The Church in London 1375-1392. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
POLL TAX OF 1381 IN THE CATHEDRAL AND ITS JURISDICTION
140. [E 179/42/10 m. 1] Particulars of the account of William Coleyn canon of the cathedral church of London, collector of the subsidy granted to king Richard II by the clergy in convocation (apud parliamentum) at Northampton in the fourth year [of his reign] within the said cathedral church and the peculiar jurisdiction of its dean and chapter, viz. from the said subsidy as follows:
John Appelby dean, Richard Perynton archdeacon of Colchester, Roger Holm chancellor, Thomas Bakton archdeacon of London, Henry Wynterton archdeacon of Essex, Amandus Fytlyng canon, John Wade canon, William Coloyne, William Navesby, William Dyghton, Martin Elys rector of St Faith, the vicar of St Giles without Cripplegate (Crepulgate), Thomas rector of St Gregory, John vicar of Chiswick (Chesewyk), John vicar of Navestock (Navestok) owes 2s, William vicar of Belchamp St Paul's (Belechamp) owes 3s 4d.
141. [Beneficed cont.] Thomas vicar of Wickham St Paul's (Wykharn), Gregory vicar of Walton on the Naze, Robert vicar of Kirby le Soken (Kyrkeby), Walter vicar of Thorpe le Soken (Thorp'), Richard vicar of Heybridge (Heybrygg), John vicar of Tillingham (Tyllyngham), John vicar of Asheldham (Asseldham), John vicar of Barling (Barlyng), William vicar of Willesden (Wyllysdon), John vicar of West Drayton, Thomas vicar of St Pancras Middlesex (in Campo), William rector of Stoke Newington (Stokenewenton) non sol', the rector of Twyford (Twyford Parva) non sol', the prioress of St Helen, Martin Elys rector of St Faith, Richard vicar of Lee Chapel (Westle) 3s 4d non sol'.
142. Unbeneficed. Thomas Croxton 5s 4d, William Ryffyn 5s, John Norwych 5s, John Albon 4s 2d, Robert Salle 4s 2d, Robert Norwych 3s 11½d, Robert Albotesle 3s 11½d, John Potton 4s 5d, William Wyrcestre 4s 7d, William Dayvyle 4s 8½d, Richard Houper 3s 10d, Robert Dokesworth 3s 10d.
143. [Unbeneficed cont.] Adam Gaddesby 3s 11½d, John Halstede 3s 11½d, Thomas Bysshop 3s 11½d, Ralph Twyford 4s, William Revel 3s 11½d, Ralph Multon 4s 2d, John Hyltoft 4s 2d, Warin Medborne 4s 4d non sol', David Mort 4s 10d, Roger Feltwell 3s 11½d, John Zatton 3s 4d, Thomas Boudon 3s 10d.
144. [Unbeneficed cont.] [All paying 3s 4d:] John Feyth, John Watfordd, Nicholas Barbur, 60 Hugh Bannebury, William Norhampton, John chaplain of Agnes Franceys, William chaplain of the prioress, Henry Godselawe, John Cotes, the chaplain of William Tomer, John Fytzavery, Robert Querton, William Abraham, Henry Wylyndon, Henry More.
145. [Unbeneficed cont.] Simon Ekpol, Thomas Batman, John Albon, William chaplain of William Porter non sol', Richard chaplain of St Faith, William chaplain of St [sic] Amandus Fytlyng, John Amys chaplain of Wickham St Paul's, Walter chaplain of Tillingham (Tylyngham), John chaplain of Willesden (Wyllesdon), William Wolaston, William Cheston non sol', John Bukworth, Margaret subprioress of St Helen, Katherine Wolf.
146. [m. 2] Names of persons in St Paul's cathedral and within the peculiar jurisdiction of the dean and chapter paying divers sums, specified below, towards the subsidy granted to the king in the fourth year of his reign by the clergy in convocation (in parliamento) at Norhampton; that is, to the help and succour of other persons of less substance. These people mentioned below are not to be reckoned among the number of other persons paying towards this subsidy.
John Appelby dean 3s 4d, Richard Perynton archdeacon of Colchester 3s 4d, Roger Holm chancellor 3s 4d, Thomas Bakton archdeacon of London 3s 4d, Henry Wynterton archdeacon of Middlesex [recte Essex] 3s 4d, Amandus Fytlyng canon 3s, John Wade canon 1s 8d, William Coloyne 1s 10d, William Navesby 1s, William Dyghton 5s 4d, William Pakynton 1s 8d, William Fulborne 6s 8d.
147. Henry Snayth 2s 8d, William Terynton 1s 8d, William Wenlok 1s 10d, William Chesulden 2s 4d, William Shrovesbury 1s, John Wendlyngburgh 3s, Thomas Aston 1s 3d, John Dysford 1s, Thomas Crocer 1s 8d, Robert Bradgar 1s 4d, John Swynle 2s 8d, William Gotham 2s 6d.
148. John Berkyng 1s 6d, John Donewych 2s 2½d, Adam Wygmore 1s, William Oxwyk 2s 4d, Thomas Strete 1s 1d, Simon Steynton 1s 7d, Adam Damport 2s 6d, John Maundur 4s 11d non sol', William Rodris 3s 4d, Martin Elys 3s 8d, John Purle 4s, John Croxton 2s 4d.
149. Richard Pertenhale 3s 4d, Bartholomew Attelburgh 2s 6d, Richard Cotel 2s 6d, John Lynton 2s 8d, John Cristemasse 2s 4d, Richard Everdon 6d, Henry Welwes 7½d, Robert Kyrkeby 6d, John Redhod 6d, Reginald Spaldyng 8d, William Brydbrok 7½d, Nicholas Wasshyngbora 7½d.
150. William Copmanthorp 1s, John Brewode 1s, Adam Prytewell 3d, Philip Keys 5d, William Barton 8d, William Salman 3d, Thomas Kendale 7½d, John Pencrych 6d, Robert Franceis 6d, John Combe 3d, John Bukworth 2d, Henry Bever 6d.
151. John Trobbrygg 5s, the rector of St Gregory 5s, John vicar of Chiswick 2s, John Gromond vicar of Navestock 2s 6d, William vicar of Belchamp St Paul's 5s, Thomas vicar of Wickham St Paul's 3s 4d, Gregory vicar of Walton on the Naze 3s 4d, Robert vicar of Kirby le Soken 3s 4d, Walter vicar of Thorpe le Soken 3s 4d, Richard vicar of Heybridge 3s 4d, John vicar of Tillingham 5s, John vicar of Asheldham 1s.
152. John vicar of Barling 2s 6d, William vicar of Willesden 2s 8d, John vicar of West Drayton 2s 6d, Thomas vicar of St Pancras Middlesex 3s 4d, William vicar of Stoke Newington 3s 4d, the prioress of St Helen, London £3 non sol'.
154. [m. 3] Names of persons from whom William Coleyn, canon of London cathedral, collector of the subsidy granted to the king by the clergy at Northampton in the fourth year of king Richard II within the said cathedral and the peculiar jurisdiction of its dean and chapter, levies nothing to the king's use because those persons pay elsewhere in the dioceses specified below.
City of London. (fn. 1)
Henry Welwes, St Nicholas Olave (Olouf); Richard Everdon, St Bectet Paul's Wharf (Pouleswharf); Robert Kyrkeby, St Peter Paul's Wharf (Parvi Pouleswharf); John Redhod, St Martin Pomery; Reginald Spaldyng, St Benet Gracechurch (Greschyrch); Thomas Kendale, St Augustine Watling Street; John Coumbe, St Nicholas Shambles (ad Mascellas); William Morn, St Michael Queenhithe; Henry Bever, St Peter le Poor.
William Copmanthorp, Ingatestone (Gyng ad Petram), Chelmsford (Chelmesford) deanery; William Wendlyngburgh, Theydon Garnon (Thedon Gernon), Ongar (Angre) deanery; Nicholas Wasshyngborn, Laver Magdalen (Lauvar Maudeleyn), Ongar deanery; John Purle, Purleigh (Purle), Dengie (Dansey) deanery.
157. Hertford. Lincoln diocese. (fn. 2)
Thomas Aston, Warboys (Wardeboys), St Ives deanery; John Swynle archdeacon of Huntingdon, Huntingdon deanery; William Wenlok, Woodhil (Wodhulle), Clapham (Clopham) deanery; John Dyfford, Watton, Hertford (Hertfordd) deanery.
William rector of Shipdham (Shypdam), Hingham (Hengham) deanery; John rector of Diss (Dysshe), Redenhall (Redenhale) deanery; Adam rector of Hockwold (Hokeweld), Cranwich (Carnewyz) deanery; Adam rector of St Peter Hungate (Hundgate), Norwich deanery.
The prior of Walsingham (Walsyngham) collector answers for these items. William rector of Hartest (Herthurst), archdeaconry of Sudbury. The priors of Butley and St Peter Ipswich (Gippewici) collectors answer for this item.
Simon Steynton, (fn. 3) Brympton, Yeovil (Yevele) deanery.