The Environs of London: Volume 4, Counties of Herts, Essex and Kent. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1796.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THIS Volume (being the conclusion of the Work) treats of thirty-one Parishes in Hertfordshire, Essex, and Kent, which have been already described by preceding writers. Where the Author has availed himself of the labours of his predecessors, their authority is quoted. Having been indulged with such liberal access to the public offices, he has, in all matters of record, consulted and referred to the originals, whence he has obtained many particulars hitherto unpublished. The descent of property, through the liberality of the present owners, has been continued. The church notes and extracts from parochial registers are, for the most part, now published for the first time.
To this Volume is annexed a General Appendix, in which are contained such Additions to the account of each Parish as have been procured since the publication of the former Volumes. All changes in existing circumstances, as far as they have come to the Author's knowledge, are noted; all errors likewise, which have been discovered or pointed out, are corrected, either in the Appendix, or in a general Table of Errata at the end of the Volume.