The Environs of London: Volume 4, Counties of Herts, Essex and Kent. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1796.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS (fn. 1) - VOLUME THE FIRST.
Surveys of the manor.
Lessees of the manor.
SINCE the account of this parish was written, some farther particulars have been obtained from the records at St. Paul's, relating to the manor and church. A survey of the manor, made about the year 1200, states the demesne lands at 300 acres of arable, 30 of meadow, and 28 of pasture (fn. 2). Another survey, made in 1245, states the arable land at 344 acres, the meadow at 40 (fn. 3). In the year 1283, there was a Royal mandate that this manor should not be leased to any but members of the church of St. Paul's (fn. 4). About the year 1256, it was leased to Robert de Barton, precentor, for life, subject to the annual payment of three rents in bread and beer; the customary dues to the bakehouse and brewhouse, and forty shillings per annum to the chapter (fn. 5). Several other leases to members of the church are preserved among the records (fn. 6). In the fifteenth century the manor was again leased to laymen, and was successively in the tenure of Sir John Saye, Robert Basset, Nicholas Gaynsford, and Thomas Thwayte (fn. 7), who, in 1505, was succeeded by Henry Wyat. The Wyats had a long lease, which, by assignments, passed through several hands. Sir Andrew Judd was in possession in 1555 (fn. 8); James Altham in 1559 (fn. 9); Thomas Smyth in 1573; and in 1579, Richard Martin, alderman of London, who was succeeded by Sir Francis Walsingham. Edward Ferrers, Esq. (fn. 10), and Catherine his wife, were in possession of the lease in 1628; Richard Gosson in 1633. In 1638, the Dean and Chapter held a court themselves for this manor; the next year they leased the demesnes to John Cartwright, Esq. Sir Richard Hoare, who succeeded the Cartwrights, became lessee in 1750. The reserved rent of this estate is 60l. per annum.
P. 12.—Gerard mentions planting a Phillyrea serratain the garden at Barnelmes belonging to the Right Hon. the Earl of Essex (fn. 13).
P. 15.—Handel resided at Barnelmes soon after he came to England (fn. 14). Vandrebank, the painter, lived there (fn. 15). Jacob Tonson was admitted to a tenement at Barnelmes in 1747 (fn. 16). The Rev Mr. Kidgell lived at Barnes, in a house which has been since in the occupation of Mr. Moody, late of Drury-lane Theatre, and now in that of Bryan Broughton, Esq.
Ralph de Diceto, dean of St. Paul's, granted the church of Barnes to Richard, kinsman of Henry de Northampton, subject to the annual payment of half a mark (fn. 17). About the year 1250, some doubts having arisen relating to the right of presentation to this church, which was said to be a chapel to Wimbledon, and in the gift of the rector of that parish, Archbishop Boniface directed his writ to inquire into the matter (fn. 18); soon after which the Archbishop instituted Richard de St. Alban's, on the presentation of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's (fn. 19).
P. 20.–John Jeffreys, M. A. was instituted to the rectory of Barnes in 1795, on the resignation of his father, John Jeffreys, D. D. Canon Residentiary of St. Paul's.
P. 21.–Katherine, daughter of Sir William Musgrave, who was then in the park, was baptized Oct. 10, 1543.
P. 542.–Sir Philip Sydenham, Bart. had twice represented the county of Somerset in Parliament, and was at the time of his death M. P. for Ilchester. His title then became extinct.
P. 29.—In the Auditor's office of the Land-Revenue in Palaceyard (fn. 20), is a survey of the manor of Battersea and Wandsworth, in the reign of Edward VI. which were then valued at 128l. 2s. 9½d. per annum. Another survey, in the reign of James the First, has an accurate statement of the boundaries, and those of the hamlet of Penge (fn. 21).
P. 38.—Simon Patrick was presented to this vicarage July 29, 1657, on the presentation of Sir Walter St. John (fn. 22).
P. 40, &c.—Extracts from the Register.—" Robert Lord King, and Lady Ann Cavendish, daughter of William Earl of Devonshire, married Apl 9, 1632; Sir John Veale, Knt, buried May 17, 1648; John Lord Leyonberg, and Lady Elizabeth Batten (fn. 23), married Mar. 21, 1670–1; Charles Lord Quarington, son of Lord Litchfield, buried Oct. 13, 1680; Francis, fourth son of the Earl of Litchfield, buried Dec. 24, 1686; Mary, daughter of Henry Earl of Litchfield, Jan 12, 1697–8."
Manor of Wallington.
P. 67.—A lease of the manor of Wallington (for 500 years) was made by Sir Nicholas Carew in 1684, for the purpose of raising a fortune for his younger sons. This lease was assigned, in 1726, by Sir Samuel Lennard, Bart. sole executor of Anne, relict of Nicholas Carew, Esq. and Dorothy Lennard, her residuary legatee, to Mrs. Eliza Bridges; who, by her will, bearing date 1743, bequeathed the unexpired term in trust for the use of her great-nephew——Baldwyn, Esq. and his heirs male, remainder to her great-nephew Samuel Bridges, Esq. and his heirs male, remainder to her great-nephew William Bridges, Esq. who is the present proprietor (fn. 24).
Descent of lands, parcel of the manor of Deptford Strond.
P. 72.—Upon a more attentive examination of Mr. Way's titledeeds, I find that the conveyance from Roger Trapps to John Stone, anno 1622, (under which he claims,) consists only of certain lands, parcel of the manor of Deptford Strond, situate in the parishes of Camberwell and Rotherhithe. These lands, in 1660, were aliened by Stone to Edward Backwell, alderman of London, who, in 1665, conveyed them to John Mellor. Simon Yorke, who married Mellor's grand-daughter, sold them, in 1735, to Lewis Way, Esq. father of Benjamin Way, Esq. the present proprietor. The descent of the manor of Deptford Strond will be shewn in the addition to the Kentish parishes.
P. 75.—There is a scarce print of Thomas Grimes, aliasGraham, of Peckham, poet, æt. 14, by Cross. It is probable that he was a son of Thomas Grimes (fn. 25), Esq. of Peckham, by his wife Jane (Muschamp).
P. 83.—Elizabeth, relict of Sir Thomas Trevor, Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas, was buried at Camberwell, May 29, 1702.
P. 83.—An instance similar to that mentioned in this page occurred, I am told, at Worcester, about the year 1774, when a woman of the name of Ford, living in New-street, was, at the age of 65, delivered of a daughter, who died of the small-pox about five years afterwards. The woman was living in 1784.
P. 85.—Richard Parr, who was instituted to the vicarage of Camberwell, May 29, 1654, on the presentation of Sir Edmund Bowyer (fn. 26), was a native of Cork. He was born in 1617, his mother being then 55 years of age (fn. 27).
P. 85.–George Sandby, M. A. was instituted to this vicarage in the month of January last, on the death of the Rev. Roger Bentley.
P. 119.–The manor of Bredinghurst was purchased by the widow of Roger Hill, Esq. of Denham-place in Buckinghamshire, aunt of William Shard, Esq., the present proprietor (fn. 28).
P. 120, 121.–The whole of the manor of Hatcham, described in these pages, is now in the parish of Deptford St. Paul, but is at the same time wholly in the county of Surrey; yet a survey taken in the reign of Edward VI. describes it as in the parishes of Deptford and Lewisham, and in the counties of Kent and Surrey. It had been leased, anno 30 Hen. VIII. for 41 years, to William Aparrie, and was then in the tenure of Richard Teweson, his assignee (fn. 29).
P. 132, &c.—Extracts from the Register.—"The Ld Thomas "Howard his son, buried July 28, 1577; Cicil, son of Sr Richard Warburton, Knt, baptized August 28, 1604; Henry, son of Sr Henry Burton, Knt of the Honble Order of the Bath, baptized Nov. 12, 1609; Penelope, daughter of Sr John Tunstall, Knt, baptized Oct. 2, 1619."
P. 125.–The plates in Leoni's edition of Alberti's Architecture are elevenin number, there being twoplans of the grand story, twoof the offices, and a general plan of the house and grounds.
P. 135.–William Parkes was instituted to this vicarage in 1654, on the presentation of Charles Burton, Esq. (fn. 30)
P. 135.–Charles Ford, Esq. writing to Dr. Swift, July 31, 1714, says, that Dr. Radcliffe was sent for by an order of council to attend Queen Anne, but that he refused to go, saying that he had taken physic (fn. 31). Dr. Radcliffe himself, in a letter written about the same time, denies his having been sent for by proper authority. It appears that his house at Carshalton became the property of Edward Carlton, Esq., and having been seized by the Crown soon afterwards for a debt, was sold, with certain lands belonging to it, for the sum of 7663l. to John Fellows, Esq., afterwards Sir John Fellows (fn. 32).
P. 138, 139.—In the reign of Edward VI. the lease of the manor of East Cheam was in the tenure of Humphrey Wade, to whom it had been assigned by Thomas Fromounds. The site of West Cheam was leased by Henry VIII. anno 1547, to Ralph Goldsmith for 21 years, at the rent of 100s. (fn. 33)
Manor of Wights.
Among the surveys in the Auditor's office of the Land-Revenue, in the reign of Edward VI., is one of an estate in this parish called the manor of Wights, valued at 14l. 11s. 6d. per annum, the site of it was then in the tenure of Thomas Saunder, who was the lessee of John Legh.
Monuments of the Pybus family.
P. 146.—Since the first volume of this work was published, two handsome monuments have been put up in the church of Cheam for the Pybus family; the one in memory of John Pybus, Esq. (fn. 34), only son of the late Captain Bryan Pybus of Dover, (descended from an ancient family seated at Thirsk in Yorkshire,) who was sent on an embassy to the King of Ceylon in 1762, being the first Englishman received in a public character at that Prince's court. Mr. Pybus was afterwards chief of Masulapatam in the East Indies. He died at his house at Cheam in 1789, leaving two sons, John Pybus, Esq., and Charles Small Pybus, Esq. M. P. for Dover, and one of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty. The other monument is for Anne, daughter of the aforesaid John Pybus, deceased, and widow of Brigadier General Sir Robert Fletcher (fn. 35), who was commander in chief of the British forces on the coast of Coromandel, and died at the Mauritius, on his return to England, in 1777. Lady Fletcher died Feb. 16, 1791 (fn. 36).
P. 146.–Lady Yates, who is still living, married to her second husband Dr. John Thomas, late Bishop of Rochester.
P. 158.–In Smith's Obituary (fn. 37), Colonel Pride (an eminent officer in the Parliamentary army, and one of Cromwell's peers) is said to have died at Nonsuch-palace in October 1658; but it is more likely that it was at Worcester-house in Nonsuch Great-park, which house he purchased in 1650 (fn. 38).
Nonsuch-palace and park, Nonsuch Great-park, and Worcesterhouse, were granted, in 1670, to George Viscount Grandison, and Henry Brouncker, Esq. in fee (fn. 39). They were trustees (it is probable) for the Duchess of Cleveland.
P. 160.—Ælfred Duke of Kent, by his will, made before the year 888 (fn. 40), devised thirty hides of land in Clapham to his wife Werburgh, and his daughter Alhdrythe, charging the estate with an annual payment of 200 pence, to the monks of Chertsey, to pray for his soul, and for the promotion of hospitality (fn. 41).
Bartholomew Lord Burghherst, the elder, had a grant, in 1352, of the hundred of Clapham, belonging to the honor of Wallingford, for life (fn. 42).
P. 161.–The manor of Clapham, after the death of Penelope Lady Rivers, which happened in 1795, descended to Richard Bowyer, Esq. youngest brother of Sir William Bowyer, Bart. of Denham-court, and his heirs, under the will of his cousin, Sir Richard Atkins, Bart. Mr. Bowyer has sold his life interest to Samuel Thornton, Esq. of Clapham.
Francis Taylor, vicar.
P. 167.–Francis Taylor, who was instituted to the rectory of Clapham about the year 1635, was one of the Assembly of Divines, and had a considerable share in the annotations which go under their name. He published "The Faith of the Church of England concerning God's Work on Man's Will," and works relating to Jewish Antiquities, and Oriental Criticism, particularly a translation of the Jerusalem Targumon the Pentateuch (fn. 43).
Extracts from the Parish Register.
P. 169.–Baptisms.—"Laurence, son of Sr Francis Tanvill, Jan. 1, 1612–3; Robert, son of Sir William Morley, Sep. 27, 1627; Anne, daughter of Sr John Farwell, May 24, 1628; Charles, May 17, 1630; John, son of Sr Henry Atkins, Oct. 3, 1633; Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Robert Nedham, June 29, 1647."
"Col. George Fenwicke, and Katherine, daughter of the Hon. Sr Arthur Haselrigge, were married by me, John Arthor, rector of Clapham, Nov. 20, 1652."
Burials.—"Grace, wife of Sr Edward Bellingham, June 12, 1629; Sr Henry Atkins, July 19, 1638; Sr Richd Atkins, Bart, Aug. 24, 1689; Sr Henry Atkins, Bart, Aug. 6, 1712; Sr Henry Atkins, Bart, Apl27, 1728; Sr Henry Atkins, Bart, Sep. 9, 1742; Sir Richard Atkins, Bart, (in whom the title became extinct,) June 17, 1756; Sr John Hall, Mar. 24, 1652–3; Sr Peter Daniel, May 13, 1700; Sr Samuel Thompson, Knt. Jan. 10, 1711–2."
P. 171.—Shirley, Combe, and the other hamlets of Croydon, are in some old writings called by the name of boroughs. At Shirley is the seat of John Claxton, Esq. F. A. S. built by his grandfather John Claxton, Esq. in 1721, after a design of his own (fn. 44), on an estate purchased, in 1714, of Thomas Best, citizen and embroiderer of London. This house, which since 1777 has been in Mr. Claxton's own occupation, was in 1733 leased to John Sheldon, Esq. and afterwards to Roger Drake, merchant, whose family resided in it for some years. Mr. Claxton, in 1788, purchased a farm at Shirley, adjoining to his own lands, of William Hayley, Esq. the poet, to whom it came by marriage from the family of Lockington (fn. 45). The soil of the upper part of Shirley heath or common is extremely barren, consisting almost wholly of shingles or loose round pebbles, with a very small intermixture of earth; underneath is a stratumof white sand, in which water is always found at the depth of about twenty feet; this high ground extends into the parish of Addington, where it terminates towards the south-east in steep headlands of very singular appearance.
P. 177.–Ælfred Duke of Kent, by his will, made before the year 888, gave two hides in Whaddon to Æthelwode his son (fn. 46).
P. 188.–The rectory and manor of the rectory of Croydon were granted for a lease of 60 years, in 1530, to Elizabeth Herne or Heron, at the rent of 24l. (fn. 47).
P. 191. The present vicar of Croydon is John Ireland, M. A. instituted in 1793, on the resignation of Dr. Apthorp.
P. 193, &c.—Extracts from the Register.—" Lady Mary Heron, buried the 20th day of April 1578, and her funeral kept the 24th day of April; the Lady Elizabeth Gresham, buried Dec. 12, 1632; Sr Hugh Middelton, Bart, married to Frances Morton, Novr 1650; Sr Hugh Middelton's son, buried June 22, 1655; James March, who pulled the eagle in the church upon him, and cut his hand and bled to death, being about 8 years old, was buried June 11, 1729."
Archbishops of Canterbury buried at Croydon.
P. 194.–Edmund Grindall was made Bishop of London in 1559, translated to York in 1570, and to Canterbury in 1575. John Whit gift, who had been made Bishop of Worcester in 1577, succeeded him in the See of Canterbury in 1583.
P. 196, 197.–Archbishop Abbot was born at Guildford about 1562, and was educated at Baliol College in Oxford. He was promoted to the See of Litchfield and Coventry in 1609, and translated to Canterbury in 1611. The Archbishop was one of those appointed to translate the New Testament. He published an Exposition of the Prophet Jonah, a brief Description of the World, commonly called Abbot's Geography, and some controversial writings against the papists (fn. 48).
Archbishop Sheldon was born in Staffordshire, anno 1598. He was made Warden of All Soul's College in 1635, ejected and imprisoned in 1647, restored in 1660, and the same year made Bishop of London. In 1663, he succeeded Juxon in the See of Canterbury; and in 1667, he was elected Chancellor of the University of Oxford, where the Sheldonian Theatre will be a lasting monument of his munisicence (fn. 49).
Archbishop Wake was born in 1657, at Blandford in Dorsetshire, and received his education at Christ Church College in Oxford. He was made Bishop of Lincoln in 1705, and in 1716 Archbishop of Canterbury. This learned prelate published several works in defence of the doctrines and establishment of the church of England, and of the King's supremacy. There are three volumes also extant of his Sermons, Charges, &c. (fn. 50)
Archbishop Potter was a native of Yorkshire, and a Fellow of Lincoln College in Oxford. He was made Regius Professor of Divinity in 1708, Bishop of Oxford in 1715, and succeeded Wake in the See of Canterbury in 1737. This prelate, who was much distinguished for his learning, particularly for his skill in the Greek language, published an edition of Lycophron, and some other critical works, whilst at the University. Besides his well-known Treatise on the Antiquities of Greece, he was author of a Discourse on Church Government, some Tracts against Hoadly, and various theological works, which were collected into three 8vo. volumes in 1753 (fn. 51).
Archbishop Herring, who had been a much-admired preacher at Lincoln's Inn, distinguished himself in the year 1745 by his speech to the army in the North, being then Archbishop of York. He was made Bishop of Bangor in 1737, translated to York in 1747, and to Canterbury the same year. He published a few sermons preached on public occasions.
P. 198, 199.–The salary of the warden of Whitgift's Hospital is 6l. 13s. 4d. The improvement of the revenues is not from the increase of rents, (which by the founder's statutes are never to be raised,) but by fines at the renewal of leases. There have been several benefactions to the hospital since the founder's death, which are particularised in the note below (fn. 52).
The Archbishop, by one of his statutes, made a reserve of the chambers over the hall, and the two chambers over the inner gatehouse, for his own use. After his decease they were reserved for the use of his executors for one year; at the expiration of which, to his brother George Whitgift for life, and afterwards they were appropriated to the wardens of the hospital for ever. In these rooms, which are very handsomely wainscotted with oak, the Archbishop used to entertain "his entire and honourable friends," as Sir George Paule (fn. 53) calls them, "the Earls of Shrewsbury, Worcester, and Cumberland; the Lord Zouch, the Bishop of London, and others of near place about her Majesty, in whose company he chiefly delighted." The same author observes, "that his chief comfort of repose or solace was in often dining at the hospital among his poor brethren, as he called them." When Boys Sisi the French Ambassador was told, that Archbishop Whitgift had published but few literary works (fn. 54), he is said to have made this reply—" Profectó hospitale ad sublevandam paupertatem et schola ad instruendam juventutem sunt optimi libri quos Archiepiscopus conscribere potuit (fn. 55)."
P. 200.–The date of Mr. Hodgson's appointment to the chaplaincy should be 1774.
P. 199, 200.–Dr. Turner, author of the Herbal, resided at Kew, as appears by his mention of his garden there (fn. 56).
Sir Henry Capel's garden at Kew.
— J. Gibson, in his remarks on several gardens near London (fn. 57), anno 1691, says that Sir Henry Capel's garden at Kew contained as curious greens, and as well kept, as any about London. He particularly mentions two lentiscus, or mastic trees, for which he paid 40l. to Versprit, and four white striped hollies for which he paid 5l. a tree.
P. 207.–Mr. William Airon, mentioned in this page, died on the 1st of February 1793, and was buried in the churchyard at Kew.
Having been for some time an assistant to Philip Miller at Chelsea, Mr. Aiton was pointed out to the Princess Dowager, in 1759, as a proper person to form and arrange a botanical garden (fn. 58). How fully he justified the recommendation, the present state of the exotic grounds at Kew, which he superintended upwards of thirty years, and in which he arranged and cultivated with success the greatest number of plants, perhaps, ever collected in one garden, will evince. In 1783, Mr. Aiton was appointed to the care of the pleasure-grounds and kitchen-garden, when he shewed equal skill in a new department, and proved as successful in the culture of hot-house fruit, as he had been in the management of exotics. There is a portrait of Mr. Aiton in the library at Sir Joseph Banks's in Soho-square, which is a very good likeness. He holds in his hand a plant called, in compliment to him, Aitonia. Mr. Aiton was succeeded in all his appointments by his son Mr. W. Aiton, jun.
P. 209.–Joshua Kirby, Clerk of the Works, was not an architect, but professed the art of perspective, in which, he made considerable improvements. Gainsborough, who was his most intimate friend, was buried near him at his own desire.
P. 210.–Stephen Duck was preacher at Kew chapel (fn. 59). William Foster, mentioned in this page, is D.D. and Fellow of Eton College.
P. 211.–The wooden bridge at Kew was built by John Barnard. The first stone of the present bridge was laid June 4, 1783; and it was opened Sept. 22, 1789 (fn. 60). Mr. James Payne was the architect.
KINGSTON UPON THAMES.
P. 212.—The note of reference to Willis's Notit. Parliamentaria, in this page, should be to "the fifty-seventh of Edward III." The record relating to the petition here mentioned, which I was informed still existed among the archives of the borough, cannot, after much search, be found.
P. 214.—The office of the bailiffs is annual; the present bailiffs (1796) are Mr. Thomas Hemming and Mr. Peter Sidebotham. The other members of the corporation continue the same.
P. 218, note 29.—The charge for notringing when the King went through Kingston was a fine, as appears by the like entries in other parish accounts; in some of which it is stated to be a fine paid to the King's servants.
P. 227.—That Mr. Steevens was right in his conjecture relating to the word buke, appears from the definition of the word bucklein the Glossarium Suicogothicum (fn. 61). Mr. Steevens supposes orseden, in the same page, to be a corruption of arsedine. "Are you puffed up "with the pride of your wares?—your arsedine?" says Joan Trash, a gingerbread woman, to Leatherhead, a vender of hobby-horses, in Ben Johnson's "Bartholomew Fair (fn. 62)." The sticks of these hobbyhorses were painted a most glaring red: arsedineis supposed, therefore, to be a word formed from arsineum, and meaning a flame colour, in the same manner as carnadine, which signifies a flesh colour.
P. 236.—The heirs of John de Neville held the manor of Combe Neville near Kingston, in 1289, of William Le Ros, by the render of an ivory bow and six barbed arrows (fn. 63).
P. 237.—Sir William Cockayne died at his house at Combe Neville in 1626 (fn. 64).
P. 240.–The site of the manor of Barwell or Berewell, of which there is a survey in the Auditor's office of the Land-Revenue, was leased for thirty years, anno 1538, to Richard Holbrooke, by whom it was assigned to Christopher Otway.
P. 241.–In the same office is a survey of the manor of Canbury, and the rectory of Kingston, which were leased together, in 1532, to Richard Thomas, at the rent of 541. 12s.
Manor of Hartington.
Canbury-house is now the property of Thomas John Parker, Esq.
P. 241.—In 1546, Richard Taverner, Esq. had a grant of all the messuages, tenements, lands, (with rents and services,) called Hertyngton, which had been parcel of the possessions of the priory of Merton, and had been granted in 1540 to Ralph Annesley for life (fn. 65). In 1547, the manor of Hartington (fn. 66), in this parish, was aliened by Richard Taverner to Edward Earl of Hertford (fn. 67).
P. 242.—George Evelyn died seised of the manorof Norbitonhall in 1603 (fn. 68). Roger Wood, Esq. died seised of it in 1635. The site of Norbiton-hall was conveyed, in 1678, by Mary, relict of Robert Wood, Esq. and her son Roger Wood, Esq. to William Reeves and his heirs. Sarah, only daughter and heir of William Reeves, in 1745, aliened it to Edward Greenly, Esq.; Edward Greenly, (the younger,) in 1788, to Richard Twopenny, Esq.; Mr. Twopenny, the next year, to William Farren, Esq. (late of Covent-Garden Theatre); and Mr. Farren, in 1794, to Thomas Lintall, Esq. the present proprietor, and inhabitant of Norbitonhall (fn. 69).
Norbiton-place, or Pope's.
Norbiton-place, the property and residence of John Sherer, Esq. was formerly called Pope's. It belonged for a considerable time to the family of Nicoll, and was sold by them, in 1758, to Sir John Phillips, father of Lord Milford, of whom it was purchased, in 1789, by Mr. Sherer (fn. 70).
P. 250.—Mr. Udal, who had been silenced in 1589 when minister of Kingston upon Thames, was, in 1590, sentenced to death for writing a book against the church of England, intitled, "A "Demonstration of Discipline." He died in the Marshalsea in 1592 (fn. 71).
P. 253.—Sir William Russell, Bart. of the Wick, was buried at Kingston, Sept. 17, 1707.
P. 255.—A correct list of benefactions, many of which were omitted in the account of this parish, was intended to be here given, but was not procured in time for insertion. It will be found at the end of the Appendix.
P. 264.—The gallery is supposed to have been built by Cardinal Pole (fn. 74), whose portrait there was copied from a picture in the Bar berini Palace for the present Archbishop. In the list of portraits in this gallery, Bishop Terrick's is omitted.
Archbishop Tillotson's portrait in the dining-room, in which he is drawn with a wig, is supposed to be by Mrs. Beale. It represents him as a much younger man (fn. 75) than that by Kneller, of which the present Archbishop has lately procured either a duplicate or a good copy. Kneller's picture of Tillotson, in which he is drawn in his own hair, was engraved by Vertue. The use of perukes became pretty general among the dignisied clergy in King William's reign.
Tombs in the church, churchyard, &c.
P. 280.—On the north wall of the chancel is the monument of Thomas James, Esq. 1791. In the churchyard are the tombs of Mrs. Mary Crowther, aged 90, 1794; and Maria Margaretta Taylor, eldest daughter of Sir Thomas Longueville, Bart. of East Clusium in Denbighshire, by Maria Margaretta, daughter of Sir John Conway, Bart. 1795. In the burial-ground are the tombs of Lucy, wife of David Howard, attorney, 1790; Mrs. Phœbe Lewis, 1791; Joseph Still her son, 1793; and Mrs. Emilia, daughter of William Williams, Esq. 1793.
P. 295.—Two proprietary chapels have been lately built in this parish; one at South Lambeth, at which the Reverend Lawrence Panting, M. A. is minister, opened June 29, 1794: the other in that part of Camberwell which belongs to Lambeth, at which the Rev. Thomas Sampson, M. A. is minister, opened June 21, 1795.
P. 297, &c.—Notes from the Parish Register.—Baptisms.—"1541, Katherine, daughter of Lord William Howard; 1617, &c. several children of Sir Gilford Slingsby and Sir Robert Hatton; 1650, &c. children of Sir Edward Dering and Sir Robert Nedham; 1655, &c. children of Heneage Finch.—Burials.—The Lady Egerton, Dec. 31, 1554; Sir Ernestus Byron, Knt. and Bart. Oct. 5, 1672; Sir Henry de la Pole, Knt. Oct. 24, 1682."
G. F. Pilon.
P. 306.—George Frederick Pilon, buried at Lambeth Jan. 27, 1788, was a dramatic writer of some note, author of "He would be a Soldier," and several farces, mostly on temporary subjects, which were acted with success. One of his farces, "The Deaf Lover," is now occasionally represented.
P. 308.—John Angell, Esq. by his will, bearing date 1774, left 10l. per annumfor clothing and schooling a poor boy and girl of this parish, and directed that the beef and money, anciently given away by his family to the poor at Stockwell, should be continued. The parish have derived no benefit from this bequest.
P. 318.—The woollen manufacture, mentioned in this page, has been discontinued.
P. 320.—Astley's amphitheatre was burnt down August 17, 1794, and has since been rebuilt.
Manor of Vauxhall.
P. 321.—John Adrian, Esq. was lord of the manor of Vauxhall in 1653, and Henry Hampson, Esq. from that time till the Restoration, when it reverted to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. Sir Thomas Hardress was steward of the manor from 1649 to 1681 (fn. 76).
Manor of Kennington.
P. 325.—John of Eltham resided at Kennington in the year 1333 (fn. 77). In the year 1352, the sum of 60l. was paid by the Black Prince to John Tyrington and John Pouke, masons, for making a buttress, besides herbage for three horses, in the great garden, and purveyance of stone and chalk (fn. 78). The preceding year John Alleyn had a grant of two-pence a day for his wages as the Prince's gardener (fn. 79). Sir Noel Caron had a grant of the demesnes of the manor of Kennington (being 122 acres, the manor-house and site of the manor excepted) for 21 years from 1616 (fn. 80). Sir Francis Cottington's lease was granted in 1624 (fn. 81). Sir Charles Harbord's survey of this manor, taken in 1636, describes the manor-house as "an old low timber building, situate upon part of the foundation of the ancient mansion-house of the Black Prince, and other Dukes of Cornwall after him, which was long time since utterly ruined, and nothing thereof remaining but the stable 180 feet long, built of flint and stone, and now used as a barn." This building, called in the parish register Vauxhall Barn, was a receptacle for the distressed Palatines in 1709.
P. 325.—Ambrose Phillips died at his lodgings near Vauxhall in the month of June 1749 (fn. 82).
Intended college for decayed gentlemen at Stockwell.
P. 329.—John Angell, Esq. by his will, bearing date Sept. 1774, gives to the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Lord Chancellor, and the Archbishop of York, for the time being, 100l. per annum out of his estate at Ewell; 100l. per annum out of his estate at Lambeth; 350l. per annum out of the collections of the spurn-lights at Newcastle; 250l. out of the light-houses at Sunderland, in trust; to be paid half-yearly, without any deduction, for the support of a college or society of seven decayed or unprovided gentlemen by descent; and two clergymen, an organist, six singing men, twelve choristers, a virger, chapel clerk, and three domestic servants, viz. a butler, baker, and groom. One of the gentlemen may be a merchant. They are to be called Gentlemen of St. John's College near Stockwell. One of the seven to be styled President, and to be superior to the rest: the gentlemen and the two clergymen to eat together, and the charges of their board and liquor each shall come to about 26l per annum. Their clothing to be a light-coloured cloth, all of one colour; for which shall be yearly allowed, and for a hat which shall have a narrow gold-lace (fn. 83), about 5l. The gentlemen to be chosen out of the counties of Surrey, Kent, Northampton, Somerset, Sussex, Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk, Lincoln, Northumberland, Stafford, Salop, Hertford, Leicester, Bedford, Cambridge, Buckingham, and Worcester; and one out of the counties of Carmarthen, Brecknock, and Carnarvon, in Wales.
He leaves 6000l. to build the college in the middle of a piece of ground at Stockwell, called Burden Bush, the building to front the road. The sum of 1500l. out of the above 6000l. he appropriates to building the chapel, which is to be of stone, 60 feet by 40. The middle part of the mansion to be for the apartments of the gentlemen and clergymen, four on each side, and one in the centre for the president, built with brick covered with stone: on each side a house for the singing-men, at the end of which, on the south side, is to stand a house where they are to eat together, under which is to be a cellar, at the east end the office, and at the other end the organist's apartment, and the school; behind all, the out-offices, and stables on the north side, against the hall and chapel. On all surplice days divine service to be performed according to the pattern of the best ordered cathedrals. If not built in his lifetime, the building to be set about immediately after his interment. If in times to come this college should ever be dissolved by Government, the revenues are to revert to the possessors of his estates. He states the motive of this foundation to be, that for the good of the public a society should be established wherein there should be always patterns of piety and of genteel behaviour. Mr. Angell died in 1784, since which time there has been a law-suit in Chancery relating to his will, as yet undetermined. The foundation of the college at Stockwell has never taken effect.
P. 329.—Roger Wynter, anno 1449, released all claim in the manor of Levehurst, and lands in Lambeth, to John Stanley and Nicholas Molineux (fn. 84). The same year John Audeley, Esq. released the manor of Knolles and lands in Lambeth, to the same parties (fn. 85).
In the Auditor's office of the Land-Revenue is a survey of the manor of Stockwell with Levehurst, occupying several pages (fn. 86).
P. 330.—Caron, or Croone-house, at South Lambeth, was granted in fee, anno 1666, to Edward Earl of Clarendon, the Lord Chancellor (fn. 87).
Joseph Vernon, the actor, died at South Lambeth, March 19, 1782 (fn. 88).
P. 335.—Sir George Walter was buried at Malden, Aug. 11, 1742.
P. 336.— The funeral sermon mentioned in this page is intitled "The Vanity of Self-boasters," &c. by E. H. Minister, late Fellow of Merton College.
The present vicar is the Rev. Rogers Ruding, B. D. instituted on the death of Robert Bean.
P. 344.—In the reign of Edw. VI. the site of Merton Abbey was in the tenure of James Josselyn, who was assignee of Thomas Hennege. William Saunder, Esq. had a lease of the rectory in 1538, for 40 years, at 40s. per annum (fn. 89).
John Villiers, Earl of Buckingham.
P. 349.—The Earl of Buckingham mentioned in this page, was John, fourth Viscount Purbeck, who, in 1687, on the death of George Villiers the younger, Duke of Buckingham, succeeded to the titles of Earl of Buckingham, Viscount Villiers, and Baron Whaddon, which were exemplisied to him under the great seal in 1699. He married Frances, daughter of the Rev. Mr. Moyser, and relict of George Heneage, Esq. by whom he had issue two daughters; Mary, buried at Merton in 1703, and Elizabeth, who died at a very advanced age in 1786 (fn. 90).
P. 354.—Sir Walter Ralegh and his son Carew sold his house and lands in Mitcham, in 1616, to Thomas Plumer, ancestor of the present proprietor, William Plumer, Esq. M. P. for the county of Hertford. The house is not that which is now called Ralegh house, but another in the tenure of John Bond, Esq. (fn. 91)
P. 355.—Thomas Elrington, Esq. (son and heir of Simon,) by his will, bearing date 1523, bequeathed to Alice, his wife, his chief house at Mitcham, which was given him by Sir Thomas More, Under Treasurer of England (afterward Lord High Chancellor) (fn. 92).
P. 356.—Mr. Mendez was educated at St. Mary Hall under Dr. King.
P. 358.—George Weldon was instituted to the vicarage of Mitcham Oct. 1, 1658, on the presentation of Robert Cranmer (fn. 93).
P. 359.—Extracts from the Register.—" Sr Henry Hatton, buried in the chancel under the communion-table, Jan. 29, 1662–3; the Lady Lee, buried in her own chancel, Jan. 30, 1665; Barbara Countess of Pembroke, carried to Salisbury, Aug. 15, 1722."
William Porter had a lease of this manor from Westminster Abbey for 60 years, in 1511, at 10l. per annum (fn. 94).
P. 363.—Add to the tombs in the churchyard, that of William Atterbury, who died in 1690, aged 97.
"George Berkeley, only son to the Rt Hon. George Ld Berkeley, was married (at Mordon) to Elizabeth Massingberd, daughter to John Massingberd, Esq. Aug. 11, 1646."
P. 366.—Edward the Third resided at Mortlake in 1352 (fn. 95). The capital mansion or manor-house was standing in 1547, as appears by the bailiff's account of the manor of Wimbledon that year. Sir Robert Tyrwhit was then bailiff (fn. 96).
P. 368.—A valuable picture of the entombing of Christ, by Gerrard Seghers, was placed over the altar in this church, in 1794, having been presented to the parish by Mr. Benjamin Vandergucht, an eminent picture dealer and collector, who then resided at EastSheen. Mr. Vandergucht was unfortunately drowned in the Thames, returning from Chiswick to Mortlake, on the 16th of September 1794, and was buried in this church on the 25th.
To the monuments in Mortlake church, add that of Mrs. Jane Johnson, 1795; and in the vestry, that of Anne, wife of Charles King, surgeon, 1791.
P. 370.—The tithes of Mortlake and East-Sheen were let by the Parliamentary Commissioners, in 1656, to Thomas Nuttall and John Lyford, for 75l. per annum, and the taxes (fn. 97).
David Clarkson, appointed minister of Mortlake, Feb. 13, 1655 (fn. 98), was a divine of considerable eminence among the Puritans. He was employed, in conjunction with other divines, in writing English annotations on the Holy Scriptures. He published also some treatises against the church-establishment; and a life of Dr. John Owen. Mr. Clarkson continued but a short time at Mortlake, being succeeded, in June 1656, by Robert Parkes (fn. 99).
P. 371.—Extracts from the Register.—"Christiana, daughter of "Sr William Doddington, baptized June 14, 1604; Henry Batten, Esq. was married to Mrs. Susanna Warburton, daughter of Sr Richard Warburton, Oct. 21, 1622; Henry, son of the right worshipful Sr Gamaliel Capel, baptized June 4, 1633; Robert, third son of Sr Robert Shirley, Bart, and Katherine his wife, baptized Oct. 20, 1650; Katherine, daughter of Sir John Pye and Rebecca his wife, baptized June 31, 1667; Esther, daughter of Sr Abraham Cullen and Abigail, baptized Sep. 28, 1665; Sr Abraham Cullen, buried Sep. 2, 1668."
P. 375.—To the instances of longevity add—Mrs. Anne Burkin, in her 100th year, buried Aug. 18, 1793; William Willoughby, aged 95, buried Nov. 22, 1793; Susanna Stringer, aged 93, July 17, 1794; Mrs. Mary Athawes, (relict of Edward Athawes, Esq.) aged 92, July 30, 1794.
P. 377.—Upon a stone found near the parsonage-house at Leadenham, is the following inscription (fn. 100), which shews that Dr. Dee was in possession of this rectory as late as the year 1565. There is a tradition in the place, that the house had been twice burnt down by lightning; if any such accident really happened, this stone might have been a memorial of his escape.
[see page image 603] Misericordias Domini in æterna Cantabo.
Joannes Dee, MDLXV.
P. 384. l. 7.—Petersburgh is inadvertently written for Moscow. The sovereigns of Russia were in their own nation called Tzars of Moscovy, from the year 1514 till the time of Peter the Great; but, in other countries, Emperors of Russia, or of all Russia (fn. 101).
First introduction of tapestry.
P. 386.—The making of tapestry had been introduced into England many years before the establishment of Sir Francis Crane's manufactory, by William Sheldon, Esq. the name of the artist was Robert Heeks, who had the use of Mr. Sheldon's manor-house at Barcheston in Warwickshire. Mr. Sheldon, in his will, bearing date 1570, calls Heeks "the only auter and beginner of the art of making "tapestry and arras within this realm."
In 1623, Prince Charles wrote to his council from Madrid, directing them to pay 700l. for some drawings of tapestry which he had ordered from Italy, and 500l. for a suit then making for him at Mortlake by Sir Francis Crane, representing the twelve months, which he earnestly desires may be finished before his return (fn. 102). The house, which was the residence of Francis Cleyne, has lately been pulled down.
P. 387.—The manufacture late Mr. Sanders's is now carried on by Messrs. Norris and Gurney.
P. 391.—The new church, which was rebuilt by a faculty and not by an Act of Parliament, was completed in 1793. It is an ob long square, with a curvature at the east end for the chancel. At the west end is a portico supported by four columns of the Doric order.
Remarkable mortality in the family of R. Dean.
P. 393.—Add to the tombs in the churchyard, fivechildren of Richard and Hannah Dean, who all died (of the small-pox) in the month of May 1785; Amelia, wife of Mr. Richard Bannister, 1795; and Mary, relict of Samuel Spencer, Esq. 1795.
P. 395.—The present rector of Newington Butts is the Rev. Charles de Guiffiardiere. He succeeded Dr. Horsley, who resigned on being translated to the see of Rochester in 1793.
P. 399.—The manor was granted in fee to John Earl of Lauderdale, anno 1671 (fn. 103). King James's grant, by lease, mentioned in this page, was of the mansion, called the lodge at Petersham, purchased by Charles I. of Gregory Cole, Esq. The grant was to Lord Cornbury and Charles Boyle. The lodge is now the property and residence of Sir William Manners, Bart.
P. 400.—The Duke of Argyle died at Sudbrook Oct 3, 1743 (fn. 104). Lady Greenwich died in the month of January 1794. Sudbrook is now the property of the Duke of Buccleugh.
Tombs in the churchyard.
P. 401.—To the tombs in the church-yard at Petersham, add those of Joseph Perkins, merchant, 1689; James Perkins, his father, 1691; Tryon Perkins, son of Joseph; Fluellin Perkins, surgeon; Francis Barker, citizen of London, 1710; Nathaniel Halhed, Esq. 1730; Elizabeth, his wife, daughter of William Houghton, Esq. 1717; Elizabeth, his second wife, daughter of George Mason, Esq. 1729; James Halhed, Esq. (son of Nathaniel), 1737; Elizabeth, wife of John Marke, Esq. daughter of Nathaniel Halhed, 1772; Elizabeth, daughter of John Marke, wife of Bartholomew Burton, 1762; William Halhed, Esq. 1786; Mrs. Belinda Halhed, 1792; Sir John Darnall, serjeant at law, 1731; Margaret, his wife, 1741; Mary, his daughter, wife of Robert Ord, Lord Chief Baron of Scotland (fn. 105), 1749; Cecilia Bunbury, daughter of Claude Fonnereau, 1752; John Aikenhead, Esq. 1780; Thomas Kendall, merchant, 1782; Mrs. Sibella Triggs, 1782; Mary, wife of Lieut. Col. William Loftus, 1786; Mrs. Elizabeth Priaulx, 1787; Francis Watkins, Esq. 1791; Thomas Wilson, Esq. 1794; and Mrs. Margaret Hickes, 1796.
P. 406.—For Queen Elizabeth's visits to Putney see vol. ii. p. 394.
Epitaph written by Richard Mountney.
P. 411.—The following elegant epitaph on Maria Cary, was written by her son-in-law, the editor of Demosthenes, who appears to have resided in this parish (fn. 106), probably with the Caryes at Roehampton: "Ave, vale, anima, inter optumas dulcissima, te digna tan"dem nunc recepta es in loca."
Mariæ Cary, Ricardus Mountney materteræ matre quâlibet amantiori, alumnus quovis filio devinctior, pie posuit."
P. 412.—Sir William Becher is called in Smith's Obituary, Clerk of the Council. To the tombs mentioned in this page add Mrs. Juliana Devaynes, (wife of John Devaynes, Esq. apothecary to the Queen's household,) 1795.
Tombs in the burial ground.
P. 414.—To the tombs in the new burial ground, add Mary, wife of Robert James, Esq. 1777; Anne, his daughter, 1779; Elizabeth Owen, his sister, 1784; Robert James, Esq. aged 94, 1794; Am brose Humphrys, Esq. 1778; Germain Lavie, Esq. 1781; Mrs. Martha Gilbert (fn. 107), 1786; Andrew Thomson, Esq. 1795; William Galley, Esq. 1796; and Mr. Henry Swift, 1796.
Lessees of the rectory.
P. 415.—Sir Thomas Dawes was lessee of the rectory of Putney in 1652. He died in 1655, being, as it is stated in the accounts of the Committee of Sequestrations, 567l. in debt to the trustees (fn. 108). The great tithes were leased, in 1656, to Francis Button, for 80l. per annum, and the taxes (fn. 109).
Ministers of Putney during the Commonwealth.
It appears by the report of one of the Committees, that Christopher Hudson was discharged from the cure of Putney June 2, 1657. It is observed in the report that there was need of a very able godly minister at Putney, not only in reference to the place itself, and parts adjacent, but to the city of London, on which the said place might have a considerable influence, by reason of the quality of the citizens of great worth and value in the said town (fn. 110). On the 11th of June Thomas Goldstone was appointed to preach there for two months (fn. 111).
P. 416.—The grant to Edward Sclater is recorded on the Patentroll, Pat. 2 Jac. II. pt. 6. N° 1.
—— Mr. Hughes is now Prebendary of Westminster.
P. 419–422.—To the extracts from the register in these pages, may be added those in the note below (fn. 112).
The late celebrated historian Edward Gibbon was born at Putney, April 27, 1737, and baptized on the 13th of May following. He was descended from a Kentish family: John Gibbon the heraldic writer, was his great-grandfather's brother. Edward Gibbon, his grandfather, who was one of the South Sea Directors, settled at Putney, in the house which was lately Mrs. Wood's (fn. 113). In this house William Law, the celebrated Nonjuror, author of "the Serious "Call," and other works, resided some time as tutor to his son, the historian's father; and here the historian himself was born; yet he observes in his own Memoirs, that as far back as he could remember, the house near the bridge, (now Mr. Jennings's,) then the residence of Mr. James Porten, (his maternal grandfather,) where he passed many happy hours of his childhood, and usually spent his holidays, appeared to him in the light of his proper and native home. Gibbon received the first rudiments of his education at a day-school in this place. At seven years of age he was put under the tuition of the Rev. John Kirkby, author of "the Life of Automathes," who resided eighteen months in his father's house at Putney. He was afterwards sent to the grammar-school at Kingston upon Thames, then kept by Dr. Woodeson. Since Mr. Gibbon's death, which happened Jan. 16, 1794, his friend and executor, Lord Sheffield, has published Memoirs of his life, (written by himself,) whence the above particulars relating to his birth and juvenile years are taken, as immediately connected with this place and neighbourhood.
P. 423.—The house mentioned in this page as inhabited by the Countess-dowager of Lincoln, has lately been sold to the Hon. Augustus Cavendish Bradshaw, and is now in his own occupation.
P. 424.—The reversionary legacies of Mr. Turner and Mr. Stead have become payable since the account of this parish was written, and are now vested in the parish-officers for the benefit of the almswomen. Gerrard Vanneck, Esq. in 1750, bequeathed 200l. to the poor of Putney.
P. 427.—Near the obelisk on Putney-heath, mentioned in this page, was erected, in the month of May 1796, one of the telegraphs which form the communication between London and Portsmouth.
P. 428.—The late James Macpherson, Esq. author of several historical, political, and other works, but better known to the world as the editor, and as it is now pretty generally allowed, author, of the poems ascribed to Ossian, had a villa on Putney-heath; now the residence of Andrew Drummond, Esq. who has purchased Mr. Macpherson's interest in the premises.
P. 433.—Roehampton park was sold by Sir Joshua Vanneck to Thomas Fitzherbert, Esq. of whom it has since been purchased by William Gosling, Esq. the present proprietor. The late Lord Dover's villa is now the property and residence of Lady Robert Bertie. William Drake, Esq. died in the month of August last, since which his house at Roehampton has been advertised for sale; but it has not yet been purchased of his representatives.
P. 437.—David Vincent had a lease of the manor of Sheen alias Richmount, in the reign of Edward VI. for 81 years. The manorhouse (Richmond palace) was excepted (fn. 114). The manor of Richmond was part of the dower of Queen Mary, consort of James II. (fn. 115)
P. 443.—The custody of the palace of West-Sheen, or Richmond, was renewed to Edward Villiers, for two lives, in 1661 (fn. 116).
The Duchess of Marlborough says, that Queen Anne, when Princess of Denmark, desired the use of Richmond palace, (then in the Crown,) where she had lived in her childhood, before her father's abdication; but that it was refused her, though no use was made of it but for Madam Possaire, a sister of Lady Orkney's, and Mrs. Hill (fn. 117).
P. 445.—A parcel of land, called the Friars, was leased to Edward Darell of London, for 61 years, in 1698 (fn. 118).
P. 446.—The Duke of Ormond's first lease was in 1704 (fn. 119); he he had another lease in 1707 (fn. 120). A new lease was granted to George the Second, when Prince of Wales, for 99 years or three lives, in 1722 (fn. 121).
P. 451.—The reference to Lord Bellasys's grant is Pat. 15 Car. II. pt. 2. N° 6.
P. 453.—George the Second is said (fn. 122) to have dined at Sir Matthew Decker's (with his Queen, Caroline) on the day that he was proclaimed.
P. 454.—Heydegger's house is now in the occupation of Mrs. Levy.
P. 459.—To the tombs in the church add that of Lucy, relict of Sir Robert Throckmorton, Bart. of Buckland in Berkshire, 1795. Against the north wall of the tower, on the outside, has been lately put up a monument to the memory of Sir Richard Levett of Kew (no date); Mary Lady Levett, 1722; Anne, daughter of Abraham Blackborne, Esq. 1720; Abraham Blackborne, Esq. 1721; (he married Mary, daughter of Sir Richard Levett;) Levett Blackborne, Esq. Bencher of Lincoln's-Inn, 1781; Frances, wife of the Rev. Abraham Blackborne, daughter of Thomas Fanshaw, Esq. of Parsloes, 1795; and Mrs. Sarah Powell, daughter of the Rev. Mr. Powell of Lutterworth, 1795.
P. 460, l. 30.—William Hall composed several airs, published in a collection intitled, Tripla Concordia (fn. 123).
P. 461.—An augmentation of 50l. was voted to Jeremiah Benson, minister of Richmond, in 1651 (fn. 124). Edward Pierce was appointed minister by Richard Mayo, in 1656 (fn. 125). Edward Taylor was appointed lecturer by Cromwell, in 1658 (fn. 126). The cure of Richmond will, upon the next vacancy, devolve upon the imcumbent of Kingston, and they will in future make one vicarage, being called "the vicarage of Kingston upon Thames and Sheen, otherwise Richmond." The advowson was sold to King's College, Cambridge, as stated in vol. i. p. 249.
P. 462.—Sir John Matthews, Knt. was buried at Richmond, March 28, 1694.
P. 464.—Joseph Grove, author of a life of Cardinal Wolsey, a history of the Dukes of Devonshire; an answer to Carteret Webb's pamphlet on the Jews; and other works, died at Richmond, March 27, 1764, and was there buried on the second of April.
P. 466.—Dr. Richard Hill was fellow of Eton College at the time of his death.
P. 468, l. 12.—This road, which led formerly from Richmond to Kew-ferry, is now laid into Richmond gardens.
In 1711, an account of a thunder-storm, with a plate of the damage done to some buildings at Richmond, was published in a small pamphlet.
P. 470.—A market on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and two fairs, at Rotherhithe, one on the first Thursday in April, and the other on the first Thursday in October, were granted, in 1684, to Christopher Duke of Albemarle (fn. 127). They have been long discontinued.
P. 471.—In the reign of Edward the Sixth, William Dale held the Moted-place, alias Lord Fitzwalter's Place, by a lease under the Crown, at the yearly rent of 53s. 4d. (fn. 128). Lands in Rotherhithe and Bermondsey (called Brooke's-hill, Brewer's-ground, Brabor'smeade, and Pery-meade), belonging formerly to the monastery of Bermondsey, were granted, in 1553, to William Sackville and John Dudley (fn. 129). John Hartop, Esq. died seised of them in 1608; they afterwards became the property of Sir Robert Nedham, who married Elizabeth his daughter and heir (relict: of — Coppin). These lands were sold by the Nedhams, in 1657, to John Reading; and, in 1672, by Sir John James to John Meller. They were purchased, in 1735, of Simon Yorke, who married Mr. Meller's grand-daughter, by Lewis Way, Esq. father of Benjamin Way, Esq. the present proprietor (fn. 130).
John Cowes was instituted to the rectory of Rotherhithe on the presentation of Henry Selby, Clerk (fn. 131) : John Baker, in 1658, on the presentation of Elizabeth and William Dobins (fn. 132). Robert Myddelton, the present rector, is D. D.
Manor of Balams.
P. 482.—The manor of Balams, lately parcel of the possessions of the monastery of Bermondsey, was leased, in 1542, to John Symondes, for twenty-one years, at the annual rent of 20l. (fn. 133).
P. 488.—Additional notes from the Register.—" Sr Robert Goodman, buried Sep. 17, 1545; the Dame Lady Margaret Howard, Jan. 22, 1568–9; Robert, son of Sr Edward Peyton, Knt, baptized July 23, 1611; a daughter of Sr Christopher Abdy, baptized in 1630; a daughter of the Hon. George Berkeley, June 11, 1647; Sr John Howland, buried Nov. 7, 1649; Sr William Chambers, buried Mar. 28, 1736."
P. 491.—The water of the spring here mentioned is a very mild cathartic; three pints, or more, being recommended to be taken as a dose (fn. 134).
P. 492.—The manor of Sutton was leased, in the year 1528, for 25 years, at the yearly rent of 8l. 13s. 4d. to Robert Asheley, who assigned the lease to Thomas Rogers (fn. 135).
P. 494.—Sir Richard Mason was buried at Sutton, Mar. 18, 1684.
P. 501.—Additional notes from the Register.—" The Honble Sr James Bateman was invaulted or buried, Nov. 19, 1718; Sr Harcourt Master, buried Mar. 22, 1744–5; Dorothy, relict of Sr John Kempe, Mar. 6, 1767."
—— Dr. Henry Miles, who was elected pastor of the Dissenters' congregation at this place in 1726, was a man of consider able note; particularly distinguished for his skill in natural philosophy. He wrote several papers relating to this science, published in the Transactions of the Royal Society; of which he was elected a Fellow in 1743. In 1744, he had the degree of D. D. given him unsolicited, by the University of Aberdeen. His attachment to his congregation at Tooting was so great, that he continued there till his death, in 1763; having, in the mean time, refused the offer of situations of greater emolument. Dr. Miles was a native of Stroud in Glocestershire (fn. 136).
Manor of Dunsford.
P. 504.—The surveys of the manors of Battersea and Wandsworth, in the Auditor's-office of the Land-Revenue have been already mentioned. The manor of Dunsford was leased by the prior and convent of Merton, in 1538, to Robert Kyrwen, at the yearly rent of 6l. 13s. 4d. for the term of 31 years, to commence from 1546, being the expiration of a former term granted to John Hale (fn. 137).
Manor of Downe.
P. 505.—The manor of Donne or Downe was given to Westminster Abbey, in 1377, by Thomas Pernel (fn. 138). The site of this manor was leased by the abbot and convent, in 1527, to John Hill for 32 years, at the rent of 6l. 6s. 8d. (fn. 139).
Manor of Allfarthing.
——The manor of Allfarthing was leased, in 1534, to Thomas Lord Cromwell for 60 years; from him the lease passed, by assignment, to Elizabeth Draper, widow (fn. 140). The lease was renewed, in 1570, for 31 years, to Elizabeth Snowe, by whose family it was assigned to John Bowyer, Esq. (fn. 141).
P. 509.—Milo Knaresborough, in the reign of Edward VI. was lessee of the rectory of Battersea and Wandsworth, both of which together were rented of the Crown at 128l. 2s. 9½d. per annum (fn. 142). It is probable that the lease continued in his family, and descended to Robert Knaresborough, buried at Wandsworth in 1611. It is probable also that Mrs. Susanna Powell, who charged the rectory with the payment of a benefaction to this parish, was daughter of Robert Knaresborough.
First Presbyterian congregation.
P. 511.—The first Presbytery established in this kingdom was at Wandsworth, in the year 1572. Among the principal promoters of this establishment were, John Field, of Wandsworth (fn. 143); Mr. Smith, of Mitcham; and Mr. Crane, of Roehampton. Eleven elders were chosen on the 11th of November, in the year above mentioned; and their offices described in a book intitled the Orders of Wandsworth. The Presbyterians of that day, commonly called Puritans, dissented from the church of England on matters of church discipline only, and the wearing of habits (fn. 144).
P. 518.—The mock election at Garrett was revived in 1796.
P. 519.—To the parishes by which Wimbledon is bounded, add Tooting.
P. 520.— Upon a second view of the camp mentioned in this page, there are evident traces of an outer fosse, with a small vallum, which appears to have gone round it, though not every where visible. The diameter of the camp is 220 paces.
P. 522.—Swift, in one of his letters, calls Wimbledon-house (Lord Carmarthen's) much the finest place about London (fn. 145).
P. 535.—The great tithes of Wimbledon were leased, in 1656, for 80l. per annum, and the taxes, to William Claxton (fn. 146). On the 24th of June 1656, it was resolved, by the Committee of plundered ministers, that Christopher Fox, not having satisfied the Committee of his fitness to serve the cure of Wimbledon, the Right Hon. Lord Lambert (then in possession of the manor) be desired to nominate some fit person (fn. 147). On the 11th of May 1658, William Syms was appointed by the Committee (fn. 148). In the Annus Mirabilis, published in 1661 (fn. 149), is an account of one Nathaniel Pace being struck with a dead palsy, Oct. 17, 1660, immediately after cursing master Syms the minister of Wimbledon.
P. 539.—Corbyn Morris, Esq. who was buried at Wimbledon, January 1, 1780, was author of "an Essay towards fixing the true "Standards of Wit, Humour, Raillery, Satire, and Ridicule;" a treatise "on the past Growth and present State of London;" a plan for balancing the accounts of the landed estates; a tract on the impolicy of insuring the enemies' ships in time of war; a pamphlet on the silver coin; and a letter to the byestander.
—— The overplus of Mrs. Dorothy Cecil's charity, being, (when no repairs are wanted,) after deducting the land-tax, 3l. 2s. 6d. is directed to be appropriated to the purchase of materials to set the poor on work; the profit of such workmanship to be given to such poor as are impotent and cannot work.
P. 540.—Mr. Lancaster's house was formerly a seat of the Betensons. Sir William Draper, K. B. occupied it after Lord Weymouth.
P. 541.—Lyde Brown, Esq. died at Wimbledon, in 1787, a catalogue of his statues was published the same year.
P. 549.—William Smith, Esq. proprietor of the site of Bermondsey Abbey, died in 1793. It is now the property of his son William Edward Smith, Esq. one of the Clerks of the Revenue in the Treasury.
P. 551.—John Rider, who was instituted to the rectory of Bermondsey in 1612, published, in 1589, an English and Latin dictionary, (being the first in which the English was printed before the Latin,); he was afterwards Bishop of Killaloe (fn. 150). Bishop Rider was author also of an account of the landing of the Spaniards in Ireland, in 1610; a pamphlet on the Antiquity of the Protestant Religion, and other tracts, mostly printed in Ireland.