The Environs of London: Volume 4, Counties of Herts, Essex and Kent. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1796.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The parish of Walthamstow lies in the hundred of Becontree. It is bounded by Chingford, Woodford, Wanstead, and Leyton, in Essex; and by the river Lea, which separates it from Hackney and Tottenham, in Middlesex. It contains about 4320 acres of land, of which about 3000 are inclosed; 350, open fields; 130, inclosed woodlands; and 820, roads (fn. 1) and waste land (fn. 2). The greater part, both of the inclosed and open fields, is pasture: in the year 1794, there were only 425 acres of arable land in the parish; in 1795, 602. The soil is various; viz. gravel, sand, loam, and clay; the latter prevails most.
The village of Walthamstow extends over a considerable tract of ground; there are but few houses near the church, which stands about six miles from Shoreditch; the greater number lie in the following hamlets or streets: Wood-street, Clay-street, Marshstreet, Hoo-street, Hale-end (fn. 3), Chapel-end, &c.
The manor of Walthamstow was, in the reign of Edward the Confessor, the property of Waltheof Earl of Northumberland (fn. 4); whose daughter and coheir Alice Judith brought it, in marriage, to Ralph de Toeni or Toni, son of Ralph de Toni, who was standardbearer to William the Conqueror. It continued for several generations in his descendants; some of whom made a conspicuous figure in the civil wars, during the reign of King John, and of his successor Henry III. The family became extinct in Robert de Toni, who died in 1309, without issue; when the inheritance of the manor of Walthamstow (which must now be called Walthamstow Tony, for about this time a portion of the estate seems to have been granted away, and to have formed another manor, called Low Hall, or Walthamstow Bedyk) went to his sister Alice, (relict of Thomas de Leybourne (fn. 5),) afterwards married to Guy de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick (fn. 6). After the Earl's death, she married William le Zouch, who survived her, and held this manor till his own death, in 1337 (fn. 7); when the inheritance devolved upon Thomas Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick (fn. 8) (son of Guy, by Alice above mentioned). On the attainder of Thomas, the succeeding Earl, who was beheaded in 1396, his estates were forfeited, and the manor of Walthamstow Tony was granted to William Scroop, Earl of Wiltshire (fn. 9). Upon the accession of Henry IV. the Earl of Wiltshire was attainted; and the Earl of Warwick's son, having been restored to his honors and estates, died seised of this manor in 1401 (fn. 10). Henry Duke of Warwick, who died in 1445, left an only daughter Anne (an infant); who surviving him only four years (fn. 11), his estates were divided between his two sisters, Eleanor and Anne. Eleanor, to whose share the manor of Walthamstow Tony sell, married, first, Thomas Lord Roos, and afterwards, Edmund Duke of Somerset. She died in 1467 (fn. 12). From her this manor descended to Elizabeth, daughter and heir of the Earl of Rutland; who having married Sir William Cecil, son and heir of the Earl of Exeter, died seised of it in 1591, leaving William Cecil, Lord Roos, her son and heir (fn. 13). He died in 1618, without issue, having, in 1609, obtained a confirmation of this manor (fn. 14), which seems to have gone afterwards to his widow, (Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Thomas Lake,) and her family; for it appears, that in 1640, Sir George Rodney, who had been some time in possession of the manor of Walthamstow Tony, obtained the king's pardon for having purchased it, without a licence, of Sir Arthur Lake (fn. 15). The year preceding the date of this pardon, Sir George Rodney had sold the estate to William Lord Maynard (fn. 16); in whose family it still continues, being now the property of the Rt. Hon. Charles Viscount Maynard.
The reversion of the manor of Walthamstow Bedyk, or Low Hall, after the death of Maud, widow of Simon Francis, (from whom it was called also the manor of Walthamstow Francis,) was purchased by Thomas Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, who was before possessed of the other manor (fn. 17). They remained in the same hands till the death of Anne Beauchamp before mentioned (fn. 18); when Walthamstow Francis fell to the share of Anne, sister of the Duke of Warwick, and wife of Richard Nevil, Earl of Salisbury, who enjoyed also, in her right, the title of Earl of Warwick. After the battle of Barnet, in which this Earl fell, all his estates were seized by the crown; and this manor was granted to John Hugford, who died seised of it in 1485 (fn. 19). Being then vested in the crown, a lease of it was granted, anno 1521, for 21 years, to John Jenyns (fn. 20). In 1528, it was granted to John Limsey (fn. 21), and his heirs male; and, in 1541, to Sir Ralph Sadler, in see (fn. 22). I suppose it was this estate (and not Walthamstow Tony) which Sir Ralph Sadler surrendered to the King in 1546 (fn. 23). In 1550, it was held by Ralph Saunders and Laurence Wennington, in free socage (fn. 24). In 1553, it was granted to Thomas Argall (fn. 25), whose descendants enjoyed it for several generations (fn. 26). The heiress of this family married John Greene, Esq. of Dover-street, who died in 1718 (fn. 27). It was purchased of his representatives, in 1741, by Samuel Bosanquet, Esq. (fn. 28), father of Samuel Bosanquet, Esq. the present proprietor.
The manor of Hecham, since called Higham Bensted, or Higham Hills, was, in the reign of Edward the Confessor, the property of Haldan, a freeman: when the survey of Doomsday (fn. 29) was taken, it belonged to Peter de Valoines; whose grandaughter Lora brought it, in marriage, to Alexander de Baliol (fn. 30); of whom it was purchased by John de Bensted, a Justice of the Common Pleas, and a Baron of the realm in the reign of Edward II. (fn. 31) It continued in the same family till 1494 (fn. 32); when it was sold by Helen Bensted to John Ryshe and others (fn. 33). Sir Thomas Lovell held a court for it that year (fn. 34). Being soon afterwards vested in the crown, it was leased to Sir John Heron, who died in 1521 (fn. 35). His son Sir Giles being attainted of high-treason, the lease reverted to the crown. In 1555, the manor, which, on Giles Heron's attainder, had been leased to Cuthbert Hutton, was granted, in fee, to Thomas Heron (fn. 36), (grandson of Sir John,) who, in 1566, aliened it to Thomas Rowe, Esq. (fn. 37) After continuing in the family of Rowe for seven descents, it was sold, in 1758, by William Rowe, Gent. (fn. 38), to Richard Newman, Esq.; who, in 1764, aliened it to Anthony Bacon, Esq. There having been various money transactions between Mr. Bacon and Mr. John Biggin, this manor at length became vested in Mrs. Eleanor Biggin, widow, and was by her put up to auction, in the month of December 1785. The purchaser was William Hornby, Esq. governor of Bombay; who, in December 1790, sold it to the present proprietor, John Harman, Esq.
The mansion-house belonging to this estate was rebuilt by Mr. Bacon. It stands at the northern extremity of the parish, near Woodford Wells, and commands a very fine prospect of the river Thames, and of the country towards Kent. The premises have been much improved, both by Governor Hornby, and by the present proprietor.
The manor of Salisbury-hall in this parish was, in 1442, the property of Sir William Tirwhit (fn. 39); from him it descended to Sir Thomas Tirwhit, who held it under Margaret Countess of Salisbury, and died in 1522 (fn. 40). In 1558, Queen Mary granted this manor (described as formerly parcel of the possessions of Robert Tirwhit, and leased by Henry VIII. anno 1543, to Richard Johnson) to Sir Thomas White (fn. 41) and others. It reverted to the crown, and was granted by Queen Elizabeth, in 1590, to Robert Symons (fn. 42), who died in 1623, and was succeeded by his son Thomas (fn. 43). In 1667, it was the property of Richard Edge, Esq. (fn. 44); from whom it descended to James Edge, who bequeathed it to Richard Sheldon, merchant; on whose decease without issue, it devolved on Rice Fellowe, Esq.; who by his will, bearing date 1761, bequeathed it to his cousin George Dickerdine, then a minor, who assumed the name of Rice Fellowe, and, in 1778, sold this manor to William Cooke, Esq. It is now the property of his sister Mrs. Hannah Cooke of Woodford. In the court-book this manor is styled Walthamstow Sarum, alias Salisbury-hall.
The manor-house (now only a farm) stands about a mile and a half north of the church, in a lane leading from Clay-street to Chingford. In cr adjoining to the old mansion was a chapel, dedicated to St. Edward the Confessor; in which was a chantry, founded by Sir William Tirwhit in 1442 (fn. 45). That part of the parish is still called Chapel-end.
In the year 1387, Sir Richard Stury and others granted to Robert Dudley and others an estate, described as the manor of Wolkhamsted in Essex (fn. 46); by which name this parish is called in some records.
Edmund Duke of Somerset purchased a house and lands in Walthamstow of William Barton, anno 1453 (fn. 47).
Thomas Tasker, who died in 1605, left to his wife Susan a capital messuage in Walthamstow called Butler's-place, late in the occupation of Sir Richard Baker, and before in that of Sir Roger Wilbraham (fn. 48). Sir Thomas Baker, son of Sir Richard, died seised of a house in Walthamstow, in 1625 (fn. 49).
The parish-church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is a brick structure, consisting of a chancel, nave, and two aisles. At the west end is a square tower, which was rebuilt by Sir George Monox; who built also the chapel at the east end of the north aisle, about the year 1535 (fn. 50). The south aisle was built about the same year, with a part of some monies left to charitable uses by Robert Thorne, merchant-taylor, and citizen of London (fn. 51). It does not appear that he was connected with this parish, but Paul Withipol, proprietor of the rectory manor, was his executor.
In Monox's chapel (at the east end of the north aisle) are the monuments of William Rowe, Esq. (fn. 52) (son of Sir Thomas,) 1596; Capt. John Bonnell, 1703; Mary, his wife, (daughter of John Morice, Esq. and grandaughter of Sir William Morice, Secretary of State to Charles II.) 1691; Margaret, second wife of John Bonnell (fn. 53), (daughter and heir of William Waterson, Esq.) 1736; Sarah, their only daughter, 1766; James Bonnell, Esq. 1774; and Catherine, daughter of Joshua Marshall, Esq. (then proprietor of the chapel (fn. 54),) 1737. On the floor are memorials of Grace, wife of Ambrose Austalle, 1598; Anne, wife of Mr. Edward Darell, daughter of John Pyott, Esq. 1684; Benjamin, son of Sir William Batten, Knt. Surveyor of the Navy to Charles II. 1684; Mr. Archer Martin of the island of Jamaica, merchant, 1707; Elizabeth Atkyns, grandaughter of Capt. John Bonnell, 1711; Sir William Coles, some time sheriff of London, 1717; Elizabeth, wife of William Coles, Esq. his grandson, 1733; and Richard Solly, merchant, 1729. When Mr. Holman took his notes in 1719, there were memorials also for Thomas Browne, Esq. (fn. 55), 1582; and Paul Darby, citizen and cloth-worker, 1699 (fn. 56). In the vestry adjoining to this chapel is a monument in memory of Daniel Finch, Esq. (fn. 57), 1748; and William Finch, Esq. 1758.
On the north side of the chapel, under the arch which divides it from the chancel, is the tomb of Sir George Monox, the founder, (some time Lord Mayor of London,) and Anne, his wife. The figures of the deceased in brass are fixed in the wall, over the tomb; but the plate which contained the inscription has been removed. Sir George Monox died in 1543, his wife in 1500. Under the next arch is the monument of Lady Lucy, daughter and one of the coheirs of Thomas Earl of Northumberland, and wife of Sir Edward Stanley, K. B. (fn. 58), only surviving son of Sir Thomas Stanley (second son of Edward Earl of Derby) by Margaret, daughter and coheir of Sir George Vernon of Haddon in the county of Derby. The date of her death is not mentioned (fn. 59). She lies buried under this monument, together with four daughters, who died in their infancy. Three daughters survived her; Petronella, who died unmarried; Frances, married to John Fortescue, Esq. of Salden, Bucks; and Venetia, married to Sir Kenelm Digby the elder. The effigies of Lady Lucy Stanley is represented as large as the life, (with a viscountess's coronet,) kneeling under an open arch. On the east wall of the chancel is the monument of Mary, wife of Sir Thomas Merry (fn. 60), who died in 1632. It is ornamented with busts in white marble of the deceased and her husband: underneath are four of their children in alto relievo. On the south wall is the monument of Parnel Nevil, Esq. 1755; and on the north wall that of Anne, his wife (fn. 61), 1776. On the floor are brass plates in memory of Henry Crane, vicar, 1437; and Mrs. Hale, daughter of—Porter, 1588: and the tombs of William Pierse, Bishop of Bath and Wells (fn. 62), 1670; and Mrs. Martha Ellis, sister of Anne Nevil, 1779. There was formerly a brass plate in memory of William Hyll, vicar, 1487 (fn. 63).
In the chapel, at the end of the south aisle (fn. 64), is a brass tablet, (fixed against the north wall,) with the effigies of the deceased in his pulpit, to the memory of George Johnson, minister of the Gospel, 1576; and the monuments of Tristram Conyers, Esq. 1620; William Conyers, Esq. serjeant at law, his nephew (fn. 65), 1659; Tristram Conyers (fn. 66), Esq. (son of William,) 1684; Winifred, his wife, daughter of Sir Gilbert Gerard, Bart. 1694; John Conyers, Esq. (fn. 67), (son of Tristram,) 1724; Maria, his wife, (daughter and sole heir of Sir George Lee of Shropshire, by Cecilia, daughter and sole heir of Robert Goodwin, Esq. of Sussex,) 1701; Sir Gerard Conyers, Knt. Lord Mayor of London (fn. 68), 1737; Anne, his wife, daughter of Sir Christopher Lethieullier, 1728; Anne, wife of John Wainwright (fn. 69), and daughter of Edmund Clarke, 1717; Edmund Clarke, Esq. 1721; Thomas Clarke, Esq. 1746; Martha, wife of William Bridges, Esq. (fn. 70), and daughter of Edmund Clarke, 1723. On the floor is a brass plate in memory of Margery, wife of Bryan Nycolles, and daughter of Marmaduke Fairbarne of Darlington, 1561; and the tombs of William James, Gent. 1634; Elizabeth Alwyn, 1653; her daughter Anne, wife of Thomas Westley, canon residentiary of Wells, 1659; Mary, (daughter of Elizabeth Alwyn, and relict of Bishop Pierse,) 1679; and Mr. Richard Terrill, 1755.
In the north aisle are the monuments of Henry Birkenhead, 1656; John Braint, Gent. (fn. 71), 1728; Mary, his wife, daughter of Edward Stourton, Gent. 1729; Edward Mores, Gent. (fn. 72), of Great Coxwell, Berks, 1740; Anne, his wife, daughter of Robert Rowe, Esq. (eldest surviving son of Sir William Rowe of Higham Hill,) 1724; Martha, wife of James Cunningham (fn. 73), and daughter of Sir John Rush of Streatly, Berks, 1754; William Monke, M. D. 1765; James Monke, Esq. 1766; William Monke, Esq. 1775; Mr. John Bennett, 1791, and James Bennett, Esq. 1791. On the floor are the tombs of Susan, wife of Francis Sams, and daughter of Edward Palmer of Lambourn in Essex, Esq. 1715; Charles Dumbleton, Esq. 1771; and Charles Gough, Esq. 1774.
In the nave are monuments in memory of Charles Maynard, Esq. (fn. 74), (eldest son of Charles Maynard, Esq. (fn. 75), auditor of the Exchequer, by Mary, daughter of Zeger Corselis of London, merchant,) 1665; Sir William Maynard, Bart. his third son, 1685; Henry Maynard, Esq. (fn. 76), his fourth son, 1686; Edward Hillersdon (fn. 77), merchant, youngest son of the Rev. John Hillersdon, archdeacon of Buckinghamshire, &c. (by Mary, daughter of William Johnson, Esq. of Oulney,) 1713; Mary, his wife, (daughter of William Church,) 1740; William Nutt, Esq. (fn. 78), 1718; Dorothy, his wife, daughter of Ralph Hawkins, 1725; Mr. Thomas Sharp (fn. 79), 1747; and William Cooke, Esq. (fn. 80), 1792. On the floor are the tombs of John Johnson, citizen and merchant-taylor of London, 1650; Capt. Robert Cowley, 1694; John Whitchurch, 1699; Mrs. Penelope Wakelin, 1715; Thomas Pratt, Esq. 1756; and Mrs. Lydia Marriott, 1777.
At the west end of the south aisle is the monument of Sigismond Trafford, Esq. (fn. 81) of Dunton-hall, Lincolnshire, 1723, and his wife Susannah, 1689 (with the effigies of the deceased as large as the life, in white marble). In the same aisle are the monuments of Anthony Lowther, Esq. (fn. 82) of Maske, 1692; William Walker, Esq. (fn. 83), Principal of Clifford's-Inn, 1720; Jeremiah Wakelin, 1736; Josiah Wakelin, 1740; and John Coant Wakelin, 1787. On the floor are the tombs of Peter Lennards, Gent. 1647; Margaret, wife of John Trafford, Esq. 1665; Edmund Trafford the younger, 1681; Jeremiah Stokes, 1708; and William Bonner, Esq. son of the Hon. Dr. John Bonner of Jamaica, 1714.
Against the east wall of the chancel, on the outside, is the monument of Matthew Tate, B. A. fellow of King's College, Cambridge, master of Walthamstow school, and only son of the Rev. Matthew Tate, vicar of Burnham, Bucks, 1720. In the churchyard are the tombs of Ralph Hawkins, citizen of London, 1696; Francis Coleman, Gent. 1702 (he lived with his wife Hester 47 years, and had 18 children, 25 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild); Thomas Wise, citizen of London, 1710; Thomas Turner, Gent. (fn. 84), 1714; Benjamin Poole, Esq. (fn. 85), 1714; Thomas Blettsoe, merchant, 1715; Mary, wife of James Browne, and daughter of Richard Atkyns, 1717; Thomas Marsden, citizen and draper, 1719; Elizabeth, his daughter, wife of Stephen Gilly, 1736; Edward Mayhew, citizen of London, 1724; John Mayhew, 1726; Thomas Thompson, his son-in-law, 1726; Sarah, his daughter, wife of William Brock, 1729; Richard Chace, Esq. 1725; Mary, relict of Matthew Humberstone of Lincolnshire, 1727; Thomas Johnson, Esq. (eldest son of Sir John Johnson, Knt.) 1729; Lady Ursula, his wife, daughter of Thomas Earl of Plymouth, 1737; Mr. Samuel Huntly, 1733; Thomas Hide, Esq. 1733; Richard Hide, Esq. 1758; Lascoe Hide, Esq. 1769; Mr. John Rigg, 1734; Jane, wife of John Rigg, Esq. 1776; John Wilmer, Gent. 1737; Rebecca, wife of Robert Walter, citizen of London, 1738; Mrs. Elizabeth Twynam, 1750; Peter Lefebure, Esq. 1751; Peter Flower, son-in-law of John Braint, 1752; Sarah, wife of John Dupree, Esq. 1757; Jane Mary, his second wife, and relict, 1792; Edward Wickstead of London, bookseller, 1758; Capt. Robert Deas, 1762; Thomas Manby, Esq. 1762; Richard Manby, Esq. 1769; Mr. George Crossby, 1764; George Crossby, Esq. 1789; Isabel, his daughter, wife of William Manby, Esq. 1790; Joseph Guinand, Esq. 1764; Sir Thomas Challenor, Knt. 1766; Dame Mary Challenor, 1769; Mr. Stephen Beuzeville, 1775; Thomas Sims, Esq. 1782; William Briscoe, 1777; Mary, wife of Robert Briscoe, 1794; Mrs. Mary Wigram, 1777; Mrs. Catherine Wigram, 1786; Sarah, wife of the Rev. William Bowra, curate, 1778; John Stamp, Esq. goldsmith, 1780; William Richards, Gent. 1781; John Hills, Esq. 1781; Mrs. Isabella Lewis, aged 92, 1785; Stracy Till, Esq. 1785; John Jamet, merchant, 1787; Alice, wife of Ralph Fressilicque, Gent. 1789; Nathaniel Free, Esq. 1789; Clara, wife of John Free, Esq. 1794; Lewis Mestayer, Esq. Lieut. Col. and chief engineer for the East India Company at Bengal, 1791; and William Pooley, Esq. 1792.
Strype mentions the tombs of Capt. William Moulton, 1695; Dinah Beal, widow, 1703; Anne, daughter of Robert Gurnet, and wife, 1. of John Williamson, 2. of Henry Gries, and 3. of Richard Collard. She died in 1663, having lived a widow 35 years (fn. 86).
Ralph de Toni gave a moiety of the tithes of this parish to the abbey of Conches in Normandy. Alice, his widow, in 1108, gave the other moiety to the prior and canons of the Holy Trinity in London; who, having purchased of the abbot and convent of Conches their portion, obtained a confirmation of the whole in the year 1200 (fn. 87). About this time the vicarage was endowed with all the small tithes (fn. 88). In 1545, the great tithes, with the manor of the rectory, and the advowson of the vicarage, (then on lease to George Monox,) were granted in fee to Paul and Edmund Withipol (fn. 89). In 1600, Edmund Withipol (fn. 90) sold the whole to Sir Reginald Argall (fn. 91). The rectorial manor, the great tithes, and the advowson of the vicarage, were afterwards separated.
John Argall sold the reversion of the rectorial manor (after the death of Dame Anne Argall, widow of Sir Reginald) to John Darell, Esq. and Catherine, his wife; whose daughter and heir Elizabeth married Richard Cooper, Esq. (fn. 92) Richard Cooper the younger, by his will, bearing date 1690, left the reversion of it, after the death of his sister Elizabeth, to Sir Thomas Fanshaw of Jenkins, his cousin, with remainder to John Fanshaw, Esq. brother of Sir Thomas. In the year 1730, this manor being vested in Thomas Fanshaw, Esq. of Parsloes, he sold it to John Fell, merchant, in whose family it continued till 1783; when it was conveyed by Joseph Fell the elder and Joseph Fell the younger to William Cooke, Esq. Mr. Cooke, by his will, bearing date 1791, directed it to be sold, and vested it, for that purpose, in trustees; who, in 1794, conveyed it to Stephen Wilson, since a bankrupt. It is now about to be sold by his assignees.
The great tithes continued in the Argall family till 1663, when they were conveyed by Thomas Argall, Esq. to Robert Shipman, who left them, by will, to his wife Dorothy: from her they passed, in 1667, to John Mascall, merchant; whose descendant having, in the year 1733, married Anne Asgyll, they devolved, (in consequence of settlements then made,) on failure of issue from the said parties, to Arthur Asgyll, (brother of Anne,) whose only daughter and heir married Alexander Master, Esq. and, (the sole right and disposition of this estate being vested in herself,) about the year 1785, bequeathed the said great tithes to the Rev. Joseph Cuthbert, who is the present proprietor.
John Argall, Esq. brother of Sir Reginald above mentioned, sold the advowson of the vicarage to Henry King, Bishop of Chichester, whose son Henry left two daughters, coheirs, married to Edmund Wyndham and Isaac Houblon; who sold this advowson, about the year 1690, to John Conyers, Esq. (fn. 93) It is now vested in his descendant John Conyers, Esq. of Copt-hall.
The vicarage of Walthamstow is in the diocese of London, and in the deanery of Barking. It is valued in the King's books at 15l. per annum. The commissioners appointed to inquire into the state of ecclesiastical benefices, in 1650, found by their inquest, that the vicarage of Walthamstow was worth 40l. per annum, including the tithes and glebe. John Wood was then vicar; he had been put in by the committee of plundered ministers; but (says the inquest) "he is now questioned for his abilities; and certain articles have been exhibited against him to the committee, and he is disliked by the greater part of the inhabitants, who will not come to church to hear him; whereby there is great distraction in the parish." The jurors report, that it was not known in whom the patronage of the vicarage was vested, it having been long in suit, and then as yet undetermined (fn. 94). Henry Maynard, Esq. who died in 1686, left the sum of 400l. to buy land (now 34l. 8s. 10d. per ann.) for the vicar, on consideration of his preaching on Sunday afternoons, on St. Thomas's day, and on the anniversary of the donor's death, when his will is to be read in the church. Mrs. Elizabeth Cooper, by her will, bearing date 1708, gave the sum of 200l. to buy lands for the vicar, which were purchased accordingly, and now produce 6l. 6s. per annum.
Thomas Cartwright, afterwards Bishop of Chester, was vicar of Walthamstow from 1658 till 1662 (fn. 95). He was presented by Thomas Millington, Esq. (fn. 96), on the death of John Pigot, who is called in the parish register a learned and pious divine. Edward Sparke (fn. 97) succeeded Bishop Cartwright, and held the vicarage till 1666.
Edward Chishull, instituted to this vicarage in 1708, was a learned antiquary and divine. He enjoyed the travelling fellowship at Corpus Christi College in Oxford, and, being appointed chaplain to the factory at Smyrna, he resided there between three and four years (fn. 98). His travels in Turkey were published by Dr. Mead, anno 1747. Mr. Chishull himself published an account of the antiquities of Asia before the Christian æra, and wrote with success against Dodwell. Several of his sermons are in print. He died in 1733.
George Monox founded a chantry in Walthamstow church; the revenues of which, at its suppression, in 1547, were valued at 6l. 13s. 4d. per annum (fn. 99).
In the year 1536, Archbishop Cranmer granted a licence to George Monox, Alderman of London, and his son Thomas, to have the sacrament administered in the chapel, or oratory, in his house called Moones, near Higham-hill; and that the wife of the said Thomas should be churched there (fn. 100).
About the year 1740, a meeting-house for Protestant diffenters was established at this place, principally at the expence of Mr. Coward; who placed there, as minister, Mr. Hugh Farmer, a man of considerable eminence. In 1787, some disputes among the congregation occasioned the building of a new meeting-house; which was opened in the month of July that year (fn. 101). It is larger than the old meeting-house; and has a cemetery adjoining.
|Average of Baptisms.||Average of Burials.|
|1690–9||33 7/10||40 1/5|
|1780–4||64 1/5||75 3/5|
|1784–9||81 1/5||76 3/5|
|1790–4||73 3/5||74 4/5|
In the chantry-roll for Essex, (anno 1547,) Walthamstow is said to be a great town; having in it 360 houseling people (fn. 102).
According to the return of the King's surveyor of houses and windows, in 1762, there were then 301 houses in this parish; of which 204 were taxable, 97 cottages. The present number of houses is 386, exclusive of two sets of alms-houses, containing 20 apartments.
"Sr William Batten and Mrs Elizabeth Woodcock, married in St John's church, London, Feb. 3, 1658–9. Sr William Batten, buried Oct. 12, 1667." He was Surveyor of the Navy to Charles II. (fn. 103)
"Dame Elizabeth Rowe, buried Dec. 30, 1669." Widow of Sir William Rowe of Higham-hill; of whose burial I find no entry. He had taken so active a part against the Royal cause, as to occasion his commitment to prison, soon after the Restoration (fn. 104). His cousin, Col. Rowe of Hackney, was one of the regicides; and died during his imprisonment in the Tower (fn. 105). "Mary, daughter of Sr William Rowe, and wife of Mr William Heydon, buried from Highamhills, June 6, 1673."
May 19, 1670; then was buried the Right Revd Father in God William Ld Bishop of Bath and Wells, the oldest Bishop in Christendom, either in respect of age, or else of consecration, being 94 years old." Bishop Pierse, having been canon of Christ's Church in Oxford, was made Bishop of Peterborough in 1630, and translated to Bath and Wells in 1632 (fn. 106). He was a zealous loyalist during the civil war, and suffered much persecution. In the latter part of his life he resided at Walthamstow (fn. 107).
Dec. 11, 1674, was buried a child of Mr. Claypooles, son-in-law to Oliver Cromwell, This child was not by Cromwell's daughter, but by Mr. Claypoole's second wife, who was buried at Walthamstow, Oct. 10, 1692.
The Lady Smith (fn. 108), from Upton, buried May 8, 1712."
Sr William Maynard, Bart, buried Jan. 2, 1715–6; Dame Mary Maynard, Feb. 20, 1716–7; William, son of Sr Henry Maynard, baptized May 3, 1721; Sr Henry Maynard, buried Nov. 24, 1738." There are other entries relating to the Maynard family.
"Dame Anne, wife of Sr Gerard Conyers, Alderman of London, buried Dec. 24, 1729; Sr Gerard Conyers, Knt and Alderman, Aug. 3, 1737; the Hon. Matilda Conyers (fn. 109), wife of Edward Conyers, Esq. May 20, 1741." There are several other entries relating to the Conyers family; who resided many years at Walthamstow, in a mansion built by Tristram Conyers, who died in 1620. It was lately the property of Thomas Grosvenor, Esq. and now of William Selwyn, Esq. by whom it has been new fronted.
Edward Rowe Mores from Leyton, buried Dec. 8, 1778." Mr. Mores was descended, by the mother's side, from the family of Rowe of Higham-hill in this parish. He was born, about the year 1729, at Tunstall in Kent; where his father was rector many years. He received his education at Merchant-Taylors' school, and at Queen's College in Oxford, being intended for holy orders. He distinguished himself as a scholar and an antiquary, by publishing, before he left the university, (being then not 20 years of age,) a list of the knights and barons who fought under Edward I. In 1753, he took the degree of M. A. In 1760, he retired to Low Leyton; where he built a whimsical house, (now called Etloe-place, in the occupation of Mr. Clementson,) which became his principal residence. In 1762, he took an active part in establishing a society for assurance of lives and survivorships; (the plan of which was formed some years ago by Mr. Dodson of Christ's Hospital). At its first institution Mr. Mores was made perpetual director, with a salary of 100l. per annum; but, in 1768, he resigned his office, in consequence of some dispute with the members. This establishment still subsists in a very flourishing state: it is now called the Equitable Society for Assurance on Lives, &c. in Bridge-street, Blackfriars. Mr. Mores died on the 28th of November 1778. His publications were few, but his collections made with a view to publication very ample. A history of his native parish, (Tunstall,) which he left ready for the press, has been published since his death by Mr. Nichols. His collections for a history of Berkshire, of Godstow nunnery, &c. with several plates, engraved at his expence, are now in the library of Richard Gough, Esq. at Enfield. His collections relating to All Souls College in Oxford, and the city of Salisbury, three volumes of extracts from wills in the Prerogative-office, and extracts from the registry of the see of Canterbury, are in the library of Thomas Astle, Esq. at Battersea Rise. They were purchased at the sale of his books and MSS. in August 1779 (fn. 110).
The Rt Hon. James Maitland, commonly called Ld Visct. Maitland, and Eleanor Todd (fn. 111), married Aug. 15, 1782; Anthony, second son of Ld Visct Maitland (now Earl of Lauderdale) and Eleanor, born June 10, 1785; Mary, their daughter, Jany 4, 1788; John, Mar. 5, 1789; Julian Jane, Oct. 10, 1791; Charlotte, Oct. 10, 1792; Charles, Nov. 8, 1793."
The Revd Hugh Farmer, buried Feb. 17, 1787." A learned writer among the presbyterian dissenters. He was minister of a congregation at Walthamstow more than forty years. His principal work was a differtation on miracles; he published also several sermons, and was frequently engaged in controversial writings, particularly with Dr. Worthington, whom he opposed in his opinions concerning the scripture demoniacs. Mr. Farmer was born at a village near Shrewsbury, in the year 1714 (fn. 112).
Anne Scott, widow, aged 99, buried from the alms-row, July 12, 1675; Thomas Pyle, aged 95, from the alms-row, July 23, 1675; Anthony Thipthap, aged 96, Feb. 22, 1705–6; Laurence Carver, alms-man, 95, Apl 26, 1713; Jane Herbert, spinster, 94, Dec. 17, 1717; Mrs Dorothy Hawkins, widow, 90, Sep. 7, 1719; Mrs Elizabeth Trafford, spinster, 96, Nov. 27, 1732; Anne Seville, widow, 107, Apl 26, 1741; Mary Bishop, said to be aged 109, Ap. 13, 1776; Elizabeth Edwards, 90, June 13, 1782; Elizabeth Godfrey, 90, Apl 14, 1787; Jane Webber, near 100, Jan. 31, 1789; Mary Airey Gutterson, 97, Jan. 26, 1792; John Godfrey, 91, Nov. 21, 1793; Sarah Bridgman, 91, May 13, 1794."
George Gascoigne, a celebrated poet in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, is supposed to have been a native of Walthamstow. He was bred to the law, but disliking that profession, he quitted it for the army, and signalized himself much in foreign countries: at length, returning to England, he settled upon his patrimony at this place; where, according to Wood and Coxeter, he died and was buried; but there is some reason to doubt both (fn. 113). He published several poems and dramatic pieces (fn. 114). To one of his works, "the Steel Glass, a Satire," is prefixed his portrait in armour; on his right hand hangs a musket, and at his left hand is placed an inkhorn; beneath is this motto, "Tam Marti quam Mercurio."
George Monox, Alderman of London, built 13 alms-houses on the north side of the churchyard, for eight men and five women, with a school-house and apartments for a master. By his will he bequeathed certain rent-charges, issuing out of houses in Fenchurchstreet and Mark-lane, and amounting all together to the sum of 42l. 17s. 4d. to be thus appropriated: 6l. 13s. 4d. as a salary for the school-master; 7s. 7d. a week to each of the pensioners; 5l. for coals; 1l. 6s. 8d. to the parish clerk, and 5l. 13s. 4d. for a commemoration of his death; the remainder to go towards the repair of the alms-houses, school, and the north aisle of the church, and chancel. Edward, son of Roger Alford, who was one of Monox's executors, settled a rent-charge of 9l. per annum on the alms-houses. Henry Maynard, Esq. who died in 1686, gave the sum of 200l. to buy lands, (which now produce 17l. 9s. 5d. per annum,) appropriating the rent to the school-master, on condition of his teaching eight poor boys, to be appointed by his representatives, and reading prayers every Sunday in the church (fn. 115). He gave also the sum of 300l. to buy lands (now let at 26l. 4s. 5d.) for the poor in Monox's alms-houses; and 50l. to be laid out in lands, (now let at 4l. 7s. 4d.); out of which 10s. is to be given to the clerk, and the remainder to the parish officers (fn. 116).
The number of boys in the school is 30; who are clothed and educated, the endowments above mentioned being aided by collections at an annual sermon; out of which also 20 girls are clothed and educated. The girls' school was established about the year 1780.
There is a school also for very young children, in which about 30 are taken care of, till of an age to be admitted into the other schools; and there is a Sunday-school, in which there are between 60 and 70 children.
Mrs. Mary Squires, in the year 1795, built six alms-houses for widows of decayed tradesmen of the church of England, and of the parish of Walthamstow. The founder, who is still living, gives a pension of 4l. per annum and six sacks of coals to each of the almswomen, and has declared her intention of augmenting the pensions at her death.
|Date.||Donors Names.||How vested, and the present Value.||Use.|
|1487.||William Hill, vicar,||An acre of land, let at 1l. 6s.||Repair of the church.|
|1585.||Robert Rampston,||Rent-charge of 2l. per ann.||Poor.|
|1609.||Tho.Colby,alms-priest,||His whole fortune, laid out in lands, anno 1635, then 7l. per ann. now 17l.||Poor, on St. Thomas's day.|
|1623.||William Conyers, Esq.||Rent-charge of 7l. 10s. per ann.||Bread.|
|1625.||Richard Garnet,||Rent-charge of 3l. per ann.||Bread.|
|1642.||Thomas Gamul,||Land, now 4l. 13s. per ann.||Bread.|
|1650.||——||16 acres of land were purchased with various small donations, then 5l. per ann. now 27l. 14s.||Poor.|
|1674.||Edward Corby,||Houses and land, now 6l. 10s. per ann.||Sermon, and dinner, 2l. 15s.; remainder to the poor.|
|1714.||Thomas Turner,||130l. to buy land (fn. 117),||Bread.|
|1723.||Sigismund Trafford,||Rent-charge of 10l. per ann.||Bread.|
|1734.||Edmund Wise,||Lands, now 14l. per ann.||Repair of his tomb; remainder to the poor.|
|1753.||Tho. Legendre, Esq.||Interest of 600l. now 564l. 3 percent. red. annu.(16l. 18s. 2d.)||Coals.|
|1757.||Mrs. Cath. Woolball,||Interest of 400l. now 445l. 3 percent. red. annu. (13l. 7s. 2d.)||Poor.|
|1782.||James Holbrook,||By deed, 13l. per ann.||Bread.|
|1783.||Thomas Sims,||100l. 3 per cents.||Repair of his tomb; remainder to the poor.|
Jeremiah Wakelin, in 1735, gave some land to the parish, (now let at 3l. per annum,) on condition that he and his heirs should enjoy for ever a pew and right of burial in Walthamstow church, together with the privilege of erecting a monument; the said rent to be given away on New-year's-day, in meat or bread.