The Environs of London: Volume 4, Counties of Herts, Essex and Kent. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1796.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
VOLUME THE FOURTH.
P. 10.—The mansion mentioned in this page was purchased by Mr. Trevor, in 1732, of John Moore, Gent. Richard Trevor, Lord Bishop of St. David's (devisee of the real estates of Thomas Trevor, Esq. deceased), Arabella and Harriot Montagu, spinsters, (nieces and residuary devisees of the said Mr. Trevor), and others, conveyed it, in 1744, to John Thomlinson, Esq. It does not appear by the title-deeds (fn. 1)that Lord Binning was ever the proprietor. He resided there several years.
P. 56.—Since the account of this parish was written, I have seen a small pamphlet called "the Origin of Fairlop Fair, annually held round the great Oak on Hainault Forest in Essex, on the first Friday in July; with an Account of the Founder Mr. Daniel Day."—The author informs us that Mr. Day, (who was a block and pump-maker in the parish of St. John, Wapping,) had a small estate near Fairlop-oak, whither he used to repair annually on the first Friday in July; when it was his custom to invite a select party of his neighbours to accompany him and dine under the shade of the oak on beans and bacon. In the course of a few years, other parties were formed on Mr. Day's anniversary, and sutlingbooths erected for their accommodation; these increasing progressively, booths were erected also by persons who brought various articles for sale; and, about the year 1725, the place began to exhibit the appearance of a regular fair. Mr. Day continued to resort annually to his favourite spot, as long as he lived; and, in memory of its origin, never failed to provide on the day of the fair several sacks of beans, with a proportionate quantity of bacon, which he distributed, from the trunk of the tree, to the persons there assembled. For several years before Mr. Day's death, the pump and blockmakers of Wapping, to the number of about thirty or forty, went annually to the fair, in a boat made of one piece of entire fir, covered with an awning, mounted on a coach-carriage, and drawn by six horses, attended with flags and streamers, a band of music, and a great number of persons, both on foot and on horseback. This custom is still continued. A few years before Mr. Day died, his favourite oak lost a large limb, out of which he procured a coffin to be made for his own interment. His death happened on the 19th of October 1767, at the age of 84. His remains were conveyed to Barking by water, pursuant to his own request (fn. 2), accompanied by six journeymen pump and block-makers, to each of whom he bequeathed a new leathern apron and a guinea. There is a tombstone in the churchyard at Barking to his memory, and another to that of his sister, Mrs. Sarah Killick, who died in 1782, in the 93d year of her age.
P. 70.—The site of Barking Abbey was sold, in 1631, by Matthew Stilte, citizen of London, to William Fanshaw, Esq. and continued for several generations in that family. An estate called Cricklewood, situated near the eight mile-stone on the Rumford road, has passed with it (fn. 3).
P. 79.—The manor or farm of Wythefield, otherwiseWythfield, otherwiseWyfield, containing 202 acres, (which had been purchased by Dr. Bamber of John Brewster,) was sold pursuant to an Act of Parliament, in 1767, to Charles, afterwards Sir Charles Raymond. Since the account of this estate, in p. 79, was printed, I have been informed that it was not sold with Cranbrook to Mr. Moffat, but continued to be the property of Sir Charles Raymond till his death, and was purchased of his representatives, by Donald Cameron, Esq. who is the present proprietor. A mansion called, in old writings, Rayfieldhouse, the site, I suppose, of the estate mentioned in p. 85 of this volume, as Ray-house (fn. 4), diddescend with Cranbrook, and was included in Mr. Raikes's late purchase. It is now called Wyfieldhouse, which led to the mistake.
P. 84, 85.—Lady Montagu, widow of Sir Charles, was in possession of the manor of Cranbrook in 1630 (fn. 5). Lady Boreman enjoyed this manor till her death, in 1700, when her residuary legatees, Henry Gibbs and Henry Davies, took possession, on account of a large debt due for the arrears of her jointure. In 1721, Mary Townson, the heir at law, under a decree of Chancery, foreclosed her right and equity of redemption. In 1730, a partition of the estate was made between Davies and Gibbs. In 1757, Samuel Wade, the devisee of Davies, sold his share to Charles Raymond, Esq. (afterwards a baronet). The purchase was confirmed by Mr. Lethieullier, who had bought the perpetuity of Mrs. Townson, but never was in possession. Thomas Spencer, assignee of Gibbs, aliened the other share to Mr. Raymond in 1760. This alienation was never con firmed by the Lethieullier family till 1796, when Robert Raikes, Esq. purchased the manor of Cranbrook of Andrew Moffat Mills, Esq. and Gibbs's share was confirmed to him by Mary wife of Edward Hulse, Esq. (niece and heir of Smart Lethieullier, Esq.) (fn. 6)
P. 88.—Little Geries and Fulham-hatch, the same, it is probable, which was formerly called Fulwell-hatch (see p. 88.), seem to have descended with Wyfield, and were sold under the same Act. The purchaser was Philip Jacob Lord Rhynwick. In 1781, they were inherited by his grandson, Critoffel Van Denburgh of Great Geries, who, in p. 88, is erroneously called Vandeburgh.
P. 110.—The following epitaph, formerly in the chapel at Ilford, is printed in the second volume of Mr. Gough's Sepulchral Monuments (fn. 7).
"Here lyeth the body of Sir John Smyth, fu[?] tyme maister of this place, a good householder, a syne man, large in almys, he did worshyp to all his kynne, all the feloship was the meryer that SrJohn Smyth was ynne. I pry to God have mercy on his soule, and all christen. He passed to God the 11th day of Noveber in the yere of grace A. MCCCCLXXV.—For charite say a pat nostrand av."
— The first mentioned coat in note218 is that of Mr. Allen, who was owner of the Hospital after Lord Dromore. Mrs. Waldron, widow of Christopher, rebuilt the alms-houses, and repaired the chapel, in 1719 (fn. 8).
P. 114.—Henry Jackson, Esq. was lord of the manor of Barringtons in 1634 (fn. 9).
P. 125.—Sir Joseph Jordan was a naval officer of great gallantry. He was knighted in 1665, after the engagement with the Dutch fleet, in which the command of Sir John Lawson's ship was entrusted to him after that officer was wounded. Sir Joseph Jordan was about the same time made Rear-Admiral of the White (fn. 10).
P. 139.—Sir Thomas Draper (then Thomas Draper,) Esq. had the manor of Eastham-hall as early as 1670. It was sold, in 1764, by his grandson, Thomas Draper Baber, Esq. to the present proprietor (fn. 11).
P. 141.—The form of Eastham church (the ground plan of which resembles that of Dunwich in Suffolk, engraved in the 12th volume of the Archæologia, pl. xxxvii.) denotes it to be of great antiquity, since it consists, like the churches of the Primitive Christians, (most of which were formed out of Pagan temples or basilicæ,) of a sanctuary, the walls of which are semi-circular, a temple and ante-temple, which we now call the nave.
P. 187.—Queen Elizabeth, in 1602, granted to Sir George Hervey of Marks, the right of cutting twelve loads of forest wood; twelve loads of rushes, a buck, and a doe, yearly, and freewarren in his manor of Marks, in lieu of an extensive sheepwalk in the forest (fn. 12). King James, in 1614, granted to Sir Gawen Hervey, and his successors, lords of the manor of Marks, " a good fat buck, and "a good fat doe," yearly, for ever, out of Hainault forest (fn. 13). A Court leet and Court baron were claimed for this manor in the year 1634 (fn. 14).
P. 190.—In 1652, the manor of Reden-court was the property of William Commins, Gent. who, it is probable, purchased it of the heirs of Sir Edward Cooke. It was afterwards the property of Sir Thomas Webster, Bart. by whom it was sold to John Hopkins, Esq. (fn. 15).
P. 223.—Sir William Batten had been a naval officer under the Parliament, and was made by them Vice-Admiral of the fleet, but at length quitted their service in disgust, and carried over the Constant Warwick, one of their finest ships, to Prince Charles in France (fn. 16). Sir William Batten's widow appears to have been married at Battersea, in 1671, to a foreigner called, in the register, Lord Leyonberg (fn. 17). Lady Leigbenbergwas buried at Walthamstow in 1681 (fn. 18).
Dr. Bradley, the celebrated astronomer, resided at Wansted in 1727, in which year a zenith sector, constructed by Graham, was put up for him there. It was from his first year's observations with this instrument, that he made his well known discovery of the apparent motion of the fixed stars, called the aberration of light (fn. 19).
P. 251.—The lease of the manor of Westham was assigned, in 1754, by Azariah Pinney to Francis Smart, Esq. by the latter, in 1764, to Mr. Brown, and by Mr. Brown, the same year, to Sir John Henniker, Bart. (fn. 20)Lands in this manor descend according to the custom of gavelkind.
P. 254.—Sir Robert Wiseman was possessed of the manor of Chobhams in 1630 (fn. 21). The daughter and heir of John Hiett, Esq. (grandson of John Hiett, who died in 1719), married John Crewe, Esq. of Bolesworth Castle in Cheshire, by whom this manor was sold to Mr. Allen, a calico printer, who occupied the premises. Mr. and Mrs. Crewe joined with Allen in a conveyance to Sir John Henniker in 1782 (fn. 22).
P. 264.—It appears by the proceedings of the Committees (fn. 23)during the government of the Commonwealth, that Sir Harbottle Grimston was ordered to give in an account of the tithes of Westham, conveyed by Thomas Fanshaw, Esq. of Jenkins.
P. 265.—John Smith, vicar of Westham, published, in 1704, The Judgment of God upon Atheism and Infidelity in a brief and true account of the irreligious life and miserable death of Mr. George Edwards of Stratford, who murdered himself Jan. 4, 1703–4."
P. 283.—Mr. Warner's work, intitled, Plantæ Woodfordienses, was not published, the copies being only given to friends.—L. 5. instead of mentioned in the Spectator, read somewhere mentioned by Addison or Steele (fn. 24).
DEPTFORD ST. NICHOLAS.
P. 367.—By the following expression in the epitaph of John Hughes, "Sacerdotii dignitatem scriptis strenuè asseruit," I suppose him to be the Mr. Hughes who in 1711 wrote a preliminary differtation to St. Chrysostom, De Sacerdotio, wherein the authority of the church is explained as distinguished from that of the state. It is annexed to Hickes " on the Dignity of the Christian Priesthood," edit. 1711.
DEPTFORD ST. PAUL'S.
P. 388.—It has been already mentioned (fn. 25), that Mr. Way's estate consists only of lands formerly parcel of the manor of Deptford Strond. The site of the manor, (which lies in this parish between the upper and lower road to Greenwich,) with the whole of the estate, (except the Camberwell part, now Mr. Way's,) continued in the Trapps family till it was sold, with Bermondsey, to Mr. Hambly (fn. 26). It is now the property of the Rev. Peter Hambly. This I suppose to be the same estate of which Roger Mortimer Earl of March died seised in 1399 (fn. 27), being described as a manor in West Greenwich, called le Stronde. The manor of West Greenwich was then in the family of Say. From the Earl of March the Strondedescended to King Edward IV. (fn. 28), and thus became vested in the crown.
Henry, son of Luce de Estetone, and Maurice his brother, (by a deed without date,) granted certain lands, rents, &c. in West Greenwich, to Thedred son of Richard (fn. 29). In 1342 John, Alexander, and Hugh de Grenwiz, sons of Alexander Thedred, quitted all claim in these lands to Ralph Nunthey (or Nonthey) of Halsted, and Sarah his wife (fn. 30). William de Blackstan in 1317 conveyed to Robert Ilger certain lands, rents, and services in Deptford, Rotherhithe, and Peckham (fn. 31). This estate passed in 1328 to Thomas de Houton; afterwards to Richard Lacer, and from him in 1342 to Ralph Nonthey (fn. 32), who in 1349 conveyed a mansion called Skinner's Place, 40 acres of land, with certain rents and services in West Greenwich, to William Bishop of Winchester, and others (fn. 33), who the same year conveyed them to the Hospital of St. Thomas the Martyr. This estate (of which some mention is made in p. 388.) is supposed to be included in Sir Frederic Evelyn's.
P. 396.—The manor of Eltham was leased in 1628 to Henry, Earl of St. Alban's, and others, in trust for Queen Henrietta Maria. In 1665 an assignment was made by the Queen Dowager's trustees to Robert Shaw, and others, in trust (it is probable) for Sir John Shaw. King Charles II. in 1673 granted a lease of this manor to trustees for the use of his consort, Queen Caroline. This lease also was assigned to Sir John Shaw (in 1679) (fn. 34).
P. 403.—Dr. James Sherard was, for many years, an apothecary in Mark-lane, where he occasionally made a public exhibition of scarce plants. In the latter part of his life he retired to Eltham, where he died in 1738, being worth, as it is said, 150,000l. He was buried at Evington in Leicestershire, where there is a monument to his memory. His elder brother, William Sherard, LL.D. was fellow of All Souls College, and from 1704 till 1715 consul at Smyrna. During his travels in Asia he collected a great number of ancient inscriptions, published by Edmund Chishull, vicar of Walthamstow, who was chaplain to the same factory. Dr. Sherard in his lifetime gave 500l. to the Physic garden at Oxford; and by his will bequeathed the sum of 3000l. for the support of a botanical professorship, appointing Dillenius the first professor. He gave also to the library at the Physic garden all his books of natural history; his drawings and dried plants (fn. 35). Dr. William Sherard was buried at Eltham, August 19, 1728.
P. 419.—It was on May-day, 1515, that King Henry VIII. and Queen Katherine visited Shooter's-hill: an account of the entertain ment given to their Majesties by Robinhood and his men, with a description of the pageants, may be found in Holinshed's Chronicle (fn. 36).
P. 431.—A solemn Christmas was kept at Greenwich in 1518, at which were present three Queens; Katherine of Arragon; Margaret Queen of Scots, the King's aunt; and his sister Mary, Queen of France (fn. 37).
——In the year 1512 "the Lady Muryol Vicountesse Lysle, wiff to Syr Thomas Knevet, and seconde daughter to therle of Surrey, Thomas Lord Trezorer, and Maryshall of England,"—the previous funeral ceremonies of dirige, requiem, &c. having been performed in Lambeth church, (in which parish she died,) was buried in the friars church at Greenwich, her corpse having been conveyed thither in the following manner: "All the nobles and other mourners who attended the funeral, having partaken of a right sumptueux dyner at the Lord Trezorer, her fadyrs place at Lambeth, retourned to the churche, wher the corps laye, wiche was alwayes accompaned with gentilwomen and certein yemen. Thabbot of Westmester revested hym in the revestry, and in pontificalibuspreceded the corps to the barge, wiche was covered with black and with a whit crosse; in the wiche barge was the morners, the abbot, mynestres, and officiers of arms, and twelve staff torches about the corps.
"Item, in another barge wer the lords, knyghts (fn. 38), and gentilmen, and certein gentilwomen, havyng lyvere and servints.
"Item, in the thirde barge, covered alsoo with black, were 60 poore men, havyng black gownes wthhoddes, beryng 60 torches, wiche brent contynually from Lambith tyll she was buryed; and in the same barge were certein gentilmen, servintz, and in this ordre landed at the Fryres steyres at Greenwich, were taryed her comyng, the father and the other fryres of that place, and so went thorough the churchyerd that the qwene and the ladyes myght see them, and soo conveyed into the churche, and the mynystres saying immediatly the service of burying, for dirige was doon before.
"The abbot of Westmester dyd the servyce, the fadyr of the place beyng to hym assistant, the lordes and certein gentilmen taryed the burying, and after went to the said hows of Master Ryseley, wher they had lyke dyet, and this manner was buryed the said noble Lady (fn. 39)."
P. 469.—After Anthony William Boehm delethe words a refugee. Mr. Boehm, who was a native of Oestorff near Pyrmont, came to England in 1701, and, settling in London, established a German school in Bedfordbury: in 1705, he was made chaplain to Prince George of Denmark (whose funeral sermon he published), and reader of the German chapel at St. James's. He was author of a volume of discourses and tracts; plain Directions for reading the Bible; numerous religious treatises in English and German: he published also several translations from the German, and was editor of other works. He died at the house of his friend Dr. Slare at Greenwich, and was interred in the burial ground (fn. 40)at that place. Some memoirs of him were published, in 1735, by J. C. Jacobi, from the German of Rambach.
P. 470.—Frederic Slare, M. D. (fn. 41), was author of Observations on Bezoar Stones and Sugar, 1715. This work was attacked in a pamphlet intitled, "A nice Cut for the Demolisher, or Dr. Slare's Experiments on the Bezoar, &c. ripp'd up." Dr. Slare wrote also on the Pyrmont waters, 1717.
P. 485–488.—The revenues of Queen Elizabeth's College, in 1744, and those of Sir William Boreman's school, in 1709 and 1774, are given, from papers in the vestry clerk's office at Greenwich; what the present revenues are, is not known to the parish (fn. 42); nor would the Drapers' Company inform me.
P. 505, note18.—Upon a reference to the graduate book of the University of Cambridge, it does not appear that Mr. Pate ever had the degree of LL.B. as mentioned in this note on the authority of the life of Bowyer.
P. 518.—The manor of Billingham was sold, in 1584, by Emery, son and heir of John Rochester, by his wife Philippa, to John Leigh; who, in 1598, aliened it to James Altham, Esq. A daughter of Sir James Altham, having married — Stidolfe, brought it into that family. Sir Richard Stidolfe, by his will, bearing date 1676, bequeathed his estates between his two daughters, Margaret, the wife of James Tryon, Esq. and Frances, married to Jacob Lord Astley. Frances Lady Astley left her estates to her nephew Charles Tryon, Esq. in whom the whole being vested, he sold it, in 1724, to Thomas Inwen, Esq. father of Lady Falkland (fn. 43).
P. 519.—Near the church is a large mansion built by Sir John Lethieullier in 1680, now the property of Mr. Richard Wright, and occupied as a school. The coat impaled by Petrie in note 39, is that of Keble.
P. 540, 541.—By an application to the Company of Clothworkers, at a committee, held since the account of this parish was printed, I was in hopes of ascertaining when the Company be came possessed of the manor of Bostall, and whether they were possessed also of the estate formerly belonging to the Hospital of Acon, which, for a considerable time, passed with Bostall, but on neither of these subjects would they indulge me with any information. Bostall is vested in them as trustees, I presume, for some charity, but for what charity I could not learn.
P. 541.—Plumstead-park-farm was purchased by Richard Bowzer, Esq. of William Coltman, Esq. who bought it of Mr. Curtis (fn. 44). It is not improbable that thisis the estate which belonged to the Hospital of St. Thomas of Acon, but it appears, from Mr. Bowzer's communications, that his title-deeds are not of sufficient antiquity to ascertain it.
P. 560.—Philipott is right in his account of the manor of Woolwich having been purchased of the Boughtons by the Heywoods, or Haywoodes. It does not appear that it ever was in the family of Heydon. Sir Edward Boughton sold the manor of Woolwich, in 1555, to Richard Haywoode. It was aliened by Christopher Haywoode, in 1580, to Richard Patrick. Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Thomas Gilbourne, married St. Leger Scrope, Esq. who sold this manor, in 1692, to Richard Bowater the elder, and Richard Bowater the younger (fn. 45). It is now the property of JohnBowater, Esq.; and the manor-house is in the occupationof his brother, Captain EdwardBowater.
P. 566.—The alms-houses at Woolwich were built by Sir Martin Bowes, in his lifetime, in what year is uncertain. By a will, bearing date Sep. 20, 1562 (fn. 46), he gave to the wardens and commonalty of the mystery of Goldsmiths in London, certain lands and tenements; charged, among various other charities, with the payment of 7l. 12s. 1d. to the five poor folk in his alms-houses (fn. 47); 6s. 8d. to the minister for a sermon at a visitation of the alms-houses by the Company, which he directs shall take place annually between Midsummer and Michaelmas; and to the priest-clerk, and to other poor people of the parish, 7s. 11d. By his indenture, bearing date Sep. 20, 1565, he vested the said alms-houses in certain feoffees (being of the Goldsmiths' Company), and their heirs, appointing them to be for the free habitation of five poor inhabitants and parishioners of Woolwich, of the age of 50 years and upwards (fn. 48).