Registers, vol. VIII (1710-1800)
1710, June 30.—Ordered that an address be presented to the Queen
to congratulate her upon the success of her arms, and to stand by her
and the Established Church, and the Protestant succession as established
by Act of Parliament. p. 660.
At the end of this volume, reversed, are the original signatures, on
fifteen leaves, to the oaths of allegiance and supremacy, and renouncing
the Solemn League and Covenant, of all the persons admitted to office
in the corporation, from March 25, 1663, to Sept. 14, 1709.
Vol. VIII.—A folio volume of 908 pages, extending from June 17,
1710, to 14 Sept. 1800.
1710[–11], March 8.—Every justice, alderman, and common councilman to attend the mayor, in their gowns, to church, on all Sundays, etc.,
under penalty of a fine of 12d., to be levied by distress. p. 6. Again
ordered on 14 Sept. 1724. p. 99.
—, Jan. 31 and March 13.—Rev. Mr. Garmston thanked for his
sermon on 30 Jan. and 10l. voted for defraying his charge of printing it.
1714, Oct. 26.—Shadrach Garmston elected vicar of Hanslope, and
10l. voted to Mrs. Ward, the widow of the late vicar, in consideration
of her necessitous condition. p. 31.
1715, Apr. 22.—20l. given to Spalding for relief of the poor sufferers
there. p. 32.
1716, May 24.—An address to be sent to congratulate the King upon
his success in suppressing the late unnatural rebellion. p. 39.
1718, Dec. 9.—Mr. Booth, usher of the Grammar School, desired to
print his sermon preached at St. Mary's church upon account of the
Anabaptists, and 10l. to be paid him for defraying the charge. p. 51.
1718[–9], Feb. 9.—Five guineas to be given to Mr. Booth for printing
his book, being a Replication to the Anabaptists' answer to his sermon. (fn. 1)
1719, May 9.—Application to be made for a brief for rebuilding the
church of St. Peter-at-Arches. p. 61.
—, May 21.—1000l. to be taken up at interest by the city and
employed towards the rebuilding of the church of St. Peter-at-Arches,
ibid. 100l. per an. to be paid for ten years from Mich. 1719. p. 62.
A small deficiency made up to the trustees, Sept. 25, 1736. p. 216.
—, July 10.—The Mayor excused from giving a public dinner at
the next sessions; but in return to allow 20l. out of his salary to the
city. p. 63.
—, —. Trustees appointed to see to the application of the money
given for re-building St. Peter's church. Ibid.
1720, Sept. 26.—A "branch of candlesticks, containing 14 in number," to be bought for 12l. 12s., to be used in St. Mary's church
or any other church where the lecture-service shall be, as the city may
direct. p. 70.
1722[–3], Feb. 12.—Thanks given to Lord Thanet for his benefaction of 40l. towards the rebuilding of St. Peter's church, p. 88.
1723, Sept. 19.—600l. more voted for the completion of St. Peter's
church. p. 92.
—, Oct. 29.—200l. given towards the endowment of St. Botolph's,
to entitle it to the King's bounty of 200l. p. 94.
1724, May 26.—The seats of the mayor, aldermen and common
council-men, and also those of the "aldresses" at St. Peter's church,
to be lined. p. 97. To be new lined Aug. 27, 1781. p. 644.
The seats in St. Mary's church to be handsomely lined with red cloth;
April 17, 1736, p. 212. To be new covered, Oct. 15, 1793, p. 801.
—, July 8.—The stipend given by the city for the Master of the
Free School increased from twenty nobles to twenty pounds per an.
with 10l. for a house, it being found that a deserving man will not
accept of it under a salary of 50l., and the Dean and Chapter only
allowing 20l. p. 98. This to be given to Mr. John Goodall, the dean
and chapter having been unable to find a person duly qualified as having
been educated at Westminster or Eton and of the degree of M.A.
1725, Nov. 3.—A notice of a vacancy for two waits to be given in
the Stamford Mercury. p. 113.
1726[–7], March 18.—An address to the King upon account of the
Spaniards besieging Gibraltar and the Emperor's settling a trade at
Ostend. p. 124.
1727, June 17.—Proclamation of George II. in seven places by the
town-clerk, the crier repeating every sentence after him with a loud
voice. p. 127.
—, Aug. 21.—Sir Thomas Saunderson, K.B., made a freeman of
the city in return for his setting up iron rails and doors and stone
pillars at the front of the church of St. Peter-at-Arches. p. 130.
—, Oct. 10.—A "treat" to be given on Oct. 11, the coronation-day
of Geo. II., the upper and lower conduits to run wine for the corporation, and a hogshead of ale to be given to the common people. p. 133.
1728, Aug. 31.—60l. allowed towards the beautifying and painting
the altar-piece in St. Peter's church, the trustees for the said church
laying down 30l. more. p. 140.
—, Sept. 26.—15l. more allowed for the altar-piece, and a set of
eight bells to be set up, the city paying such charges as cannot be
raised by subscription. p. 142.
1729, Sept. 27.—Six lamps to be set up in the city. p. 152. And
as many additional ones as the mayor and aldermen shall think convenient. Dec. 4. p. 155.
1729[–30], Feb. 26.—A petition to be presented to the House of
Commons against hawkers, pedlers, and petty chapmen. p. 156.
1730, May 9.—The pictures of the present King and his Queen
Caroline to be bought at the charge of the city and set up in the
Inner Hall; and the outside of the Town Hall and the King's arms,
with the figures there, to be new painted and cleansed. p. 157.
1731, May 10.—No persons not born within the city to have the
freedom of the school. p. 167.
—, Nov. 20.—The use of the Town Hall and inner room granted
to the gentlemen and ladies of the city for an assembly once a fortnight
or oftener. p. 173.
1732, May 2.—Estimate to be prepared of the expense of making
the river Wytham navigable to Boston. p. 175.
1734, Dec. 7.—The great mace to be new gilt, and a new scabbard
to be had for the sword and a new hat for the sword bearer. p. 201.
1735, Nov. 24.—Agreement between the city of Lincoln, the town
of Boston, and the owners of low lands, for the procuring an Act of
Parliament for improving the navigation between Lincoln and Boston.
1736, Sept. 25, Dec. 2.—Enlargement of the market place for
butter, eggs, &c. adjoining St. Peter at Arches. pp. 214, 218.
—, Dec. 2.—8l. 8s. given by two persons for a clock and chimes at
St. Peter's. p. 219.
—, —.—Michael Crawthorne, one of the waits, discharged of
his place for forsaking the Protestant religion of the Church of England
and embracing that of the Church of Rome. p. 220.
1740, June 14.—50l. given towards a new steeple at St. Martin's
church. p. 246.
—, Aug. 30.—Proposals of Rich. Ellison accepted for improving
the navigation of Foss-dyke. p. 247.
1742, May 12, 24.—Resignation of William Gylby, esq. Recorder,
by reason of his great years and illness, and election of Charles Monson,
esq. pp. 264, 265.
—, Sept. 10.—Rev. Mr. Rolt lately elected master of the Grammar
School in place of Rev. Mr. Goodall, who deceased on May 25. 7l. 10s.
paid to Rev. Mr. Shelton, usher. pp. 266, 267.
1743, Dec. 7.
—Addresses to George II. on his return to
England, on the prospect of a French invasion,
on the capture of Cape Breton and the invasion
by the Pretender, on the victory at Culloden (the
text of this last address is not given), and
again on his return to England and a general peace. pp. 278, 279,
288, 292, 311.
—, March 7.|
1745, Sept. 25.|
1746, May 28.|
1748, Dec. 19.|
Addresses on April 22 and Sept. 27, 1756. pp. 365, 371. On the
reduction of Louisburgh, Sept. 14, 1758, p. 391. On the reduction
of Quebec, Oct. 25, 1759. p. 443.
1749, Sept. 26.—On the appointment of Rev. Will. White to the
curacy of Hemswell it was ordered that the curate should preach or
cause to be preached there a sermon every Sunday. p. 316.
—, Dec. 14.—A proposal in favour of voting viva voce instead of
by ballot rejected by 22 to 16. p. 319.
—, Feb. 20.—Regulations for the better preservation of
decency and good order at all common councils. p. 320.
1750, Dec. 11, Feb. 2, etc.—Resolutions, and petitions to Parliament,
for an Act for the more speedy recovery of small debts in the city.
pp. 326, 327, etc.
1751, May 13.—The Guildhall to be repaired, being much decayed.
1752, June 6.—Proposals for establishing a manufactory of camblets
and shalloons read. p. 336.
—, Sept. 27.—Request to Will. George D.D. [Dean of Lincoln]
to print, at the expense of the city, his sermon preached on Sept. 18,
at the meeting of subscribers to the charity schools. (fn. 2) p. 338.
1753, May 22.—St. Mary's wooden bridge to be rebuilt with brick
and stone. p. 341.
1755, Nov. 2.—Orders for regulating the coal-trade. p. 359.
—, Dec. 30.—Proposals for a nightly watch to be maintained by
subscription. p. 361.
1756, May 13.—The salary of the waits to be 42s. a year each instead
of 30s., provided they go the watch four nights in the week from
Michaelmas to Lady Day. p. 366.
—, June 9.—The great Bar-gates to be pulled down. p. 367.
1757, Feb. 3.—Subscription for relief of the poor, on account of the
dearness of provisions and fuel. p. 374.
—, Dec. 15.—Leave given to erect an assembly room over the
market house, with card-room and tea-room. p. 384.
1758, Sept. 25.—The east side of the passage under the Stone-bow
to be opened for passengers as that on the west side now is. p. 394.
1758, Nov. 8.—10l. 10s. granted towards buying communion-plate
for the parish of St. Peter-at-Arches. p. 397.
1759, June 23.—Francis Bernard, esq., removed from his place of
Steward of the courts of the city on account of his accepting the office
of Governor of the province of New Jersey and going to reside there.
1760, Oct. 31.—Ceremonial of the proclamation of George III.
p. 423. Addresses, pp. 431, 432.
1762, March 4, Apr. 12.—Petitions against a bill in Parliament for
improving the navigation between Lincoln and Boston. pp. 439, 443.
1765. Dec. 5.—The lighting of street-lamps at the expense of the
city to be discontinued, except those at the new conduit and in the
market house. p. 485.
1766, Oct. 28.—Twenty guineas granted to Rev. Mr. Hewthwaite,
master of the Grammar School, for globes and maps, he having undertaken to teach the scholars geography gratis. p. 493.
1769, Aug. 29.—Order for taking down from houses in the High
Street signs which project into the street. p. 524.
1771, Jan. 26.—A committee appointed to consider a proposal for
making a navigation from Grantham to Lincoln. p. 541.
1781, Dec. 12.—Thanks given to Governor Pownall for presenting
the city with his Majesty's picture in a handsome gilt frame. p. 648.
1786, March 18.—4l. granted in addition to 6l. already granted to be
distributed by the minister and churchwardens of St. Peter-at-Arches
among such persons as shall sing or perform upon any musical instrument in that church during divine service on the Lord's day. p. 695.
1787, Feb. 20.—Petition against a bill in Parliament for building a
bridge over the Trent at Gainsborough. p. 708.
—, Apr. 18.—The mayor to cause a proper place to be made in the
Inner Hall for the reception of the books and records of the city, and to
provide the new patent lamps for the Guildhall. p. 714.
1788, Feb. 9.—A petition to Parliament against the Slave Trad
carried by 9 to 2. p. 725.
—, Aug. 4, and Dec. 3, 1789.—10l. 10s. subscribed towards the
establishing of Sunday Schools in the city. pp. 730, 746.
1790, Feb. 6.—Proposal for an Act of Parliament for lighting the
city. p. 747.
1791–2.—Various proceedings relative to navigation-plans connected
with the Witham and Foss-dyke, and the town of Grantham. pp. 767,
772–3, 782, etc.
1792, May 17.—Enquiry into the causes of the decline of the Grammar
School. p. 781.
—, Dec. 17.—A sum not exceeding 20l. towards a subscription for
checking the spirit of the disaffected. p. 790.
1793, Dec. 12.—One hundred guineas subscribed towards an organ
for St. Peter's church, and 12l. 12s. a year as salary for an organist,
1794, March 1.—Twenty guineas towards the subscription for pulling
down Pottergate. p. 805.
—, June 5.—300l. towards the internal defence of the kingdom.
—, Dec. 22.—Forty guineas to the subscription for the poor during
the present inclemency of the season. p. 814.
1796, Jan. 12.—The mayor had bought thirty pounds' worth of
potatoes, fearing the price was likely to rise, in order to sell them at the
original price. p. 835. Again on Dec. 26, 1799. p. 897.
—, Aug. 23.—The rector of St. Peter's is requested to take steps
to prevent the ringers of the church from ringing so frequently for
gentlemen coming to town and on other occasions. p. 844.
1797, Nov. 7.—Twenty guineas subscribed for the families of those
who fell in the battle of Camperdown. p. 864.
1798, Feb. 14.—Five hundred guineas in aid of Government at the
present crisis. p. 866.
—, March 10.—Orders for reduction of the expenditure of the
corporation, to the extent of 260l. p. 868.
1798, Dec. 17.—5l. 5s. a year subscribed to the weekly charity
schools, 10l. 10s. towards a fund for the inoculation of the poor, and
21l. towards relief of the families of those who fell in the battle of the
Nile. p. 877.
1800, March 3.—Ten guineas "towards the erection of the naval
monument to perpetuate the glorious victories of the British navy."
June 7.—Fifty guineas towards erecting a new church in the parish
of St. Swithin. p. 905.
From the beginning of this volume there are entries of the annual
gifts sometimes of plate and sometimes of money, rising from 20l. to
50l., towards the horse-races. Several addresses at various times to
Geo. III. are in the latter part of the volume.
From the year 1818 the enrolments of freemen are in two folio
volumes. For fifty or sixty years previously they are on rolls.