Records Relating To the Barony of Kendale: Volume 3. Originally published by Titus Wilson and Son, Kendal, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
1727 6 October. Presentment that Awthwaite Bridge in Lambrigg is very ruinous and the water course to the gate adjoining to Docker, 20 yards in length is dangerous for want of repair; Order to repair before next Sessions on pain of £10. K. Order Book, 1725–37; also Indictment Book.
1765 15 April. Petition of the inhabitants of Lambrigg setting forth that the highways within their township are greatly out of repair, and that the 6 days labour is not sufficient to effectually repair the same; it is ordered that an assessment of 6d. in the pound be levied upon the several inhabitants, owners and occupiers, and that in case of refusal or nonpayment within 10 days after demand, be levied by distress and sale of goods, etc. K. Order Book, 1760–70.
1795 12 June. William Rowlandson in his Will, under this date, devised all his messuage, tenement and lands, known as Bracken Hall, otherwise Raggon Hall, unto his nephews Abraham Rowlandson and William Hastwell in trust. They sold the greater part of the estate to Edward Fidler for £2780. It was held of the Rt. Hon. William Earl of Lonsdale as parcel of his manor of Lambrigg by payment of the yearly customary rent of £1 1s. 11d., and subject to the payment of 3s. yearly to William Carus Wilson, 5s yearly in lieu of Capons, (fn. 1) 1s. 2½d. yearly wood rent, a boon hen, one day boon mowing and two days boon shearing to Grayrigg Hall yearly, and also the payment of 3s. tithe meal silver. On 20 February, 1819, the estate was enfranchised by the Earl of Lonsdale to Edward Fidler in consideration of the sum of £241 17s. 1d. Edward Fidler, the son of the above, by his will dated 19 June, 1872, left the estate to Trustees to sell, whereupon Arthur Shepherd bought it in 1873. Shaw End Deeds.