Journal of the House of Commons: Volume 1, 1547-1629. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1802.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Mercurii, 9o Aprilis, 1606
B. TOUCHING the Charges of conveying Malefactors to the Gaol, brought in by Mr. Serjeant Shirley, with Amendments; and to be ingrossed.
The Bill for the suppressing of Simony, &c. reported . but, upon some Defects moved by Sir Roland Litton and others, re-committed; - Saturday.
The Matter touching the Jesuits and Seminaries living amongst us, left to Mr. Speaker; and by him to be offered to the King, at the End of the Parliament.
The Grievances read.
1. The Article touching Ordnance.
Q. upon this : - Agreed.
2. Imposition upon Currants. -
Q. upon this.
The Farmers to be heard. -
Counsel on both Parts : - Friday. -
Not against the Law, yet Grievance.
3. Patent, touching Licences for Wines : - Not against the Law, yet Grievance.
Q. - Agreed.
4. Pre-emption of Tin. -
Whether it be the King's Prerogative: - Much disputed.
Mr. Solicitor: - D. Earl of Cornwall, always given or enjoyed by those of the Blood Royal. -
King John, H. III. E. III. took it; Edw. VI. Eliz. took it: Some Kings did not. - It is not fit to dispute the Right.
Mr. Moore, Mr. Gore, Sir Herbert Crofts, Mr. Martin, Sir Wm. Stroud.
Q. - Agreed.
5. Logwood, alias Blockvvood. -
A Law, and as a Grievance .- - Both to be offered. -
Q. - Agreed.
6. Alnage : - Patent of the Duke of Lenneux for searching and sealing. - Counsel to be heard : - Friday.
7. Lord Danvers' Patents, touching Issues.
8. Imposition of Serges, at Southampton; and of Iron, Soap, and other Commodities, in Other Places.
9. Patents of green Wax in the Duchy. -
Much disputed, whether it be a Grievance.
Sir Nath. Bacon, for Suffolk : - That it is a Grievance.
Sir Rob. Hitcham; - That Bronkard's Patent might likewise be made a Grievance.
1. Q. Whether the Thing a Grievance.
2. Q. Whether the Patent a Grievance.
Sir Edwyn Sandys. -
Q. general. Whether the Leasing and Granting of Issues and Amerciaments be a Grievance.
Sir H. Bronkard's Patent referred to the Committee.
The whole Article to be better set down.
Mercurii, 9o Aprilis, 1606. Post meridiem.
Call of the House.
THE House was called; and every Man present stood up, upon the Calling of his Name; and there were found in the House 299, and in the House and
Motions were made for Collection for the Poor.
Many Excuses made; some for Sickness, some for the King's Service, and some for other Occasions.