Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 8, Hereford. Originally published by Institute of Historical Research, London, 2002.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
LIST 31 PREBENDARIES OF PUTSON MAJOR
In the middle ages this preb. was sometimes known as Vowchurch, since a portion of the church of Vowchurch was attached to it. Putson prob. formed part of the manor of Bertune on the estates of the church of Hereford in the 11th cent., where in 1086 4 clks, held 4½ hides (DB I 181c; see also list 8). In the taxation of pope Nicholas IV, c. 1291, the preb. of Potteston, held by M. John de Swinfield, was assessed at £4 9s 8d (Taxatio p. 169b); the endowment of the preb. is there stated to consist of a car., and the church of Vowchurch is not mentioned in this entry but separately (ibid. p. 159b). In the prebendal taxation list entered into bp. Swinfield's register in 1294 the preb. of Fowechurche was assessed at 18m (Reg. Swinfield p. 305). Valor III 9 assessed the preb. of Putson Major, to which an annual portion of the church of Vowchurch was attached, at £11 13s 4½d gross, £10 13s 4½d net. The preb. was then endowed with demesne, rents from customary tenants, perquisites, small commons and an annual portion of £7 from the church of Vowchurch.
M. John de Swinfield (fn. 1)
Until 28 Jan. 1287, when his successor was coll., M. John de Swinfield was preb. of Withington Parva (list 35). He was coll. 29 Jan. 1287 to the preb. of Vowchurch (Reg. Swinfield p. 526). A portion of the church of Vowchurch is recorded in Valor III 9 as being attached to the preb. of Putson Major, and therefore references to the preb. of Vowchurch in the late 13th cent. prob. refer to Putson Major. Occ. holding preb. of Potteston c. 1291 (Taxatio p. 169). Archdcn. of Shropshire from 20 Oct. 1289 (list 7), then treas. from 21 March 1293 (list 4) and from 29 Jan. 1294 prec. of Hereford (list 3). Also can. of St Paul's, preb. of Neasden, in 1304 (Bodl. Library Record VI 160, citing CPR 1301-7 p. 206).