Final Concords of the County of Lincoln 1244-1272. Originally published by Lincol Record Society, Horncastle, 1920.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
XV. LOST VILLS AND OTHER FORGOTTEN PLACES
Final concords help to identify places mentioned in other records; and for no county is such help more acceptable than for Lincolnshire, where in many instances two, three, or more places, have the same or a nearly identical, name. Thus there are six Ashby's, five Burtons, eight Carltons, at least eight Cotes', six Kirkby's, and probably no fewer than two dozen Thorpes.
Wapentake of Aswardhurn
1. Laythorpe, (fn. 1) a vill in the parish of Kirkby Laythorpe and wapentake of Aswardhurn, which appears in Domesday Book as Ledvlftorp, Leduluetorp, (fn. 2) and in the twelfth to the fourteenth centuries as Leilthorp, Layltorp, Leythorpe, etc. At the end of the thirteenth century it is sometimes coupled with Kirkby by et, and sometimes, as generally in later times and as at the present day, the name precedes Kirkby without a conjunctive. There is also a hamlet of Laythorpe in West Keal.
2. Mareham or Cold Mareham, (fn. 3) a moated enclosure, containing about nine acres, in the parish of Burton Pedwardine, on the east side of the old Roman road, called Mareham lane, and bounded on the north by the Cliff Beck. There was a grange of Sempringham there. It was possibly a place of some importance before the Conquest; for a Sempringham charter mentions 'illum montem qui vocatur þinghou iuxta Caldmarham.' (fn. 4)
4. Silkby, (fn. 7) a hamlet and manor in the parish which is now called Silk Willoughby, lying to the west of the highway from Sleaford to Folkingham. The old manor house, which was replaced by a mean house within living memory, stood on the north side of the road which leads from Willoughby to South Rauceby, and about a quarter of a mile west of Willoughby church. In the grass close (fn. 8) immediately to the east of the manor-house is the site of Silkby chapel, and there is also a mound which is supposed to have been a folk-moot, and another mound called the Butt mound. Silkby appears in the records as a hamlet till the middle of the fourteenth century, after which it became merged in Willoughby, (fn. 9) which came generally to be known as Silk Willoughby instead of Willoughby cum Silkby. There seems to have been no hamlet nor chapel in 1565. (fn. 10) Silkby was still a separate manor in 1496, when the site of the manor with the houses on it was stated to be of no value, (fn. 11) and in 1563. (fn. 12)
Wapentake of Aveland
5. Ouseby, (fn. 13) a depopulated vill, which appears in Domesday Book as Uuesbi and Ulvesbi (fn. 14); and in subsequent records as Useby or Ouseby. It was situated in Birthorpe, which was formerly in the parish of Stow by Threckingham, but is now in Sempringham. Ouseby evidently took its name from a small stream which flows a little to the east of Folkingham, Birthorpe, and Billingborough, and is named the 'Ouse Mer Lode.' In Greenwood's map the vill is placed north-east-by-north of Birthorpe, close to the southern bank of the Ouse Mer Lode, where the road running northwards from Birthorpe joins the highway from Billingborough to Folkingham. In the Enclosure Award of Billingborough and Birthorpe, dated 20 April, 1770, this road is called Ouzeby lane, and the ancient enclosures in the angle formed by the stream on the north and the lane on the east are called Ouzeby closes. These closes no doubt mark the site of the vill. Another close at the extreme southern end of Ouzeby lane, lying to the west of the lane, and bounded on the south by Birthorpe road, is called Wyan's Ouzeby close in the award. Ouseby lane now crosses the Ouse Mer Lode by a bridge, but in olden days there was probably a ford, the wide gravel bottom of which still remains. Ouseby in Birthorpe must be distinguished from Oseby in the parish of Haydor.
6. Ringstone, Ringsden, Ringsdon, (fn. 15) a lost vill which seems to have comprised the south-western part of the parish of Rippingale, and to have been bounded on the north by the stream called the Old Beck, on the south and east by the parish of Dunsby, and on the west by the parish of Kirkby Underwood. (fn. 16) The moat within which the manor house or hall stood can still be traced just to the south of the Cliff Beck, and about two hundred yards east of the highway from Folkingham to Bourne. The house itself was occupied as late as the seventeenth century, after which it fell into decay and gradually disappeared. There was a chapel of our lady there in 1505. (fn. 17) Ringstone is now included in the parish of Rippingale for all purposes except that it is separately assessed to the Black Sluice Drainage rate.
Wapentake of Beltisloe
7. Bowthorpe, (fn. 18) Beirethorpe, Burethorp, a vill in the parish of Witham on the Hill, which is now represented by Bowthorpe park farm in Manthorpe in that parish. It appears in Domesday Book as Bergestorp, Bredestorp, (fn. 19) Adewelle. (fn. 20) and must be distinguished from Birthorpe in the wapentake of Aveland, the Berchetorp of Domesday Book, (fn. 21) formerly a vill and chapelry in the parish of Stow by Threckingham, (fn. 22) and now a hamlet in the parish of Sempringham.
8. Southorpe, (fn. 23) a lost vill in or near Edenham, which must be distinguished from Southorpe in the wapentake of Corringham; from Southorpe in Gayton le Wold, which may possibly be identical with Gayton le Wold grange; and from Sudthorpe, a mile south of Fulbeck.
Wapentake of Bradley
9. Hole and Itterby, (fn. 24) hamlets on the sea coast in the parish of Clee. They were partly devoured by the sea, and parts of them are probably included in Cleethorpes, a name which seems to be comparatively modern, meaning the thorpes in Clee. Itterby occurs four times in Domesday Book. (fn. 25) About 1565 there were seventeen families living there, and thirteen at Hole. (fn. 26)
10. Holme, sometimes called South Holm, (fn. 27) was a vill and manor in the parish of Clee, at the north-western boundary of that parish, and therefore adjoining Great Grimsby. The site now forms part of the municipal borough of Grimsby, and the name of Holme Hill survives to specify the district immediately to the east of Hainton square, in Grimsby, where St. Luke's church, St. Andrew's vicarage, the Holme Hill council schools, etc., are situated. No more than a mound, the site of St. Mary's Roman church, now remains to represent Holme Hill; but a hundred years ago the hill was one hundred and sixty feet high, and covered twelve acres. Fifty years ago to anyone facing eastwards from what is now Hainton square it appeared as a nearly perpendicular cliff from forty to fifty feet high, which in about ten years time was levelled, the materials being used by builders. (fn. 28) The manor belonged to Grimsby abbey, (fn. 29) and it is spoken of in 1316 as the manor of Holme, Weelsby, and Clee. (fn. 30) In 1314 the abbot and convent of Grimsby founded two chantries in the chapel of St. Nicholas at Holme, the one in honour of the blessed Virgin Mary, and the other for the souls of John de Jordeburgh and Elizabeth his wife, who had given to the abbey twenty librates of land in the vills of Clee and Weelsby. In 1316 the abbot and convent founded another chantry in the chapel for the souls of Thomas de Skirbeck and Ralph his son and Ralph's wife Beatrice, Ralph having given to the abbey land in the vills and fields of Holme, Weelsby, and Bradley. (fn. 31) The Friars minors of Grimsby obtained a licence, 30 June, 1313, to make a subterranean conduit from Holm to their house in Grimsby through the soil of the king's land, and of that of John Yoruburgh and Ralph de Skirbek in Holm. (fn. 32)
Wapentake of Calcewath
11. Brakenholm, (fn. 33) an island in the parish of Farlsthorpe.
12. Danmark (fn. 34) in Mumby. About four hundred yards south of St. Leonard's church at Mumby Chapel there is a field, called Denmark Ings, which is held in ming by the churchwardens of that church and the governors of Bethlem hospital.
Wapentake of Flaxwell
Wapentake of Gartree
15. Birkwood, an extinct chapelry in the parish of Kirkby on Bain. (fn. 39) The wood of Birkwood probably extended into the adjoining parishes, and Birkwood hall within a moated enclosure is now situated in the parish of Mareham le Fen.
16. Buckland, (fn. 40) an extinct hamlet in the parish of Woodhall, and probably in the north-eastern part of that parish. Entries relating to the inhabitants of Buckland appear in the Woodhall parish register as late as 1580–1600.
17. Burreth, (fn. 41) a parish co-terminous with the present parish of Tupholme. It appears in Domesday Book as Burgrede. (fn. 42) Tupholme abbey was founded in the parish of Burreth in the time of Henry II, and the church was part of the original endowment of the abbey. The manor was granted to the abbey in 1329. (fn. 43) A vicarage was ordained early in the thirteenth century. (fn. 44) In 1349, during the Black Death, Burreth probably suffered heavily, for a new abbot and a new vicar were instituted, and after 1381 the institutions to the vicarage cease. The very name of the parish fell into disuse; and Tupholme, the abode of the religious community, superseded it. Thus, in 1538, even the manor is described as the manor of Tupholme. (fn. 45)
18. Thorley, (fn. 46) which is found in Domesday Book under the form Turlai. (fn. 47) Later it appears as a manor. A survey, dated 1563, which is contained in one of the court-books (fn. 48) of the manor of Stow in Lindsey shews that Thorley is an alternative name for the manor of Minting park which covers a large part of the parishes of Minting and Gautby.
Wapentake of Haverstoe
19. Autby, (fn. 49) a lost vill and parish, which is now represented by Autby house in the south-western part of the parish of North Thoresby. It is found in Domesday Book as Alwoldebi, Alwoldesbi, Adulvebi, Adulvesbi. (fn. 50) The church was a rectory in the gift of Beauport abbey in Brittany, and the institutions of incumbents continue until the early part of the fifteenth century. It was a hamlet of North Thoresby, circa 1565, with one family. (fn. 51)
Wapentake of Hille
20. Dunsthorpe, (fn. 52) a lost vill and parish which is now included in the parish of Hameringham. The church was a rectory, the institutions to which continue until 1421. It is to be distinguished from Dunsthorpe near Grantham (no. 39) and from Dunsthorpe (no. 27).
Wapentake of Kirton
21. Riskington, (fn. 53) a vill in Kirton in Holland. Reschintone hundred of twelve carucates occurs in Domesday Book; Ryskington hundred, and Riskentonbrac in the territory of Kirton are mentioned in the Charter Rolls. (fn. 54)
22. Tytton, (fn. 55) a hamlet in the western part of the parish of Wyberton, now represented by Tytton hall.
Wapentake of Langoe
23. Cotes, (fn. 56) Chotes, a vill (fn. 57) in the parish of Blankney, almost certainly, the original name of the present hamlet of Linwood. Like that hamlet it consisted of a narrow strip of land stretching along the southern side of the parish of Blankney, bounded on the east by the river Witham. Its western boundary was probably, as in the case of Linwood again, the little stream which runs from north to south on the eastern side of the Great Northern and Great Eastern joint railway (fn. 58); and the 'bridge of Cotes' (fn. 59) probably carried over this stream the road from Cotes to Blankney. Cotes belonged to the fee of Walter Deyncourt; and the whole of the vill seems to have been given by him or his men to Kirkstead abbey about 1140. In a charter of that period, and probably in another charter dated 1140, Walter mentions the grange of Lyndwde which he had given to the monks. (fn. 60) The grange is situated on the western bank of the Carr Dyke, and some Tudor work forms part of the present house. In modern times the house was re-named 'Linwood hall,' or 'Linwood house,' and the name 'Linwood grange' was transferred to a small farm about half a mile to the west. It may be presumed that the inhabitants of Cotes lived near the Carr Dyke, and that the vill and the grange were therefore not far apart. After the land passed into the possession of the abbey it is probable that the vill experienced a decrease, and the grange an increase, of importance; so that, as in the case of Burreth, the name of the religious settlement soon superseded the name of the vill; and Cotes became Linwood, or, as it is sometimes found, Linwood and Cotes. (fn. 61)
24. North Cotes, Cotes, Little Cotts, or Norcottes, which must be distinguished from Cotes in Blankney (q.v.); from Norcotes, (fn. 62) a vill in the parish of West Ashby, where Kirkstead Abbey owned land; and from the parish of North Cotes in the wapentake of Haverstoe. It was a small grange in Hanehaithe (q.v.), and was probably dependent on the more important grange of that name. It occurs as one of the granges of Kirkstead Abbey in a royal charter, dated 1209. (fn. 63) In the Valor Ecclesiasticus 'Hawhethe cum Norcotts' occurs amongst the possessions of Kirkstead (fn. 64); and it appears in an indenture, dated 14 December, 1655, (fn. 65) as the grange of Little Cotts alias North Cotes. This document proves that it lay in the heath of one of the three parishes of Dunston, Metheringham, and Blankney. The last-named parish seems to be excluded because the description 'North' would be inapplicable; Metheringham also, as being close to Hanehaithe grange would appear unlikely. Dunston remains: and it may be mentioned that against a grant of land in Anaheida in the Darcy fee, and therefore in Nocton or Dunston, a sixteenth century hand has written the name 'Authcotes,' which may possibly be a corruption of Heathcotes. (fn. 66)
25. Hanehaithe, Hanehaida, Aneheythe, which was the name both of a district and of a grange of Kirkstead Abbey. As the name of a district it denoted the part of the great heath, stretching southwards from Lincoln, which lies in the parishes of Nocton, Dunston, Metheringham, Blankney, Harmston, Coleby, and Boothby Graffoe, bounded on the west by a line which must probably be drawn between Ermine street and the present rampire or high road from Lincoln to Sleaford, and on the east by the ancient highway from Lincoln through the middle of Mere to Sleaford, which was known as the Sleaford highway (magna uia de Lafforda). (fn. 67) This road is still in use from Bracebridge Heath to Scopwick, and perhaps further south. The heath of Hanehaithe was given to the abbey by various donors about the middle of the twelfth century (fn. 68); and there the monks built an important grange which was known as the grange of Hanehaithe or Kirkestedeheyth. (fn. 69) In an indenture, (fn. 70) dated 14 December, 1655, it is called Kerksted grange. This grange lay on the western side of the Sleaford highway, (fn. 69) and it may be presumed that it was situated near that road; for an agreement, made 26 September, 1233, between the monks and Oliver Deyncourt, speaks of the Sleaford highway as running between the vill of Blankneia and the grange which is called Kirkestedeheyth. This would suggest that the grange was not much to the north or to the south of the latitude of the vill, but nearly due west of it. By the same charter Deyncourt gives the monks a right of way over his land, which lay in Blankney and Metheringham, between their two granges of Linwood and Hanehaithe or Kirkestedeheyth. (fn. 69) The evidence therefore points to Blankney or Metheringham, and especially to the former, as the site of the grange. Now in the parish of Blankney, exactly opposite the village, and about one hundred and fifty yards beyond, that is on the western side of, the Sleaford highway, there is situated the farmstead of Blankney Heath Farm. The present buildings shew no signs of antiquity, but at times stones have been dug up which have evidently formed part of an older building. If we cannot affirm that this is the site of Hanehaithe grange, we can at least say that no place could fit the evidence better, and that careful enquiry and examination have brought to light no evidence which points to another site. Henry III dated letters close at 'Ancheth,' (fn. 71) on 10 January, 1227–8 (fn. 72); and Bishop Grosseteste was at 'Aneheythe' on 22 and 25 March, 1239. (fn. 73) A charter, dated 1155, records an agreement made between the monks of Kirkstead and the knights of the Temple 'dwelling in the Temple of Aneheida,' touching land in Dunston and Nocton. (fn. 74) The reference seems to be to the Templars' house at Mere, which was on the edge of the heath of Hanehaithe.
Wapentake of Lawress
26. Middle Carlton, a lost vill and parish, which is now included in North Carlton. It has been found impossible in every case to identify the several Carltons. In addition to the existing places of that name— Great and Little Carlton, Castle Carlton, Carlton le Moorland, Carlton Scroop, and North and South Carlton—there was a tiny parish of the name lying between North and South Carlton, and now included in the former parish. These three Carltons, which lie from three to five miles north-west of Lincoln, appear in the records under various names: (1) North Carlton is found as Carlton Wildeker, Carlton Kyme, (fn. 75) North Carlton by Scampton, (fn. 76) Carlton Kyme in Ysele (fn. 77); (2) South Carlton as Carlton by Lincoln, Carlton Paynel, (fn. 78) Carlton by Burton; (3) and the depopulated Carlton (fn. 79) as Middle Carlton, Little Carlton, Little Carlton by Lincoln, Carlton Makerel, (fn. 80) Barton, Barton by Northcarleton, Barthon by Suth Carlton, Carlton Barton, Barketon, Barkeston, (fn. 81) Parua Carleton que uocatur Barkeston. (fn. 82)
Middle Carlton, as this place of many aliases may most fitly be called, was a rectory in the gift of the Paynells, and the institutions continue until the end of the fourteenth century. The parish probably suffered heavily in the Black Death; for it is recorded in 1398 that there had been no parishioners for forty years. (fn. 83) In 1428 there were not more than ten inhabitants. (fn. 84) About 1399, Thomas de Aston, who was then patron of the rectory, arranged for its appropriation on the next vacancy to the hospital of St. Edmund, king and martyr, which he had founded at Spital le Street. (fn. 85) A supplementary tithe-rent-charge award of the parish of North Carlton, dated 31 December, 1849, shews that the master of the hospital was entitled to 21l. a year on account of tithes arising out of nine closes, eight of pasture and one of meadow, which were 'well-known as the rectory of Little Carlton.' These closes contain 108 acres, 2 roods, 2 perches, and it seems probable that they comprised the whole area of the parish with the probable exception of a strip of the marsh running westwards towards Broxholme. The map attached to the award shews that the closes lay just to the west of the road from Lincoln to Kirton, and were bounded on the north by North Carlton, on the south by South Carlton, and on the west by a bridle road from North to South Carlton. The boundaries of these closes have been considerably altered, and no fences now mark the boundary between North Carlton and what was Middle Carlton. The nine closes are now represented by the following enclosures as delineated in the Ordnance Survey:—no. 73, the western parts of nos. 79 and 111, no. 113, no. 120, and no. 121. The village itself was situated in a close called Bartons, which is now included in no. 113 of the Ordnance Survey. The outline of the church can still be discerned, especially in dry weather, a few yards from the northern boundary of no. 113, and just to the east of the footpath from North Carlton to South Carlton; while mounds mark the foundations of buildings on the opposite side of the footpath. There are also traces of a road to the village from the highway to Lincoln on the east, and of a road which connected the three Carltons.
Wapentake of Loutheske
27. Dunsthorpe, (fn. 86) which is entered as a hamlet in the parish of South Elkington, in a return of parishes, chapels, and hamlets in Lincolnshire, circa 1565, at which date it contained four families. (fn. 87) Circa 1250– 1258, William son of Philip de Kyme granted a croft in Dunstorp and a bovate of land in Aukingtona [Elkington] to the canons of Lincoln. (fn. 88) It is possible that Dunsthorpe should be identified with the existing Elkington Thorpe, which is situated immediately to the east of the village of South Elkington.
28. Fanthorpe, Felmethorp, (fn. 89) a grange of Tupholme abbey, in the parish of Louth, which is now represented by a house called Fanthorpe Lawn and three cottages, standing about a mile and a quarter north-west of Louth, close to the boundary between Louth and South Elkington. There is also a farm named Fanthorpe Farm about a mile north of Louth on the western side of the highway from Grimsby to Louth, and about a quarter of a mile south-east of Fanthorpe Lawn. Circa 1565, Fanthorpe was returned as containing one family, and as being a hamlet of South Elkington, (fn. 90) but its connexion with that parish was probably no more than a temporary arrangement for ecclesiastical purposes.
29. South Cadeby, (fn. 91) a lost vill and parish, which has often been confused with North Cadeby which itself was formerly a separate parish, but is now annexed to Wyham. Circa 1565, South Cadeby was returned as a hamlet of Calcethorpe, containing two families. (fn. 92) The writer has lately been able, by means of evidence derived from charters and terriers, (fn. 93) and by investigations on the spot, to determine the situation of the parish. It was bounded on the north by Calcethorpe, and on the south by Grimblethorpe; and the present boundary between those parishes runs along the northern side of an ancient road which was known as Cadeby street, and which can still be traced by a depression in the ground. This road was a continuation of the present road which leads south-eastwards from Wykeham hall. When South Cadeby ceased to be a parish, Cadeby street with the land which lay to the south of it was transferred to Grimblethorpe, while Calcethorpe received all that lay to the north of the street. South Cadeby was bounded on the west by East Wykeham; while the east end, which was probably very narrow, abutted upon the parish of Welton le Wold and the highway from Wragby to Louth. The small stream which rises in the north-western part of Calcethorpe, and runs along the boundary between East Wykeham on the west and Calcethorpe, Cadeby, and Grimblethorpe on the east, and joins the river Bain at the north-eastern corner of Brough on Bain, was itself also called the Bain in the twelfth century; and on this stream, in the territory of Cadeby, Sixle priory had a mill. (fn. 94) A highway called Horncastle street, (fn. 95) which can still be traced from Kelstern to Biscathorpe, ran through the parish from north to south along the high ground between the church and the eastern arm of the Bain.
The site of the village can still be traced by numerous mounds (1) in a close called 'Cadeby close,' now in Grimblethorpe, bounded on the north by the present boundary between Grimblethorpe and Calcethorpe, and on the east by a stream which, rising in Kelstern, flowed through Calcethorpe, Cadeby, Grimblethorpe and Gayton le Wold, and joined the Bain at Biscathorpe; and (2) in the south-western part of an adjoining close, called 'Little Cadeby,' in Calcethorpe, bounded on the south by 'Cadeby close' and lying on both sides of the stream.
The site of the church is marked by mounds, and by the memory of an old inhabitant handed down to her grandson who is now living. This lady, Mrs Sharpley of Kelstern, remembered the church, a small thatched building, being burnt down in the early part of the nineteenth century. It stood in 'Little Cadeby' in a narrow salient in the western side of that close. The church, which was dedicated to St. Peter, was given with its chapels to Sixle priory by Hugh de Bayeux. (fn. 96) A vicarage was ordained, (fn. 97) and vicars were instituted until the second half of the fifteenth century. After that the vicarage was incorporated in the rectory of Calcethorpe. Early in the thirteenth century the vicarage of South Cadeby was charged with a yearly pension payable to Sixle priory, (fn. 98) and we find such a pension charged on the rectory of Calcethorpe in the time of Henry VIII. (fn. 99)
Domesday Book shows that there were no fewer than six manors in this small parish—the bishop of Durham had two, Roger of Poitou two, Alfred of Lincoln one, and William Blundus one. (fn. 100) In addition to this, Alfred of Lincoln had a manor in Catebi Torp, (fn. 101) but there are grounds for identifying this place with Calcethorpe. To guard against the confusion which has prevailed in the past, (fn. 102) it may be mentioned that North Cadeby, in the wapentake of Haverstoe, and now annexed to Wyham, belonged at the time of Domesday to count Alan, (fn. 103) and that the benefice was a rectory in the patronage of Wellow Abbey, the church being dedicated to St. Helen.
30. West Wykeham or Little Wykeham, (fn. 104) a lost vill and parish, which is now included in East Wykeham. Half the church was appropriated to Sixle priory, and half to Markby priory. (fn. 105) Vicars were instituted until 1382.
Wapentake of Loveden
31. Holme Spinney, (fn. 106) which is entered in Domesday Book as Holm, a manor of 12 carucates, belonging to the fee of Gilbert de Gant. (fn. 107) Later records shew that Holm included Beckingham and Sutton which are stated to be members of the manor of 'Hulm.' (fn. 108) In the fourteenth century the manor was known as Holme Spinney. (fn. 109) In 1270, Sir Gerard de Furnival, the lord of the manor, granted land in Beckingham, Sutton, and Holm, for the maintenance of a priest to celebrate divine service daily for the souls of himself and Christian Ledet, his mother, and others in the chapel of St. Leonard within his court at Holme. (fn. 110) Chaplains were instituted to the chantry of the chapel of St. Leonard within the manor of Holme Spinney until 1396 (fn. 111); after which there are no more institutions until we come to four admissions (fn. 112) in the sixteenth century to the perpetual chantry of St. Leonard founded in the church of Beckingham. It is plain that the chantry had been removed from Holme Spinney, for the first of the later group of admissions states that it had been founded for the soul of Edward [sic] Furnivall, while the certificate of Lincolnshire chantries, circa 1548, gives the name of the founder as Gerard Furnyvall. (fn. 113) By the time of Henry VII the manor was no longer called the manor of Holme Spinney but the manor of Beckingham, (fn. 114) and eventually the very name of Holme was seemingly forgotten. Holme has been identified with the Holmes in Brantbroughton (fn. 115); and also with the Holmes, three meadows close to Beckingham on the west side of the Witham; but these sites do not fit the evidence, for Holme Spinney was in the parish of Beckingham and near Sutton. (fn. 116) There can, however, be no doubt about the site; for just to the south of the hamlet of Sutton and only separated from it by one small close, there is a low hill which occupies the chief part of a grass close (fn. 117) measuring 14.741 acres, and is now known as Cumberland hill. The close is partly surrounded by water, and in former days it may well have been entirely encircled, and thus have been a holme or island. There are traces of a moat, and of one, if not two, dikes within it; and the hill is covered with mounds and hollows suggestive of foundations. Standing in the midst of the low lands near the Witham, which are still liable to be flooded, it must have been a position of great natural and artificial strength, suggesting a castle rather than a manor-house.
Wapentake of Ludborough
32. Cawthorpe (fn. 118) in the eastern part of the parish of Covenham St. Bartholomew. The place has sometimes been confused with Little Cawthorpe in the wapentake of Calcewath. (fn. 119) Cawthorpe is mentioned in a terrier, dated 1601, of the glebe of Covenham St. Bartholomew as being divided by a dike from Wragholme in the parish of Grainthorpe. (fn. 120) Cawthorpe seems sometimes to be used to denote the parish of Covenham St. Bartholomew. (fn. 121)
Wapentake of Manley
33. North Conesby, or Little Coneysby, or Little Coningsby, (fn. 122) a lost vill in the parish of Flixborough.
34. South Conesby, or Great Coneysby, or Great Coningsby, (fn. 123) a lost vill, which is now represented by Conesby Farm in the extreme north of the parish of Crosby.
35. Haythby, (fn. 124) a lost vill in the parish of West Halton. Its situation is established by the tithe award map of that parish which shews twenty-one small contiguous closes which are described as 'Hairby fields.' This land is marked, though not named, in the oneinch Ordnance map, being enclosed by a dotted line. It is bounded on the east by the road running southwards from Coleby, on the west by the road from Aukborough to Burton, on the north by a field-road running westwards from the south end of Coleby village, and on the south by a line parallel to the northern boundary and about one-third of a mile to the south of it.
36. Stainton, (fn. 125) a lost vill near Waddingham, which is coupled with Waddingham as late as 1428, (fn. 126) but afterwards appears to have been merged in that parish, which commonly appears as Stainton Waddingham.
Wapentake of Skirbeck
37. Fen, (fn. 127) a depopulated hamlet, manor, and chapelry in the parish of Fishtoft.
Wapentake of Threo
39. Dunsthorpe, (fn. 131) a lost vill, which is closely associated in various records with Harrowby and Westhorpe (see no. 43). The site of the vill must be looked for in the borough of Grantham, east of the river Witham, in the parish of New Somerby which was formed out of the western end of Somerby in 1894. Part of the vill may perhaps be included in Harrowby. In the Somerby Enclosure Award, dated 5 August, 1813, the second close eastwards from the river Witham, which is bounded on the north by Harrowby, is called 'Middle Dunstrop.' This Dunsthorpe must be distinguished from Dunsthorpe near Hammeringham (see no. 20), and from Dunsthorpe in South Elkington (see no. 27).
40. Ringsthorpe, (fn. 132) a lost vill in the parish of Barkston.
41. St. Anne's (fn. 133) a hamlet at the extreme western end of what was formerly the parish of Somerby, adjoining the river Witham. It is now included in the recently constituted ecclesiastical parish of St. Anne's, Grantham, in the district of New Somerby, which forms part of the borough of Grantham. Circa 1565, there was 1 family in the hamlet. (fn. 134)
43. Westhorpe, (fn. 137) a hamlet in the parish of Somerby, which in the records is generally associated with Somerby, Dunsthorpe (see no. 39), and Harrowby. In terriers of the glebe of Somerby, dated 24 January, 1611–12, and 18 April, 1625, the rector is stated to have a cottage, land, and common rights in 'West Thorpe or West Somerbie.' (fn. 138) The houses in Somerby are divided into two well-defined groups, about three quarters of a mile apart, the eastern group, which contains the church and the old manor-house, being called High Somerby or Top Town, and the western group being known as Low Somerby or Bottom Town. The evidence is not conclusive, but there is something to be said for identifying Westhorpe with Low Somerby. It may be mentioned that there is a hamlet of Westhorpe in Quadring.
Wapentake of Walshcroft
Wapentake of Welle
Wapentake of Winnibriggs
46. Casthorpe, (fn. 143) Cassingthorpe, a depopulated vill in the western part of the parish of Barrowby, consisting of East Casthorpe and West Casthorpe. (fn. 144) The present Casthorpe lodge probably marks the situation of the former, and Casthorpe house the approximate position of the latter.
47. Ganthorpe, (fn. 145) a lost vill which is now almost certainly included in the south-eastern part of Great Ponton. In the records it is associated with that parish and with Little Ponton. Countess Judith had a manor in Germundtorp in 1086. (fn. 146) In 1212 and 1242 it appears as Germerthorpe, (fn. 147) and in 1401–2 as Gernthorp, (fn. 148) in 1304 as Bermthorpe. (fn. 149) It has sometimes been wrongly identified with Grainthorpe. (fn. 148) In terriers of the glebe of Great Ponton in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries the south field, lying between Great Ponton and Stoke Rochford and east of Great Ponton moor and west of Cringle beck, is sometimes called Ganthorpe field; and there are seven fields in the parish. One land lies at Ganthorpe hedge, and three lands upon 'Ganthrope' side. (fn. 150)
48. Houghton and Walton (fn. 151) decayed hamlets in the old parish of Grantham, which are now represented respectively by Houghton Farm on the eastern bank of the river Witham immediately to the north of the point where the Great Northern Railway crosses the river, and by Walton Farm, a little to the south-west of Houghton. Spittlegate, which adjoins Houghton on the north and west and Walton on the North, is from the thirteenth century onwards almost always associated with Houghton and sometimes with Walton also. (fn. 152) In 1333 the three places were assessed to a subsidy (fn. 153) as one township (uillata). In the sixteenth century lay subsidies, the vill is described comprehensively as Spittlegate, except in one instance when it appears as Houghton cum Spittlegate. (fn. 154) At the time of the enclosure, Spittlegate, Houghton, and Walton formed a lordship or manor. Spittlegate is now divided into Spittlegate Within, that is the part inside, and Spittlegate Without, the part outside, the borough of Grantham; and Spittlegate Without, Houghton, and Walton form a civil parish. Houghton is the only one of the three names which appears in Domesday Book, where it is found as Hogetune, Hogtone, Hochtune, Hoctune, (fn. 155) and is assessed to the Danegeld at 1 carucate + 3 carucates 2½ bovates + 1¾ carucutes + 1¼ carucates + ½ carucate (= 7 carucates 6½ bovates). There is, however, near Grantham, a mysterious vill named Nongtone or Nongetune (fn. 156) which is rated at 3 carucates 5½ bovates + ½ carucate (= 4 carucates 1½ bovates); and it is significant that this amount when added to the 7 carucates 6½ bovates of Houghton makes a complete hundred of twelve carucates. The name Nongtone or Nongetune is not found in records subsequent to Domesday Book, and what evidence there is suggests that the land given there under that name afterwards formed part of the vill of Houghton, Walton, and Spittlegate. It is tempting to treat Nongtone or Nongetune as a mistake of the constructors of Domesday Book for Hongetune. Those clerks had to rely upon returns from the wapentakes, and it has been pointed out that confusion between H and N in the script of the eleventh century was not impossible, while it was easy, then as now, to read n for u.
Wapentake of Wraggoe
50. Holtham, (fn. 159) a lost vill, about equi-distant from Legsby and Sixle, which is now represented by a farm called Holtham Garrs or Holtham Garth in the parish of Legsby. It appears in Domesday Book as Houten, and is sokeland of Legsby and of Sixle. (fn. 160) It is also found as Hotham, Hogham, Houtham, Hudham, and Odham in the charters of Sixle priory. (fn. 161)
51. Lissingleys, (fn. 162) which is the eastern half of a piece of extraparochial land bounded on the north by Buslingthorpe, on the south by Wickenby, on the east by Lissington, and on the west by Friesthorpe. (fn. 163)
Wapentake of Yarburgh
52. Coton, (fn. 164) a depopulated vill, which was a hamlet in the parish of Keelby as late as circa 1565, when it contained one family. (fn. 165) At a later time it was extra-parochial, and is now included in the parish of Brocklesby. In Domesday Book there was a manor of one carucate in Chelebi [Keelby] or Cotes, (fn. 166) which corresponds to the one carucate which Stephen de Albemara held in Cotun in 1115–18. (fn. 167) Alan de Monceaux, who held of the earl of Albemarle, founded a priory of Cistercian nuns [at Coton] in the parish of Keelby, probably in the reign of Stephen, giving them the whole vill of Coton (fn. 168) which consequently became known as Nun Coton.
The usual modern spelling of place-names has generally been followed in the index. In some instances, however, a more correct form has been substituted, though this practice has been followed sparingly. The old form Sixle has been preferred to the modern Sixhills, since the name has nothing to do with any hills. In the sixteenth century it was often written Sixhill; in the eighteenth century a final s was added, seemingly as a supposed grammatical correction; and in the nineteenth century editors of county directories carried the process a step further by dividing the name into two words—'Six Hills.' The forms Bloxham and Dunham are probably more correct than the alternative forms of Bloxholme and Dunholme. In the name Cotes, which is inconveniently common in the county, the a which, since the time of Elizabeth, has often been inserted after the second letter has been omitted as having no ancient authority, and as tending also to obscure the origin of the name— O. E. cot or O. N. kot = a cottage.