Records Relating To the Barony of Kendale: Volume 1. Originally published by Titus Wilson and Son, Kendal, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
1154–1189 William son of William de Lancaster gives to the brethren of the hospital of St. Peter, York, the land called Dockerga, by bounds (described), in exchange for land in Kirkeby in Kendale which Ketel son of Eltred gave them and the land of Bartonheved which William, the donor's father gave them; Cal. of Chart. R., ii, 442.
1214–20 Gilbert, son of Roger Fitz-Rainfray confirmed the gift of Docarhe to the brethren of the hospital of St. Peter, York, made by William de Lancastre, by bounds (described); and granted that the brethren might have their horses and pigs in the grantor's forest and 2 folds there, one at Capelthwait and one at Roakerdale, in which to fold and brand their horses and colts once a year, with other liberties; ib., 443.
1281 Grant to the hospital of St. Leonard, York, of free warren in Garthorn and Docker; Cal. of Chart. R., ii, 255.
1294 Walter de Langeton, master of the hospital of St. Leonard's, York, demands against Ingram de Gynes and Christiana his wife and against Gilbert de Brunolvesheved, that they permit him to have common of pasture in Hoton and Lambrigg respectively which belongs to his free tenement in Docker. See Hutton in the Hay p. 178, and Lambrigg.
1431 Tithe of Dokker, demised to . . . . . . . who paid 8s., namely for 12 bushels of oatmeal; Roll at Levens.
1543 Grant to Richard Washington of Grarig of various lands which had belonged to St. Leonard's hospital, York, including the manor of Docker (many tenants named); Letters and Papers, Domestic, vol. 18 (1), 531, n. 26.
Licence to the said Richard Wasshyngton, to alienate to Anthony Duckett the manor of Docker and lands in the hands of 15 tenants (named), the rent and service of Thomas Corney for lands in Middleton, par. Kirkby Lonsdale, and those of Rolande Blande for lands in Settbrare (Sedbergh) and Dent, co. York, all which belonged to St. Leonard's hospital, York; ib., 532, n. 34.
1544 Richard Wasshyngton of Graryg, gent., and Philippa his wife, passed by fine to Anthony Duckett, esq., the manor of Docker and tenements in Docker, Kyrkby in Kendall and Kyrkby in Lonesdall; Feet of Fines, Mich. term, 36 Hen. VIII.
1669 A Breviat of all the hearths chargeable.
14 in number—14s. tax.
c 1685 Anthony Duckett, esq., sold the manor to Sir John Lowther of Lowther, bart.