Charters and Documents Relating To the City of Glasgow 1175-1649 Part 1. Originally published by Scottish Burgh Records Society, Glasgow, 1897.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
V.—SUCCESSION OF BISHOPS AND ARCHBISHOPS OF GLASGOW FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE CITY, 1175-78, TILL 1649.
Bishop William (Wischard), 1270–1271. Never consecrated. Chancellor of the Kingdom, 1256–1274. Postulated to St. Andrews after death of Archbishop Gameline in 1271, but not consecrated till 1274. One of the Guardians of Scotland.
Bishop John (de Lindesay), apparently in 1318–1325. Great Chamberlain of the Kingdom, 1279–1285. Chancellor of the Kingdom in 1321 (?). Doubts exist as to the succession to the Bishopric between Bishop Robert (Wischard) in 1316 and Bishop John (de Lindesay). See Pref., p. xxii., footnote 1.
Bishop Andrew (Muirhead), 1455–1473. One of the Lords of the Regency during the minority of James III., 1460. Commissioner to negotiate treaty of peace with England, 1462 and 1472. Commissioner to Denmark in 1468 to treat as to the King's marriage.
Bishop, afterwards Archbishop, Robert (Blacader), 1484–1508. See erected into an Archbishopric in 1491. A Commissioner to negotiate the marriage between James IV. and Margaret, eldest daughter of Henry VII., which formed the foundation of the union of the Crowns of England and Scotland.
Archbishop James (Bethune, or Beaton), 1508–1522. Lord High Treasurer, 1505–1508. Chancellor of the Kingdom, 1515–1525. A Lord of the Regency during the absence of the Governor of the Kingdom in France in 1517. Translated to St. Andrews, 1522.
Archbishop James (Bethune, or Beaton), 1551–1568. Went to France in 1560, taking with him the muniments of the See. Appointed by Queen Mary to be her Ambassador at the Court of France. After the Queen's execution, appointed by James VI. to be his Ambassador at the French Court. Restored to the Archbishopric in 1598, but never returned to Scotland.
Archbishop John (Spottiswood), 1605–1615. Nominated by James VI. to be Archbishop, 1603. Appointed by the Queen to be her Almoner, 1602. Received Episcopal Consecration in London, 1610. Translated to the Archbishopric of St. Andrews, 1615. Chancellor of the Kingdom, 1635.