BHO

Prebendaries: Stoke

Page 113

Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541-1857: Volume 9, Lincoln Diocese. Originally published by Institute of Historical Research, London, 1999.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

PREBENDARIES OF STOKE

This preb. was united with the chancellorship of Lincoln from 1458 (C.P.R. 1452-61 pp. 463-4; Cal. Papal Letters (London and Dublin, 1893-1997) XI 525; Borthwick Institute, Reg. 20 ff. 87-88v). (fn. 1)

John Coope M.A. 1660-?

Petitioned king 19 July 1660 for this preb., vac. by d. of Robert Meres [chancellor and preb. of Stoke] (Cal S.P. Dom. 1660-1 p. 125). Pres. by king 1 Aug. (P.R.O., C 66/2917, 2934). Instal. in person 23 Aug. (A/3/9 f. 208). John Pulleyn instal. by proxy as chancellor 2 Oct. and in person as preb. of All Saints in Hungate 26 Nov. (ibid. ff. 211, 215). However, the next chancellor, Samuel Fuller, was coll. as usual to preb. of Stoke 26 Apr. 1670 (Reg. XXXIII f. 129).

Stoke continued as annexed to the chancellorship to the d. of George Thomas Pretyman in 1859. New, separate, coll. made 31 Jan. 1873 (Reg. XLI p. 383).

Footnotes

  • 1. John Pope, chancellor, leased out the preb. of Stoke 27 Apr, 1544 for 50 years at £43 12s 6d p.a. (Reg. XXVI ff. 229v-230v; CA 1536-47 pp. 92-3), and John Salisbury, chancellor, leased it out 10 Aug. 1563 for 50 years at the same amount (A/3/8 ff. 8v-10).