A Calendar To the Feet of Fines For London and Middlesex: Volume 1, Richard I - Richard III. Originally published by Hardy & Page, London, 1892.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
1. Katherine, widow of Robert Morell, by Geoffrey, her husband, her attorney, and Martin de Capella. The dower of the said Katherine, of the gift of the said Robert, in Twiford. Martin gives to Katherine the rent which Roger (?) Palmer, Walter his brother, Ailward Stoker, Ailwin Phede, . . . . and Brihthina, the widow, held in Twiford. Anno 1.
2. Gilbert de Hendon, and Martin de Brainte. Half a hide of land in Hendon. Anno 1.
3. Roger, son of Pascarius, and Geoffrey Picot. 4 messuages in the vill of Westminster. Anno 1.
4. Roger, son of Pascarius, and Solomon Presbiter. 2 acres of land in the vill of Westminster. Anno 1.
5. John, son of Edward Prepositus, by Alban Clericus, and Master Ernald Postard'. One messuage in the vill of Westminster between the land of Gervase Bacheler and the land which was of Wlmt (?) la Lavendere, mention of Nicholas, son of the said Ernald. Anno 2.
6. John and Richard, sons of Thorold de Bedfunte, and Richard de Herierd'. 10 hides of land in Bedfunte. Anno 2.
7. Roger, son of Pascarius, and Roger Capellanus of Westminster. One messuage in Westminster, for which Roger Capellanus, quit-claims to Roger, son of Pascarius, the curtilage in the vill of Westminster which John le Furner held. Anno 2.
8. Roger, son of Hugh, and Peter, prior of the Holy Trinity, London. One hide of land in Bramleia. Anno 2.
9. Robert, son of Bernard, and Henry de Bedfunt. Henry gives to Robert a quarter of 20 acres of land in Stebenei, in exchange for the capital messuage of Bernard, his father, with the vivary, and the land called Winheard (?), Estfeld, Sortland, 4 acres in the field called Sudhdon, the lands called Rugecroft, and Nieweland, with the pool and field called Alftonesland, the fields called Petitewurth and Granwurth, lands called Langefen' and Long Pre (except half-an-acre), the services of Roger Hurscarl', Robert son of Robert de Pinkeni, Thomas, son of Alexander, Henry (?) son of Robert, Richard de Caulestoke, Matilda daughter of Bernard, Hugh son of Warine, Walter son of Bernard, Edwin de Haringue, Alice widow of Brunig' and Roger Faierloc' with their tenements; also 4 acres which Roger Horloc' held with the messuage. The said Robert retains to his use of the said quarter of 20 acres of land, the messuage which was of Edmund, son of Alured, and other land in Edrichesmad', upon Suthdon, and in Longo Prato, Fridaldre, and Niewland. Anno 2.
10. Robert, son of Turold, and Henry de Bedefunte. The whole vill (tota villa) of Westbedefunte. The said Henry and Robert grant the premises to Richard de Herierd', who gives to the said Henry 50 marks of silver, and to Robert the moiety of the said vill, with certain exceptions. Anno 2.
11. Ralph de Querendon, and Cristina, his wife, by Henry de Stoka, and James Blundum. 4½ acres of land in Edelmeton. Anno 3.
12. Albretha, daughter of Hugh, and Stephen Marescallus, and Alice, his wife. One messuage in the vill of Westminster. Anno 3.
13. Roger, son of Paskarius, and Nicholas Clericus. One curtilage in the vill of Westminster. Anno 3.
14. Geoffrey de Forde, and Ailward de Forde. 12 acres of land and one acre of meadow in Edelmeton. Anno 3.
15. John Bocointe, and William Blemund. One carucate of land in Totenhale. Anno 3.
16. William, son of Alulf', and John de Hulle. 8 acres of land and 3 acres of meadow in Brambeleg'. Anno 4.
17. Ralph de Querendon' and Cristina, his wife, and the Infirmi of St. Giles's, London. 5 acres of land, and one messuage, and 1 acre of meadow in Edelmeton. Anno 4.
18. William, son of Reinerus, and Robert de la Forde. 4 acres of land, and 2½ acres of meadow in Edelmeton. Anno 4.
19. William, son of Alulf, and Ida Triket, whom Robert Burell calls to warrant. 8 acres land and 3 acres of meadow in Brambeleg'. Anno 4.
20. Henry Clericus, son of Humphry Buconte and Richard, prior of the church of St. Bartholomew, London, by Andrew Canonicus. One virgate of land in Heggwere. Anno 4.
21. Robert Mauditt and Paveia de Langeditch and Thomas, her son. Half an acre of meadow in the vill of Westminster.
22. Stephen Parmentar' and Henry, son of Reinerus, Richard Serico (?), and William Carpenter. One curtilage, and 5 messuages in the parish of St. Clement Danes. Anno 4.
23. Robert, son of Edward, and Robert de Clifford. 18 acres of land in the parish of St. Pancras juxta Purtepol. Warranty by Robert de Clifford to Richard, son of Gunhild. Anno 4.
24. Luc' de Greneford and Adam de Estgreneford. Half a virgate of land in Estgreneford, to wit:—6 acres in the field called Lukemere towards the west and 3 acres towards the east; and in the field which extends towards Brainte, 2 acres towards the south, and 4 perches (?); besides one acre towards the church; and towards the north, one acre; and in Estfeld 1½ acres towards Horsendun; and in Westfeld, 1½ acres towards the same place. Anno 4.
25. Roger, son of Pascar', and John, son of Edward. One curtilage, 3 messuages, and 6 acres of land in the vill of Westminster. Warranty by the same John to Umphry de Langemere, Martin King, Robert le Marun, Cecilia, widow of Edward Prepositus, and William Cunarius. Memorandum as to right of way. Anno 4.
26. Henry, son of Humphry, and Andrew Blundun', and Lucy, his wife. One virgate of land (described) in Eggeswer'. Warranty by John, son of Walleramin'. Anno 4.
27. Robert de Lenelande (Leveland?), and Osbert de Lutleton. One knight's fee in Lutleton with the advowson of the Church of the same vill. Anno 5.
28. John Bukuionte, and Peter, prior of the Holy Trinity, London. Half a virgate of land and 5 acres of meadow in Edelmeton. Anno 5.
29. James, son of Firmin', and Cristina his wife, and Jordan de Purtepole. 5 acres of land and one messuage in Hida. Anno 5.
30. Reginald Purcell, and Edith, widow of William Purcell. One acre of land in Holeburne, next the Old Temple, without the Bar. Reginald quit-claims all right in this land to Edith; and she releases to him all her claim, as dower, in the free tenement which was of William Purcell, father of the said Reginald. This agreement was made in the presence of William, son of Stephen, who had a charter of the said William, of 9 acres of land in Fuleham, contained in the dower of the said Edith; his right in this, he quit-claims for himself and his heirs for ever, and Reginald gives him half a mark of silver. Anno 5.
31. Hugh, son of Ailwin, son of Edward, and Henry, son of Ailwin. Half a hide of land in Edelmeton. Anno 5.
32. Richard, son of Ernulf, and Robert le Mascun'. One messuage in Westminster. Anno 5.
33. William de Barra, and Ascelina, his wife, and Clementia, prioress of Haliwell. 3 acres of garden in Eldestrate and two messuages in the parish of St. Giles, near Rosy Cross, without Cripelgate. Warranty by the said prioress to Richard de Umframville. Anno 5.
34. Gunild', widow of William, and John de Westmonasterio. One messuage in Westminster. Anno 5.
35. Roger de la Dune, and Godfrey, son of Ralph, and Robert le Simple. 2 parts of 2 hides of land in Coueleg'. Memorandum that Robert and his heirs warrant Roger and Godfrey and their heirs against the abbot and convent of Westminster of the service which that land owes to them; and that Roger and Godfrey and their heirs ought to warrant the premises against Walter de Greneford and his heirs, and that only Robert and his heirs ought to do the services which pertain to the land of Couele, to the abbot and convent of Westminster. Anno 5.
36. Roger, son of Alan, and John, son of Geoffrey Buk. One third of a hide of land and one messuage in Edelmetone. John acknowledges the premises to be the right of Roger; in consideration of which, Roger grants to John the capital messuage which was of William, son of Fubert, and the great field which extends therefrom to the highway, the fields called Stonifeld (?) and Chanterelefeld, the eastern moieties of Palmeresfeld, Wulvesfeld, Wenmaresfeld, Great Rudings, and numerous others; and also the moiety of the wood called Frith, all in Edelmeton. Boundaries described and owners' names given. Anno 6.
37. John de Coleville, and Alice his wife, and John de Wika. Half a messuage in Westminster which Alice claimed as dower of her former husband, William de London. Anno 6.
38. Gilbert, son of Walter, and Richard de Punchard. One hide of land in Tikeham. Anno 6.
39. John, son of Raenere, and Osgod' de Stanes. One messuage in Stanes. Anno 6.
40. William Parvus, and William de Herlaue by Nicholas de Herlaue. 3 acres of land, one acre of meadow, and 3 messuages in Eya. Anno 7.
41. Peter Fauset, and John le Butiller. One messuage in Westminster. Anno 7.
42. Hugh Capellanus, and Reinfrid' de Bruera and and Alina his wife. Half a virgate, and 10 acres of land, in Herefeld. Recital of Charter:—Reinfrid de Bruera, son of Roger, and Alina his wife, daughter of Geoffrey, son of Baldwin, give and grant to Hugh, the chaplain of Geoffrey Fitz Pierre, Earl of Essex, for his homage and service, Geldehest (?) with all the assarts, between the burn of Rislay . . . and the highway from Watford towards Uxebridge, and from the burn of Ykeham to the same highway; saving the ways of Gateford and Ykeham, (full description of premises). Anno 7.
43. William Parvus, and Richard le Haut and Adelina his wife. 5½ acres of land in Eya. Anno 7.
44. Eustace, son of William, and Alexander Capellanus. 2 messuages and 2 curtilages in the parish of St. Clement extending from the highway to the Thames in the tenure of Gilbert Kanne and Robert Turkil' (?). Eustace had acknowledged the premises to be the right of the said Alexander, for which acknowledgement Alexander grants the same to Eustace and his heirs, to hold of Eustace de Faucunberg'. The brethren of the hospital of St. Bartholomew are chief lords of the fee. Anno 7.
45. Alexander, son of Alexander, and John, son of Ralph. 2 messuages and 2 acres of land in Westminster. Anno 8.
46. John, son of Ralph le Masoun, and Michael le Sergant and Gervase Parmentar'. One messuage and 8 acres of land in Holeborne, Purtepol, and Bradeford. These are acknowledged to be the right of the said John, who, in exchange, gives to Michael and Gervase a moiety of the croft which Gamel held and half an acre of land this side (citra) Purtepol, towards the south. Anno 8.
47. Henry, son of Peter, and William, son of Pagan. Half a virgate of land in Lalham which is acknowledged to be the right of the said William, in return for which, he gives to the said Henry a moiety of the premises lying in Langfurland, Middelfurlang, Brocfurlang, Becherferd, Brache, Shelpe', Bottefurlang, &c. Anno 8.
48. Henry Tubelm', and Alice, prioress of Keleburne, by brother Osmund, her attorney. One virgate of land in Estburnham. Henry acknowledges this to be right of the same prioress and her church of St. John of Kelebirne. Anno 9.
49. Adam de Dierherst and Matilda, his wife, and Robert Mauduit. One messuage in Westminster. Anno 9.
50. Brand' Cocus and Alice, his wife, and Robert Molendinarius. One messuage in Westminster. Anno 9.
51. John, son of Ralph, and Ogbert Capellanus. 8 acres of land in Kentisston. Ogbert calls to warrant Simon le Serjant and they acknowledge the premises to be right of the said John, who grants to Ogbert 2 acres of the same land next to Broca towards the south. Anno 9.
52. William Cimentarius and Matilda, his wife, and John Testard'. One messuage in the vill of Westminster. Vouchee to warranty, Richard Testard'. Anno 9.
53. Ralph Treipiet, and Thomas le Hare. Half a virgate of land in Sceperton which Gunnilda, daughter of Frebert, demanded against the said Ralph. This the said Ralph gives to the said Thomas in exchange for 10 acres of land in Erbergefeld which Aluric Labie held. Anno 9.
54. Gunnilda, daughter of Ferebert, by William de Halgeford, her attorney, and Ralph Treipiet. Half a virgate of land in Sceperton, whereof the said Ralph calls to warrant Thomas le Hare. Anno 9.
55. Robert de Norf' and Theofania, his wife, and Isaac the Jew, son of Joiceus "Episcopus." One messuage in London which was of Reinard Mercerus in the parish of St. Olave. Anno 10.
56. Brother Robert, prior of the hospital of Jerusalem in England, by brother Gilbert, his attorney, and Lecia de Munteun (?), by Robert, son of Gervase, her attorney. 3 hides of land in Clerkenewell. Lecia acknowledges the premises to be the right of the said prior and the other brothers of this said hospital, to hold of her and her heirs by the annual render of 12d. Saving the land of Gundreda de Warenn'. To hold from the first feast of St. Michael after the consecration of Joscelin, Bishop of Bath, for ten years, according to the fine made between the said Gundreda and Letia. Mention of Reginald de Mortuo Mari, attorney by the said Gundreda. Anno 12.
57. Robert, son of Tiel', and Hugh de Clahull, and Alice his wife, by John Haket, her attorney. Half a virgate of land in Herrefeld. Anno 14.
58. Dionisia de Greneford, and Reginald de Cornhull, by Stephen de Boncistien (?), his attorney. Three parts of half a knight's fee in Greneford, which Dionisia claimed as dower given to her by her late husband, Luke de Greneford. Anno 14.
59. Adam de Westmonasterio and Matilda, his wife, and Robert Mauduit. 4s. rent in the vill of Westminster. Anno 14.
60. Peter, prior of the Holy Trinity, London, and Hasculf Gernet. One hide and a half of land in Brambeleg' of the fee of the Earl W. de Mandeville. Hasculf acknowledges the premises to be the right of the said prior and his church, as those which William, son of Guy (Wydonis), greatgrand-father (proavus) of Hasculf, and William, his son, and Alice, mother [daughter ?] of Galien, mother of the same Hasculf, gave to the said church. Anno 14.
61. Roger, son of Richard de Camberhirst, and Walter de Couele. Half a hide of land in Hatton. Anno 14.
62. Henry Bucuinte, and John Walram. The services and customs exacted by the same Henry from the same John in respect of one virgate and 7 acres of land, held by John, of Henry, in Stanmere. Anno 14.
63. Juliana, widow of Robert Simplex, by Simon de Pinken', her attorney, and Umphry de Scovill (?), and Matilda his wife, by Richard de Scovill, her attorney. The third part of 3 parts of 2 hides of land in Couele, of one carucate of land in Feltham, of 2 virgates of land in Northal, and of 2 virgates of land in Rokeshal. Juliana claims the premises as her dower, given to her by Robert. Umphry and Matilda grant to Juliana a portion of the premises for term of her life, and she remits to them all her claim in the remainder. Anno 15.
64. Adam de Tarent, and Nicholas de Sancto Germano. 6 acres of land in Twikeham. And between the same Adam, and Richard Postell. Half a virgate of land in the same vill. And between the same Adam, and Richard Snel. Half an acre of land in the same vill. Richard Snel calls to warrant Geoffrey Postell. Anno 16.
65. Adam de Tarent, and Geoffrey Postell. One virgate of land in Twikeham. Anno 16.