BHO

Prebendaries: Fittleworth

Page 31

Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 5, Chichester. Originally published by Institute of Historical Research, London, 1996.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

LIST 17 PREBENDARIES OF FITTLEWORTH

PREBEND

Church of Fittleworth (W. Suss.; not in DB). First reference to preb. temp. bp. Seffrid II (16 Nov. 1180 - c. 17 March 1204) (Curia Regis Rolls IV 21). Church conf. to bp. after case in king's court in Trinity term 1205 and before Aug. 1207 (Chart. Chichester no. 339; Curia Regis Rolls IV 21). Mill of Fittleworth granted to bp. 5 March 1245 × 3 Apr. 1253 (Chart. Chichester no. 861); mill still episcopal property Sept. 1288 × Feb. 1305 (ibid. no. 862). See also Inq. Non. pp. 355a, 390-1; Valuation 1535 p. 168.

Subdcn.-preb.

Valuation 1291 £6 13s 4d (Taxatio p. 138a).

PREBENDARIES

Hugh of Lewes

Collated to this preb. by bp. S[effrid II], so before c. 17 March 1204; appeared to defend suit concerning church of Fittleworth Trinity term 1205 (Curia Regis Rolls IV 21). Also occ. as canon 11 July 1204 × 21 Aug. 1207 (Chart. Chichester no. 339) and c. 1190 × 28 July 1213 (ibid. no. 1064).

Next identified preb. is prob. M. John of Arundel, who occ. as canon 1329 and died by 16 June 1331 (2 Fasti VII 23).