Records Relating To the Barony of Kendale: Volume 3. Originally published by Titus Wilson and Son, Kendal, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
1669 6 July. Petition of the inhabitants of Lupton that Gibson Stange Bridge is in decay. Order that the surveyor of Lupton repair it. (K. Indictment Book, 1669–1692). On 23 April following a similar petition with order to amend before the next Sessions. K. Order Book, 1669–1696.
1706 11 October. The house of John Sutton in Lupton is licensed as a place for religious worship for the people called Quakers. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.
1761 30 March. The dwelling house of George Gregg of Lupton is certified to be a place of religious worship pursuant to an Act of Parliament, 1 William and Mary, entitled an Act for exempting their Majesties' Protestant subjects dissenting from the Church of England, from the penalties of certain laws. K. Indictment Book, 1760–70.
1768 11 January. Application by the Surveyor of highways within the township of Lupton setting forth that the highways are greatly out of repair and that the 6 days labour is insufficient for the effectual repair of the same; it is ordered that an assessment of 6d. in the pound be levied on the several inhabitants owners and occupiers, and in case of refusal or non payment within 10 days after demand, by distress and sale of goods, etc. K. Order Book, 1760–70.
1800 4 October. Died on the 16th ult. at Lupton, aged 99 years, Mrs. Dawson, wife of Mr. Peter Dawson of that place. Mr. Dawson is 101 years of age and retains all his faculties. Newcastle Chronicle.
1809 6 October. Tosca Bridge over Tosca Beck, or Lupton Beck, or Bleabeck, is presented as being in great decay, and that it ought to be repaired at the expense of the county. K. Order and Indictment Book, 1798–1811.
1824 12 January. Order with plan annexed for stopping up a certain public highway in the lower end of the township of Lupton between the south side of the K. Lonsdale and Milnthorpe turnpike road on the north-west side of a field called Roundabout belonging to Arthur Burrow, esq., and a certain place where the said highway joins two other highways near the farm called Green Lane End, of the length of 147 yards and of the breadth of 11 feet. K. Indict. Book, 1817–24.