Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1300-1541: Volume 8, Bath and Wells Diocese. Originally published by Institute of Historical Research, London, 1964.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
PREBENDARIES OF CLEEVE
The abbots of Cleeve have not been included because they were not considered as members of the chapter at Wells. The prebend of Cleeve had been granted by bishop Savaric (1191-1205) to the abbot of Bec, and his community given full fraternity in the church of Wells (Documents of the English lands of the abbey of Bec, ed. M. Chibnall (Camden Soc., 3rd ser. lxxiii, 1951) pp. 4-5). In 1199 the monks of Bec agreed to lease the church of Cleeve to the abbot and monks of Cleeve for the sum of 44 marks annually. A list of the abbots of Cleeve is given in VCH. Somerset 11 118. A list of the abbots of Bec is given in Gallia Christiana xi 231.