The Environs of London: Volume 4, Counties of Herts, Essex and Kent. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1796.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
VOLUME THE SECOND.
P. 1.—The water of Acton-wells is clear, and rather of a bitter flavour; impregnated mostly with calcareous glauber (fn. 1).
P. 2.—Among the collection of pamphlets in the British Museum, is an account of a battle fought at Acton between the King's army and the Earl of Essex's forces (fn. 2); but it appears by other publications of that time, that it was fought at Turnham Green.
P. 32.—The late Mr. Mussell's house is the property of John Gretton, Esq. who married his widow. It was built by Lord Wentworth, lord of the manor of Stepney (fn. 3), and is now called Aldgatehouse. The removal of Aldgate took place in 1756.
P. 41.—Among the collection of pamphlets in the British Museum, is a true relation of the battail at Branford, the 12 of November, between his Majesty's army and the Parliament's forces; and how the cavaliers swore God damn them, the devil was in their powder." London, 1642. The account of the battle at Brentford is as follows: "Prince Rupert, taking advantage of a thick mist, brought up his forces to Brentford, where he was most valiantly opposed by my Lord Roberts's regiment, on the bridge, who beat them off, and with great resolution maintained the bridge till they had spent all their powder and shot; at which time it pleased God that Col. Hampden and Col. Holles's regiments came in, who very manfully set upon them and slew many of them, with the loss of a very few on our side." There is another pamphlet, intitled, "A true and perfect Relation of the chief Passages in Middlesex, between the Forces of the Malignants, and those assembled for the Defence of the Kingdom; shewing the Approaches of Prince Rupert into those Parts, as far as Turnham Green, on this Side Branford; where, on Saturday last, the 12 of November, and on Sunday, they had a Skirmish; with the Defeat happening to the said Prince, and his Cavaliers, by our Forces, there being slain at least 800 of those Malignants; with the Manner of their Retreat towards Kent, to the great rejoicing of this honourable City, and all good People that love the High Court of Parliament."—London, 1642.
BROMLEY ST. LEONARD.
P. 62.—The manor of Bromley-hall was sold by Sir William Cecil, (afterwards Lord Burleigh,) in 1552, to Julius (fn. 4)Morgan. It afterwards came to the family of Hare (fn. 5). In 1606, Hugh and John Hare conveyed it to Arthur (afterwards Sir Arthur) Ingram. From him it passed to William Ferrers, Esq. who died seised of it in 1625, and lies buried at Bromley. In 1661, it was purchased of the Ferrers family by John Samine; who, in 1678, conveyed it to Isaac Honeywood. From the latter, it passed, in 1686, to Adam Woolley, and his heirs. In 1717, it was sold by William Woolley, sen. and William Woolley, jun. to Richard Nicholls, Esq. grandfather of George Nicholls, Esq. the present proprietor (fn. 6).
P. 73.—It appears, by a record in the Tower (fn. 7), that a partition was made, in the year 1315, of the lands which had been the pro perty of Thomas, son of Ralph de Septemfontibus. In this partition the manor of Chelsea, and lands there called Kingsholt, fell to the share of Cecilia, wife of Richard de Heyle, sister and coheir of the said Thomas.
P. 92.—To the persons of eminence mentioned in this page may be added, Dr. Smollet, who resided at Chelsea in 1759 (fn. 8).
P. 111.—Sir John Munden was made Rear Admiral of the Blue, in 1701. He was knighted upon having the command of a squadron appointed to convoy King William to Holland. In Queen Anne's reign, he incurred much popular censure, by his failure in an expedition destined to intercept a French squadron, for which he was tried by a court-martial and honourably acquitted; yet the Queen dismissed him from her service with disgrace, by a public notification in the Gazette (fn. 9); after which he spent the remainder of his days in retirement at Chelsea.
P. 131.—Lady Katherine Persivalwas Catherine, daughter of Sir Edward Deering, Bart. wife, first, of Sir John Perceval, Bart. (father of Sir Edward Perceval, Bart. and John Earl of Egmont); and afterwards of Col. Butler. There is a print of her in the genealogy of the House of Yvery.
P. 132.—There is no doubt that Sir George Pearce or Pearse mentioned in this page was Sir George Picrs, Bart. whose Principal seat was at Stonepitt in Kent. He appears also to have had a residence at Chelsea. There is a print of Sarah Lady Piers his wife, who published a poem on the accession of George I. Sarah Lady Pearcewas buried at Chelsea Sept. 8, 1719 (fn. 10).
P. 149.—A new manufactory, for floor-cloths, has been built in the King's Road, by Mr. Morley; who is about to introduce, in that manufacture, patterns from the Mosaic pavements discovered in the Roman building at Woodchester in Gloucestershire. Mr. Morley has a manufactory also at Knightsbridge.
P. 182, 183.—It is most probable that Hyde-park was inclosed by the abbot and convent of Westminster; in various records and surveys, an ancient charter is mentioned, by which the franchise, free-board, or liberty, was extended to nine feet in breadth beyond the paling. The first keeper on record, after Hyde-park became vested in the Crown, was George Roper; who was succeeded by Francis Nevill (fn. 11). Sir Charles Harbord, the Surveyor-general, in a report, dated 1664, observes, that King Charles I. was very earnest with him for walling Hyde-park, "as well for the honor of his palace and great city, as for his own disport and recreation." On the sale of the Crown lands, Hyde-park was sold in three lots; the Kensington division to John Tracey, for 3906l. 7s. 6d; the gravelpit division to Richard Wilcox, for 4141l. 11s.; and the middle division, to Anthony Dean, Esq. for 9020l. 8s. 2d.; making in the whole 17,068l. 6s. 8d. For several years after the Restoration, the park was let out, by Mr. Hamilton the ranger, in farms; and it was not, till after the year 1670, that it was replenished again with deer, and surrounded with a wall. During the usurpation, several houses were built on the skirts of the park, near Hyde-park-corner and Park-lane. These were afterwards granted on lease to James Hamilton, Esq.; and the lease was renewed to Mrs. Elizabeth Hamilton (fn. 12), for 99 years, in 1692. This lease, which has been again renewed, is now vested in Sir John Smith Burgess, Bart. and Drummond Smith, Esq. who have lately built, for their own residence, two very handsome houses near Hyde-park-corner. Apsley-house, built by the late Earl Bathurst, (when Lord Chancellor,) and now the property and town residence of the present Earl, stands on the site of the old lodge, and is held under the Crown. Grosvenor-gate was made in 1724, in compliance with a petition of the inhabitants of Hanover-square and the streets adjacent, on condition of their keeping the lodge in repair, and paying the keeper's wages. The reservoir, which nearly adjoins to it, was made the same year, by the corporation of the Chelsea waterworks, for supplying Kensington palace and gardens, the upper parts of Westminster, and the buildings near Oliver's Mount (fn. 13).
P. 186.—A pamphlet (among the collection in the British Museum), published in 1642 (fn. 14), states, that Prince Rupert, having traversed the county of Middlesex, leaving Harrow on his right, came to Turnham Green, where he encamped his army; that a battle (fn. 15)ensued, (which is stated to be on the 12th of November, the same day in which the battle of Brentford happened,) that it continued with doubtful success till night, when Prince Rupert retreated towards the inclosed grounds on the right side of the green; and that the next morning 800 of the Cavaliers were found slain on the green.
P. 228.—Hickes-on-the-Heath, now called Elm-Grove, has been sold by Mr. Barnard to Lord Kinnaird. Ealing-house is now the property of the Earl of Galloway. Ealing-Grove is still the property of Mr. Baillie's family. Place-house at Little Ealing was bought by Cuthbert Fisher, Esq. of Mr. Holmes. Ford Hook is the property of the Miss Crowchers. It is newly fitted up, and is at present in the occupation of Lord Hugh Seymour. This is supposed to have been the house where Henry Fielding lived.
P. 233.—A picture, by Zoffani, representing "the Lord's Sup"per," has lately been presented to the chapel at Old Brentford by that artist, who resides in the neighbouring hamlet of Strand-on-theGreen.
P. 238.—Eight tenements or alms-houses for the habitation of poor persons were built at Old Brentford in the year 1794, with a sum of money given by the late Henry Beaufoy, Esq. as a compensation for inclosing some waste.
P. 267.— Dr. Owen, the late learned vicar of this parish, who died on the 14th of October 1795, was a native of Merionethshire, and received his education at Jesus College, Oxford; having proceeded to the degree of M. D. he practised for three years as a physician; but his health not allowing him to continue that profession, he entered into holy orders, and both by his writings and the amiableness of his manners became a distinguished ornament of the church. His literary labours were chiefly directed, and with much success, to Biblical criticism and the illustration of the Scriptures (fn. 16); with this view he published his Critica Sacra; his Examinations of the Septuagint Version of the Old Testament; his work on the Scripture Miracles; his Observations on the Four Gospels; and other works of a like nature. Dr. Owen (by a daughter of Bishop Butts) left a son, now rector of St. Olave, Hart-street, and five daughters, for whom he was unable to make any adequate provision. A volume of their father's practical sermons, written for the use of a mixed congregation, is about to be published for their benefit.
P. 275.—The site of Arnolds is now the property of Isaac Walker, Esq. and is called Arno's Grove. It descended from Sir John Weld to Sir William Acton, who married his grand-daughter. Sir William Acton's daughter married Sir William Whitmore, who sold Arnolds to Thomas Wolstenholme, Esq. in 1699. Sir Thomas Whitmore, grandson to Sir William, afterwards became possessed of it, and sold it to James Colebrooke, Esq. who in 1720 began the present mansion, which was much enlarged and improved by his son, Sir George Colebrooke, Bart. It was afterwards in the successive possession of Sir Abraham Hume, Bart., Sir William Mayne, Bart. (created Lord Newhaven (fn. 17)in 1776), and James Brown, Esq. It was purchased of the latter in 1776 by the present proprietor (fn. 18).
P. 287.—The measure of inclosing Enfield Chace was suggested, and the bill drawn up, by the late Francis Russell, Esq. F. R. A. S. Secretary of the Duchy Court of Lancaster, who purchased a part of the inclosure called Beech-hill, where he built a commodious mansion for his own residence, and planted an extensive shrubbery (fn. 19). Mr. Russell was appointed, in 1784, Solicitor to the Commissioners for the affairs of India; and in 1793 published a short History of the East India Company.
P. 350.—Bishop Osbaldeston was buried at Hutton Bushel, in Yorkshire, where there is a monument to his memory (fn. 20).
P. 367–377.—To the tombs in the church add those of John Batchellor, merchant, 1766; John Ashurst, Esq. 1792; Samuel Lanclott Jarvis, Esq. "a distinguished officer in North America," aged 39, 1795; Elizabeth, widow of Philip Laurents, M. A. 1796; and in the churchyard that of the Rev. William Waring, M. A. 1796.
P. 412.—A. M. Elizabeth R. Du Parc, La Francesina, mentioned in this page as buried at Hammersmith, was in the early part of the century a celebrated singer. There is a print of her done by Faber in 1737, which is inscribed Lisabetta Du Parc, cognom. "Francesina."
P. 421.—The nunnery at Hammersmith has of late been occupied by some of the refugees driven from the continent by the late troubles. A convent from Louvaine settled there in 1794, but quitted it early in the next year: they were succeeded by the English Benedictine dames, who now inhabit it.
P. 439.—The fee of the manor of Stickleton Greenford is vested in General Craig; but the widow of the late James Craig, Esq. has a life interest in it. The manor house is now inhabited by the Rev. Mr. Dodd, who succeeded Dr. Glasse in the conduct of a seminary for private pupils, long since established at that place.
P. 443.—Among the most important benefactions to this place should be mentioned a well sunk in the village in 1791 for the benefit of the poor by Dr. Glasse, who laid pipes also to communicate with the house he now inhabits, and with Stickleton-house abovementioned.
P. 456, 496.—The manor house of King's-hold, or the King'splace, was undoubtedly that which is now called Brooke-house. It was reserved by Lord Brooke, when he sold the manor, for his own residence; and has continued ever since in his family, being now the property of the Earl of Warwick. The remainder of a long lease was assigned to the late Dr. Monro, and is now vested in his sons. The house is in the immediate tenure of Robert Jacob, Esq. The old part consists principally of an oblong quadrangle, round which are galleries; those on the north and south sides being 174 feet in length. It appears that the house was rebuilt, or perhaps the quadrangle only, by Lord Hunsdon, whose arms and quarterings, with those of his lady (fn. 21), and the crests of the two families (fn. 22), are frequently repeated upon the ceiling of the south gallery.
P. 478.—" Elizabeth Newcome, youngest daughter and last surviving child of the Rev. Peter Newcome, formerly vicar of this parish, was buried April 5, 1787, in the 93d year of her age (fn. 23)."
P. 526.—The munificent benefactor to the alms-houses at Hadley, was the late benevolent Samuel Whitbread, Esq.; who, in 1791, gave 250l., in 1793 the same sum, and in 1795 (after the account of that parish was printed) a further benefaction of 500l.: which sums, together with 10l. bequeathed by Mrs. Mary Horton in 1795, purchased 1639l. 5s. 10d. 3 per cent. consol., purchased in the names of the Rev. Charles Jeffryes Cottrell, Culling Smith, and other trustees. The Rev. David Garrow, (father of William Garrow, Esq. one of his Majesty's council,) who died in 1796, gave by will a sum of money (laid out in the purchase of 333l. 6s. 8d. 3 per cents.), the interest of which is to be thus appropriated: 6l. 10s. as a salary for the master of a Sunday school, to teach 20 boys; 2l. for a proper person to instruct the said boys, and such girls as the trustees (of whom the rector of Hadley is always to be one) shall recommend, in church music; and 1l. 10s. to be laid out in bread, books, or apparel, and given by the trustees as a reward to such of the boys as shall be most deserving. Mrs. Mary Horton bequeathed also 10l. (laid out in the purchase of 14l. 10s. 11d. O. S. S. A.) to the girls' school.
P. 528.—The water of Hampstead-wells is a transparent chalybeate; its property diuretic. An account of these wells was published by Dr. Soame in 1734 (fn. 24).
P. 536.—The house where Booth, Wilkes, and Cibber used to reside was at Frognall. It is now the parish work-house. In the year 1748, Dr. Johnson had lodgings at Hampstead, where he wrote the greater part, if not the whole, of his Imitation of the 10th Satire of Juvenal (fn. 25).
P. 541.—In the account of Mr. Pierce's benefaction, there is an omission of 10l. per annum to the Tabernacle, or Methodists' Meeting. This makes the whole 45l. per annum. The overplus of the money, over and above what was sufficient to establish the annual donations directed by his will, went (after defraying incidental expences) to his residuary legatee.
P. 553.—The inscription (fn. 26)on Mr. Anguish's tomb is as follows:—H. S. E. Quod mortale suit Thomæ Anguish Arm. S. S. R. et A. socii Cancellariæ Magistri et Protonumerarii: inter præclari nominis viros ad publicos Britanniæ sumptus indagandos comitiali decreto constituti: qui annum agens sexagesimum, cum naturæ et gloriæ satis vixisset, suis et rei publicæ, heu! parúm, repentino correptus morbo ad beatiora contendit die Decembris XXXI. A. D. MDCCLXXXV.—Abi benigne lector, haud vulgari laude prosequens hujusce præstantissimi viri pietatem ac fidem veré Christianam, amorem patriæ singularem; mirum et exquisitum ingenii acumen, simplicem morum elegantiam; quæque amicum, conjugem, parentem exornant, pulcherrimas virtutes."—Mr. Anguish's house at Hanwell is now the property and residence of William Baldwin, Esq. M. P.
HARROW ON THE HILL.
HARROW ON THE HILL.
P. 589.—It is a sixthpart only of the common fields which lies fallow. The fields are divided into two sets, one of which is cropped every year. In the other set the custom of fallowing every third year is continued.
P. 595. 1. 21.—It would perhaps be more correct to say, that the rectory of Hayes has been long considered as a sinecure; for I am informed that a suit in Chancery is now pending, the issue of which may determine it not to be a sinecure.
VOLUME THE THIRD.
P. 44.—Dalrymple, in his Memorials (fn. 27), mentions James the Second's measure of establishing and regulating a perpetual encampment of 1200 men on Hounslow-heath, as a means of rendering himself independent of his parliament. "He caressed, says he, the officers, he flattered the soldiers, and, in the plenitude of his joy, he could not refrain from carrying the Queen and the Princess to dine in the camp, and from descanting, in his letters to the Prince of Orange, on the beauty of his troops, not perhaps without a secret pleasure from the reflection that his exultation could give no great pleasure to the Prince."
P. 81.—On the heath between Whitton and Hownslow, in this parish, is a post commonly known by the name of the Bloody Post. It is thus inscribed on each of the four sides: "Buried here, with a stake drove through his body, the wicked murderer John Pretor, who cut the throats of his wife and child, and poisoned himself, July 6th, 1765." Underneath is a bloody hand grasping a knife.
P. 83.—Among the Gilbertines, also, the nuns and monks lived in separate cloisters under the same roof (fn. 28).
P. 85.—Agnes Jordan, who was abbess of Sion at the dissolution of that monastery, died in the month of January 1544-5, and was buried at Denham in Buckinghamshire, where there is an inscription to her memory, with her effigies on a brass plate.
P. 93.—It has been suggested to me, that Sir Nathaniel Duckenfield was only the occupier of the house formerly Sir Richard Wynne's, and that it is the property of his uncle, General Ward; but I have not had an opportunity of ascertaining the fact. This house was built by George Walkins in 1592, who soon afterwards granted it to Sir Francis Darcy, for the lives of himself and his Lady, and Lady Wynne, his daughter. Glover's survey of Isleworth, in 1653, describes two houses nearly adjoining; one of which is called Sir Francis Darcy's, the other Sir Richard Wynne's. They continued for a considerable time in the Wynne family. The house in which Sir Nathaniel Duckenfield lately lived is now in the tenure of the Earl of Glasgow.
P. 107.—The modusallotted to the vicar, in lieu of the small tithes of the Sion demesnes, was 101. The remainder (11. 7s. 4d.) is paid as a compensation for the tithes of a piece of ground added to the kitcher-garden, which was not parcel of the said demesnes.
P. 108. (note 118.) Mr. Grant published a reply to "the Petition of the Inhabitants of Isleworth," intitled, "the Vindication of the Vicar of Isleworth in the County of Middlesex, from a scandalous Pamphlet, containing 21 Articles, invented by some closely, subscribed unto but by six publickly, presented but by one openly, and now vented in Print surreptitiously (in the Name of the whole Parish) by a Nobody."—By William Grant, Vicar of Isleworth." 1641.
P. 122.—The sum of one pound per annum paid to the parish by Mr. Robinson is for the rent of a piece of land called Franklins, supposed to have been a benefaction of one of the Wynne family. The copper-mills mentioned by Norden were not those now employed on Hounslow-heath, but were situated where Mr. Hill's flour-mill now is, in the lane leading from Isleworth to Smallbury-green. The mills lately occupied by the corporation of the mines-royal were in Norden's time powder-mills. They are now occupied as a sail-cloth manufactory.
P. 136.—Sir Henry Paulet St. John Mildmay was the son of Sir Paulet St. John, Bart. He took the name of Mildmay in consequence of marrying Jane, daughter and coheir of Carew Mildmay, Esq. of Shawford. The estate at Newington-green was Alderman Halliday's, whose daughter and heir married Sir Henry Mildmay mentioned in the page here referred to; she preserved it therefore as being her own inheritance. The arms of Halliday were lately in the old mansion.
P. 161, 162.—A gentleman who has had the means of being accurately informed upon the subject has favoured me with the following particulars, which in some instances correct the account of the New River given in these pages, principally from the Biographia Britannica.
"The first act, empowering "the Lord Mayor, commonalty, and citizens of the city of London to form a new river," was intitled, An Act for the bringing in of a fresh stream of running Water to the North Part of the City of London. 3 Jac. cap. 18. This was followed by an act for explaining the said statute, 4 Jac. cap. 12. Hugh Middelton, goldsmith, made an offer to the Court of Common Council, on the 28th of March 1609, that he would begin this work within two months, they transferring to him the powers vested in them by the said two acts: whereupon the Court accepted his offer, and ordered that a letter of attorney should be made out from the Mayor and Common Council, (which was done the 1st of April following,) and that indentures should be made and passed between them and him; which was also done the 21st of the same month.
"The Company's charter is dated June 21, 1619 (fn. 29). The dividend for the year 1633, which is believed to have been the first, was 15l. 3s. 3d. at which time a call on the proprietors was expected. The dividend for the year 1794 was 431l. 5s. 8d.
"King Charles I. re-granted to Sir Hugh Middelton, Bart. his heirs and assigns, the moiety of the New River, which had been conveyed to his father King James, on condition that they should for ever pay to the King's Receiver-general, or into the receipt of the Exchequer for his Majesty's use, the yearly rent of 500l. which is still paid and almost entirely out of the King's shares (fn. 30)."
Maitland, in his History of London, says, that by an exact mensuration of the course of the river, taken by Henry Mill, surveyor to the Company in 1723, it appeared to be 38 miles, 3 quarters, and 16 poles in length.
P. 168.—Monro calls the water of Islington Spa a light chalybeate, and speaks of it as one of the best near London (fn. 31). It was formerly in much repute.
P. 171.—Monro, in his Treatise on Mineral Waters (fn. 32), speaks of a spring of a cathartic quality at Kensington,
P. 195.—Dr. Waller, late vicar of Kensington, died at Great Waltham in Essex, Nov. 10, 1795, in consequence of the bruises he received by the fall of a stack of chimnies during the high wind in the night of the 6th of the same month. He was succeeded in the vicarage of Kensington by Richard Ormerod, M. A.
An Act of Parliament passed in 1795, enabling the Bishop of London to grant a lease of the site and capital messuage of the manor of Paddington, with the demesne lands, to the present lessees and their heirs, for the term of 99 years, and his successors, at the end of 50 years, to renew the said lease for a fine of 20s. only, for a further term of 99 years, on the following conditions: that the ancient reserved rent of 43l. 6s. 8d. be paid to the Bishop and his successors; that a stipend of 120l. be paid to the curate of Paddington, instead of 80l. before payable; that 15l. per annum be paid to the parish in lieu of right of common on certain small parcels of waste included in the lease; and that after all these deductions, onethird of the rents, ground-rents, and increased profits of the lands so leased, (clear of taxes,) be appropriated to the Bishop of London and his successors. Powers are given by the said Act to make under leases (in which the Bishop of London for the time is to be a party) to builders.
P. 347.—Fitzroy-farm, the seat of Lord Southampton (lord of the manor of Totenhall, or Tottenham-court), situate at Highgate, within the parish of Pancras, has been rebuilt within a few years. The grounds are laid out with much taste, and the surrounding scenery is extremely picturesque. In the house are portraits of Henry, the first Duke of Grafton; George Earl of Euston; Charles Duke of Grafton (grandfather of the present Duke, and of Lord Southampton), and the late Countess of Abingdon, by Angelica Kauffman. The farm, which his Lordship keeps in his own hands, consists of about 100 acres.
P. 381.—The water of Bagnigge-wells is impregnated with sea salt, and a bitter salt of a cathartic quality, blended. Near it is a chalybeate spring. The water of Pancras-wells is a mild cathartic. It is clear and almost tasteless, impregnated with a calcareous glauber, and a small portion of sea salt (fn. 33).
P. 389.—Monro says, that the water of Shadwell Spa is more strongly impregnated with vitriol than any hitherto discovered in England. It is more commonly used, he says, externally than internally. When taken internally it operates both as a cathartic and emetic (fn. 34).
P. 392.—In a collection of drawings, formerly belonging to Smart Lethieullier, Esq. and now in the library of the Earl of Orford at Strawberry Hill, are figures of two antique bronzes, the one representing a small lion, the other the head of an Apollo, found several years ago on the estate of Mr. West near Brockley-hill.
P. 394.—Lady A. C. Brydges was married in May 1796, to Earl Temple, eldest son of the Marquis of Buckingham. The same ob servation is necessary also for p. 406, in Stanmore Parva, and p. 629, note 69, in Wilsdon.
P. 418.—Hackney is not now to be reckoned among the boundaries of Stepney; since the separation of Stratford-Bow and Bethnal Green, those parishes intervene. The general description of the parish of Stepney is more applicable also to its former state, although the parishes of St. George in the East, and Shadwell, have a very small portion of land, except what is occupied by buildings.
P. 429.—Sir John Berry was knighted at the battle of Solebay in 1672. In 1680, he was made Rear-Admiral of the fleet; in 1684, Commissioner of the Navy. After the landing of King William, he had the chief command of the fleet. His death is said to have been attended by some mysterious circumstances, and it was suspected from the appearance of his body when opened, that he had been poisoned: but nothing ever transpired to justify the suspicion, nor was it easy to account for so horrid an action, or who could have been the authors of it (fn. 35).
P. 434.—The two following epitaphs are printed in N° 518 of the Spectator, having been communicated by a correspondent, who introduces them thus: "They are written in a different manner; the first being in the diffused and luxuriant, the second, in the close and contracted stile; the first has much of the simple and pathetic, the second is something light and nervous."
Here Thomas Saffin (fn. 36)lies interr'd, ah why ?
Born in New England, did in London die;
Was the third son of eight, begat upon
His mother Martha, by his father John;
Much favour'd by his Prince he 'gan to be,
But nipt by death at the age of twenty-three.
Fatal to him was that we small-pox name,
By which his mother and two brethren came
Also to breathe their last, nine years before;
And now have left their father to deplore
The loss of all his children, with that wife
Who was the joy and comfort of his life."
The latter is not now to be seen; but Saffin's tomb still remains, and the epitaph is legible. Dr. Johnson's observation, upon reading the second line of this epitaph, was, "I do not wonder at this; it wouldhave been strange if, born in London, he had died in New England (fn. 37)."
P. 444.—The Rev. Samuel Brewer, who had been fifty years pastor of the independent meeting-house at Stepney, died June 11, 1796. I have been informed on good authority, since the last volume was printed, that his only publication was a sermon preached at the funeral of the Rev. Mr. Hitchin. Mr. Brewer was succeeded at Stepney by the Rev. George Ford.
P. 449.—The writer of Lord Clarendon's Life (fn. 38), says, that "the plague had swept away so many seamen, (Stepney, and the places adjacent, which were their common habitation (fn. 39), being almost depopulated,) that there seemed an impossibility to procure sailors enough to set out the fleet."
P. 451.—It appears that the conjecture in note137 is erroneous; Sir Thomas Bluddermentioned in this page, was knighted at Chatham in 1604 (fn. 40): he presided for some time over the victualling department in the Navy (fn. 41); and dying in 1618, was buried at Ryegate in Surrey. He married Mary, daughter of Christopher Herris, Esq. of Shenvils in Essex. His daughter Mary's marriage with Sir Roger Nevinson is mentioned in his epitaph (fn. 42).
P. 467.—The breach mentioned in this page, was within the Bishop's manor of Stebbenheth; but not within Stebbenheth marsh. It was between St. Katherine's and Shadwell (fn. 43).
P. 492. Chaucer, in his prologue to the Canterbury Tales, mentions Stratford Bow as a place where the French language was
taught (fn. 44).
"—French she spake full fayre and fetisly,
After the scole of Stratford atte Bowe,
For French of Paris was to hire unknowe."
P. 528. 537.—Stephen Jermyn, Esq. died in the month of February 1796; when Pembrokes-house, being a freehold, devolved on George Tyson, Esq. and the rectory of Tottenham, being a leasehold estate, was inherited by Mrs. Mary Udney, and Harriot, wife of JamesEyre, Esq.
P. 559.—A corning-house, for graining gunpowder, belonging to Mr. Hill, has had the singular ill-fortune to be thrice blown up in the year 1796; in the months of January, July, and November. By the three explosions fourteen lives were lost.
P. 593.—John Lord Berkeley was successful in an expedition against St. Maloes and Granville, in 1695, and in some other offensive operations against the enemy. There is scarcely an instance in the annals of naval history, of any other officer who attained such high rank so early in life. He was only 34 years of age when he died, yet he had been eight years an admiral (fn. 45).
P. 594, note139.—Kenneth Lord Duffus, on the 27th of June 1711, (having the command of a frigate mounting 46 guns,) maintained a most desperate engagement for some hours with eight French privateers. At length, having received five balls in his body, his ship was taken by the enemy. After his attainder (for being concerned in the rebellion of 1715), he became a flag-officer in the Russian fleet (fn. 46).
P. 613.—By a MS. (fn. 47)in the library of Thomas Astle, Esq. F.R.A.S. at Battersea Rise, it appears that the quitrents due to the manor of Neasdon, as stated in a rental of that manor, dated 1510, amounted to 2l. 18s. 4½d. per annum. In the year 1624, Thomas Wilson, prebendary of Neasdon, leased the prebendal manor (fn. 48), to which a court-baron, with a view of frank-pledge is stated to have belonged, to Francis Roberts, Esq. his executors and assigns, for the term of 21 years, and at the yearly rent of 2l. 13s. 9d. There is a clause in this lease, by which the tenant covenants to repair all bridges within the prebend, which had usually been "upholden, repaired, maintained, or amended, by the prebendaries of Neasdon."
The capital messuage at Neasdon, formerly belonging to the Roberts's, was called Catwoods, from John Attewode, it is supposed, who was the proprietor of its site in the reign of Richard the First. His descendant of the same name, described as John Attewode of Neasdon, in the year 1403, sold all his lands in the parish of Wilsdon to John Roberds, or Roberts, whose great-grandson Thomas Roberts built Neasdon-house on the site of Catwoods, in the reign of Henry VIII. It was enlarged by Francis Roberts, Esq. in the reign of Queen Elizabeth; and again by Sir William Roberts, about the year 1650. This Sir William afterwards inclosed about two acres of the waste belonging to the prebend of Neasdon, for which his son, Sir William Roberts, Bart. paid an annual rent, after the Restoration, to the prebendary.
In the year 1295, John de Middleton, citizen and draper of London, purchased of William de Bredestrete, and others, a messuage, a mill, 203 acres of land, three acres of meadow, two acres of wood, and 6s. rents, in Wilsdon and Hendon; which estate, increased by subsequent purchases, was called afterwards the manor of Middletons; and is supposed to have passed to Robert Curson and William Benyngton, as coheirs, by marriage, of William de Middleton, heir of John above mentioned. Robert Curson, having purchased the other moiety for an annuity of eight marks, became possessed of the whole. Robert Curson the younger, clerk, built a mansion upon this estate, and called it Bedewell-hall. He was succeeded in the possession of the manor of Middletons by John Gloucester, clerk of the King's Exchequer, whose daughter and heir, Joan, married, first, John Staunton, Gent.; and afterwards Thomas Barlee, Gent. From the latter this manor descended to Richard Barlee, Esq. who, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, sold it to Edmund Roberts, Esq. It continued in the family of Roberts till the beginning of this century. I have not been able to learn who is the present proprietor.