A Survey of Documentary Sources for Property Holding in London before the Great Fire. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1985.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
This section covers family collections still in private hands; collections deposited in record offices and libraries are described under those headings. The collections were identified from references in the HMC Reports and additional lists at the NRA. In most cases they are described in relation to the individual or family traditionally associated with them, although the ownership may now be vested in trustees or other bodies, from which permission to consult the records should be sought.
See TS report made in 1948 (NRA 10492), pp. 68–9 and Guide to Russell Estate Collections for Bedfordshire and Devon (Bedford, 1966). The records are at the Bedford Office, 29A, Montague Street, London WC1B 5BL.
a. Deeds. F1/1–13, F2/1–46, and A2/1–2 (missing in 1983 but known from earlier lists or abstracts on cards): deeds, 15C–16C (158); deeds and a rental, 13C–16C (53); deeds 16C–17C (44). R1–17: deeds, 16C–17C (4, 5, 20, 38, 42, 54, 61, 151). A1/1–12: deeds, 16C–17C (44). B/1–13: deeds, 17C (53). C/1–13: deeds. 16C–17C (158). D/1–11: deeds, 17C (118). E/ 1–10: deeds, 17C (156). G/1–7: deeds, 16C–18C (18).
a. Bundles 1 and 8, containing 97 items, form a collection of surveyors' particulars of houses and leases, with some plans and correspondence, concerning properties in and near London for the period c. 1660–c. 1680. The following parishes and other locations in the city are covered: 18, 22, 25, 45, 46, 62, 64, 101, 105, 108, 142, 148, 158, Aldersgate Street, Austin Friars, Bevis Marks, Birchin Lane, Bishopsgate Street, Blackhorse Alley, Broad Street, Bucklersbury, Coldharbour, Durham Yard, Fenchurch Street, Fish Street Hill, Fleet Street, Foster Lane, Gulley Key, Lothbury, Lumber Street (probably not Lombard Street), Milk Street, Mincing Lane, Old Bailey, Old Jewry, Queen Street, Rood Lane, St. Martin le Grand, St. Martin's Lane, St. Sithe's Lane, Throgmorton Street, Tower Dock, Tower Hill, Warwick Lane.
See HMC (51) Mr F. W. Leyborne-Popham, 103: ref. to inventory of house in St. Martin's Lane (possibly 93 or St. Martin le Grand). These MSS are now in a number of collections and the inventory has not been traced.
Not visited. For the records, apply in the first instance to the Northumberland Estates Office, Alnwick Castle, Alnwick, Northumberland. The 16C and later records of London property concern holdings outside the city.
Not visited. There are microfilms of the calendared MSS in BL (M/485, 1–127). For relevant material, see HMC (3) Fourth Report, (4) Fifth Report, (6) Seventh Report, (9) Salisbury (Cecil) MSS, Parts 1–24, to which abbreviated refs. are given below. The material is 16C and early 17C in date. In addition to the items noted here, there are numerous incidental references to localities in the city.
c. Misc. refs. to property and tenancies in letters, petitions etc.: 25, HMC (9) Pt. 12, p. 219, Pt. 15, p. 452; 45, HMC (9) Pt. 20, p. 191; 47, HMC (9) Pt. 10, p. 112; 64, HMC (9) Pt. 11, p. 88; 99, HMC (9) Pt. 4, p. 73; benefices of 13, 19, 99, 101, HMC (9) Pt. 7, p. 112, Pt. 13, p. 243, Pt. 14, p. 328; Bishopsgate, HMC (9) Pt. 8, p. 361, Pt. 13, p. 47; Fleet Street, HMC (9) Pt. 14, p. 279; brewhouse called Hartshorn, HMC (9) Pt. 14, p. 72; Holborn, HMC (9) Pt. 23, p. 90; Moorfields, HMC (9) Pt. 7, p. 298; Newgate Market, HMC (9) Pt. 24, pp. 102–3, 208; New Inn, Clements Inn, Lyons Inn, HMC (9) Pt. 4, p. 73; Old Jewry, HMC (4), p. 217; Custom House Quay, Queen's Wharf, HMC (9) Pt. 2, p. 520, Pt. 5, p. 145; St. Martin's Lane (possibly 93 or St. Martin le Grand), HMC (9) Pt. 22, pp. 278, 384, 392; St. Martin (cf. above), HMC (9) Pt. 24, p. 216; St. Paul's churchyard, HMC (9) Pt. 1, p. 138; Steelyard, HMC (9) Pt. 8, p. 268, Pt. 24, pp. 102–3, 208; Tower Hill, HMC (9) Pt. 3, p. 428; London (unspec.), HMC (9) Pt. 14, p. 124.