The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 110v] In the parish of St. Nicholas Coldabbey
578. [1197–1221] Grant of Peter prior and convent to Alan Kyng of a certain shop in the parish of St. Nicholas in the West Fish Market (apud Westpiscaria) which is next on the east to a shop which Richard de Hese holds of the canons; in width at the front along the street and everywhere (ubique) 2½ ells and in depth from the street to the house of Consaldus 35/8 ells; rent 7s. p.a.; if the grantee or his heirs wish to sell then the prior and convent to have the preference by 12d.; swore fealty; to hold without ill intent and miskenning; gersuma ½ mark; witnesses, John Burg(um), Walter Blund, Walter Black (Nigro).
579. [List of those paying rent]: Alan Kyng; Alan But; Walter de Belch; Richard Palmer; Richard Flynthard who granted the land to William Prodehom who paid 7s. as appears by their charter (fn. 1) enrolled 9 Ed. II; William Prodehom, 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; John Tryple, 19 Ed. III [See also after 580] as appears by the following plea.
The prior seeks against John Tryple and Katherine his wife a shop and a solar as gavelet according to the custom of the City and says that they hold of him and Holy Trinity at a rent of 7s. p.a. of which William (fn. 2) Poley, once prior, was seised by William Prodehomme; the rent was 119s. in arrears on the day of the suing out of the writ on 29 Nov. 1343 for seventeen years past; the tenement could not be distrained for a year and a day and he seeks it etc; John and Katherine by their attorney recognise that they hold of the prior at a rent of 7s. and the prior recovers for a year and a day unless the defs. pay the arrears whereupon the prior by his attorney Alan de Horewode remits the arrears.
581. Acquittance from William Haradone, prior, and convent noting receipt from Reginald Darkyngton and John Neweton, citizens and fishmongers, and wardens of the goods of the church of St. Nicholas Coldabbey, 20s. sterling in full payment of all arrears of rent; sealed counterparts; dated London 30 Sep. 1419 [f. 111] and this shop is situated on the north side of Oldfyschstret.
582. Grant by Richard Hese of 12d. of quit rent from his messuage (managium) in the parish of St. Nicholas at West Fishmarket; abutments, the land of Ralph Carbunel and the land of Walter Blund; if the rent is unpaid, the canons are allowed to enter the grantor's shop and take naam until they are satisfied both as to the rent of the shop and this quit rent; the canons gave 10s. sterling; witnesses, Walter Bruning, Stephen the Fishmonger (Piscar), Eudo the Fishmonger.
584. [1222–48] Grant of Richard prior and convent to Ralph de Bixile of a shop at West Fishmarket which Ralph Trey formerly held; abutments, the shop of Henry Kyngeston and the shop of Hugh de Newton and it has in width on the front along the street, 2½ ells and in depth from the street to the land of Denise la Vileine, 35/8 ells; rent 5s. p.a.; the grantee is not to sell or pledge to Jews nor to lease to anyone else without the permission of the canons; if he wishes to lease or sell the fee, the canons are to have an advantage of a bezant of 2s. over other buyers; swore fealty; gersuma 40s.; witnesses, John Vyel, alderman, Henry Kyngsone.
585. [List of those paying rent]: Ralph de Bixile; John le Kyng; John Kyng who granted the shop to Robert Ely and Thomas Edmund who paid 5s. to Holy Trinity as appears by their charter (fn. 3) enrolled 15 Ed. II; T. Edmund, William Edmund, 19 Ed. II and 1 and 6 Ed. III; John Cambrygge, 30 and 48 Ed. III; John Poynant, 49 Ed. III and 8 Ric. II; William Chambere throughout Hy. IV.
586. [f. 111v] [1222–48] Grant by Richard prior and convent to Hugh Upchurch, fishmonger, of a certain shop in the Fishmarket in the parish of St. Nicholas, abutments, the shop of Adam de Passeto on the west and the shop of Ranulf le Treyer on the east in width along the street 3½ ells and 1 in. and in length 3¾ ells; the grantee may assign to whomsoever he wishes except Jews and religious; rent 6s. 8d. p.a.; swore fealty; gersuma 20s; sealed; witnesses, John Viel, alderman of this ward. (fn. 4) Henry Kyngston, Adam de Plesseto.
587. [List of those paying rent]: Hugh Upchurch; John de Crey; Robert Hakeney who granted the shop to Roger de Ely who paid 6s. 8d. as appears in their charter (fn. 5) enrolled 15 Ed. II; Roger de Ely, 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; Adam Brabason, 6 and 30 Ed. III; William Newport, 49 Ed. III and 4 Ric. II [See also after 588] as appears by the following charter.
588. Charter of William Newport, citizen and fishmonger, since he has inspected the principal charters and muniments of Holy Trinity, he has noted that his shop which he acquired (perquisivi) from Robert Brabason is held by an annual rent of 6s. 8d. payable to Holy Trinity; the shop is in a lane called West Fishmarket between the shop of John Poyaunt on the east and that of William Tryple, belonging to the chantry of William Prudhom, on the west, both of which are of the fee of Holy Trinity of which it has been seised time out of mind; William concedes that the prior and convent shall be allowed to enter into the shop and distrain on all his goods and chattels until the rent is paid together with damages; sealed by William and with the seal of the convent; dated London 30 Sep. 1380; witnesses, John Hadle, mayor, Walter Doget, William Knightecote, sheriffs.
589. Note: Ralph le Justice granted to Richard prior and convent 3s. p.a. of quit rent from a shop once of John Schonk as appears in Charter Eighteen (fn. 6) of several parishes.
590. [List of those paying quit rent]: John Schonk; Matilda Lo(v)ekyn; Nicholas S(um)d; Richard de Hakeney; Roger de Ely, 1 Ed. II; William Stoulard, 5 Ed. II; Walter de Reynham, 6 and 30 Ed. III; John Lac, 32 Ed. III; Agnes Lac, 48 Ed. III and 8 Ric. II; William Kelcyll or Chaumbrer or Con(u)errs, throughout Hy. IV and Hy. V and 1 Hy. VI as appears by the following indentured acquittance.
591. Acquittance of William prior and convent declaring that they have received of William Convers or Kelshill, citizen and fishmonger, 18s. in full payment of arrears from his shop in Oldfyschstret; abutments, the shop of John Ardern(ne), esquire, on the east and the shop of John Ascheton, citizen and fishmonger, on the west and the king's street on the south and north; in full payment of arrears of 3s. p.a. of quit rent; sealed by William Convers and the prior and in further evidence and witness the seal of the venerable and discreet man William Sevenok, alderman, is placed on these indentured acquittances; dated London 5 Apr. 1423.