The Environs of London: Volume 4, Counties of Herts, Essex and Kent. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1796.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
FARTHER ADDITIONS to VOLUME I.
A descriptive account of Dr. Lettsom's house and gardens at Grove-hill, in this parish, has been published in a small pamphlet under the title of "Grove-hill, a Horticultural Sketch." The gardens contain a large and valuable collection of European and American plants. In the house, among other curiosities, are several models, in cork, of ancient buildings, by Dubourg. The pamphlet is embellished with four plates.
P. 581 (of this volume).—Thomas Crimes, or Grimes, is in Bromley's Catalogue called "a poet," but there seems not to be sufficient authority for it. The print which is in Sir William Musgrave's collection contains all that is known of him. Over his head is a laurel wreath with this inscription, Nondum merui, which at most intimates a promise of poetical talents.
P. 139.—East Cheam-house, which was devised by Lady Stourton to Lord Petre, and afterwards sold to Philip Antrobus, Esq. has been pulled down, and a new house erected near the road leading from Sutton to Epsom.
P. 564.—The Rev. Mr. Sanxay, mentioned in this page, established a school at Cheam, which has continued more than a century. It was some time since conducted by the Rev. Mr. Gilpin, (author of Lectures on the Church Catechism; some well-known tours; and "Remarks on Forest Scenery,") and now by his son, the Rev. William Gilpin.
KINGSTON UPON THAMES.
P. 254. 256.—The present annual revenue of the grammarschool is 120l. the revenue of the alms-houses, founded by William Cleave, Esq. for six poor men and six poor women, is 206l. 15s.; which will some time hence be farther augmented by a reversionary benefaction of 1000l. 3 per cent. consol. left by Thomas Tilsley, lately deceased.
|Date.||Donors' Names.||Nature and present yearly Value.||Use.|
|1524.||John Price,||1l. (rent-charge),||Poor.|
|1599.||Robert Norton,||1l. (rent-charge),||Poor.|
|1608.||John Hartop, Esq.||6l. (rent-charge),||Bread.|
|1618.||Edward Buckland,||30l. (a wharf at Kingston),||To buy coals to be retailed to the poor at a low price.|
|1624.||Henry Smith,||106l. (rent-char. fee-farm rents, and int. of mon.),||To employ the poor, apprentice children, &c.|
|1633.||Mark Snelling,||38l. (lands),||6l, in bread, and 6l. in money to poor widows, the remainder in coals to the poor.|
|1636.||King Charles I.||5l. (rent-charge),||Poor.|
|1638.||Thomas Tyffin,||41l. 10s. (lands, and interest of money),||Education and apprenticing of children.|
|1648.||Elizabeth Brown,||48l. (house in Fleet-street),||Education of children.|
|1654.||Edward Hurst, Esq.||61. (rent-charge),||Poor widows.|
|1670.||John Dolling,||4l. 15s. (land),||Poor.|
|1710.||Nicholas Hardinge,||38l. 5s. (fee-farm-rents (fn. 1)),||Education and apprenticing of children.|
|1717.||William Belitha, Esq.||15l. (interest of money),||Education of poor girls.|
|1789.||Pet. Huguetan Van Vryhouven Lord Vryhouven,||6l. (interest of money),||Poor in the workhouse.|
|Unkn.||The Countess of Dover,||5l. 4s. (rent-charge),||Bread.|
P. 595 (of this volume).—The conjecture in this page is corroborated by Lord Orford's Anecdotes of Painting, vol. iii. p. 71. where it appears that Dr. Tillotson sat to Mrs. Beale in 1672, for Colonel Strangeways. It is more probable therefore that the picture at Lambeth should have been painted about the same time, than that it should have been done twenty years afterwards, when Dr. Tillotson was Archbishop. Knight-hill, the seat of Lord Thurlow, is in this parish.
FARTHER ADDITIONS to VOLUME II.
P. 148.—Chelsea-park was purchased of the Duke of Wharton's representatives by the elder brother of Sir Hans Sloane, and is now the property of his grandson Hans Sloane, Esq. M. P. The house has been long pulled down. At the eastern extremity of the park, near Little Chelsea, is a modern house, built, and for a considerable time inhabited, by the late eminent surgeon William Bromfield, Esq. It is now in the occupation of Lady Anne Simpson, as under-tenant to John Groves, Esq. who is lessee under Mr. Sloane.
In the British Museum is a rare print, by Hollar, of a hollow tree at Hampstead, measuring 28 feet in girth, having a staircase within it, and a turret on the top. It is not mentioned in Vertue's Catalogue, but (except in the measure of the girth) it exactly resembles the print of a tree at Langley, which is there described.
FARTHER ADDITIONS to VOLUME III.
There is another charter of Queen Elizabeth (fn. 2), of a date prior to that spoken of in the account of Sir Roger Cholmeley's "free grammar-school" at Highgate, p. 64, 65. By this charter the nomination and appointment of the schoolmaster are, in the first instance, vested in Sir Roger Cholmeley's heirs, and, on their failing to appoint within twomonths, the governors, with the advice and consentof the Bishop of London, are to appoint. Sir Roger Cholmeley's heirs and the governors, jointly, are to make statutes. All the revenues then belonging to the institution, together with all future benefactions, are directed to be appropriated solely to the maintenance of a master, and to the relief of the poor.
The ordinances of 1571 direct that the schoolmaster shall be a graduate of good, fober, and honest conversation, and no light person," and that he shall "teach and instruct young children their A, B, C, and other English books, and to write, and also the grammar as they shall grow up thereto, and that without taking any money or other reward for the same, other than as hereafter is expressed;" that is 4d. (fn. 3)at the admission of each child into the school, and 4d. for books.
The schoolmaster's office also is to read morning and evening prayers, at the chapel, on Sundays, (except on the first Sunday in each month, when the inhabitants are to repair to their respective parish churches,) morning prayers on Wednesdays and Fridays, and evening prayers on Saturdays, and on the vigils of all festivals. He must not serve nor take any cure elsewhere, nor must he be absent above ten days in the year, and that not without urgent cause.
The master's salary was fixed by the said ordinances at 10l. per annum, besides a house rent-free, and kept in repair, a garden, and orchard, two acres of land, then lately inclosed out of Highgate common, and eight loads of fuel out of Hornsey woods (fn. 4)(granted by the Bishop of London).
The master was bound in a penalty of 20l. to observe the abovementioned ordinances; and it was farther provided that if he should infringe them, having been thrice warned by the governors, he should be expelled.
In 1681, the master's salary was 28l.; in 1698, 30l.; in 1762, 100l. (besides 10l. as reader, left by the will of Edward Pauncefort, Esq. in 1748). It has been lately raised again, and the master now receives about 140l. per annum. I have been favoured (fn. 5)with the following account of the lands and monies vested in the Governors of Highgate-school at that period, with their produce.
|Date.||Donors' Names.||Description.||Value in 1762.|
|1562.||The Founder,||Messuages in the parish of St. Martin, Ludgate, and St. Michael, Crooked-lane,||40l. per annum (let at 10l. 13s. 4d. per annum in 1562).|
|Lands at Highgate,||98l. 10s. per annum.|
|1580.||John Dudley, Esq.||A rent-charge on tenements in Stoke Newington,||2l. per annum.|
|1587.||Jasper Cholmeley, Esq.||A rent-charge (fn. 6)on the manor of Renters in Hendon,||2l. 6s. 8d. per annum.|
|1637.||William Platt, Esq.||A rent-charge on a house at Kentish Town,||10l. per annum.|
In a terrier of the school, dated July 11, 1565, the chapel is described as a chapel at Highgate, commonly called Highgate chapel, which seems to imply that it had then been some time built. In the ordinances of 1571, it is spoken of as having been erected by the founder(which must mean Sir Roger Cholmeley), as a chapel of ease for the inhabitants of Highgate. This affords an additional proof that the inscription on the front of the chapel is erroneous.
P. 511.—The ancient parish register has been lately found. The entries of baptisms begin in 1558, and continue till 1681; the burials begin in 1555, and are continued till 1680; the marriages begin in 1560, and are continued till 1676. The only entries of note are the following:
"The Rite onnered Lord Bridgman (fn. 7)was bured the 3dof July 1674."
The manor of Bellingham held by the convent of Stratford Langthorne, under the monks of Canterbury, (fee p. 247 of this Volume, in the note,) was Billinghamin Lewisham. In the bailiffs' accounts, after the dissolution of the said convent, it is called the manor of Lewisham, (see p. 246, note,) which led me to suppose that Billingbam, not being there mentioned, had been alienated at an earlier period.