Scriveners' Company Common Paper 1357-1628 With A Continuation To 1678. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1968.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
ABBREVIATIONS AND SELECT BIBLIOGRAPHY
Nearly all the titles mentioned above give references to other sources; see also W. F. Kahl, The Development of London Livery Companies: an historical essay and a select bibliography (Boston, Mass., 1960). There are numerous incidental references to the Worshipful Company of Scriveners in general works on the Guilds and in many of the histories of other Livery Companies.
List of manuscripts of the Scriveners' Company in the Guildhall Library
Case of the Company as to the legality of an
assessment on its members towards the rebuilding of their Hall burnt in the Great Fire. With
opinion of Sir Thomas Raymond, 14 May 1674.
|5370||The 'Common Paper'—the subject of this present book. (fn. 1)|
Extracts from Court minutes (now untraceable),
1696–1820, chiefly relating to the purchase of
the Company's Hall by the Coachmakers'
Company and to other premises belonging to
the Scriveners' Company, compiled c.1830.
Original charter of incorporation granted to the
Company by King James I, 28 January 1616/
|8717||Original ordinances, ratified 29 January 1618/19.|
|8718||Original ordinances, ratified 28 May 1635.|
Copy of grant of arms and supporters, originally
granted 11 November 1634, made at the
Company's request by Stephen Peters, arms
|8720||Wardens' account book, 1732–1894.|
Members' rolls, recording admission to freedom
and livery, and offices served, 1732–1892.
(There are eighty-four rolls, but the record
Photostat copy of MS. Rawlinson D51 in the
Bodleian Library, Oxford—this record is also
included in this present book. (fn. 2)
Bond in £1,000 by the Coachmakers' Company
to the Scriveners' Company, 13 May 1703.
Copy bargain and sale by Sir Arthur Savage and
Dame Sarah his wife (late wife of George
Smithies, Alderman of London, dec'd) and
others, to Charles Bostock, Citizen and
Great messuage with garden known as
Bacon House in Oat Lane, St. Mary
Staining, City of London
10 June 1628; with copy fine appertaining, 8 July
Deed of arrangement between (a) the Brewers'
Company, the Scriveners' Company, the Corporation of London, the Pewterers' Company,
the Barbersurgeons' Company and the Carpenters' Company, and (b) the Ironmongers' Company, in relation to matters arising out of the
Londonderry Estates, 20 November 1884.
List of manuscripts in the Bodleian Library, Oxford, relating to the Scriveners' Company
Rawlinson MS. D51 (S.C. 12869), being records of the Company of Scriveners transcribed in the time of Charles II. (fn. 3)
(iii) Counsel's opinion, by Sir Thomas Raymond, 14 May 1674, in favour of the power of the Company to levy contributions upon the members for the rebuilding of the Hall, burned down in the Fire of London (f. 88).
Rawlinson MS. D911 (S.C. 13677). Fragmentary English papers, historical and legal, but including (f. 196) The explanac'on of the clause concerninge scriveners, etc. conteyned in the Act against usury made in the xxi yeare of Kinge James'.