Records Relating To the Barony of Kendale: Volume 3. Originally published by Titus Wilson and Son, Kendal, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
1696 24 April. The following, being suspected persons, have neglected or refused to make and subscribe the Declaration and take the oaths. Frances Dennyson, Tho. Dennyson, and John Dennyson, in Grayrigg. (K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724). See Docker under same date.
1708 Grayrigg Chapel rebuilt and soon after made parochial.
1712 2 May. Presentment that (Low) Borrow Bridge in the way leading from Kendall to Appleby and standing both in the Barony and the Bottom of Westmorland, is in decay: order for the chief constable of the Kendal Ward to meet the chief constable of the East and West Wards and cause the same to be repaired. On 17 May following an Order was issued for the repair of that part of (Low) Borrow Bridge which belongs to the Barony, the high constable of the East Ward having been ordered to contract for the repair of that part which belongs to the Bottom of Westmorland. K. Order Book, 1696–1724; Browne MSS., vol. i, n. 221.
1713 9 October. Edmond Theobalds, clerk, shows that he has been curate of Grayrigg for above 17 years and that his salary never amounted to more than £5 per annum, save what the inhabitants freely contributed towards his and his family's maintenance, and having been for some time discharged from that employment is reduced to great want; order for 1s. weekly relief to be paid by the churchwardens and overseers of Grayrigg. Augmented to 2s. at the Christmas Sessions. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.
1736/7 14 January. Presentment that 300 yards in length and 2 yards in breadth in the King's highway adjoining to the Hause house field leading from the township of Whinfell to the market town of Appleby is dirty, founderous and in decay, etc., and that the inhabitants of the township of Grayrigg ought to repair the same. K. Indictment Book, 1725–37.
1749/50 12 January. Presentment that a part of the common and ancient King's highway leading between the market towns of K. Kendale and Appleby, beginning at a Gate called Hausefoot Gate in the township of Grayrigg and ending at the river Borrow containing 200 yards in length and 2 yards in breadth is very ruinous, miry, deep broken and in such decay that the liege subjects of the King cannot pass ride or labour over it without great danger of their lives, etc., and that the inhabitants of Grayrigg always repaired and still ought so to amend, etc. Note in margin:—Ordered that the inhabitants be fined £20 if the road be not repaired before Easter Sessions next. Upon a certificate that the highway above was in good and sufficient repair at the court held 12 May, 1750, the order was discharged. K. Indict. Book, 1738–50.
1754 11 October. Presentment that there was and yet is a common and ancient highway leading from the township of Whinfield to the market town of Orton, and that in a certain lane there called Borough Bridge lane in the township of Grayrigg, beginning at Whinfield Fell foot and thence to the south end of Borough Bridge, containing in length 300 feet and in breadth 8 feet, was and yet is very ruinous, etc., and that the inhabitants of Grayrigg ought to repair and amend the same. On 17 January, 1755, the inhabitants pleaded Not Guilty and prayed for an enquiry. On 11 April, 1755, the jury gave the verdict that the inhabitants were Not Guilty in manner and form as in and by the said indictment is alleged against them and therefore it was ordered that they be acquitted. K. Indictment Book, 1750–60.
1811 15 July. Presentment that a certain bridge over the river Lune, called Salterwath Bridge, in the king's common highway between the market towns of Orton and Sedbergh, is in great decay broken and ruinous, etc., and that the inhabitants of the county ought to repair and amend it. (K. Indictment Book, 1811–17). An order accordingly. K. Order Book, 1811–17.
1815 11 November. Lord Lonsdale has presented the inhabitants of Grayrigg with a plot of ground to build a school on and ten guineas toward the building. Local Chron., 10.
1824 11 December. The building of Salterwath Bridge, over the river Lune, let to Rob. Gowling and Co. for £550. (Appleby Order Book, 1824–34). On 9 July, 1827, it was resolved that Robert Atkinson be paid the sum of £1 5s. 6d., for damage done to his land during the rebuilding. Appleby Minute Book, 1825–38.
1826 10 July. Presentment that there is a certain common and ancient king's highway leading from the turnpike road between K. Kendal and Appleby, through the township of Grayrigg and from thence through Firbank and Dillicar to the Crook o' Lune Bridge and continued towards the market town of Sedbergh, and that a certain part of the highway extending from the said turnpike road to a certain field called Bowness close, containing in length 1161 yards and in breadth 7 feet, is very ruinous, etc., and that the inhabitants of the township of Grayrigg ought to repair and amend the same. On 16 October following an order with a plan annexed for widening and enlarging the above mentioned highway for the length of 1161 yards through the lands and grounds of the Rev. William Sewell, the Rev. Littledale, the Rev. John Sampson, John Atkinson and James Thompson. K. Indict. Book, 1824–34.
1828 12 July. A clergyman has just been elected to Grayrigg Church, in the place of the Rev. E. Cleasby. The Rev. Isaac Mossop was elected at a full meeting of the landowners. He was opposed by Mr. Airey from Kendal. "The right of election has always rested in the landowners, but the vicar of Kendal came forward and claimed the nomination. Great praise is due to Mr. Shepherd of Shaw End, Mr. Thompson of Moresdale Hall and others for opposing this innovation. The disputed right to the appointment is to be tried at Law. On 12 September, 1829, at the Lancaster assizes the right of nomination to the perpetual curacy of Selside (sic) chapel was tried. The landowners of the five townships of Grayrigg, Lambrigg, Dillicar, Docker and Whinfell had appointed Mr. Mossop, but the vicar of Kendal appointed the Rev. Thomas Airey and this appointment the bishop sanctioned, and Mr. Airey went to Grayrigg. The landowners then brought this action to try their right. The jury returned the verdict:—"We find the right of nomination in the landowners, subject to the approval of the Vicar of Kendal." Local Chron. pp. 75, 78.
1829 27 April. Filed a certificate under the hand of Thomas Page, minister of God's Word, at Kendal, that a room and premises at Grayrigg in the occupation of John Bell, blacksmith, is intended to be used as a place of religious worship by an assembly or congregation of Protestants, pursuant to the provision of the Statute 52 Geo. 11i. (K. Indict. Book, 1824–34). This was an Act repealing an Act of Charles 11 for the suppression of Conventicles, and enacting that in future all places for religious worship were to be certified and registered and that all preachers were to take the oath and make the Declaration as specified in the Act of 19 Geo. III., c. 44.
1830 20 February. The verdict obtained by Mr. Shepherd, brought for the purpose of trying the right of nomination to the curacy of Grayrigg, has been set aside by the Court of Common Pleas, and a nonsuit entered. Local Chron, 79.
1837 The Chapel was again rebuilt by subscription in 1837 and the tower in 1869.