Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541-1857: Volume 3, Canterbury, Rochester and Winchester Dioceses. Originally published by Institute of Historical Research, London, 1974.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Table to illustrate suspension of prebends at Canterbury, 1841-52, in accordance with Stat. 3 & 4 Vic. c. 113
s. 4 And be it enacted, That in the Chapter of the Cathedral Church of Canterbury Six Canonries shall be suspended in the following Order; that is to say, the Canonry firstly vacant shall be suspended; and the Canonry now held by the Archdeacon of Canterbury and the Canonry secondly vacant shall be subject to the Provisions hereinafter contained respecting the Endowment of Archdeaconries by the Annexation of Canonries thereto; and the Canonry thirdly vacant shall be suspended, and the Canonry fourthly vacant shall be filled up by Her Majesty; and the Two Canonries fifthly and sixthly vacant shall be suspended, and the then next vacant Canonry shall be filled up by Her Majesty; and the Two Canonries which shall then next be vacant shall be suspended; and that thereafter, upon every Fourth Vacancy among the Canonries not annexed to any Archdeaconry, the Lord Archbishop of Canterbury shall appoint a Canon, and all other Vacancies among such last-mentioned canonries shall be filled up by Her Majesty.
s. 34 And be it enacted, That, so soon as conveniently may be, . . . any Archdeaconry may be endowed by the Annexation either of an entire Canonry or of a Canonry charged with the Payment of such Portion of its Income as shall be determined on towards providing for another Archdeacon in the same Diocese . . .
Thus the prebends were reduced by 1852 to the requisite number of six, and by Order in Council 10 Nov. 1852, the 4th prebend was permanently annexed to the archdeaconry of Canterbury (Lond. Gaz. no. 21390).