Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 8, Hereford. Originally published by Institute of Historical Research, London, 2002.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
LIST 33 PREBENDARIES OF WARHAM
Warham was part of the estates of the church of Hereford by the 11th cent., held in demesne in 1086 (DB I 182b). At the time of the compilation of the Herefordshire Domesday c. 1160 × c. 1170 it was held by the bp. (Herefordshire Domesday p. 27), and bp. Robert Foliot gr. a virgate there to his serjeant Jordan of Tanton 1179 × 1186 (EEA VII no. 160). The preb. of Weram was said in the mid 13th-cent. cath. statutes to owe 10 trugs of wheat and 20 of oats to the common fund each year (LS II 55). The taxation of pope Nicholas IV of c. 1291 states that the treas. of Hereford cath. held, among other properties, a car. at Werram, assessed at £6 13s 4d, and this is prob. a reference to this preb. (Taxatio p. 168b). In 1294 the preb. of Werham was assessed at 100s in the prebendal taxation list entered into bp. Swinfield's register (Reg. Swinfield p. 305). Valor III 12 assessed this preb. at £7 13s 4d.
M. Luke de Bree
Prob. not yet can. when occ. 7 Feb. 1274 (Capes, Charters p. 133); can. perhaps by 14 Dec. 1275 (Hereford ch. no. 1758), and certainly by 8 July 1276 (Reg. Cantilupe p. 83); coll. to treasury 22 Apr. 1277 (Reg. Cantilupe pp. 120-1; list 4); as treas., unnamed, occ. holding car. at Warham c. 1291 (Taxatio p. 168). D. by 21 March 1293 when the treasury was gr. to M. John de Swinfield and his preb. of Warham to Richard of Hertford (Reg. Swinfield p. 529).
Richard of Hertford
Archdcn. of Hereford (list 6); previously preb. of Pratum Minus (list 29); coll. to preb. of Warham 21 March 1293 (Reg. Swinfield p. 529); occ. as M. Richard, archdcn. of Hereford and as resident can., preb. unspecified, 29 Sept. 1295 (Capes, Charters p. 168); d. by 1 June 1303, when his archdcnry. and his preb. of Warham were given to Henry de Schorne (Reg. Swinfield p. 535).