The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 97] In the parish of St. Pancras
501. [1253–4] Grant of William Wylehale (Wilehale), citizen, for the salvation of his soul etc. to John prior and convent of 10s. 4d. of quit rent which Gilbert le Bas was accustomed to pay him from certain lands with houses which he held in the parish of St. Pancras next Sopereslane; abutments, the church on the east and the tenement once of Richard son of Walter on the west; to hold in free alms; witnesses, Nicholas Batte, mayor, John de Norhampthon, Richard Pykard, sheriffs, Adam de Basinges, Roger son of Roger, Michael Tovy, John de Gysorz, John Adryan, William son of Richard, Ralph le Fevre.
502. [List of those paying quit rent]: Gilbert le Bas; Thomas Heyroun; Richard Vantot, 1 Ed. II; William Hervy, 5 and 19 Ed. II; Richard Vantot, 1 Ed. III; John Stanhoppe, 30 Ed. III; Adam Stable, 48 Ed. III; John Hadlee, 9 Ric. II to whom William prior and convent remitted 3s. 8d. for a term of twenty years [See also after 503] as appears in the following charter.
503. Release by William prior and convent to John Hadele, who has built a house on part of the land consecrated as a cemetery for the church of St. Pancras, of all arrears of rent for all time preceding [f. 97v] and he shall pay only 6s. 8d. p.a. for twenty years from Michaelmas next coming; prior and convent have the right to enter and distrain for the 6s. 8d. and at the end of twenty years the present concession shall be null and void and thereafter the rent of 10s. 4d. p.a. shall be paid; counterpart indenture; dated 24 June 1385.
505. Grant by William de Totham and Margery, daughter of Walter de Essex, his wife, of ½ mark of quit rent from two shops at the corner (in cornera) of a new street (novi vici) called Soperislane by Cheap (iuxta forum London') on the east which shops contain in length 3 ells and in breadth 1⅓ ells; the canons gave 4 marks of silver to further the grantors' most urgent business (ad urgentissima negocia nostra utiliter expedienda); the sale was made in the presence of the grantors' daughter Christine being of lawful age and with her agreement and she sealed the charter together with the seals of the grantors; [f. 98] and if Christine wishes to sell or lease the shops or part thereof then the canons have the first claim to receive ½ mark of silver; dated St. Laurence's day [? 10 Aug.] 1257; witnesses, Ralph Hardel, mayor, Richard de Ewelle, William Aswy, sheriffs.
506. [List of those paying quit rent]: William Totham paid 13s. 4d. for his obligations under 504 and 505 and afterwards the land was divided for Katherine Totham paid 6s. 8d. and Helewisa paid 6s. 8d.; and these paid 6s. 8d. after Katherine; Alan Norhamton who granted the tenement to John le Botoner who paid 6s. 8d. to Holy Trinity as appears by their charter (fn. 3) enrolled 23 Ed. I; John le Boteler or Botoner, 1, 5 and 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; John Botonere, 6 and 30 Ed. III; Thomas Everand, 33 and 49 Ed. III; Walter Doget, 8 Ric. II: and these paid 6s. 8d. after Helewisa; Richer Refham, 1 and 19 Ed. II; John Refham, 1 and 49 Ed. III and 8 Ric. II.
507. [1250–8] Grant of Laurence de St. Michael son of William to John prior and convent of 60s. p.a. of quit rent which the grantor received from three shops in Sopereslane which shops are next to the corner of Cheap (proximas in cornera versus magnum forum London') out of which one shop pays 28s. p.a., the other shop 20s. p.a. and the third shop 12s. p.a.; rent to the grantee and his heirs 20s. p.a.; the canons gave 30 marks of silver as gersuma (in liberam gersumam); sealed; witnesses, Peter son of Alan, Nicholas son of Joce, John Adrian, draper.
508.  Release by Laurence de St. Michael of 20s. which [f. 98v] the prior and convent ought to pay him out of the 60s. which they ought to receive from three shops in Sopereslane; the canons to pay to Michael and his heirs 2s. p.a. or 1 lb. of cumin at the option of the canons on 2 July; the canons gave 15 marks of silver as gersuma; witnesses, Ralph Hardel, mayor, Thomas son of Thomas, Robert Cateluyne, sheriffs, Peter son of Alan, Roger son of Roger.
509. [List of those paying quit rent]: the dean and chapter of St. Martin's; now [1425–7] in the hands of the abbot of Westminster, and these three shops are situated adjacent in the west corner of a street called Sopereslane which abuts on the market.
510. [1255–6] Grant of Richard Essex (de Essex), shop-keeper, to John prior and convent of 6s. p.a. of quit rent from the grantor's two shops with a solar built above which are near the gate of the 'Brodeselde' which was once of Walter le Brun on the east; abutments, the gate of the seld itself on the west and the land which was of Walter le Waunt(er) on the east with free access to and exit from the solar by the outer door of the seld; the canons to have the right to enter and distrain until arrears of rent are paid in full; the canons gave 4 marks of silver; sealed; witnesses, Ralph Hardel, mayor, John le Minur, Matthew Bukerel, sheriffs.
511. [f. 99] [List of those paying quit rent]: Richard Chivaler and then this rent was divided for Walter Norwich paid 3s. and John Marchaunt paid 3s.; and these paid 3s. after Walter Norwich; Roger de Cau(n)dyche, 1 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; Roger Donkele, 5 Ed. III; William Causton, 30 Ed. III; John de Enfeld, 36 Ed. III; Richard Northbiry, 48 Ed. III; note the same Richard and Robert Godistold paid 3s. for two shops, 1, 8 and 14 Ric. II: and these paid 3s. after John Marchaunt, 1 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; Nicholas Marchaunt, 30 Ed. III; Robert Godistold, 48 Ed. III; note John Garton paid 3s. for the solar above the two shops, 1 Ric. II; John Prentys, 8 Ric. II; John Garton, 14 Ric. II and these shops are situated on the south side of Cheap in front of the seld called Brodeselde.
512. [See 504]  Grant by Laurence de St. Michael son of William to John prior and convent of 14s. 8d. p.a. of quit rent which William de Totham was accustomed to pay the grantor from a certain shop in Soperslane; to be held of the grantor and his heirs at a rent of 8s. p.a. to be paid without any fraud or quibbling (cavillatione); the canons gave 5 marks in gersuma; sealed; witnesses, William son of Richard, mayor, Thomas son of Thomas, William Grapefige, sheriffs, Adam Rasyng, alderman; and thus there remains to Holy Trinity 6s. 8d. of the 14s. 8d.