Charters and Documents Relating To the City of Glasgow 1175-1649 Part 1. Originally published by Scottish Burgh Records Society, Glasgow, 1897.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
ABSTRACT OF CHARTERS AND DOCUMENTS.
Supplementary to Abstract printed in Part II., pp. 429–490.
(The figures and letters within brackets [ ] indicate the position which the supplementary abstracts should occupy chronologically with the abstracts printed in Part II.
8 January 1106-7–27 April 1124.
268 [Oa]. INQUISITION made by DAVID, Prince of Cumbria, in the reign of King Alexander I., into the lands belonging to the Church of Glasgow, which were found to comprise inter alia "Cunclut," probably Kinclaith, now forming part of Glasgow Green. Circa 1116.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 3, No. 1.
Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland (Supplement), vol. xii., p. 1.
24 May 1153–9 December 1165.
269 [0b]. CHARTER by KING MALCOLM IV. granting to Engelram, bishop of Glasgow, and his successors, the lands of Cunclud to compensate for the king's transgression against the Church in granting certain lands to his barons and knights without sufficiently securing the Church in its dues. Ante 1165.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 16, No. 15.
WILLIAM THE LION.
9 December 1165–4 December 1214.
270 [0c]. BULL by POPE ALEXANDER III. addressed to the dean and canons of Glasgow, taking under his protection and that of St. Peter all their canonical possessions, including the parish of Glasgw, the Church of Guvan with all Perdehic, a carrucate of land in Glasgw, with the Church of Cadiho, &c. 25 March 1172.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 25, No. 28.
271 [0d]. CHARTER by KING WILLIAM THE LION granting to the bishop the lands of Conclud, Cader, and Badermonoc. 1165-1174.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 28, No. 29.
272 [0e]. BULL by POPE ALEXANDER III. addressed to Bishop Jocelin and his successors, taking under his protection and that of St. Peter all the possessions present and future of the Church of Glasgow, including Glasgu, Guvan, Partheic, Dalmurneck, Conclud, &c. 29 April 1174.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 30, No. 32.
273 [1a]. BULL by POPE ALEXANDER III. addressed to Bishop Jocelin and his successors, taking under his protection and that of St. Peter all the possessions present and future of the Church of Glasgow, including Glasgu with all its pertinents, the burgh of Glasgu with all its liberties which William, King of Scots, granted to it, Guvan, Pertheic, "villam filie Sedin" [Schedinestun], Kader, Badermonoc, Ballain, and Conclud. Rome 19 April 1179.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 42, No. 51.
274 [2a]. BULL by POPE LUCIUS III. similar in terms to No. 273. Rome, 17 March 1181. In this bull "villam filie Sedin" becomes "villam filie Scadin."
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 49, No. 57.
275 [2b]. BULL by POPE URBAN III. confirming to Bishop Joceline all his possessions, including that place in which the Church of Glasgow is situated, the burgh of Glasgw, Neutun, Garuah, Dalmornoc, Carnedin, Cragu, Guvan, Perthec, Schedinestun, Buthlornoc, Barlannarc, Cader, Badermonoc, Ballain, Conclud, and a number of other places mentioned. Verona, 12 June 1186.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 54, No. 62.
4 December 1214–8 July 1249.
276 [4a]. BULL by POPE HONORIUS III. confirming to the bishop the possessions of the Church of Glasgow, including Glasgow, Guvan, Sedinchistun, and Conclud. 19 October 1216.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 94, No. 111.
277 [4b]. GRANT by WILLIAM CUMYN, Earl of Buchan, of a stone of wax annually at Glasgow fair for light at the daily celebration of mass at the altar of St. Kentigern's tomb. Ante 1223.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 101, No. 117.
278 [9a]. CHARTER by KING ALEXANDER II. granting to William, bishop of Glasgow and his successors, his lands around Glasgu, viz., the lands of Conclud, Shedinestun, Ballayn, Badermonoc, Possele, Kenmor, Garvach, Neutun, Leys, Rammishoren, and the land of the burgh, and other lands of the manor of Glasgu, to be held forever in free forest, and forbidding anyone to cut wood or hunt therein without their licence. Kirketun, 12 September 1241.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 147, No. 180.
8 July 1249–19 March 1286.
279 [11a]. OBLIGATION undertaken by the canons of the Cathedral during a vacancy in the see, providing that if any of them should be elected bishop, he should remove the palace which stood without the castle of Glasgow, and give its site with other ground adjoining for houses for the canons. Glasgow, 2 January 1258.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 166, No. 208.
280 [11b]. CHARTER by John, bishop of Glasgow, with consent of the chapter, granting to Sir William de Cadihow, a canon of the Church of Glasgow, a portion of the bishop's garden at Glasgow, with the trees and buildings thereon, subject to the condition that he should make and maintain a sufficient cloister between his portion and the bishop's garden. 1260-8.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 177, No. 217.
281 [11c]. OBLIGATION similar to No. 279. Glasgow, 1268.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 174, No. 213.
19 March 1285-6—September 1290.
282 [13a]. CHARTER by FINLAY JAGER, son of Radulph Jager, burgess of Glasgow, after making offer in three courts of the burgh, as manner is, in his great poverty, conveying to Sir James, called of Reinfru, chaplain, his house and garden with buildings pertaining to the same in the street which extends from the wall of the friars preachers, over against the castle, on the south side of said street, situated between the land of the monastery of Kilwinyn on the one part, and the land which Robert, the procurator, formerly a burgess of Glasgow, and Cristina his wife, conveyed in augmentation of the light of the blessed Virgin Mary in the crypt of the greater Church of Glasgow, on the other part. Sealed with the seal of the granter and the common seal of the City of Glasgow. Glasgow, circa 1290.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 198, No. 237.
September 1290–17 November 1292.
17 November 1292—July 1296.
July 1296–26 March 1306.
283 [14a]. CHARTER by ALAN, perpetual vicar of the Church of Glasgow, and sacristan of the said church, granting, with consent of the chapter, to Sir John of Carrick, then chaplain of the parish of Glasgow, all that land then vacant lying within the burgh of Glasgow opposite the Friars Preachers, between the land of Malcolm called Scot, on the north, and the vennel or road of the said preachers, on the south, for an annual payment of three shillings. Sealed with the seals of the granter, of the official, and of the community of Glasgow. Glasgow, circa 1300.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 216, No. 254.
284 [14b]. GRANT by the bishop and chapter to the Friars Preachers of Glasgow of a spring called the meadow well rising in the Denside, to be conducted into the cloisters of the friars, 17 August 1304, and confirmation of the grant by the chapter of Glasgow. 24 August 1304.
Transumpt in the Archives of the University.
Registratum Episcopatus Glasguensis, Preface, p. xxxiii.
Monumenta Fratrum Predicatorum de Glasgu (Maitland Club), No. 6, p. 151.
20 February 1437.8–3 August 1460.
285 [26a]. FOUNDATION by PATRICK LEICHE, chancellor of the cathedral, of a new chapel with the chaplainry thereof, to St. Mauchan, within the nave of the cathedral, on the north side, at the altar of St. Mauchan, at the third pillar from the roodloft; and for support of the same conveying certain tenements and annual rents from tenements situated in the High Street and Ratonraw; and providing that after the death of the founder the presentation to the chapel should belong to the community and bailies of the city and burgh of Glasgow, who should present a qualified chaplain, who must be a burgess of the city, preference being given to relatives of the founder. Glasgow, 6 March 1458-9.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 392, No. 369.
3 August 1460–11 June 1488.
286 [32a]. CHARTER by BISHOP MUIRHEAD confirming a charter by which James Douglas of Achincassil founded a chaplainry of ten pounds with a chaplain, within the nave of the cathedral, on the south side, at the altar of St. Cuthbert, and conveyed annual rents from tenements in the burghs of Glasgow and Linlithgow for support of the same; (fn. 1) the presentation thereto, after the founder's death, being given to the provost, bailies, and community of the burgh and city of Glasgow. 29 January 1472-3.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 419, No. 396.
287 [35a]. CHARTER under the GREAT SEAL by King James III., whereby, for the singular favour and regard which he bore towards the Friars Minors, and for the welfare of his soul, he mortified to them the sites belonging to these friars within the burgh of Edinburgh, the city of St. Andrews, and the burgh of Aberdeen, and also the site within the city of Glasgow, gifted by John, Bishop of Glasgow, with the consent of his chapter, and by Thomas Fersithe, rector of Glasgow. Edinburgh, 21 December 1479.
Registrum Magni Sigilli, lib. ix., No. 2.
Great Seal Register, 1424-1513, (Lord Clerk Register's Edition), vol. i., p. 296, No. 1434.
288 [36a]. FOUNDATION by THOMAS of FORSITH, canon of Glasgow, of a new chaplainry with a chaplain, in the nave of the cathedral, on the north side, at the altar of Corpus Christi, at the fourth pillar from the rood-loft; and for the support of the same conveying inter alia four merks of annual rent from the tolbooth (pretorium) of the city and burgh of Glasgow lying adjacent to the market cross of Glasgow, and extending towards the west to the chapel of the Virgin Mary. 16 June 1487.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 452, No. 446.
289. BULL by POPE INNOCENT VIII. exempting the bishop of Glasgow from the jurisdiction of the archbishop of St. Andrews., Rome, 8 Kalends of June, 1488.
Theiner's Vetera Monumenta Hibernorum et Scotorum, p. 502.
11 June 1488–9 September 1513.
290 [37a] ACT of PARLIAMENT empowering the earl of Lennox, lord Lile, and Matthew Stewart to apprehend and punish criminals in Glasgow and other places therein specified, during the minority of the king (James IV.) (1488 c. 9). Edinburgh, 17 October 1488.
Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland, vol. ii., p. 280.
291 [37b]. PRECEPT by KING JAMES IV., addressed in special to the burgesses, freemen, and inhabitants of his burghs of Are, Erwyne, Renfrew, Dunbartan, Ruglene, and Glasgu, charging them, as he had lately granted to the abbot and convent of Paisley the town of Paisley in a free burgh of barony, not to take in hand to vex or trouble the abbot and convent in the enjoyment of that burgh and the privileges thereof. Edinburgh, 18 October 1488.
Registrum Monasterii de Passelet, p. 274.
292 [37c]. ACT of PARLIAMENT ordaining that, for the honour and public good of the realm the see of Glasgow be erected into an Archbishopric, with such privileges as accords of law, and such as the Archbishopric of York has in all dignities, immunities, and privileges, as use and custom are, and as shall be agreed between the bishop of Glasgow and the prelates and barons with whom the king may advise; and that none of the king's lieges do in the contrary, under the king's indignation and pain of breaking the act of Parliament (1488, c. 2). Edinburgh, 14 January 1488-9.
Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland, vol. ii., p. 213.
293 [39a]. BULL by POPE INNOCENT VIII. erecting the See of Glasgow into an Archbishopric, and constituting the bishops of Dunkeld, Dunblane, Galloway, and Argyle its suffragans. Rome, the 5th of the Ides of January [9 January] 1491-2.
Codex Universitatis Glasguensis, fol. 873.
Codex Civitatis Glasguensis, fol. 119.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 470, No. 457.
Theiner's Vetera Monumenta Hiberniarum et Scotorum, p. 505.
294 [42c]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of Thomas Huchonsoun, citizen of Glasgow, of two roods of the common lands of Glasgow, lying in the king's highway thereof, extending from the Barresyet to the bridge on the south side of the street (Bridgegate), between the common lands on the east and west and the Molendinar burn, to which these roods extend, on the south, and the street on the north; granting with express consent of the provost and community there present that the west parts of the roods towards the bridge should be the designation and site of a vennel to extend in length from the public street to the Molendinar, and in breadth from the extreme boundaries of the roods towards the bridge, so that the lands adjoining on the west side should not be occupied by any one or closed up with buildings. For payment to the treasury or common purse of Glasgow of 16s. 8d. yearly in name of feufarm. Glasgow, 21 April 1503.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 287, vol. ii., p. 32.
295 [42d]. INSTRUMENT on the protest by Patrick Blacader, knight, procurator for the citizens and community of Glasgow, that the grant of the vennel made by the provost, bailies, and community to Thomas Huchonsone on the west side of his own lands, should not prejudice the tack of the other common lands towards the bridge. Glasgow, 21 April 1503.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 289, vol. ii., p. 36.
296 [42e]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of David Lindsay, bailie of Glasgow, of two roods of the common lands of the city, lying in the king's highway leading from the Barresyet to the bridge on the south side of the highway, for payment yearly to the treasury or common purse of the community of Glasgow of 16s. 8d. in name of feufarm. Glasgow, 21 April 1503.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 290, vol. ii., p. 36.
297 [42f]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of Alexander Gayne of two roods of land belonging to the community of Glasgow, lying on the south side of the king's highway leading from the Barresyet to the bridge, for payment yearly to the treasury or common purse of the community of Glasgow of 20s. in name of feufarm. Glasgow, 21 April 1503.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 290, vol. ii., p. 37.
298 [42g]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of Thomas Boyde of two roods of land belonging to the community of Glasgow lying on the south side of the highway leading from the Barresyet to the bridge, and adjoining the lands of Alexander Gayne, for payment yearly of 13s. 4d. Glasgow, 21 April 1503.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 291, vol. ii., p. 38.
299 [42h]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of Alan Morsoun of two roods of land belonging to the community of Glasgow lying in the south side of the king's highway leading from the Barresyet to the bridge, adjoining the lands of Thomas Boyde, for payment yearly of 10s. Glasgow, 21 April 1503.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 291, vol. ii., p. 39.
300 [42a]. PROTEST by THOMAS HUCHONSOUN, one of the bailies of Glasgow, appearing in name of the whole community of the city before Robert, archbishop of Glasgow, and his chapter, that the community and their posterity should not be prejudiced with respect to the custom of the payment of mort dues, whatever John Curry might do, or whatever might be done against him, in the cause between him and Mr. David Chonigham, second vicar of Glasgow, respecting the custom of paying mort dues in the parish of Glasgow. Glasgow, 9 March 1503-4.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 296, vol. ii., p. 48.
301 [42b]. PROTEST by DAVID CONIGHAM, second vicar of Glasgow, before the archbishop and chapter with reference to the action of the community in the same matter. Glasgow, 9 March 1503-4.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), &c., vol. i., p. 297, vol. ii., p. 49.
302 [42i]. INSTRUMENT narrating the presentation by Mr. Martin Rede, chancellor of Glasgow (who claimed in virtue of his office to be master of the Grammar Schools there), of Mr. John Rede to the said schools, and protest thereon by Sir John Stewart of Mynto, knight, provost of Glasgow, and others, who claimed for the provost, bailies, and community the right of admitting the said Mr. John and the other masters of the schools of Glasgow; upon which protest both parties referred themselves to the foundation and letters of the late Mr. Simon Dalgles [No. 28]. Glasgow, 19 June 1508.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 427, vol. ii., p. 267.
303 [44a]. FOUNDATION by SIR ARCHIBALD CALDERWOOD, vicar of Cadder, conveying certain annual rents out of his place "anent the patigoge" of Glasgow, and his place on "the freyr wall" of Glasgow, to the Black Friars, the regents and students of the pedagogy, and others, for prayers, masses and other purposes; appointing the dean of Faculty of Glasgow to be overseer in the premises; and leaving eightpence yearly therefrom to St. Mungo's bell to pass through the town on All Souls' day, and on the morrow to "gar pray" for the souls of his father, mother, himself and all Christians. 27 November 1509.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 522, No. 489.
304 [44b]. NOTARIAL INSTRUMENT narrating proceedings in a case before the Chancellor and Official General and his commissary against John Schaw, Allan Steward, and Thomas Law, bailies of the burgh of Glasgow, and other fellow citizens therein named, for establishing and recording in their book of Acts certain statutes against the jurisdiction of Holy Mother Church, to the effect that no citizen ought to summon another citizen before a spiritual judge ordinary respecting a matter which could competently be decided before the bailies in the court house of Glasgow, and for fining Allan Leitham for complaining to the official against Archibald Watson, a fellow citizen, wherein compeared Matthew, Earl of Lennox, provost of Glasgow, to defend the said bailies and citizens, and protested they would not recede from their lawful exceptions and defences of law to be afterwards brought forward at suitable time and place. Glasgow, 7 December 1510.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 495, vol. ii., p. 385.
305 [44c]. NOTARIAL INSTRUMENT narrating that Matthew, Earl of Lennox, provost of Glasgow, as procurator for the bailies and certain other citizens of Glasgow appeared before James, Archbishop of Glasgow, and his chapter, and publicly confessed in their name that they had fined Allan Leithame 8s. for injury done by him to Archibald Watson in calling the said Archibald before another judge "for half ane hundredth lentern waire." Also, Instrument on the renunciation by the provost, in name of himself and the citizens of Glasgow, of all statutes—if any were made by them— against the liberty and jurisdiction of Holy Mother Church, promising never to put them in execution. Glasgow, 16 January 1510-1.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 499, vol. ii., p. 390.
9 September 1513–16 December 1542.
306 [45a]. SEAL of CAUSE by the provost, bailies, council and community of the burgh and city of Glasgow, with the consent of the archbishop, whereby, on the supplication of the kirk-masters and the rest of the Skinners' and Furriers' Crafts, they ratified and approved the following articles:—(1) No person of these crafts to set up booth within the burgh unless he were first a freeman found sufficiently able and worthy in workmanship and otherwise, and admitted thereto by the provost, bailies, and council and sworn masters of the crafts. (2) Each craftsman to pay for his upset, if a freeman's son, 5s., and if an unfreeman's son 10s., Scots money, to the reparation and upholding of divine service at their altar of St. Mungo. (3) No masters to reset any other master's apprentice or freeman, under the penalty of a pound of wax for each offence. (4) Each master to pay a penny weekly to the adornments of the altar and vestments of the priest. (5) No false stuff to be sold to the king's lieges, under penalty of half a pound of wax to the altar, the false stuff being confiscated. (6) Any persons intromitting with or withholding the goods of the altar and crafts customs, to pay and deliver the same, with the expense of his proper goods if he be in fault. (7) The kirkmasters and principals for the time to have power, along with an officer of the town, to poind and distrain for the foresaid duties to the upholding of God's service; and (8) The craftsmen to have the solemnity of the feast of their altar on the Sunday next after St. James' day. Glasgow, 28 May 1516.
Notarial copy of Seal of Cause, dated 8 December 1707, in the Archives of Skinners' Incorporation.
Annals of the Skinners' Craft in Glasgow, 1875, p. 114.
307 [45b]. ACTION at the instance of the Lord Governor of the kingdom and Matthew Hucheson, porter of the castle of Glasgow, against Adam Stewart in Windolaw and John Pollok, his servant, for spulzeing out of the porter's lodge of the castle, on 20 February, 1516, "ane lettroun and in it tua obligaciones tua ellis of small quhyte clayth and xxvij lib. of money," which Hucheson had received for wine and flour belonging to the Lord Governor. The Lords of Council ordained Stewart and Pollok to restore what they took to Hucheson. 6 November 1516.
Acta Dom. Concilii, vol. xxviii., f. 49.
308 [45c]. JOHN MUIR of CALDWELL compeared and constituted Mr. John Lethame, Mr. Thomas Hamilton, and Mr. Robert Galbraith, his procurators in the above action of spulzie. 25 February 1517.
Acta Dom. Concilii, vol. xxx., f. 200.
309. [45d]. PROTEST by Mr. JOHN LETHAME, procurator for the laird of Caldwell, that if a decreet was obtained against him for the goods spulzied above, that he might have action against the remanent persons at the spulzie. 1 March 1517.
Acta Dom. Concilii, vol. xxx., f. 210.
310 [46a]. FOUNDATION by ROLLAND BLACADYR, subdean of Glasgow, of a chapel in the cathedral, and an hospital near the Stabyllgreyn and providing inter alia for the yearly payment of fourteen pence to the minor sacristan for ringing the bells on the death of the founder and his parents, and of fourpence to the ringer of St. Kentigern's bell through the town; and ordaining his chaplain every year to elect sixty poor people having hearth, house, and household in the city of Glasgow, to be present in the church at his obituary celebrations, and to pray for the souls of his parents, himself, and all the faithful dead, for which services each was to be paid eightpence. Post 1524.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 537, No. 495.
Notarial copy in Archives of the Andersonian University.
311 [47a]. BOND of MANRENT by Robert Stewart of Minto, provost of the city of Glasgow, binding himself to "becumin man and servitur" to James, Earl of Arran. The bond is conceived in the usual terms of such deeds, and is to endure so long as the granter remains provost of Glasgow. Glasgow, 18 October 1527.
Original in the Archives of the Duke of Hamilton.
Historical Manuscripts Commission. Eleventh Report, Appendix, part vi. (The Manuscripts of the Duke of Hamilton), p. 34.
312 [47b]. ACTION at the instance of the king's advocate against James Lam for having passed to the court of Rome in November 1524 (the see of Glasgow being then vacant), and the bulls thereof at that time not having been brought home nor presented to the king, nor Gavyne, now archbishop of Glasgow, admitted to the temporality thereof; and there as a barratour, without advice or licence of his majesty, having purchased the chancelary of Glasgow, alleging the same to be vacant by the resignation of Sir David Renzeane. The office of chancelary had previously been disposed of by the king (to whom it belonged by right and privilege of his crown), and by his cousin John, duke of Albany, his tutor, in his name, to Mr. John Leschman, and Lam as a barratour, had raised bulls and process upon the gift so obtained by him, and molested Leschman. The Lords of Council decreed that Lam had broken the act of parliament in purchasing the chancelary of Glasgow at the court of Rome without advice or licence, and therefore had incurred prescription, rebellion, and banishment, and was never to bruik the benefit, heritage, honour, nor dignity, within the realm in time to come, as an example to others. 5 November 1527.
Acta Dominorum Concilii, vol. xxxviii., f. 3.
313 [47c]. SEAL of CAUSE by the provost, bailies, council, and community of Glasgow, with consent of the archbishop, whereby, on the supplication of the Webster craft, they ratified and approved the following articles:—(1) Apprentices to serve five years. (2) Each apprentice to pay 5s. for upholding divine service at their altar; no person to set up booth till found worthy by the masters of the craft and made freeman of the town. (3) At upset of booth, each craftsman to pay two merks to the altar. (4) No master to harbour another man's apprentice or servant under penalty of a contribution to the altar at the discretion of the masters. (5) Each man or woman having a booth to pay a penny weekly to the altar. (6) No craftsman to take work unless he has good work-looms, or to take another man's work after it is warped without his leave, under penalty of a pound of wax to the altar. (7) Each servant to pay one halfpenny weekly to the altar. (9) The craftsmen to choose a deacon yearly. (10) Anyone disobeying the deacon, to pay a pound of wax to the altar and 8s. to the magistrates; and (11) The principal masters of the craft to have power, along with an officer of the town, to poind for the duties foresaid. Glasgow, 4 June 1528.
Narrated in Act of Parliament in favour of the Weavers, 1681, c. 140. Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland, vol. viii., p. 396.
314 [50a]. LETTER by KING JAMES V. to the provost, bailies, aldermen, and communities of Glasgow and Dumbarton, requiring them to deliver to William Stirling of Glorat, deputy captain of the castle of Dumbarton, three or four tuns of wines out of every ship that came to their waters with wines, for provisioning the king and the castle, he paying therefor the same price as was paid for the remanent part thereof. Stirling, 3 April 1533.
Original in the Archives at Keir.
The Stirlings of Keir, by Sir William Fraser, p. 351.
315 [50b]. LETTER by MATHEW, fourth earl of Lennox, to his brother, Sir John Stewart, captain of the Scotch Guard, afterwards lord Aubigny, wherein he, inter alia, requested Sir John to obtain letters from the king of France and others to the Pope, to the French ambassador at Rome, and to the College of Cardinals, for expediting some business which the archbishop of Glasgow had to transact at Rome with reference to the privileges and freedom of the kirk of Glasgow; and reminding him that the house of Lennox were servants to St. Mungo and bound to defend the interests of that kirk. Dated at Edinburgh, 15 August [circa 1535].
Historical MSS. Commission. Appendix to Third Report, p. 395, No. 189.
316 [50b]. SEAL of CAUSE by Robert Stewart of Minto, provost, and George Burall, and Patrick Leon, bailies of the burgh and city of Glasgow, whereby, on the application of the headsmen and masters of the Hammermen Craft, including blacksmiths, goldsmiths, lorimers, sadlers, buckle-makers, armourers, and others within the burgh, they, with the consent of the Archbishop, ordained as follows:—(1) No person of the craft to set up booth within the burgh till he was made a freeman, and examined by three of the best masters of the craft and found qualified. (2) Each person so admitted to pay 20s. of upset to the upholding of divine service at St. Eloy's altar, and 10s. to the same for each apprentice taken by him. (3) No craftsman to employ another man's apprentice or servant till his apprenticeship was completed. (4) No craftsman to allow any one but his apprentice or feed servant to work within his booth so that he might be answerable for their work and fines. (5) No craftsman to allow another man's apprentice or servant to work with him until it was clearly understood that he was free of all men's service. (6) Each Saturday afternoon two or three masters, chosen for the purpose to examine the sufficiency in material and workmanship of the craftsmen's work, and to forbid faulty work under penalty of forfeiture. (7) The craftsmen to convene when ordered, and to inform the provost and bailies of any infringement of these statutes. (8) Infringers of these statutes to pay for each offence a pound of wax to the altar. (9) Should the masters and headsmen of the craft fail to enforce these statutes they to be corrected and punished by the provost and bailies. Sealed with the seal of Gavin, archbishop of Glasgow, the common seal of the chapter of his kirk, and the common seal of the city. Glasgow, 11 October 1536.
Copy in Minute Book of the Incorporation of Hammermen.
317 [51a]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of Thomas Flemyng, vicar pensioner of Glasgow, and his successors, in a tenement and orchard in the Stabyll Greyne extending from the public road at the head of the town leading to the "twa crocis," between the archbishop's palace on the south, the vicars' yards on the east and north, and the street on the west; which tenement and yard were resigned by Sir Andrew Crystesoun, chaplain, with consent of Sir Mark Jamesoun,—the latter of whom directed certain payments to be made out of the rents to the master of the Singing School of the Metropolitan Kirk of Glasgow, for singing nightly a gloriosa of three parts of prechat singing, as it was made and set by Thomas Painter, and to certain priests, St. Mungo's bell and twenty four poor householders for masses, lights, and prayers for the souls of Thomas Painter, Sir Alexander Painter, and others. Glasgow, 5 November 1539.
Original in the Archives of the City.
See No. 340, p. 22.
16 December 1542–29 July 1567.
318 [52a] ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, ordaining the provost and bailies of Glasgow to put order and prices on all manner of stuff within the town, such as flesh, bread, and ale, to be sold to the French army upon the prices therein specified. Glasgow, 7 June 1545.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 3.
319 [52b] LETTERS of BAILIARY by Gavin, Archbishop of Glasgow, with consent of the chapter, constituting and appointing James, Earl of Arran, Protector and Governor of Scotland, and his heirs, to act as bailies and justices of all lands of the barony and regality of Glasgow, for the term of nineteen years, with full power to hold courts, &c.; but forbidding the earl to appoint or remove officers without consent of the archbishop or his successors. Glasgow, 1545.
Original in the Archives of the Duke of Hamilton.
Historical Manuscripts Commission. Eleventh Report, Appendix, part, vi. (The Manuscripts of the Duke of Hamilton), p. 221.
320 [52c]. SEAL of CAUSE by the provost, bailies, council and community of the burgh and city of Glasgow, with consent of the Archbishop, whereby on the supplication of the kirkmasters and other masters of the Tailor Craft, they ratified and approved the following articles:—(1) Each apprentice to serve four years. (2) Each apprentice to pay half a merk at his entry for the upkeep of divine service at their altar of St. Anne. (3) Any man setting up booth to pay for his upset 20 s. (4) No master to reset or harbour any other master's apprentice or servant. (5) Each master holding booth to pay a penny weekly to the reparation and adornment of their altar. (6) No craftsman to spoil anyman's cloth that he takes to make, under the penalty of making the same good to the owner. (7) The principal masters of the craft to have power, along with an officer of the town, to poind for the duties foresaid. (8) Any person disobeying the deacon to pay a fine of 8s. to the provost and bailies. (9) The Deacon and masters to search for unfreemen exercising the craft, and if any such are found who will not answer to the deacon, masters and altar of the craft, they to have power, along with an officer of the town, to compel them either to so answer or expel them from working in the town; and (10) The craft to choose a deacon yearly. Glasgow, 3 February 1546.
Original in the Archives of the Incorporation of Tailors.
Excerpts from the Records of the Incorporation of Tailors of Glasgow, 1872.
321 [52d]. TACK by GAVIN, ARCHBISHOP of GLASGOW, and commendator of the Abbey of Inchhaffray, with the consent of the dean and chapter of the Metropolitan Kirk of Glasgow, to Henry Crawfurd, parish clerk of Cadder, whereby the Archbishop set to Crawfurd, for the space of nineteen years from and after Whitsunday, 1546, the customs of his city and burgh of Glasgow, with mettage and weighage and all other commodities pertaining thereto, of which customs Crawfurd then was, and had for many years previously been, in possession: Paying therefor yearly the sum of £24 Scots at Whitsunday and Martinmas as under, viz., £20 Scots to the regents of the University and pedagogue of the city, and £4 to the chaplains of the altars "Nominis Jesu" and of "our Lady of Pietie," founded by Robert, archbishop of Glasgow, for their service done to the archbishop, and attendance upon him in the Metropolitan Kirk. Glasgow, 16 April 1547.
Original in the Archives of the City.
322 [53a]. MANDATE by Pope Julius III. directed to the people of the city and diocese of Glasgow enjoining them to render due honour and obedience to their archbishop (James Betoun). Rome, 4 September 1551.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 572, No. 518.
323 [53b]. SEAL of CAUSE by Andrew Hamilton of Ceuchtnock, provost, Mr. John Muire, and Mr. John Hall, bailies of the burgh and city of Glasgow, whereby on the supplication of the headsmen and masters of the Masons, . . . . Coopers, Slaters, Sawyers, and Quarriers dwelling within the burgh, they ratified and approved articles corresponding to those contained in the Seal of Cause granted to the Hammermen in 1536 [No. 316] with the following additions:—(2 and 3) Each freeman of the craft to pay for his upset 20s. and for each apprentice 10s to the altar of St. Thomas. (7) A craftsman to have only one apprentice at a time, and not to licence him before expiry of his term, and there to be no interchange or couping of apprentices. (9) Each master to pay a penny weekly to the altar. (12) The deacon and kirkmasters to have power to poind at their own hand and by their own officers for the duties and fines thereby imposed. (13) That any person disobeying his deacon in the execution of his office to pay a pound of wax to the altar, and thereafter be punished by the provost and bailies with all rigour, pay a new upset, recounsel his oath and faith, and do the penance enjoined; and (14) Apprentices to serve for seven years. Glasgow, 14 October 1551.
Original in the Archives of the Incorporation of Masons.
Sketch of the Incorporation of Masons, &c., by James Cruikshank, Glasgow, 1879, p. 3.
324 [54a]. A RENTAL by JAMES, ARCHBISHOP of GLASGOW, to Archibald Lyon, whereby the archbishop received Lyon as rentaller in his waulk mill in Newtoun upon the Water of Kelvin, with power to change the waulk mill into a wheat mill, Lyon being bound to grind all the wheat which the bishop consumed in his house, and to pay four merks yearly. Glasgow, 10 August 1554.
Original in the Archives of the City.
Inventure of Wrytes and Evidents of and concerning the Burgh of Glasgow (1696), p. 38, B. C., b. 12. No. 1.
325 [57a]. ACT by the Town Council in favour of the Baxters, whereby they were authorised to have three market days weekly, for bringing their bread to the Cross; and regulations were made for the sale of bread by strangers. Glasgow, 6 October 1556.
Extract, under the hand of W. Hegait, in the possession of the Incorporation of Bakers.
"The Incorporation of Bakers of Glasgow," by James Ness.
326 [58a]. CHARTER by QUEEN MARY confirming the privileges and liberties conferred on the Craftsmen of the burghs and cities of the kingdom by former kings; granting dispensation in regard to an act of Parliament of the previous year which was opposed to those privileges and liberties; and restoring power to elect deacons, to make statutes relating to their own crafts, and to exercise merchandise of all sorts. Stirling, 16 April 1556.
MS. Register of the Great Seal, book 33, No. 192.
Great Seal Register, 1564–80, p. 235, No. 1054.
Records of the Convention of Royal Burghs, vol. ii., p. 469.
327 [61a]. SEAL of CAUSE by the provost, bailies, council and community of the burgh of Glasgow, whereby, on the supplication of the craftsmen of the Cordiners and Barkers, and with the consent of James, archbishop of Glasgow, they ratified and approved the following articles:—(1) The craftsmen to have power annually to choose a deacon and kirkmasters. (2) Every man of the craft before setting up booth in the town to be made a freeman, and pay to the altar of St. Ninian in the Metropolitan Church, £3 6s. 8d. for his upset. (3) Freemen's sons in upsetting of their booths of new to pay 6s. 8d. (4) Every apprentice at his entry to pay 20s. (5) Every master to pay weekly one penny, and every servant (apprentices excepted) one halfpenny, and each time any man of the craft, free or unfree, presented work or barked leather in the market, he to pay one penny. (6) Those absent from the four quarter accounts, being duly warned, to pay 4s. (7) No freeman to take an apprentice for a shorter time than seven years nor more than one during that period. (8) No man, freeman or other, by himself or servants, to move another man's stand in the market after it was laid or set according to custom. (9) No man, freeman or other, to present any work to the market before 9 o'clock of the day; nor an unfreeman to stand between a freeman and the Cross under penalty of a pound of wax; nor freeman to receive upon his stand an unfreeman's work. (10) The deacon and kirkmasters to examine both made work and barked leather, and to report to the oversmen of the town such as was found insufficient which was to be forfeited. (11) No master to take another man's servant or apprentice without leave of the master with whom he had last served. (12) Any craftsman disobeying the deacon or officer, to pay a new upset and 20s. to the bailies for every offence. (13) The deacon to have power to poind for the above duties, and, failing payment, to close the defaulter's booth and window; and (14) The deacon, with the advice of the best and worthiest craftsmen, to have power to make statutes for the craft. Glasgow, 27 February 1558-59.
Original in the Archives of the Incorporation of Cordiners.
History of the Incorporation, of Cordiners in Glasgow by W. Campbell, 1883, p. 248.
328 [61b]. CHARTER granted by Andrew Leche, prior, and John Law, superior of the Friars Preachers and convent of the same, in Glasgow, whereby, on a narrative of the dispersion of the order, and the aid rendered to the friars in their extreme necessity by John Graham, son of James Graham, burgess of Glasgow, without which aid they could not have sustained life, they granted in feu to the said John Graham and Isobel Livingstoun, his wife, the great tenement occupied by the said John, with the gardens belonging thereto (the cemetery thereof excepted), to be held by them and their heirs of the said friars in conjunct infeftment, for payment annually of four merks, subject to the provision that if the friars were reponed and their order restored, they should be reponed in the gardens, but that the tenement should be retained by the said John for payment of three merks annually. 13 November 1560.
Great Seal Register, 1546–1580, p. 449, No. 1790.
329 [61b] CHARTER by MARY QUEEN of SCOTS, under the great seal, to James Campbell, brother's son to Colin Campbell, of Ardkinglass, of the assyse herring of the west seas from the Pentland Firth to the Mull of Galloway, and where the sea flows within the River Clyde, for payment of six lasts and two barrels of sufficient herring at the burgh of Glasgow, between Martinmas and Candlemas yearly. 28 February 1561.
Original in the Archives of the Duke of Argyll.
Historical Manuscripts Commission. Fourth Report. Appendix, p. 481.
330 [62a] ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, ordaining all annuals, mails, and duties within free burghs or other towns of the realm, as well belonging to chaplainries and prebendaries as to friars, together with the rents of the friars' lands, wherever they were, to be intromitted with by such as the Queen should depute thereto, for employing thereof by her Majesty to hospitals, schools, and other such godly uses as might seem best to the Queen with advice of her Council. And knowing that nothing is more commodious for the said hospitality than the places of friars, as then standing undemolished, as also to the entertaining of schools, colleges, and other uses foresaid, the council further ordained the provost and bailies of Glasgow, and other burghs of the realm, where the same were not demolished, to entertain and uphold, upon the common good, the friars' places standing in these towns, and to use the same for the commonweal and service thereof, until her Majesty took final order in such things, notwithstanding any other gift, title, or interest given by the Crown previously to any persons of the said places, with their yards, orchards, and pertinents. Edinburgh, 15 February 1561–2.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 201.
331 [63a] ACT by the BAILIES of GLASGOW, ordaining certain burgesses of the town to pay to the principal regent of the Pedagogy of Glasgow 28 bolls of malt for the yearly rent of 13 acres and 3 roods of land belonging in time past to the Friars Preachers of Glasgow, and conveyed to the College or Pedagogy by the grant of Queen Mary [No. 68]. Glasgow, 31 August 1563.
Munimenta Alme Universitatis Glasguensis, vol. i., p. 69, No. 41.
332 [63b]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL setting forth, inter alia, the understanding of the Queen that the Duke of Chestellarault had then in tack the bailliary and justiciary of Glasgow, which of old was a kindly possession of the Earl of Lennox's house, and Her Majesty's desire that no root of future displeasure or grudge between the duke and the earl might exist, therefore she ordained the duke to renounce, resign, and give over, for himself and his heirs, the same and all other right, title of right, entry or possession which he had or might pretend thereto, and to demit the same freely and simpliciter to the effect that the archbishop of Glasgow might dispone thereupon, notwithstanding any title made to the duke or any of his sons. And both parties, as good and obedient subjects, promised in presence of the privy council to obey and faithfully accomplish the Queen's command. Edinburgh, 28 October 1564.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 290.
333 [63c]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL anent the complaint of James Law, one of the bailies of Glasgow, against William Hegait, common clerk thereof, "for the "speaking of diverse despitfull and injurious wordis to the said James, manifestly "contempnand and vilipendand him being bailie and magistrate." Both the parties having appeared before the privy council, and the common clerk having denied the bailie's allegation, the bailie was allowed a proof on the 10th of January following. But the matter appears to have proceeded no further. Edinburgh, 13 December 1564.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 302.
334 [63d]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL referring to the rebellion of James, Earl of Moray, and other rebels, who had withdrawn themselves into the parts and countries of Argyle and the Highlands adjacent thereto, intending there to make their resort and residence; and ordaining the provosts and bailies of Glasgow, Dumbarton, and Irvine, and others, that none of them, take upon hand to furnish or supply the rebels, or countries wherein they resort, with any kind of victuals; nor to suffer any kind of victuals or armour to be had and carried toward the same, under pain of being reputed and holden partakers with the rebels in their rebellion. Edinburgh, 14 August 1565.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 353.
335 [63e]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, appointing the inhabitants of the sheriffdoms of Dumbarton and Renfrew to meet the King and Queen at Glasgow, upon Tuesday, 29 August 1565, and to attend upon them for fifteen days, for repressing disorders in the country. Edinburgh, 22 August 1565.
Printed Register of Privy Council, vol. i., p. 355.
336 [63f]. BAND by the LORDS and BARONS of the WEST COUNTRY, subscribed in presence of the King and Queen at Glasgow, on 5 September 1565.
Printed Register of Privy Council, vol. i., p. 363.
337 [63g]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL setting apart inter alia the fruits of the Bishopric of Glasgow for the furnishing and sustentation of the Queen's house, &c. Edinburgh, 22 December 1565.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 412.
338 [63h]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL on the complaint of the provost, bailies, council, and community of Glasgow, charging Mr. Alexander Lawder, parson of Glasgow, to furnish bread and wine for the communion conform to use and wont. Edinburgh, 5 October [November?] 1566.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 492.
339 [63i]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL finding Mr. James Hamilton, reader in the kirk of Glasgow, entitled out of the commons of the New Kirk of Glasgow to receive £40 Scots a year from and after 1561 when he was appointed to the readership. Edinburgh, 1 March 1566-7.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 498.
340 [64a]. DEED of FOUNDATION by SIR MARK JAMESOUN, vicar of Kilspindie, as executor of John Painter, master of the singing school of the metropolitan church of Glasgow, providing for the yearly payment of five pounds from the houses and orchard in the Stabill Grene situated in the triangle extending from the public road at the head of the city to the "tway crocis" [described in No. 317], to be applied as follows, viz., three pounds to the fore almshouse, called St. Nicholas Hospital, twenty shillings to the poor men of the back almshouse of that hospital, and twenty shillings to the leper hospital at the south end of Glasgow Bridge. To the deed is appended a ratification, dated 4th September 1581, by Mr. Robert Rollok, then owner of the property; and there is also an indorsation, bearing that the deed was recorded in the books of the Presbytery of Glasgow, on 31 March 1590, "to remane ad perpetuam rei memoriam, and to be patent to the puir." In the indorsation the division of revenue is thus expressed:— "£3 yeirlie to the foir almoushous callit St. Nicolas Hospitall; 20s. to the foure puir men of the bak almoushous pertening to the town of Glasgow; and 20s. to the puir lipper folkis of the hospitall at the southe end of the brig of Glasgw." Glasgow, 26 March 1567.
Original in the Archives of the Corporation. Delivered by Sir Mark Jamesoun to the Magistrates and Council, 18 July 1590. See Council Records, vol. i., p. 155.
By a charter dated 9th September, 1556, Thomas Fleming, vicar pensioner, with consent of James, archbishop of Glasgow, and of Sir Mark Jamesone, vicar of the choir, liferenter of the property mentioned in No. 340, granted that property in feu farm to David Rollok of Kyncladie, and Marion Levingstone, his spouse, and to Robert Rollok, their son, and his heirs; for payment of (1) £5 to be distributed according to Sir Mark Jameson's foundation; (2) 42s. 10d. to the vicars of the choir, for prayers for the soul of John Painter; (3) 8s. to first rector; (4) 5s. to the regents or masters of the pedagogy; and (5) 4s. 2d. to the poor of the hospital of St. Nicholas; extending in whole to £8. Notarial Copy, subscribed by David Rollok, and his seal appended, in the Archives of the City.
341 [64b]. CHARTER by QUEEN MARY, under the Great Seal, confirming the charter by Andrew Leche, dated 27 April, 1567 [No. 328].
Great Seal Register, 1546-80, p. 449, No. 1790.
342 [64c]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL reciting the setting apart by the Crown of a portion of the thirds of benefices for the support of the ministry, and the disposition to the burghs of the kirk-livings within the same, for the relief of the taxation and contribution to be uplifted in every burgh, and ordaining the provost and bailies of Glasgow to pay to the minister resident within the same £80 Scots of their own proper goods yearly, in time to come, beginning the first term's payment at Whitsunday, 1567. And for their relief they were empowered to tax all the inhabitants of the city according to their ability, and to poind and appraise their readiest goods and gear in case of nonpayment; and the rest of the minister's stipend, the readers, and other affairs of the kirk, were appointed to be paid out of the readiest of the annuals of the burgh, disponed by her Majesty to that use. Edinburgh, 7 May 1567.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 508.
29 July 1567–27 March 1625.
343 [64d]. ACT of the PARLIAMENT of KING JAMES VI., ordaining that all patrons having provostries or prebendaries of colleges, altarages, or chaplainries at their gift, may, in all time coming, present the same to a bursar whom they please to name, to study virtue and letters within a college of any of the Universities of the realm, there to remain for such space as the patron pleases, and as may be agreed upon by the patron with the principal and ministers of the college of the University; and after the patron removes that bursar furth of the college, to present another; and so forth from one to another, to the effect foresaid, at the patron's pleasure, notwithstanding any foundation or confirmation passed by any authority in any time bygone. (1567, c. 13). Edinburgh, 20 December 1567.
Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland, vol. iii., p. 25.
Ratified by the Acts 1592, c. 89, Acts of Parliaments of Scotland, vol. iii., p. 586; 1641, c. 108, Acts of Parliament of Scotland, vol. v. p. 415; 1661, c. 331, Acts of Parliaments of Scotland, vol. vii., p. 303.
344 [65b]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, reciting the escape of Queen Mary from the place of Lochleven, and her repair to the place of Hamilton, where she then remained, and where the King's lieges and subjects repaired towards her, for what purpose was uncertain, and ordaining all earls, lords, barons, freeholders, gentlemen, substantious yeomen, men, and others, his Majesty's lieges whomsoever, as well to burgh as to land, regality as royalty, to come "weill bodin in feir of weir" to the Lord Regent at Glasgow, for preservation of the King's person and authority, and establishing of justice and quietness within the realm. Glasgow, 3 May 1568.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 622.
345 [66a]. SEAL of CAUSE by Sir John Stewart of Minto, knight, provost; Mr. Adam Wallace and Richard Ros, bailies and senators, and council of the burgh, whereby, on the supplication of the deacon, headsmen, and masters of the Coopers dwelling within the burgh and city of Glasgow, they ratified and approved articles, numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8,10 and 11, of which correspond to the articles (excepting No. 8 which has no equivalent) of the Seal of Cause granted to the Hammermen in 1536 [No. 316]; and numbers 9, 12, 13 and 14 of which correspond to articles 9, 12, 13 and 14 of the Seal of Cause granted to the Masons in 1551 [No. 323]. The payments imposed by these articles are to be applied to the common charges of the craft and the relief of its decayed brethren, and not to the upkeep of the altar as is the case in the earlier documents. An increased upset of six pounds on the entry of each unfreeman's son, and four pounds on the entry of each freeman's son, had to come in place of the dinner and banquet which was formerly in use to be made. Glasgow, 27 April 1569.
Original in the Archives of the Incorporation of Coopers.
Acts and Charters of the Incorporation of Coopers of Glasgow, 1885, p. 5.
346 [66b]. SEAL of CAUSE by the provost, bailies, council and community of the burgh and city of Glasgow, whereby on the supplication of the Cordiners and Barkers of the city, they ratified and approved articles embracing all the provisions contained in their former Seal of Cause of 1558 [No. 327], but amended to the effect that the payments for entry money of freemen and apprentices (which are increased) and fines should be applied to the common charges of the craft and the relief of decayed brethren, instead of to the altar; and with the following additions:—Each "owtyntounes child," before admission to serve under a master, to pay 20s. to the box. Every freeman who employed a servant who had left his master and served in another craft, to pay a new upset to the box; and the last entered freeman of the craft to be its officer until another entered. Glasgow, 27 June 1569.
Original in the Archives of the Incorporation of Cordiners.
History of the Incorporation of Cordiners, by W. Campbell, p. 251.
347 [66c]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, inter alia, appointing the provosts, bailies, councillors, and communities of the burghs and towns of Glasgow, Ayr, and Irvine to convene at Dumbarton on August, 1569, and there stent and contribute for furnishing a ship or pynnage with forty men, hagbutters, and convenient munition and provision to lie in the firth of Clyde, opposite the Castle of Dumbarton, which was being beseiged by land, that all provision by sea might be obstructed therefrom; and that the ship accoutered as effeirs should remain for three months after 8 August under pain of rebellion. Perth, 1 August 1569.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 12.
348 [66d]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL prohibiting Glasgow, Renfrew, Dumbarton, Irvine, Ayr, and other places, from passing with their boats to the fishing or otherwise down the water of Clyde, or from coming up the same in any sort or for any purpose, or from resorting towards the Castle of Dumbarton with their boats. Stirling, 29 August 1569.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 21.
349 [66e]. DECREET before the bailie of the regality at the instance of Archibald Lyon, rentaller of the mill in Newtoun on Kelvin, against the Baxters of Glasgow, finding them in the wrong for the stopping of the free passage of the water from Lyon's mill by the building up of the dam to their mill. Glasgow, 16 November 1569.
Original in the Archives of the City.
Inventure of Wrytes and Evidents of and concerning the Burgh of Glasgow, p. 39, B.C., b. 12, No. 2.
350 [66f]. ACTS of the PRIVY COUNCIL requiring, inter alia, the provost and bailies of Glasgow, Ayr, and Irvine, to pay to Alexander, Earl of Glencairn, two taxations of nine shillings and three shillings respectively of every pound land of old extent for sustaining of hagbutters to assist in the siege of the Castle of Dumbarton. Stirling, 31 August, and Edinburgh, 23 November 1569.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. ii., pp. 22, 65, 66.
351 [68a]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of John Nicol, burgess of Glasgow, and Marion Muirhead, his spouse, on the resignation of Bartholomew Symsone, preceptor and chaplain of St. Nicholas Hospital, in two ruinous tenements lying contiguous, with yard at the back, bounded on the south by the Drigait, on the north by the Malyndinor Burn, and on the west by lands belonging to the new hospital outwith the North Port, founded by Rolland Blacader, conform to a feu charter granted by Symsone, for payment to the preceptor and his successors of £3 Scots yearly. Glasgow, 25 October 1570.
Original Instrument, by Thomas Knox, notary, in the Archives of the City.
352 [69a]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL ordaining Mr. Archibald Douglas, one of the Senators of the College of Justice, intromitter with the fruits of the parsonage of Glasgow, to pay to Mr. David Wemys, minister at Glasgow, so long as he remained minister, or to his successors in that charge, a yearly stipend of £200 Scots, beginning the first term's payment at Whitsunday 1572, and that in payment and satisfaction of the thirds of the said parsonage. Leith, 23 January 1571-2.
Printed Register of Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 114.
353 [69b]. ACTS of the PRIVY COUNCIL  dated 6 June 1572, appointing a muster at Glasgow on 26 June for resisting the traitors about the city and in the country of the Lennox,  dated 20 June 1572, giving commission to James, Earl of Morton, as the King's lieutenant, to pursue and punish the traitors, and  dated 27 June 1572, ordaining proclamation to be made to the King's lieges convened to the present army that they keep good and honest society each with the other for the furtherance of the King's service; that those convened, as well men of war as others, do not foray or take the goods of others, though they be rebels; also commanding the inhabitants of the city of Glasgow to follow the army "with breid, aill, and all uther kynde of viveris for men and horse," which shall be bought and paid for with ready money.
Printed Register of Privy Council, vol. ii., pp. 140, 146, 150.
354 [71a]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, setting forth that Mr. James Boyd, nominated, elected, and consecrated archbishop of Glasgow, had compeared before the Regent and privy council, and made oath of allegiance, &c., to the effect therein set forth; and acknowledgment that he held the archbishopric and possessions of the same, under God only, of his Majesty and the Crown Royal of the realm; and did homage to the Regent in his Majesty's name, and to the King's heirs and lawful successors. Holyrood, 9 November 1573.
Privy Council Register, vol. ii., p. 301.
355 [71b]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, setting forth that in May 1568 the keeping of the castle of Glasgow was committed by the Regent Murray to Sir John Stewart of Mynto, and had assigned to him as keeper five chalders of malt, five chalders of meal, two chalders of horse corn, and 200 merks money of the first and readiest fruits of the bishopric of Glasgow, the third thereof being always first paid to the ministers and otherwise as was appointed, beginning the payment of the victuals and money of the readiest rests of the bishopric then owing of the time bygone, or of the Whitsunday term then likewise bypast, and so yearly thereafter at the terms used and wont, till Stewart was lawfully discharged of the keeping of the castle; upon which commitment letters of poinding were, on 9 June 1568, directed for the more sure payment of the money and victuals, so that the castle might not be in danger and unprovided, though Beaton, sometime archbishop, was not at the time denounced rebel. The act further sets forth that the see being lawfully provided of an archbishop, Stewart had been charged to deliver over the castle to him, which he was ready to do on being discharged of his keepership by the privy council. The Regent, with advice of the council, accordingly declared that Stewart had honourably discharged his duty, and on his delivering over the castle to the archbishop, was declared to be discharged of the castle and of the victual and money uptaken by him and his servants, as well before as after archbishop Beaton's denunciation as a rebel. Holyrood, 9 November 1573.
Privy Council Register, vol. ii., pp. 301, 302.
356 [71c]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL finding that Mr. David Wemys, minister of Glasgow, is not entitled to demand ten chalders of victual furth of the third of the parsonage of Glasgow, but only to a stipend of £200 Scots. Edinburgh, 23 December 1573.
Printed Register of Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 320.
357 [71d]. CHARTER by JAMES, ARCHBISHOP of GLASGOW, whereby, with the consent of the dean and canons of Glasgow, he granted to Robert, Lord Boyd, inter alia, the hereditary office of bailie and justiciar of the barony and regality of Glasgow, as well within as without the burgh or city of Glasgow, and the amerciaments and escheats of courts, to be applied to his own use: Rendering to the said archbishop the service due in respect of that office. 2 January 1573-4.
Registrum Magni Sigilli, lib. xxxiv., No. 246.
Printed Register of the Great Seal of Scotland, 1546-1580, p. 647, No. 2407.
358 [71e]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, setting forth that, inter alia, James Beaton, sometime archbishop of Glasgow, and divers other born subjects of the realm— some of whom were declared traitors and others seditious—had fled beyond sea, and remained there stirring up, by their actions, letters, and books, seditious rebellion against the King and the government. Therefore the Regent, with advice of the privy council, ordained letters to be issued prohibiting the lieges from supplying these persons with money, finance, counsel, or other aid whatever, or sending or carrying letters or messages to or from them, or transporting them or their known servants and dependants to Scotland, under pain of deid and confiscation of the ships and goods of the contravenors. Haddington, 12 February 1573-4.
Privy Council Register, vol. ii., p. 334.
359 [71f]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL in which it is declared that the castle and steeple of Glasgow which had been in the keeping of Sir John Stewart of Mynto, knight, was "ane of the principall keyis of the cuntre." Holyrood, 20 March 1573–4.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 347.
360 [71g]. LETTER by JAMES, ARCHBISHOP of GLASGOW, whereby, "tending to the Kingis Majesteis educatioun in virtew and lettres, and allowing the lang and faithfull service of Maister Petir Young, his Hienes pedagoge, done in the samin; quha notwithstanding thairof remanis unprovidit of convenient intertenement,—thairfoir," he, with consent of the dean, canons, and chapter of the cathedral, gave to Young a yearly pension of £200 Scots during his life, at least till he was provided by the King or the Regent "of the lyk or bettir pensioun or provisioun" in some other place, the said pension to be yearly uplifted from the revenues of the archbishopric. And for the more sure payment thereof he assigned the "silver males" of the kirk and lands therein specified, including Archibald Lyons mill 53s. 4d., and the Walkmylne 40s. Scots. Edinburgh, 22 March 1573–4.
Great Seal Register, 1546-1580, p. 650, No. 2416.
This letter was confirmed by King James VI. on 8 May 1575. Ibid.
361 [71h]. CHARTER by KING JAMES VI., confirming to Robert Lord Boyd of Kilmarnock the charter dated 2 January 1573–4 [No. 357]. Holyrood, 28 March 1575.
Great Seal Register, 1546–1580, p. 647.
362 [71i] The RENTAL of the OLD ENDOWMENTS of the COLLEGE of GLASGOW, containing inter alia "in the first of the troyne of Glasgow yeirlye," £20. 1575.
Munimenta Alme Universitatis Glasguensis, vol. i., p. 91, No. 52.
363 [71j]. DECREE of the LORDS of COUNCIL in favour of the College against the tenants and occupiers of the lands, rents, &c., granted to the College by the ratification, No. 71, among whom are included the council and community of the burgh of Glasgow. Edinburgh, 3 June 1575.
Munimenta Alme Universitatis Glasguensis, vol. i., p. 94, No. 53.
364 [72a]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL on complaint by Barthilmo Symsoun, master almoner to twelve poor aged decrepit persons dwelling in the alms house called the Hospital of St. Nicholas, situated within the diocese of Glasgow, decerning Robert Douglas of Lintclowden to make payment to Symsoun of £20 Scots, furth of the common kirk of Glencarne disponed by Queen Mary to Douglas, payable for each of the years 1567 to 1574 both inclusive. Holyrood House, 10 February 1575–6.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 489.