The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 179] Charters of Several Parishes
997. Memorandum: that Queen Matilda being dead and, as we have said above, (fn. 1) buried, contrary to her last wishes, at Westminster, King Henry hastened to London from the Continent and Prior Norman came to him. The king when he learnt that the last wish of the queen had not been carried out was exceedingly angry and gave nothing to the monks who had hoped for a gift. Following bad counsel he did not allow the land which the queen had bequeathed to Holy Trinity to be granted but he was well disposed because of his love for the queen and granted a foundation charter (et cartam fundacionis nostre perfectam quam antea non habuimus suo prudentissimo consilio nobis in hec verba dedit).
998. [1121–2] Notification by Henry I that the canons of Holy Trinity shall be free from subjection to other churches; that the canons may close the road between their church and the wall of the City; the king grants them £25 p.a. blanch from the farm of Exeter in free alms, also Alegate with the soke; grant of the English Cnithenegild with all lands and liberties both within the City and without; the canons and their men to hold with all liberties and free customs with sac and soc and toll and team and infaganethief, quit of all gelds, scots, wites, assizes, sheriffs' aids, suits of shires and hundreds [f. 179v] and leets and hustings and of pleas and plaints; hidages and tallages, military service and riding service (de excercitibus et equitacionibus), journeys (de oneribus expedicionum), keeping watch, work on castles, parks, bridges, stews, walls, enclosures, toll on carts, obligation to provide carrying service (summagio) and shipping service, the building of royal residences and of all secular service and exactions, all toll in any market or fair and of all tolls on journeys by road, bridge or sea throughout the kingdom; and the canons' men shall plead only in the canons' court and they shall not be impleaded for any tenement except before the king or his chief justice (capituli justiciario meo); the canons and their men are in the king's special protection; witnesses, Ranulf the chancellor, G. de Clinton, Ralph Basset, at Northampton.
Facs. Nat. MSS., i, no. 6; Reg. A.-N., ii, no. 1316 and f.n.
999. Note: that this charter  is enrolled in the Memoranda Rolls of the exchequer between the recorda of Trinity Term 8 Ed. II.
Margin: Carta prima de pluribus parochiis.
1000. Note: it  is enrolled in the Guildhall in the great Memoranda book with the letter 'C' folio 48.
Cal. Letter-Bk. C, 73–4.
1001. [1135–9] Confirmation by Stephen of the grant made by Matilda wife of King Henry [as confirmed in 998], witnesses, bishop of Winchester and William de Ponte Arc' [Pont de l'Arche] at Westminster.
Margin: Carta ija.
Facs. Nat. MSS., i, no. 8; Reg. A.-N., iii, no. 499.
1002. [1155–8] Confirmation by Henry II [f. 180] of 998 mentioning specifically that the canons are to be free from subjection to any church except St. Paul's; witnesses, Queen Eleanor, Hubert Albrine (fn. 2) bishop, Thomas chancellor, Richard de Lucy, Humphrey de Bohon dapifer, Ralph de Hastings, at London.
Margin: Carta iija.
1003. Memorandum: that St. Thomas archbishop of Canterbury was the king's chancellor at the time of the granting of the above-mentioned charter.
1004. Inspeximus and confirmation by Henry III of 998 mentioning specifically that Holy Trinity is free from subjection to the church of Waltham and confirming especially the gift of Algate with the soke and £25 blanch from the city of Exeter payable at the exchequer by the sheriff of Devon, their land at Leyton and the custody of the hospital next the Tower [f. 180v] and their lands in Bracking granted by King Stephen and Queen Matilda and other lands of the honour of Boulogne (Bolon(ie)), namely the land of Berkeden(e) of the gift of Richard de Anesteye and the land of Corneye and the church of Lefstanechirch of the gift of Hugh Triket and the chapel of Alsiswyk of the gift of Richard son of William; confirmation of their lands and rents in Bekeham and Clayherst of the gift of Picotus Empascorat with the liberties there granted by the Empress Matilda, daughter of Henry I; confirmation of the following gifts; of Roger son of Brian and Matilda his wife, 2 carrucates of land in Hoddenho and Trockyng; of Robert de Gatton, his land in Hamstede as Gilbert de Bradele held it of him at fee-farm; of Hubert the queen's chamberlain 4 librates in the manor of Brackyng; of Richard Wallensis 81½ acres of land and 4 acres of meadow in Brackyng with the services of Augustine the son of Wlwardus, Edith the widow and Richard Cruyland; of Ralph Hareng 25½ acres of land in the field of Heston and the meadow belonging to this tenement and the service which Robert the Smith (faber) of Heston was accustomed to pay annually; of William Blemund all his wood with the heath (bruera) as are enclosed by trenches (fossatis) in the parish of St. Pancras in Kentissetune next the plot (partum) of the bishop of London on the south and of William Uggel and his heirs and their services; of Ralph Triket a croft called Hogue or Hocus and a small piece (morcellum) of land next his barn (horreum) in Brambeleg and Nortmado 'et Spareweham et wildam et Wigewikam' and land formerly of Eadmund and Hugh son of Baldwyn, Hugh's house (managium) with an adjacent field; of Richard son of Osbert a certain place in which a mill was situated in Brambeleg which mill was one of four mills next to that of the nuns of Stratford on the east; of Robert Burell 10s. rent in Brambeleg; of William de Pyrho 16s. rent from a mill called the Monks' Mill in Brambeleg; of Ralph de Heyrun and William Thrisse and William de Berkyng 42 acres of land and 1 acre of meadow and an annual rent of 15s. 6d. and ½ lb. of pepper in Edelmeton; of William, earl of Essex and earl Geoffrey his father his land of Selegeford and 1½ hides in Brambeleg; of Richard de Lucy 20s. rent in Newton and all the land which Godfrey Beifuin his servant (serviens) held a day and a night (una die et una notte) in the manor of Leesnes; of Henry de Furnell and Theobald de Brackyng the mill of Brackyng; of Henry de Corneya land and meadow and a rent of 37d. which he had in Corneya and Widihale; of [f. 181] Peter de Bendeng 10s. of quit rent from land in Bilesherse; of Hubery de Anestie and Denise his wife 9s. of quit rent from the mill of Kaldecote; of Nicholas de Catesber[y] and Katherine his wife 11 acres in Catesbiry; of Thomas de Bordesdon 9 acres of land in Bordesden; of Hugh de Marines 17 acres 1 rood of land and the service of Stephen le Wayte and his heirs in Westmel(n)e; of Richard son of Robert 1¼ virgates of land with pasture in Westmelne and the service of Geoffrey his brother from half the land of the donor's father; of Henry de Scalar(us) and Joan his daughter 9½ acres of land in Widihal; by the permission and confirmation of Earl William de Mandavill forty cartloads of brushwood from the wood of Enefeld; of Walter de Mandevill the church of Brumfeld with its lands and all tithes; and of the same Walter the church of Nuteleg and its lands and all tithes; witnesses, E[ustace] bishop of London, J[ocelin] bishop of Bath and Glastonbury, R[ichard] bishop of Salisbury, Hubert de Burgh justiciar, Ranulf earl of Chester and Lincoln, William de Eynesford, Richard de Argent(an) the king's steward, Stephen [f. 181 v] de Beg(ne), Henry de Capella and others, given under the hand of R[alph] bishop of Chichester, chancellor, at Westminster 8 Feb. 1227.
Margin: Carta iiija.
C.Ch.R., i, 3; Monasticon, vi, 153–4.
1005. Inspeximus and confirmation of Richard II of 998; 973; [f. 182] 1001; and another charter of Stephen (fn. 3) granting to Holy Trinity the men and the land of the Cnithenegelda as they had held in the time of the king's grandfather William I and in the time of both his uncles William II and Henry I and in the time of Liovestanus (fn. 4) and to be quit of watch (warda) and forfeiture, witnessed by Queen Matilda and W. de Lusore at Bermondsey; of 961; [182v] and of another charter of Stephen (fn. 5) granting 2 hides of land in Leytona which Simon the Miller (de Molendino) and Adelina his wife and after them Robert de Ver gave in free alms to hold with full liberties, witnessed by Robert Caus, William Marc and Fulk de Dilli at Westminster; and another charter of Stephen (fn. 6) granting his special peace to all those who attend the canons' market at Bracching and that any who disturb them are liable to a forfeiture of £10, witnessed by W. Marc at Bermondsey; of a charter of Henry I (fn. 7) that the canons shall hold the land and the men of the Cnithenegilda [f. 183] witnessed by R[obert] de Ver at Westminster; of a charter of Henry III granting free warren in all the priory's demesne lands in Hertfordshire, Kent and Middlesex as long as they are not within the limits of royal forest, no one is to enter without the permission of the prior and canons upon pain of forfeiture of £10 and the grant of a market at Corneye weekly on Tuesdays and a fair for eight days from 23 Aug. provided they do not damage neighbouring fairs and markets, witnessed by Master William of Kilkenny archdeacon of Coventry, John de Grey, Henry de Peyte(v)in, given at Ha(v)ering 4 Apr. 1253, [ff. 183v, 184, 184v]; of 1004; of a charter of Edward II to hold £10 of land or rents notwithstanding the statute of mortmain, letters patent (fn. 8) 3 Nov. 1317; of a charter of Edward III relieving Holy Trinity from the obligation to maintain corrodians after the death of those to whom they owe an obligation, letters patent, (fn. 9) at York, 6 June 1335; [f. 185] and a grant that Holy Trinity enjoy a messuage, toft and wharf in the parish of St. Mary at Hill which Thomas Richeer left in his will and a messuage and a shop in the parish of St. Botolph without Algate which William de Thormeston bequeathed all of which were held of the Crown in burgage tenure and which the canons had not received because of litigation under the statute of mortmain and also £7 17s. 4d. p.a. being the residue of an annual rent of £10, witnesses, S[imon] archbishop of Canterbury, chancellor, Thomas bishop of Exeter, treasurer, John duke of Lancaster, Edmund earl of Cambridge, Thomas of Woodstock earl of Buckingham, [f. 185v] our most dear uncles, Richard Arundell, Thomas Beauchamp of Warwick, earls, William Beauchamp, chamberlain, Hugh de Segrave, steward of the household, John de Fordam, keeper of the privy seal and others, given at Westminster 31 May 1380. (fn. 10)
Margin: Carta va.
1006. Interpretation of 'soke' and of other words contained in the abovewritten charters.
[The following words are defined]: Soke, Sake, Tol, Theam, Infagenethef, Hutfagenethef, Hamsokene, (fn. 11) Grythebriche, Blodwyte, Philtwyte, Phlythwyte, [f. 186] Fordwyche, (fn. 11) Flemenesfrith, Lecherwite, Chyldwite, Forstall, Schot, Gelde like Hornhilde, Hitage or Carrcage, Danegelde, Horngelde, Wapentall, (fn. 11) Lestage, Stallage, Stenger or Hedwyng (fn. 11) (quieti de attachiamentis in aliqua curia et coram quibuscumque de querelis ostensis et non advocatis), Misheryng, (fn. 11) Burgbriche, Wardewite, (fn. 11) Auerpays [Averpenny], Hundredata, Bordalpany, Burgbote, Brigebote, (fn. 11) Thethepeny, Mundebrych. (fn. 11)
English translation in J. Stevens, History of ancient abbeys, ii (1723), 94.
1007. [1277–8] Grant by Alice de Merton abbess of St. Athelburge of Berkyng and the convent to Holy Trinity of a quit rent of 13s. 8d. p.a. namely 8s. 8d. [f. 186v] from land and houses built thereupon once of Edmund the Cordwainer in the parish of St. Michael by Algate; abutments, the tenement of the late Roger de Leuesham on the west and that of the late Thomas le Breton on the east; and 5s. p.a. from land and houses once of Joce the Barber (Capillarius) in Marthlane in the parish of All Hallows Stanyngcherch by the Tower; abutments, the tenement of Alice de Portesmuthe on the south and that of Henry le Lung on the north; to hold on condition that half of all the rent shall be used for the church and half for the infirm in the infirmary; rent a clove-gillyflower at Easter; the canons to have the right to enter and take naam if the rent is in arrears; the canons gave 10 marks; sealed; witnesses, Gregory de Rokesle, mayor, John Adrian, Walter le Engleis, sheriffs, John de Norhamtone, William de Hadestoke, aldermen of these wards, Ralph de la More, John Cok, clerk.
Margin: Carta via.
1008.  Grant by John Rosamund to brother Eustace and the canons of Holy Trinity 40s. p.a. of quit rent; 20s. which the grantor has as a gift from Thomas de Oxonia, bureller, and Alice his wife from their rent in the parish of St. Dunstan opposite the church in the street which leads to the Tower; 13s. 4d. from Godfrey de Essex and Lettice his wife from a certain messuage with a shop in the parish of St. Mary Abeycherch in Candelwikstrate; 6s. 8d. of quit rent which the grantor had of Adam de Gyseburne and Marsilla his wife [f. 187] which they have of Gilbert de Felford in the parish of St. Edmund by Garscherch; to hold in free alms; rent to Thomas de Oxonia and his wife ½ lb. of cumin or 3 grains of pepper and the same to G. de Essex and his wife; sealed; witnesses, John Adrian, mayor, Philip le Tailur, Walter le Poter, sheriffs, Matthew Bokerell, Thomas and Aluard, aldermen.
Margin: Carta vija.
1009. Recognisance of John Sperlenc that he owes 18d. p.a. of quit rent from certain land near the gate (ianua) of his capital messuage (managium) along the street in the parish of St. Andrew Estchep and another 8d. p.a. of quit rent from certain land in the parish of St. Botolph without Alegate between the cemetery of the church on the south and the land of Ralph the chaplain on the north; permission to the canons to take naam in the donor's capital messuage in the parish of St. Mary de la Helle if they do not find sufficient to cover the rent in the above-mentioned lands; the canons remitted 9s. 6d. rent and all claims to arrears; witnesses, Roger Duce, Augustine Mercer.
Margin: Carta viija.
1010. [1222–48] Grant by Felicia widow of Joce Juvenis to Richard prior and convent in free alms a quit rent of 40s. p.a. from land and three shops which are of the fee of St. Giles' hospital [f. 187v] in Bridge St. (in vico Pontis London'); abutments, the land and shop of Wygod the Mercer on the south and the shop formerly of Richard Blund of the same fee on the north and the land and messuage which was of Geoffrey the Shopkeeper (Schopparii) on the west 20s. p.a. of quit rent; also from the certain shop which is Roger the Butcher's; abutments, the shop formerly of Derekinus the Spicer (speciarii) on the south and the shop of St. Mary of Suthwerke on the north 8s. p.a. of quit rent; also from certain land with houses and shops in the parish of St. John de Walbrok; abutments, the land formerly of Geoffrey de Frowyk on the east and the land formerly of Alan Weyder on the west 14s. p.a. rent from which 2s. p.a. has to be paid to the lords of the fee (dominis fundi); the grantor has handed over all charters and muniments to the canons; sealed with the grantor's seal and the seal of her husband's executors; witnesses, Ralph Sperleng, Robert Hardel, Robert de Cornhill, Alexander Ferrun, John Prian.
Margin: Carta ixa.
C.A.D., iv, A 7296.
1011. [c. 1215] Grant by Alan son of Peter to the canons of Holy Trinity of 26s. 4d. p.a. of quit rent; namely 13s. 4d. which William Becham paid the grantor from lands formerly of Jordan Sperleng in the parish of St. Margaret versus Pontem next the cemetery of the church on the south; 5s. rent which Roger the Fishmonger paid the grantor from his messuage (managium) in the parish of St. Clement which belonged to Paul the parson of the church; 8s. rent which Benet son of Turkill paid the grantor from a certain stall in the Shambles (macellum) of Estchep between the stall formerly of Richard Blandekete and the stall of Robert Asse; rent to the grantor and his heirs 4d. p.a. within the octave of Easter; gersuma 20 marks of silver; [f. 188] witnesses, William Hardell, mayor, John Bucci(u)nte, Thomas de Haverhill.
Margin: Carta xa.
1012. [?c. 1189–93] Grant by Geoffrey son of Stephen to the canons of Holy Trinity of 6s. p.a. of quit rent from a certain shop which Reginald the Butcher son of Nicholas holds of the grantor in the Shambles of Estchep in the corner by the bridge (in corneria versus pontem); 5s. of rent from certain land next the house of John son of Daniel which Walter son of James the Goldsmith holds of the grantor in the parish of All Hallows by Garscherch; 10s. 8d. rent from certain land next the land of the same Robert on the east which Andrew de Herghes, parmenter, holds of the grantor; 18d. of rent from certain land formerly of Kenutus the Tanner (Tannarius) which Alan son of Peter holds in Colemannestrata in the parish of St. Stephen; 3s. (fn. 12) rent from land which Daniel the Draper (Draperius) holds of the grantor in Staningelana viz. between the land of the said Daniel and the small lane (venula) which is between that land and the church of St. Mary de Staningelane; 7s. (fn. 13) rent from land containing in length 66 ft. of the feet of St. Paul's (de pedibus sancti Pauli) and in width 40 ft. which Stephen de Wendleswurth, goldsmith, holds of the grantor which land is alongside land which was formerly of Thomas de Aude(v)ill on the east in the parish of St. Michael at Wudestret; to hold in free alms doing service to the lords of the lands (fundorum) which the aforesaid lands owe; and 2s. p.a. quit rent out of 7s. rent which Gilbert the Whittawer (Allutarius) holds of the grantor in the parish of St. Alban Wood Street along the street between the land of Geoffrey Bone(ch) and that of the canons of St. Bartholomew which Henry son of Alfred held and in the middle between the land of Norman Blund and that of Daniel the Draper which land is of the fee of the monks of St. Alban's and extends from Wood Street to Staningelane to hold for ever 7s. p.a. of which 5s. p.a. goes to the monks of St. Albans; sealed; witnesses, Henry son of Alwin, mayor, Roger fitzAlan, William son of Sabeline, William de Haverhill.
Margin: Carta xja.
1013. [f. 188v] [1222–48] Grant by Avice daughter of William Wilekin, alderman, for the salvation of her soul and that of Richard her former husband, to Richard prior and the canons of Holy Trinity of 7s. p.a. of quit rent which the grantor's father gave her and from which 7s. Gervase de Garscherch owes 42d. p.a. from the land and house in which he lives in the parish of All Hallows de Garscherch and the hospital of St. Katherine by the Tower owes 21d. p.a. for the land and house which William Bursier holds of the said hospital in the parish of St. Benet de Garscherch and the hospital of Sandun by Kingeston owes 21d. p.a. for the land and house which Alditha holds of the said hospital in the parish of St. Benet; to hold in free alms on condition that half the rent shall be used for pittances for the canons on the anniversary of Richard the grantor's husband and the other half on the grantor's anniversary; sealed; witnesses, Ralph Sperling, John de Solio, aldermen, Robert Long.
Margin: Carta xija.
1014.  Grant of William de Blemonte to Richard prior and convent of 20s. p.a. quit rent which Robert son of Bartholomew, alderman, was accustomed to pay the grantor from certain land and houses in the parish of St. Mary de Newcherch between the land of Michael Tolosanus on the west and a lane next the cemetery of Newcherch which goes towards Bokelesby on the east; to hold in free alms; and also 17s. p.a. viz. 15s. which John Blund, clerk, used to pay to the grantor from land and houses which Paulinus the Mercer, brother of the said John, in Cornhill and John Frauncois held of the same John the clerk in the parish of St. Mary Wulnodmaricherch between the land of Gilbert the Woolmonger (Lanarius) on the west and the stone house of Robert Burell which is of the grantor's fee and adjacent to the said land on the east and 2s. which Robert Burell paid from the said stone house; to hold in free alms paying therefor 3d. to the soc of the bishop of London so that the canons shall have power to [f. 189] take naam and distrain and, if necessary, to plead gavelet concerning all the 37s. of rent; sealed; witnesses, Richard Renger, mayor, Stephen Bukerell, Henry de Cokham, sheriffs.
Margin: Carta xiija.
1015. [1197–1212] Agreement between Benet abbot of Stratford and convent and Peter prior of Holy Trinity and convent acknowledging that the abbot of Stratford has given to Holy Trinity 60 marks of silver and 40s. p.a. of secure quit rent (de securo et quieto redditu) in London in exchange for two pieces of land, one called Luymudhe which Robert the clerk of Westhame held of the canons lying next to Luiam on the east and the other called Holec(u)hame lying near the monks' mill called Pikeshoc to hold to the abbot and monks for ever; the 40s. p.a. of quit rent in exchange comes from the following places, 8s. in the parish of St. Faith from the land of John de Mareni which Godfrey the Chamberlain held of the monks, 8s. in the parish of St. Benet from lands which Alfred Finatat held, 5s. in the parish of St. Nicholas [Cole Abbey] in the ward of Alan Baalun (fn. 14) which Walter Talliator, who was married to the daughter of Michael son of John, held, 7s. in the parish of St. Martin in Candelwrichestrate from land which Ralph Long held, 12s. in the parish of St. Peter Cornhill from land which Osbert Rufus held; if the abbey of Stratford cannot warrant either all or part of these payments it will make the sum good from other rents in London up to the amount of 40s. p.a.; [f. 189v] Holy Trinity to hold these quit of all services to the lords of the land and Holy Trinity will warrant the above lands; the agreement was read and agreed in full chapter of both houses; witnesses, Henry son of Ailwin, Roger son of Alan, Alan son of Peter.
Margin: Carta xiiija.
C.A.D., iv, A 7294.
1016.  Grant by William son of Roger, citizen of London, to John prior and convent of 24s. p.a. of quit rent which Henry de Dunolm and Agnes, widow of Adrian Aswy, paid to the grantor from houses which they held of him in St. Martin's Lane by Kandelwrihtestrate; also 23d. p.a. of quit rent which William Bray paid the grantor from his houses in the parish of St. Martin Oteswych; to hold in free alms paying for the grantor and his heirs to the monks of St. Saviour Berundeseye 10s. p.a.; the canons gave 12 marks, sealed; witnesses, William fitzRichard, mayor, Adam Bruning, Henry de Coventre, sheriffs, Geoffrey de Winton, alderman, John de Gysors.
Margin: Carta xva.
1017. [f. 190] Grant by Richard Renger, citizen of London, to Richard prior and convent for the salvation of the soul of Roger Duc once mayor of London 2s. p.a. of free quit rent from a certain stone house which William de Stanes holds in the parish of St. Mary de Somersete; also 14d. in the parish of St. Swithin in Candelwikstret from the house of Solomon le Dubhour; also 3s. in the parish of St. Botolph without Bisschopsgate from the house of Simon le Coureour; also 4s. 6d. in the same parish from the land and houses of Jordan de Mora; also 6d. in the same parish from the land of Nicholas Bat; warranty for the donor and his heirs; dated 1236; sealed; witnesses, Master Alexander rector of St. Swithin, Robert Hardell, Peter Bacon.
Margin: Carta xvja.
1018. [1239–40] Grant by William the Chamberlain son of Robert the Chamberlain to Richard prior and convent of his capital messuage (managium) in the parish of Holy Trinity the Less; also 5s. p.a. of quit rent and ½ lb. of pepper from land with houses formerly of Robert son of Simon; also 5s. of quit rent and ½ lb. of pepper from land with houses which William Taillur held; also 1 lb. of pepper from land with houses formerly of Andrew Blund in the parish of St. Thomas; also 8s. in the parish of Paternoster church from land with houses formerly of Nicholas Duket; also 12s. of rent in the parish of St. Mildred Bredestrete from land etc. formerly of Helen daughter of Walter Blund which 20s. (fn. 15) the grantor had as a gift from his sister Margaret; also 15s. of rent from land with houses which Ralph de Ely held and 20s. from the land with houses which Ralph Frany(er) held in the parish of St. James [Garlickhithe] (super Tamisiam); also 20s. in the parish of St. Michael [Queenhithe] (super ripam) from land etc. formerly of John de Kolemere; also 8s. in the parish of St. Nicholas Olave from land etc. formerly of Thomas son of Thomas son of Richard; also 1 lb. of cumin in the parish of St. Augustine by St. Paul's from land etc. formerly of John de Wylenhale; also 4s. of rent which the nuns of Haliwell owe from certain land with houses which is below Newegate on the north side and on the south side of the same street from certain land and a garden adjacent to the City [f. 190v] wall; 10s. in the parish of St. Audoen which the said nuns owe; to hold in free alms; and if William son of Ralph the Justiciar and Denise, the grantor's daughter dies before coming of age, 40s. which the grantor gave in dower (maritagium) to the said Ralph with his daughter; sealed; witnesses, Gerard Bat, mayor, Reyner de Bungeye, Ralph Eswy, sheriffs, Henry de Chobham, Henry de St. Albans.
Margin: Carta xvija.
1019. [1241–2] Grant by Ralph le Justice to Richard prior and convent of 42s. p.a. of quit rent which William the Chamberlain gave to him in free dower with Denise his daughter viz. from the lands and houses of the countess of Oxford in the parish of Paternoster church 6s. 8d.; from the lands and house of Peter de Trye in the same parish 6s. 8d.; from the house of Stephen Crassus in the parish of St. James 5s.; from the house and land of the prior of Lewes in the parish of St. Thomas the Apostle 4s.; from the house and land of William Crassus in the same parish 10s.; from the shop of John Sonke in West Fishmarket in the parish of St. Nicholas 3s.; from the house and land of Richard Foliot in the parish of St. Faith 6s. 8d.; to hold to the canons in perpetuity; the prior and canons gave 10 marks in silver; witnesses, Ralph Aswy, mayor, John son of John Viel, Thomas de Dunholm, sheriffs.
Margin: Carta xviija.
1020. [1197–1221] Letter of Peter prior and convent [f. 191] that they have granted to the nuns of St. Leonard's Stratford that they will at their own costs cause to be mown all the tithes which belong to the nuns from the priory's demesne in Brackyng and that the 'famuli' of the nuns with their carts (bigis et carris) shall enter freely into the grantor's fields and follow the priory's carts to collect their tithes and carry them away; for this concession and as a recompense for Holy Trinity's expenses the nuns have given 40d. p.a. of rent in the city of London viz. 18d. which Lambert the Glover (Wanterius) holds of the nuns in the parish of Holy Trinity and to this rent Lambert assigned to Holy Trinity 22d. p.a. which John the Parmenter paid the nuns from certain land which is next the land of Simon Blund on the south, in the parish of St. Stephen Walbrok; warranty of the 40d. by the nuns and of the costs of reaping by Holy Trinity; sealed; witnesses, Roger Hus(c)aill, William his son, William Cole, William de Piro, German the Parmenter.
Margin: Carta xixa.
1021. [1256–7] Grant by Eustace son of David de Staunford to John prior and convent of 2 marks p.a. of rent which John Sharp used to pay from certain land with houses in the parish of St. Mary de Newchurch; also 22s. 4d. p.a. of rent from the next house in the same parish from which the service due to the lords of the fee, Robert de Agulun and his heirs is 9s. p.a.; also 3s. p.a. of quit rent which the grantor used to receive from all the land and houses formerly of William the Glazier (Vitrius) in Colkeslane; also all the land with a garden which the grantor had in the parish of St. Olave by the Tower paying thereon 2d. p.a. to the king's socage in the middle of Quadragesima; to hold in free alms; [f. 191 v] during the lifetime of the grantor the canons gave him 6 marks of silver p.a. from their chamber (camera); sealed; witnesses, Ralph Hardell, mayor, Richard de Ewell, William Aswy, sheriffs, Matthew Bokerel, alderman, John de Gisors.
Margin: Carta xxa.
1022. [1193–1212] Grant of Robert son of John Cherunburt to Holy Trinity, in free alms, of a certain stone house in the parish of St. Mary Wulnothmariecherch next to the house of William White on the north paying 1d. to the king for soke and 2s. to the monks of Moroton [?Merton]; also certain land in the parish of St. Mary Abbechirch alongside the land formerly of William Tailiator on the west which land is of the fee of Holy Trinity; also 8s. p.a. of rent from land which Alexander de Linton holds of the grantor in the parish of St. Mary de Newcherch, the grantees paying 2s. p.a. to Henry son of Ailwyn and his heirs; sealed; witnesses, Henry son of Ailwin, mayor, Alan son of Peter, Thomas de Haverhill and Richard his brother.
Margin: Carta xxja.
1023. [1193–1212] Sale and quit claim by Richard de Flit and Alice daughter of Alfred the Mercer to the prior and convent of Holy Trinity of 6s. p.a. of quit rent from the two lands which Henry and Richard sons of Henry Blund held of the donors; [f. 192] one is in Bassinghahe between the land that Andrew Neuel(im) held of the canons and the land of the canons of Merton and the other is in Aldermanneb(ur)ia and lies between land that was formerly of Andrew the Old (Senis) and that of Michael the Cordwainer (Cordwanerius); (fn. 16) the prior and convent gave 50s.; witnesses, Henry mayor of London, Roger fitzAlan, John de Cay, sheriffs.
Margin: Carta xxija.
C.A.D., i, A 1502.
1024.  Grant by William son of Brithmar of Haverhull to Holy Trinity, in free alms, of 3s. p.a. of rent in the parish of St. Nicholas de Westmacekaria in the [street] which runs from the church of St. Nicholas to the wall of the City from land which Alice daughter of Thomas the priest (sacerdos) holds of the grantor in fee for 6s. p.a. which land lies next on the south to the land which William Yreis holds of the grantor; the gift is made by the concession of Alice, the grantor's wife and Thomas his son and heir and in return the canons have released the grantor from all arrears, namely 40s. of arrears of rent for five years from two lands which he holds of them for 8s. p.a., one in the parish of St. Mary Magdalene in the Fishmarket by St. Paul's at 4s. p.a. which lies between land which he holds of Roger Too(ni) and the land of Alfred de Windeleshores and the other in the parish of St. Michael de Bassishaghe against the wall of the City at 4s. p.a. which lies between land which he holds of the sick girls (Puellis infirmis) of St. James and the land formerly of Serlo the Saddler (sellarius); and the canons granted that they would remember the grantor and his relatives when they celebrated on the grantor's anniversary; made in the year 1196; witnesses, Anselm the priest of St. Nicholas, [f. 192v] John the priest of St. Peter Wodestrete, Henry son of Ailwin son of Leofstan, mayor, William son of Sabelina.
Margin: Carta xxiija.
C.A.D., ii, A 2507.
1025. [c. 1217] Confirmation by Sabina daughter of David Cordiwisse of the sale and quitclaim which her son William Piedefer made to Holy Trinity of 7s. p.a. of quit rent which she had in the parish of St. George and St. Leonard in (apud) Estchep which quit rent Robert Bat and Robert Blund, butcher, used to pay Sabina and William which Osbert Piedefer, once her husband, gave her in dower; to hold to the said canons freely, which grant Sabina made after the death of Richard Bacun her husband; the canons gave her ½ mark of silver; witnesses, John Sperling, alderman, John Abraham, William Versin.
Margin: Carta xxva. [sic.]
1026. [c. 1217] Sale and quitclaim by William son of Osbert Piedefer as in 1025; abutments of the land from which the quit rent is paid, the land of William the Cook and the land of William Ruffus; the canons gave to the grantor 5 marks of silver; witnesses, John Sperling, John Abbraham, William Versin, Geoffrey Verhierde.
Margin: Carta xxiiija.
1027. Grant by Ralph son of Roger the Palmer to Holy Trinity of his capital messuage (managium) in the parish of St. Peter Wood Street with two shops which he has by his father's will; to hold in free alms, [f. 193] the grantee to pay to the lords of the land 2½ marks for all services; also 18d. p.a. which William, Henry and Nicholas his brothers used to pay the grantor; also one shop which the grantor had at St. Ives (apud Sanctum Ivonem); sealed; witnesses, William the chaplain of Wood Street, Richard the Goldsmith, William de Berkyng.
Margin: Carta xxvja.
C.A.D., ii, A 2704.
1028. [c. 1218] Grant by Thomas de Hauerhill to Holy Trinity in free alms of 3s. p.a. of quit rent from land which Hamo Brand holds of the grantor outside the Bar of the New Temple in the parish of St. Clement and 3s. from land in Cockeslane which the grantor holds of Holy Trinity from which the canons owe 2s. p.a. to Roger de Turri and all the land Thomas bought from Constantine Nimore and Joan his wife which William Flael left them which land is next to the forge on the east of the capital messuage (managium) in the parish of St. Edmund which the grantor bought of John de Angulo which land is next to the land of the canons; on condition that from these rents ½ mark may be taken for pittances to the canons on the grantor's anniversary; sealed; witnesses, Peter prior of Holy Trinity, Martin prior of St. Mary of Suthwerk, Godfrey prior of the New Hospital outside Bischopsgate, Serlo the Mercer.
Margin: Carta xxvija.
C.A.D., i, A 1661.
1029. [f. 193 inset] (fn. 17)  Quitclaim of Adam de Braunhingg, clerk, to Ralph prior and the sacred convent of Holy Trinity of all right in two tenements which he acquired from Geoffrey de Hakeneye and Agnes his wife in the parish of St. Botolph without Algate; also 6s. 8d. p.a. of quit rent which he has of the gift of Thomas de Kyng and Alice from a tenement in the parish of St. Sepulchre without Newgate; the two tenements and the rent leased to the prior and convent for a term of twenty years for a certain sum of money paid to Adam; sealed; witnesses, John de Gysors, mayor, Hamon de Chiggewell, Stephen de Habyndon, sheriffs.
Margin: Carta xxviija.
C.A.D., ii, A 1865.
1030. [f. 193 contd.] Exemplification of all the rents pertaining to the church
of Holy Trinity assessed to the royal tenth.
Richard etc. king of England and France etc. Know that, having inspected
the roll concerning the particulars of the taxation of the temporalities of the
clergy of the city of London in the diocese of London, in the same it is
accounted, among other things, as follows, that the assets (bona) of the
priory of Holy Trinity in the various parishes are:
St. Mary de Wolch[ir]chawe 72s. 4d.; St. Christopher 16s.; All Hallows Colemanchurch 55s. 4½d. St. Olave ad Turrim [Hart Street] 200s. 10½d. St. Peter Wood Street 4s.; St. Michael Cornhill 25s. 4d.; All Hallows ad Fenum [the Great] 47s. 4d.; St. Giles without Cripplegate 28s.; St. Martin Ludgate 6s.; St. George 17s.; St. Mary le Bow 25s. 8d.; St. Michael Paternoster 15s.; St. John Walbrok 24s.; St. Ethelburga 7s.; St. Botolph Billingsgate 35s. 4d.; St. Martin Outwich 21s.; St. Sepulchre 25s.; St. Mary del Ax 23s. 2d.; [f. 193v] All Hallows de Berkyng 11s.; St. Andrew Cornhill [Undershaft] 18s.; St. Peter Cornhill 20s. 4d.; St. Alphege 5s. 5d.; St. Michael ad Ripam [Queenhithe] 20s.; St. Clement Candlewick Street 12d.; St. Benet Fink 3s.; St. Margaret Pattens 3s. 6d.; St. Benet Sherehog 22s.; St. Pancras in London 66s. 8d.; de Althermarich [St. Mary Aldermary] 6s. 8d.; All Hallows Greschirch [Lombard Street] 25s. 8d.; Holy Trinity the Less 3d.; St. Martin Candlewick Street [Orgar] 28s.; All Hallows London Wall 2s. 4½d.; St. Nicholas Olave 5s.; St. Augustine ad Portam 2s.; St. Lawrence Jewry 4s.; St. Swithin 13s. 4d.; St. Faith 18s.; St. Mary Aldermanbury 34s. 2d.; St. Botolph without Bishopsgate 24s. 8d.; St. Mary Woolnoth 2s.; All Hallows Staining 8s. 4d.; All Hallows Fenchurch 6s. 8d.; St. Margaret ad Pontem [Fish Street Hill] 33s. 4d.; St. Mary Magdalene in Piscaria [Old Fish Street] 2s. 6d.; St. Vedast 5s.; St. Mary Somerset 2s.; St. Mary at Hill 3s.; St. Benet Gracechurch 42s. 2d.; St. Alban Wood Street 10s.; St. Thomas Apostle 30s.; St. James Garlickhithe 15s.; St. Martin Vintry 15s. 7d.; All Hallows Honey Lane 48s. 4d.; St. Stephen in the Jewry [Coleman Street] 10s. 6d.; St. Stephen Walbrok 22d.; St. Mildred Bread Street 17s.; St. Dionis [Backchurch] 3s.; St. Michael Bassishaw 32s. 6d.; St. Mary Abchurch 67s. 2d.; St. Michael and St. Katherine within Alegate [St. Katherine Cree] £16 0s. 13d.; St. Benet Wodewarf [Paul's Wharf] 12s.; St. Botolph without Algate £14 10s. 1d.; St. Mary Bothaw 23s. 2d.; St. Dunstan East 62s.; St. Martin Pomary 6s. 8d.; St. John Zachary 51s. 4d.; St. Nicholas Coldabbey 21s. 8d.; St. Andrew Hubbard 16s. 4d.; St. Leonard 5½ marks; St. Mary Colechurch £13 6s. 8d.: all the foregoing, at the application of the prior of Holy Trinity, have been exemplified under the seal of the exchequer, in witness whereof our letters have been made patent, R. de Plesyngton at Westminster 26 Jan. 1384, by the said detailed roll in the treasury and by the barons: total of the abovewritten £121 16s. 6½d. of which the tenth is £12 3s. 7¾d. and the half tenth £6 0s. 22d.; the church of St. Botolph without Algate 10 marks of which the tenth is 13s. 4d. and the half tenth 6s. 8d. the church or chapel (sive capella) of St. Katherine 1 mark of which the tenth is 16d. and the half tenth 8d.
C.A.D., ii, A 2529.