The Environs of London: Volume 3, County of Middlesex. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1795.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
ADDITIONS to the MIDDLESEX PARISHES; and Corrections: vol. II
P. I. The water of Acton Wells is cathartic, and more powerful than any other in the kingdom of the same quality, excepting that of Cheltenham, which is considerably stronger; the quantity of salts in a pound weight (avoirdupois) of the Cheltenham water being, according to Dr. Hales's experiments, 60 grains; in a pound of Acton water, 44 (fn. 1).
P. 92. Addison appears to have had a country house near Chelsea in 1710 (fn. 2).
P. 106. Rigep Dandulo, the Turk, of whose conversion a narrative was published in 1657, having made an acquaintance with Mr. Lawerence, the Turkey merchant at Smyrna, was upon his first coming to England introduced by him to his mother, Lady Lawrence, who gave him a hospitable reception at her house in Chelsea, which he made for some time his principal residence (fn. 3). There he met with Dr. Warmstry, author of the narrative (fn. 4), who resided also at Chelsea, and was principally instrumental in his conversion. It appears that a brief was circulated for the benefit of this Dandulo, whose baptismal name was Philip, in the year 1662. It seems to have been very productive; the sum of 1l. 3s. 9d. was collected in the small parish of Finchley (fn. 5).
P. 135. Francis Marquis of Hertford, died at the seat of his daughter the Countess Dowager of Lincoln at Putney, in the month of June 1794. He had filled several distinguished political situations; was ambassador extraordinary to the court of France in 1763, and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland in 1765.
P. 137. "Abel Bowyer, buried Nov. 19, 1729." Abel Boyer, whose name is mispelt in the register, was a native of Upper Languedoc. He left France on account of the persecutions of the protestants in 1685, and fled to Holland, whence, a few years afterwards, he came to this country. In 1692 he became tutor to Sir Benjamin Bathurst's son, afterwards Allen Lord Bathurst. Mr. Boyer had for many years the principal management of a newspaper called the Postboy, and published another periodical work, which came out monthly, called the Political State of Great Britain. He wrote a life of Queen Anne in folio, and compiled a grammar and dictionary of the French language, which are still esteemed the best of their kind. He translated Racine's tragedy of Iphigenia, which was brought on the stage under the name of Achilles in Aulis. Mr. Boyer, at the time of his death, resided in a house which he had built in the Five Fields, Chelsea (fn. 6).
P. 175. For some time previously to 1750, a kind of masquerade, called a Jubilee Ball, was much in fashion at Ranelagh, and frequently repeated. They were suppressed on account of the earthquakes in 1750.
P. 177. A house at Little Chelsea, being then known by the name of Sir James Smith's house, was sold in 1699 by the Boveys, as heirs of Dame Anne Smith, to Anthony Earl of Shastsbury, who, in 1710, sold the site, with all the newly erected buildings, to Narcissus Luttrell, Esq. (fn. 7) It does not appear that Lord Shastsbury pulled down Sir James Smith's house, but altered it, and made considerable additions, by a building, 50 feet in length, which projected into the garden. It was secured with an iron door, the window-shutters were of the same metal, and there were iron plates between it and the house to prevent all communication of fire, of which this learned and noble Peer seems to have entertained great apprehensions. The whole of the new building, though divided into a gallery and two small rooms (one of which was his Lordship's bedchamber), was fitted up as a library. The Earl was very fond of the culture of fruit trees, and his gardens were planted with the choicest sorts, particularly every kind of vine, which would bear the open air of this climate. It appears by Lord Shastsbury's letters to Sir John Copley, that he dreaded the smoke of London as so prejudicial to his health, that whenever the wind was easterly he quitted Little Chelsea. It is said, that after his return from the continent, whither he was obliged to retire on account of his health, he was very desirous of re-purchasing this house of Mr. Luttrell.
P. 184. A camp was formed in Hyde Park during the riots in 1780. The barracks, built in the park, near Knightsbridge, in the year 1793, are intended for the reception of one of the regiments of life-guards.
P. 210. The Duchess of Cleveland's funeral was attended by the Dukes of Ormond and Hamilton, the Earls of Essex, Grantham, and Lifford, and Lord Berkeley of Stratton. She was buried in the church (fn. 8).
P. 230. In this church are valuts belonging to the families of Gulston, Fisher, Ironside, &c. In the church-yard is the tomb of John Crofts, Esq. 1793, and vaults belonging to Sir Charles Morgan, Bart. John Baillie, Esq. Percival Hart, Esq. &c.
P. 259. Wyer Hall is called by that name, alias Goldesters, in a survey of the manor of Edmonton (fn. 9), bearing date 1604.
P. 265. A quarto pamphlet was published in 1621, instituted, the wonderfull discoverie of Elizabeth Sawyer, a witch, late of Edmonton; her conviction, and condemnation, and death; together with the relation of the Divel's accesse to her, and their conference together. Written by Henry Goodcole, minister of the word of God, and her continual visitor in the goale of Newgate." Prefixed to this pamphlet is a rare print, re-published in Caulfield's account of remarkable persons.
P. 306. Upon a closer inspection, the date on the tower at Hadley, of which a sac simile is given in page 519, was found to be 1494; the conjecture therefore, as far as it is guided by the date there given, is erroneous.
P. 363. John Meyrick, Esq. agreed for the purchase of Peter borough-house in the year 1790; but some doubts arising with regard to the validity of the title, a Chancery suit ensuded, which was determined in March 1795. Mr. Meyrick's purchase being confirmed by the Lord Chancellor's decree, the house is now in his possession.—Swift, in one of his letters, says, that Lord Peterborough's gardens at Parson's green were the finest he had ever seen about London (fn. 10).
P. 365. Mrs. Pendarves, afterwards Mrs. Delany (well known for her beautiful imitations of flowers in paper mosaic), in writing to Dr. Swift, anno 1736, says, that her employment that summer had been making a grotto for her grandfather, Sir John Stanley, at Northend (fn. 11).
P. 366. Mrs. Elizabeth Wright died in the month of August 1794. Holcrofts is now the property of her niece, Lady Guise, relict of Sir John Guise, Bart. of Highnam near Gloucester.—Elborowe Woodcock, Esq. died in the month of November 1794.
P. 419. Talbot was Bishop of Birtha. He is said to have been raised to that dignity by the Pope, as a compensation for having waved his claim to the Earldom of Shrewsbury, to which he was entitled by descent.
P. 457. Sir Alan Buxhull, son of Maud Countess of Salisbury, by his deed, bearing date 1436, conveyed the manor of Wyke to Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury (husband of his half-brother's daughter) (fn. 12). Isabel, grand-daughter of Richard Earl of Salisbury, married George Duke of Clarence.
P. 471. Thomas Trench, Esq. who is mentioned in this page, was son of Edmund Trench, M.D. of Hackney, and younger brother of the Rev. Edmund Trench, a non-conformist divine, of whom there was a life published, with his portrait prefixed, in 1693. He was brought up at Hackney, and I suppose was a native of that place.
P. 480. The following communication relating to the Diffenters' college at Hackney (obligingly transmitted at the author's request by Dr. Kippis), did not come to hand till after the account of that parish was printed off. It corrects some errors in the short account there given. The college was opened in the month of September 1786, when Dr. Price, Dr. Kippis, Dr. Rees, Mr. Worthington, and Mr. Morgan, were appointed tutors. It was intended that Dr. Price should read lectures on morality and the higher species of mathematics; but in consequence of his natural timidity, and his never having been previously engaged in the business of instruction, he found himself unable to acquire that facility of speaking and illustration which is so desirable in a prosessor, and therefore took a very small share in the department which was allotted him; the remainder was discharged by Mr. Morgan, who was employed also in some other branches of literature. The general course of lectures in Pneumatology, Ethics, and Divinity, in Jewish Antiquities, and Church History, was assigned to Dr. Rees, who had some concern likewise in the mathematical and philosophical department. The subjects undertaken by Dr. Kippis were, Universal Grammar, Rhetoric, Chronology, and History, to which were occasionally added other subjects connected with the Belles Lettres. Mr. Worthington was the classical tutor, in which employment he continued only one year. He was succeeded by Mr. Morgan; Mr. Morgan by Mr. Gilbert Wakefield; Mr. Wakefield by Mr. John Pope; and Mr. Pope by Mr. Currie. In 1790 a considerable alteration in the arrangement took place by the election of Mr. Belsham, who became theological tutor, Dr. Rees taking upon himself the whole series of mathematical, philosophical, and astronomical science. At Christmas 1791, Dr. Kippis resigned his department in the college, and entirely quitted the business of education, in which he had been engaged near 30 years. The present tutors are Dr. Rees, Mr. Belsham, and Mr. Currie. Dr. Priestley never had any department in the college, but whilst he resided at Hackney gave grauitously two lectures in a week, one in civil history, the other in chemistry. The general management of the college is in a large committee, out of which several gentlemen are selected, who, with the tutors, form a superintending committee.
P. 488. In the notes to the new edition of the Tatler is an account of the artillery company marching to an exercise of arms in the fields leading to Baumes in 1706. Baumes March is there called a favourite exercise at arms (fn. 13).
P. 510. Lady Margaret Lenox, who is said to have died at Hackney in 1577, was Margaret Countess of Lenox, daughter of Archibald Earl of Angus (by Margaret Queen of Scots), and wife of Matthew Stewart, Earl of Lenox. She was buried in Westminster Abbey. There is a print of her tomb in Sandford's Genealogical History of the Kings of England (fn. 14).
P. 528. Concerts at Hampstead Wells were advertized from 1701 to 1710 (fn. 15).
Ibid. The wells at Kilbourn very nearly resemble those at Acton, there being only one grain of salt less in a pound, avoirdupois weight, of the water (fn. 16).
HARROW ON THE HILL.
P. 566. In confirmation of the conjecture in this page, as to the alliance between the Goodlacks and Bellamies, it appears that Sir John Boys married Thomasine, daughter and heir of Thomas Goodlack, Esq. Sir John Boy's grandson left an only child, Mabel, married to Richard Bellamy, Esq. whose son William had issue Richard, Thomas, Bartholomew, Robert, and Jeromy (fn. 17) who was executed, as mentioned in p. 566.
P. 570. The coins mentioned in this page were found near the park-pale on the common. They were principally gold, and of the lower empire: Constantine Junior, Constantius, Valentinian, Valens, Gratian, Magnus Maximus, Theodosius, Arcadius and Honorius. A few other antiques, a bracelet, two rings, &c. were found with them (fn. 18).
P. 591. The manor of Yedding, which has a court Baron, is held by a quit-rent of 6s. of the manor of Hayes. In 1439 it was the property of Thomas Bullock and Alice his wife; in 1491, of Thomasine, relict of John Bullock (fn. 19); in 1559, of Thomas Hughes, Esq. who sold it, anno 1585, to William Hewett, or Hewytt, Esq. afterwards Sir William Hewytt, Knt. (fn. 20). In 1691 it was the property of Dame Arabella Wiseman, wife of Sir Edw. Wiseman, and coheir and sole executrix of George Viscount Hewytt. In 1707 it was sold by Edmund Wiseman, Esq. son and heir of Sir Edmund, to Robert Foot. After the death of Anne Foot, widow, this estate came between Samuel Lambert, Esq. great nephew of Richard Foot, and Sarah Morse, niece of the widow. The whole was afterwards vested in Lambert, who died a bachelor; his sister Margaret married Joseph Bagnall, Esq. whose daughter (and eventually heir) Sarah married German Pole, Esq. In 1742 this manor was bought by the executors of Christopher Lethieullier, Esq. in trust for his son Benjamin (then an infant), who is the present proprietor. It is erroneously stated in Vol. II. P. 4. that the Acton estate was purchased by the same parties; but it appears, on farther inquiry, that the purchase took place before Christopher Lethieullier's death.
P. 596. Patrick Young, instituted to this rectory in 1623, was esteemed one of the most eminent Greek scholars of his time, and was librarian to James I. and Charles I. He published a translation (with notes) of Clement's epistle to the Romans, and was editor of some other learned works.
P. 598. Thomas Trimplett, mentioned in this page, kept a school at Hayes. He was afterwards prebendary of Westminste, where in the abbey there is a monument to his memory. Anthony Wood calls him a great wit, a good Grecian and poet; he adds, that several specimens of his poetry were extant in various books, and that he left many more in MS. Dr. Triplett published an edition of Lord Falkland's treatise on the infallibility of the church of Rome.
ADDITIONS to the MIDDLESEX PARISHES; and Corrections: Vol. III
P. 34. l. 8. and p. 38. l. 9. In one of these places there is a mistake. I believe it is in the latter page; and that instead of "only daughter," should be read "daughter and (eventually) sole heir." Robert Fenne, Esq. (afterwards Sir Robert), was married to Mrs. Frances Crompton, of Hounslow, anno 1619, in Kensington church. It is probable that she died without issue, as the peerages call Lady Lyttelton sole heir of Sir Thomas Crompton.
P. 110. Sir Jeffrey Fenton, mentioned in this page, was a privy counsellor to Queen Elizabeth and James I. in Ireland, and published a translation of Guicciardini's History of Italy. (Lloyed's State Worthies.)
P. 92. note 44. and p. 121. After the account of this parish was printed, I was informed (fn. 21) that the site of the alms-houses, formerly belonging to the chapel of All Angels, was given to the parish by the will of Sir Richard Wynne, who died in 1649; and was not included in the benefaction of Thomas Stainford, as had always been understood by the parish.
P. 231. According to an actual survey lately taken by Mr. Black, this parish contains 1515 acres 3 roods of land, of which 93 are arable; 1378 acres 3 roods, meadow; 12 acres, pasture; and 32 woodland.
Of this number 122 were pauper, buried at the expence of the parish. The average monthly number during the years 1793 and 1794 was 123; the average quarterly number, 369, which the quarter abovementioned exceeds by 225. In the months of January, February, and March, 1793, there were 447 burials; being 147 less than in the same months in 1795. In January, February, and March, 1794, there were only 341 burials; being 253 less than in those months in 1795.
P. 526. Isabell, heir of Morteyne, and wife of Edmund Avenell, died anno 1377, seised of an estate called, in the evidences of the family, the Manor of Totingham, in Middlesex; and that Sir Richard Chamberlaine, cousin and heir of Sir Edmund Morteyne, took possession at her decease, paying Avenell seven marks rent during his life (fn. 22). This certainly was not either of the manors described in the account of that parish. It appears by the court-rolls, that the said Isabell held a house and lands, which had formerly been Ralph Du Kay's, of the manor of Bruses.