Charters and Documents Relating To the City of Glasgow 1175-1649 Part 1. Originally published by Scottish Burgh Records Society, Glasgow, 1897.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
VI.—SUCCESSION OF MINISTERS IN GLASGOW FROM THE REFORMATION TILL 1649.
HIGH CHURCH, ST. MUNGO'S CHURCH-THE CATHEDRAL.
1562. Mr. David Wemyss, translated from Ratho; had charge of the north quarter of the city till 1605. Died 10th September, 1615.
1616. Robert Scott, A.M., translated from the collegiate charge about 1616. Died 18th January, 1629.
1629. John Maxwell, A.M., translated from Eastwood; admitted 16th January, 1630, and had charge of the western quarter of the city from 1630 till his deposition on 1st May, 1639, on account of adherence to Episcopacy.
1641. Edward Wright, A.M., translated from Clackmannan, and admitted 25th April; had charge of the east quarter of the city from 1642 to 1646; translated to Falkirk 15th September, 1646.
1647. Robert Ramsay, A.M., translated from Blackfriars Church; presented by King Charles I. 15th March, and admitted 16th April; north quarter of the city assigned to him; appointed principal of the University 28th August, 1651. Died 4th September, 1651.
1587. John Cowper, translated from Edinburgh; admitted 28th February; eastern district of the city and parish assigned to him from 1588 till his death. Died 25th December, 1603.
1604. Robert Scott, A.M., promoted to charge from being regent in the University; presented 5th, and admitted 9th December; had charge of western quarter of the city from 1605 to 1606, and of eastern quarter from 1607 to 1627; translated to principal charge about 1616.
1612. William Struthers, A.M., translated from Lenzie by Archbishop Spottiswood 7th April, and admitted 3rd May; had charge of western district of city and parish from 1612 to 1614; translated to Edinburgh after 14th July, 1614.
1640. David Dickson, A.M., professor of divinity in the University; admitted 18th May; appears to have resigned his charge, retaining his professorship.
ST. MARY'S or TRON CHURCH.
1594. John Bell, promoted from being regent in the University and minister of Cardross; entered before 24th September, and admitted after 7th March; had charge of the western quarter of the city from 1594 to 1603; of the eastern quarter from 1604 to 1606; and of the northern quarter from 1607 to 1641. Died 25th March, 1641.
1628. John Bell, Junior, A.M.; settled, probably as assistant, in 1628; had charge of the west quarter of the city; translated to Eaglesham in 1631, and to the Blackfriars or College Church on 9th March, 1636.
1642. Robert Baillie, A.M., translated from Kilwinning, and holding in conjunction the second professorship of divinity in the University; admitted 11th August; held his charge till 13th April, 1649, after which he was appointed principal of the University. Died August, 1662.
1644. Hew Blair, A.M., translated from Eastwood; called 21st August, 1643; admitted between 11th and 24th January, 1644; had charge of the west quarter of the city from 1644 till 1646; of the east quarter from 1647 till 1651; and of the north quarter from 1652 till 1663. Joined the party of Resolutioners in 1651; returned to Episcopacy in 1662, and died 27th January, 1663.
1644. George Young, A.M., translated from Mauchline; admitted to the High Church 26th May, but a difference arising about the stipend, he was settled in this charge; south quarter of the city assigned to him from 1644 till 1646; the west quarter from 1647 to 1651; and the east quarter from 1652 till his death on 26th March, 1659.
BLACKFRIARS or COLLEGE CHURCH.
This church belonged originally to the University, was rebuilt in 1622, and was disponed by the University to the city on 4th June, 1635.
1621. Robert Wilkie, A.M., translated from Douglas; admitted before 18th July; had charge of the west quarter of the city from 1622 till 1627, and of the east quarter from 1628 till his death on 20th February, 1640.
1633. James Elliot, A.M., admitted 27th November, 1633; transferred to Edinburgh in December, 1635.
1636. John Bell, Junior, A.M., translated from Eaglesham, and admitted 9th March; had charge of the south district, a new district of the city and parish, till his death on 20th February, 1640.
1640. Robert Ramsay, A.M., translated from Dundonald; presented by the town council on 12th November, and admitted 13th December; had charge of the west quarter of the city in 1641 and 1642, and the north quarter from 1642 till his removal; translated to the High Church on 16th April, 1647.
1647. James Durham, A.M., presented by the town council on 22nd September, and ordained and admitted on 2nd December; had charge of the south quarter of the city from 1647 to 1648; appointed chaplain to the king in July, 1650.
OUTER HIGH CHURCH.
1648. Patrick Gillespie, A.M., translated from Kirkcaldy; called 6th September, 1647, and admitted in January, 1648; had the Saltmarket and Bridgegate, or south district, assigned to him; deposed on 30th July, 1651, for protesting against the lawfulness and proceedings of the General Assembly; presented to the principalship of the University on 14th April, 1653. Died February, 1675.