BHO

Prebendaries: Banbury

Page 36

Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541-1857: Volume 9, Lincoln Diocese. Originally published by Institute of Historical Research, London, 1999.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

PREBENDARIES OF BANBURY

Preb. valued c. 1535 at £46 6s 8d (Valor II 164).

Matthew Smith M.A. 1512-1548.

Coll. 2 Dec. 1512 (Reg. XXIII f. 29). Instal. 15 Dec. (A/3/4 f. 49). Preb. leased out 6 July 1536 for 30 years at £56 p.a. (C.P.R. 1560-3 p. 494). Royal lic. 15 Aug. 1547 for bp. to gr. this preb. to Edward, duke of Somerset (C.P.R. 1547-8 p. 184). Probably d. 6 Feb. 1548 (commemoration of obit at Brasenose College, Oxford) (Brasenose College Quatercentenary Monographs (Oxford, 1909) IV 15-16, VII 26-7; cf. CA 1547-59 p. 20).

Henry Parry 1548.

Pres. 25 Feb. 1548 by Edward, duke of Somerset (P.D. 1548/1). Instal. by proxy 21 June (CA 1547-59 p. 20).

The preb. of Banbury had passed from the duke of Somerset to the duke of Northumberland by 8 Dec. 1551, when the latter sold it to the Crown (C.P.R. 1550-3 p. 117). Queen Elizabeth annexed it to the bpc. of Oxford (fn. 1) (Lincoln Cath. Statutes III 656).

Footnotes

  • 1. According to Survey of Cath. II 140 this happened in 1589, but no confirmation of this has been found.