The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate London Record Society 7. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 107] In the parish of St. Thomas the Apostle
551. [1201–2] Grant by David son of Ralph the Vintner to Holy Trinity of 20s. p.a. of quit rent from certain land which Robert de Basingge held of the grantor beside the cemetery of the same church on the east; the canons to pay a rent of 10s. p.a. to the grantor and his heirs; the canons gave 10 marks of silver as gersuma; witnesses, Henry mayor of London, Norman Blundus, John de Cayo, sheriffs.
552. [List of those paying quit rent]: Robert de Basyng; then the land was divided for Aldstanus paid 6s. 8d. p.a. and John son of Godfrey (Godefridi) 13s. 4d.: after Adelstanus; Peter Gysors; Robert le Cytoler; Elias de Honilane; Robert Hod, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; Katherine his daughter, 6 Ed. III who granted the tenement to William Chaumpeneys who paid 6s. 8d. as appears by their charter (fn. 1) enrolled in the Husting Mon. 25 July 1345 and William bequeathed the tenement to the church as appears in his will (fn. 2) enrolled after 14 Feb. 1351 and William paid 22 Ed. III; then the tenement was divided for Matthew Pecok paid 3s. 4d. and John Mychel 3s. 4d., 39 Ed. III: after Matthew Pecok; his widow, 47 Ed. III; and the church (fn. 3) (ecclesia ipsa), 10 Ric. II: after John Mychel; John Stodey, 49 Ed. III; Thomas Goodlak, 10 Ric. II: [f. 107v] and after John Godard [sic]; his widow Christine; Richard Reyner; John the clerk; Richard Poterell; Robert the clerk; Roger de Vinea, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; William Burdon 20 Ed. III; Thomas Barnet, 20 Ed. III who bequeathed the tenement to the master and church of St. Thomas [de Acon] as appears in his will (fn. 4) enrolled after 2 Feb. 1350 and the master paid until now [1425–7].
553. Note: Ralph le Justice quitted to Richard prior and convent 4s. p.a. which William the Chamberlain gave to him when he married Denise daughter of William from land with houses which were held by the prior of Lewys in the parish of St. Thomas as appears by Charter Eighteen (fn. 5) of several parishes.
554. [List of those paying quit rent]: the prior of Lewys; Thomas Romayn, 1 and 19 Ed. II; Juliana Romayn, 1 Ed. III; Andrew Aubry, 6, 30 and 49 Ed. III and 3 Ric. II and this tenement is situated on the south side of a street called [name missing] between the tenement of the late John Deverose on the west and the king's street on the east.
555. Note: William the Chamberlain gave to Richard prior and convent 5s. p.a. and ½ lb. of pepper from land with houses that was held by Robert son of Symon in the same parish as appears in Charter Seventeen (fn. 6) of several parishes.
Godman le Taylour and Helen his wife, tenants of a certain tenement; abutments, the tenement of John de Norhamtone on the west and that of the prior of Lewes on the east, acknowledge in full Husting that they hold of the prior of Holy Trinity for 5s. p.a. and ½ lb. of pepper for the above tenement and the recognisance was enrolled the same day: by licence of the court it was agreed for the defs. by Richard Gladewyn, their attorney, that they held at the above rent and thereon the prior remitted all arrears up to this day; Ralph de Sandwich, warden of London, William de Hereford, Thomas de Stanes, sheriffs; and Godman granted the tenement to John de Norhamtone paying to Holy Trinity as appears by their charter (fn. 7) enrolled 16 Ed. I.
558. Note: William the Chamberlain gave to the prior and convent 5s. p.a. and ½ lb. of pepper from a tenement adjacent, [to that mentioned in 555] once of William le Taylour as appears in Charter Sixteen (fn. 8) of several parishes.
John de Norhamtone, clerk, recognises that he holds of William prior and convent for 5s. p.a. and 1 lb. of pepper from a certain tenement which Godman le Taylour and Helen his wife held of the prior and convent and upon this the prior remitted all arrears of rent before Michaelmas 1287.
561. Note: William the Chamberlain gave 1 lb. of pepper from land with houses adjacent to the prior's tenement held by Andrew Blund, the pepper payable at Michaelmas, as appears by Charter Seventeen (fn. 9) of several parishes.
563. Indenture made between Robert le Callere and the prior of Holy Trinity wherein Robert recognises that he holds of the prior by a rent of 10s. p.a. and 2 lbs. of pepper or 12d. from three tenements which he holds in the parish of St. Thomas the Apostle situated between the tenement of the prior of Lewys on the east and Cordewanestret on the west viz. from the tenement with houses which were once of Godman the Tailor on the side of the prior of Lewis 5s. and ½ lb of pepper or 3d., and from the adjacent tenement with houses on the west side which were once of John de Norhamtone 5s. and ½ lb. of pepper or 3d., and from the tenement with houses which was once of Edward Blund on the west side 1 lb. of pepper or 6d.; Robert concedes for himself and his heirs that the prior shall take naam and distrain in all the aforesaid tenements; the prior for this recognisance and concession remitted all arrears owed to him before Easter 1317; sealed; witnesses, John de Wengave, mayor, William de Causton, Ralph le Balanc(er), sheriffs; dated London 30 Apr. 1317.
562 contd. Robert Callere paid 11s., 19 Ed. II and 6 Ed. III; and afterwards the land was divided for Simon Salle paid 5s. p.a. and ½ lb. of pepper or 3d., and Walter Maune 5s. and ½ lb. of pepper or 3d., and Adam Brabeson 1 lb. of pepper or 6d., 33 Ed. III: after Simon Salle his tenement was again divided for Benet Zakarye paid 2s. 6d. p.a. and 1½d. for ¼ lb. of pepper and Robert Westmyll similarly: after B. Zakere; John Ypr(e), 48 Ed. III and 8 Ric. II; John Deverose, 15 Ric. II: [f. 108v] after Robert Westmell; Henry Norhamtone, 36 Ed. III; William Herlowe, 49 Ed. III; his widow, 5 Ric. II; Isabel Norhamtone, 8 Ric. II; Henry Gerard, 15 Ric. II; John Gav(er), 4 Hy. IV: after Walter Maune; Benet Zakarye, 41 Ed. III; John Ypr(e), 48 Ed. III; John Deverose, 15 Ric. II: and after Adam Brabason; John Horerwode, 36 Ed. III; John Scorfeyn, 49 Ed. III; Thomas Freton, 'browderer', 5 and 15 Ric. II and these tenements are situated adjacent between the tenement which Henry Subseye holds of the prior of Lewes on the east and Cordwanestret on the west [20 lines blank].