The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate London Record Society 7. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 8] In the parishes of Holy Trinity, St. Michael, Mary Magdalen and St. Katherine
31. Narrative: Thus London was twice burnt, the first time from the house of Gilbert Bekette and secondly in the time of Prior Ralph from the house of Ailward by London Stone almost as far as Aldgate and also to the shrine of Erkenwald in St. Paul's. Because of the fire, the subsequent rebuilding and the need to make better provision for the church henceforth, the prior with the assent of the house decided to sell land with a rent reserved in perpetuity. As the world has progressed to such evil and contradicts ancient facts unless copies of charters are everywhere produced in evidence, I brother Thomas de Axebrigge called son of John de Cornwall, have made this rental not arranged under the tenure of each prior but according to the order of ancient books with the names written in them, also the tenements and the abutments, so that posterity may be better informed. O son of the most glorious Virgin urge me forward.
32.  Grant by John prior and convent to John Panyfadir (Panyvadir) of land and houses in the parish of Holy Trinity in the street going from Algate towards the Tower; abutments, the land of Hugh the Mason and land of the brethren of Mountjoy; rent 4s. p.a.; [f. 8v] the canons to have an advantage of 2s. if the grantee wishes to sell the land; gersuma 40s.; witnesses, Ralph Hardel, mayor, Matthew Bokerel, Thomas son of Thomas, sheriffs, and others.
34. Common plea held in the Husting, Mon. 24 Oct. 1328.
The prior complains of arrears of rent from four shops which John Box and Benedicta Box hold of him and his church for 4s. p.a. Benedicta came, John Box in default; the defs. were summoned and essoined three times; at a court held Mon. 17 July 1329 half the four shops were taken into the hands of the City; John to be summoned etc.; Benedicta said that she held them and that 11s. of rent were in arrears; the prior agreed.
33 contd. Stephen de Waltham, 6 and 31 Ed. III; Joan de Waltham, 36 Ed. III; Thomas Waltham, 47 Ed. III; Thomas Waltham, 8 Ric. II and the tenement is situated between the garden of Holy Trinity to the north and the tenement of the New College of St. Mary Oxford to the south, in the west part of the street from Algate towards the Tower.
35. [f. 9] [1249–60] Lease by the brothers and sisters of the hospital of St. Katherine by the Tower, with the assent of the prior and convent of Holy Trinity, to Robert de la Rocle (de la Rokele) of land and houses in the parish of Holy Trinity paying to Holy Trinity 4s. 6d. p.a. and to the brothers and sisters 2s. 6d. p.a., the land formerly of Alphanus Juncarius; abutments, the land formerly of Robert Panyfadir on the west and the king's highway going to the Tower on the east: containing in length on the east 27 ells, and in length along the land formerly of Robert Panyfadir on the west 24 ells, and in breadth along the king's highway in the north 11¼ ells, and in breadth along the land formerly of Robert Panyfadir in the south 8½ ells; gersuma 5 marks to the brothers and sisters; witnesses, Gervase the Cordwainer, alderman, Richard May, John de Cestute, Theobald the Capper.
36. [List of those paying rent]: Robert Rokele; German Crey, clerk; [See also after 38] who paid from the same tenement 6s. 8d. p.a. of which the sacristan has 3s. 4d. p.a. as appears by the following charter.
37. [1275–6] Grant by German son of Edmund de Creya, clerk, and Alice de Marny his wife to Eustace prior and convent of 6s. 8d. of quit rent from all their tenement and houses within the parish of Holy Trinity; abutments, [f. 9v] in length between the highway on the north side and the garden of Thomas the Tailor on the south and in breadth between the king's highway to the Tower on the east and the tenement of Walter le Botere on the west; paid on condition that the sacristan has 3s. 4d. p.a. for the upkeep of two lamps, one at the door of the infirmary, the other in the chapter house; canons gave 4 marks and 20d.; witnesses, Gregory de Rokelle, mayor, John Horn, Ralph Blunt (Blondus), sheriffs, John Norhampton, alderman of this ward. (fn. 1)
38. Payment of 11s. 2d. by Robert Kelsey or Bery as appears in the common
plea held in the Husting, Mon. 23 July 1352.
Robert de Bery and Margaret his wife recognised that they held of the prior and convent at an annual rent of 11s. 2d. a certain tenement in the parish of St. Michael and owed four years' arrears, 44s. 8d.
39. [1222–48] Lease by Richard prior and convent to Robert Panyfadir of land in the parish of St. Katherine; abutments, Andrew Pake and Bartholomew the Parmenter (Parmentarius) on one side, the said Andrew and Gervase the Capper on the other; [f. 10] in length along the main street (secus magnum vicum) 23¾ ells and in length along the land of Gervase 36 ells 2 poles and in breadth at the south end (in capite australi) 19 ells and in length along the street which goes to the Tower 13½ ells and from the aforesaid street to the land of Bartholomew 27¼ ells; rent 3s. 4d. p.a.; gersuma 8s.; witness, Gilbert Fulc, alderman.
40. [List of those paying rent]: Robert Panyfadir; and then the land was divided for Thomas the Parmenter paid 1s. 8d. and Walter the Potter paid 1s. 8d.: after Thomas the Parmenter; Richard Baker atte Weye or atte Basket, 1 Ed. II; Peter de Weston, 6 Ed. III; William atte Hale, 17 Ed. III; Agnes atte Hale, throughout Ric. II; William Norton, 8 Hy. IV: after Walter the Potter; Richard Bedell, 19 Ed. II; William Danyel, 32 Ed. III; and then the part of William Danyel was divided for Richard Andrew paid 8d. for a tenement which is now in the hands of Holy Trinity and Thomas Clayman paid 12d.: after Thomas Clayman; Agnes his daughter, 1 Hy. IV; John Brandeston, 13 Hy. IV.
41. [c. 1167–70] Lease by Edmund prior and convent to Huctredus Sted (Stede) of land, with reversion to Matilda his daughter, formerly of Edwar(qun); Huctredus swore fealty and gave for the grant one London sextary of wine; witnesses, Henry son of Alwin, Ralph son of Gervase.
42. [List of those paying rent]: Huctredus Stede; William Garland; William de Bristowe; Thomas Samuel; Robert Curryngham; Roger Rufus; William Cook (Cocus); John [f. 10v] Neubery, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 5 Ed. III; Robert Manhale, 31 Ed. III; John Bykir, 32 Ed. III; William Burdeux, throughout Ric. II and Hy. IV.
43. [1265–80] Grant in fee by Eustace prior and convent to (Hur) prior and the brethren of the hospital of Mountjoy of the land of Othulphus; rent 5s. 4d. p.a.; witnesses, William de Arras, Othulfus Viviano.
44. [List of those paying rent]: the brethren of Mountjoy to the time of Ric. II; now the College of the Blessed Mary at Oxford [New College] founded by the bishop of Winchester, and the two tenements are situated on the south side of the street going towards Algate; abutments, the tenement of Holy Trinity on the east and the tenement of the earl of March (Comitis de la Marche) on the west.
45. Grant by William, prior and convent to Richard de Chyngeford, potter, of land and houses in the parish of St. Katherine in the king's highway which leads to Algate; abutments, the land of Reginald the Goldsmith on the east and that of William de Suffolk (Suthfolchia), potter, on the west; in length along the land of Reginald 27¼ ells and in length along the land of William 32¾ ells 3 ins., and in breadth at the north end 227/8 ells and on the south side 30 ells 3 ins.; rent 40s. p.a.; to maintain houses in same state in which Richard received them or better; not to sell in part or in whole [f. 11] or to pledge to Jews nor to burden with annual charge except with permission of prior and convent; swore fealty; gersuma 40s.; chirograph; witnesses, Gregory de Rokesle, mayor, Robert de Rokesle, Stephen de Cornhulle, sheriffs, John de Norhampton, alderman of this ward; dated 24 June 1285.
46. [List of those paying rent]: Richard Chyngeford, potter, who leased it with his wife and daughter Christine; Adam de Cobham paid 20s., 1 Ed. II and 1 and 5 Ed. III.: after Adam de Cobham; Giles Westmelle, 31 Ed. III; William de Coventre, 35 and 41 Ed. III; Nicholas Rote, 49 Ed. III; Richard Blomvylle, 8 Ric. II; Agnes at Hale, throughout Ric. II and Hy. IV; William Norton, 8 Hy. (fn. 2) and the part of Christine was divided for Richard the clerk paid 10s. and Adam Cobhambury paid 10s. which part is in the hands of Holy Trinity: after Richard the clerk; the same Richard throughout Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; John de Welles, 3 and 5 Ed. III; Richard atte Celer, 31 and 49 Ed. III; John Henkle: and these two tenements joined together are situated between the tenement of Holy Trinity on the east and another tenement on the west.
47. Grant by Eustace prior and convent to William de Southfolk (Suthfolchia), citizen, of land and buildings in the parish of St. Katherine opposite (versus) Algate with frontage on the king's highway; abutments, Holy Trinity on the east and the land of Katherine Joie on the west: frontage on the highway 32 ells and in breadth at the lower end 37 ells and in length along the land of the canons 31 ells and on the other side along the land of said Katherine 42½ ells; rent 40s.; [f. llv] to maintain the houses in same state in which William received them or better; to build on the empty land 50 ft. along the king's highway at his own charges to the value of 1 mark a year, at least, within three years (edificabunt ad valorem unius marce per annum ad minus infra triennium a confeccione presencium); rent 6s. 8d. p.a. above the agreed rent of 40s.; the canons to have the preference by 6s. 8d. if the grantee wishes to sell the land; not to sell the land or houses or to pledge to Jews nor to burden with an annual charge without the assent of the canons; swore fealty; gersuma 15 marks; chirograph; witnesses, Henry le Waleys, mayor, Jurdanus Goodchep, Martin Box, sheriffs, John Norhampton, alderman of this ward; dated 12 June 1274.
49. Common plea held in the Husting, Mon. 13 June 1300.
William de Suthfolk by John de Cornhull his attorney, Richard Broke sheved and Alice his wife and Bordinus atte Grene came and recognised that they were bound to pay to the prior and convent an annual rent of 40s. from the whole tenement which William de Suthfolk has by a lease; the prior impleaded them by a writ of gavelet for £4 arrears of rent.
48 contd. The tenement was divided into two parts for the abbot of Sheppeton paid 31s. 6d. and Christine daughter of William de Suthfolk paid 8s. 6d., which Christine granted her part to John de la Marche called le Potter, paying in 4 Ed. II, which John granted it to Augustine le Waleys 10 Ed. II, which Augustine acquired the tenement formerly of the abbot of Scheppeton and so paid 40s. in 1 Ed. III as appears in a plea (fn. 3) held in the Husting, Mon. 21 Feb. 1334.
50. [f. 12] [1222–48] Grant by Richard prior and convent to Clement Joie of land and houses in the parish of St. Katherine; abutment, the priory garden on the west; in breadth along the king's highway 9 ells and in breadth at the other end, towards the south, 7 ells, and in length 49 ells; rent 5s. p.a; the canons to have the preference by 12d. if the grantee wishes to sell the land; Clement received the land with buildings on it (terram hospitatam) to the value of 40s.; if the grantee wishes to give up the land he shall leave it with buildings on it to the above value unless they have been destroyed by fire (terram … quam si ipse vel heredites sui relinquere voluerunt, dimittent earn hospitatam ad valorem eiusdem precii vel de precii satisfacienti dictis canonicis inf (ra) igne alieno combusta fuerit quia tunc non tenebuntur ad predictum precium solvendum); gersuma 4 marks; witnesses, Gilbert the alderman, Richard May.
52. [c. 1280–9] Grant by William son of Clement Joie to William prior and convent of 12d. of quit rent from land held of the canons; the canons to distrain on his house both for the 12d. and 5s.; the canons gave 8s.; witnesses, Robert Cunyngham, William Suthfolk.
53. Common plea held in the Husting, Mon. 13 June 1300.
Sampson Orfeur and Christine his wife came and recognised that they were bound to pay to the prior and convent an annual rent of 6s. for the tenement, once of Katherine Joie, and that they were 12s. in arrears.
54. Common plea held in the Husting, .
The prior is attached to reply to Augustine de Woxbrigge and Matilda his wife in a plea of taking naam; the pls. complain that the prior has taken naam from their free tenement adjacent on the west to the tenement in which they live in the parish of St. Katherine within Aldgate on Sat. 19 Feb. 1334 to the value of 1s. and that he held it until a pledge was given to William Haversand, sheriff, that they would come into court. The prior came and said that the tenement from which naam had been taken was held of him and his church at a rent of 6s. a year of which service his predecessor Roger Pole had been seised by Augustine and Matilda the true tenants of the tenement in the right of Matilda and since 6s. was in arrears on the day on which he took the naam, he ordered the taking of the said 1s. as part of 1s. 6d. that was the first quarter's rent of that year. Augustine and Matilda came and could not deny that they held of the prior at a rent of 6s. a year and the prior held his naam and the pls. were in mercy.
51 contd. John Malwyn, 31 Ed. III; now [1425–7] the nuns of Derteford and the tenements are situated adjoining each other opposite the chapel of St. Katherine between the holdings of Holy Trinity on both sides.
55. Lease by Ralph prior and convent to John de la Marche, citizen, of land in the parish of St. Katherine towards (versus) Algate; abutments, the chapel of St. Michael on the north and the land of John Page on the south; in length 837/8 ells and it lies in breadth between the City wall of the said chapel on the west and the land of William Manhale on the east and contains in breadth at the north end 15¼ ells [f. 13] 3 ins. and at the south end, from the land of John Cokermuth on the east to the lane called Belleyetlane on the west 483/8 ells; rent 53s. 4d. p.a. for this tenement and that of John in the parish of St. Katherine; abutments of the latter, the tenement of Alice de Chyngeford on the east and that of the prior of Sippeton on the west; prior and convent to have the right to distrain him or those into whose hands the land comes if the rent is unpaid; witnesses, Nicholas de Farndon, mayor, Hugh de Garto, Robert Burdeyn, sheriffs, Anketinus de Gisors, alderman of this ward; (fn. 4) dated 7 July 1314.
56. [List of those paying rent]: John de la Marche who granted the land to John Clakton by charter (fn. 5) enrolled 11 Ed. II; Henry de Canterbury, 19 Ed. II; Robert Echyngham, 1 Ed. III; Richard de Kant, 17 Ed. III; [See also after 57] as appears by the following plea.
57. Common plea held in the Husting, Mon. 27 Jan. 1343.
The prior seeks against Richard de Kent a messuage with garden and five shops with five solars as his right and that of his church as by gavelet according to the custom of the City and says that Richard holds of him and his church by a rent of 4 marks: Richard de Wymbisshe was seised by John de la March of his rent, 64 marks in arrears when writs were issued on 1 Jan. 1342 for 16½ years preceding and the messuage could not be distrained upon for a year and a day; Richard by his attorney Christian de Bury came and said that he had a lease for life of these tenements from Simon de Echynghamme, parson of the church of Hercmonnceux, with reversion to James heir to Simon son of Simon's brother Richard, by which he could not withdraw (deducere) the said tenement and he sought aid from James. On 5 May 1343, Richard de Kent and the prior came and James de Echynghamme did not come and it was agreed that Richard should reply alone and he said that he did not hold by the above service and that Richard de Wymbissh was not seised as the present prior said and he placed himself upon the country; the prior likewise.
58. [f. 13v] [c. 1247–50] Grant by Richard prior and convent to William le Want (le Waunter) of land with houses in the parish of St. Michael towards Algate; abutments, Roger de Leuesham on the east and the land of Mabel Weddes on the west; in breadth along (iuxta) the king's highway on the south 11¾ ells and towards the north 13 ells and in length 431/8 ells; rent 8s. p.a.; not to give sell or pledge to Jews or to a religious house without consent; the canons to have the preference by 2s. if the grantee wishes to sell the land; gersuma 4 marks; witnesses, Gervase Bar(n), then alderman.
60. [1270–1] Grant by William Ganter to Holy Trinity of 2s. of quit rent from land in the parish of Holy Trinity held of the canons; William Rus, sacristan, gave 20s.; witnesses, John Andrewe, (fn. 6) mayor, Henry le Waleys, Gregory Rokesle, sheriffs.
59 contd. William le Gant, 10s.; William Glover; Richard Potterius, rector of Stapilford; John at Pole, 1 and 5 Ed. III; [f. 14] Thomas Savage, 20 Ed. III; who leased it to Henry his son as appears in his will (fn. 7) enrolled 23 Ed. III; Thomas Broun, 31 Ed. III; Margery Broun, 37 Ed. III; [See also after 61] as appears by the following plea.
61. Common plea held in the Husting, Mon. 19 Oct. 1360.
The prior is attached to reply to Margery widow of Thomas Broun in a plea of taking naam; Margery complained that the prior took naam from her free tenement in the parish of St. Katherine on Mon. 28 Sep. 1360 to the value of 10s. and that he held it until a pledge was given to Simon de Benyngton and John de Chichestre, sheriffs, etc. to the damage of the same Margery; the prior by Alan de Horewode his attorney said that the taking of naam was lawful because the lands, abutments, the prior and convent on the east and John de Wedford, skinner, on the west, were held of the prior and convent at a rent of 10s. a year and 5s. rent was in arrears for half a year; Margery came and could not deny it; the prior retains the distress and Margery is in mercy.
62. [1197–1221] Grant by Peter prior and convent to Wedde de Theiden, weaver, of land and houses formerly of Roger de Chigwell; abutments, William de Algate on the east, formerly Roger de Chigwell; [f. 14v] in breadth next the path 11¾ ells and in length 44 ells and in breadth at the north end 13½ ells; rent 10s. p.a.; the land contains ten houses and he should retain this number of houses on it; if he should wish to sell or lease part the prior and covent to have the preference by 1s.; swore fealty; gersuma 20s.; witnesses, Gilbert the alderman, William the clerk (clericus), Roger de Theiden, Richard de Cestre, Simon du Bar(y), Henry the Carpenter, William de Algate, Turg(er), William Crist(e)masse, Albrico, Richard de Kent.
63. [List of those paying rent]: Wedde de Theiden; Mabel Wedde; Master Vincent; G. de la Marche; Thomas de la Marche, 1 Ed. II; Ros de Boreford, 1 and 5 Ed. III; John de Bedford, 31 Ed. III; and then the tenement was divided for John Bedeford paid 6s. 8d. and John de Cauntbrigge 6s. 8d., 47 and 49 Ed. III; and William at Nax paid 3s. 4d. for the other part, 37 Ed. III and Robert Gill 3s. 4d., 47 Ed. III and 8 Ric. II.
64. [1197–1221] Lease by Peter prior and convent to Hubert de Anesty of land in the parish of St. Michael; abutments, the land formerly of Agnes, sister of St. Thomas and the land of London Bridge; the land given to Holy Trinity by Richard de Lucy for the soul of his son Geoffrey; rent 12d. p.a.; gersuma 1 gold bezant; witnesses, Ralph de Rochester (Roff.) William de Rochester, Eustace de Rochester, Richard de Rochester, Robert Walense, Robert de Woburna, Robert de Winchester, Master Henry Lafait, Fulk de Lymstrata.
65. [f. 15] [List of those paying rent]: Hubert de Anesty; Matthew the Chandler; Joan his widow, 5 and 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; John de la Bere, 5 Ed. III; William Berkyng, 31 Ed. III; William Makenheved, 34 Ed. III; Katherine Southe, 35 and 39 Ed. III; Robert Rus, 42 Ed. III and throughout Ric. II and Hy. IV and the tenement is situated in the west part of Belyetereslane, abutments, the tenement of the New Hospital of St. Mary without Bisshoppesgate on the south and the tenement [blank].
66. Grant by Ralph prior and convent to John (de) Sandale, clerk, of a garden in the parish of Holy Trinity; abutments, the land of the master of the monastery of Hornchurch and the tenement of Geoffrey de Fonte; in length near the king's highway which goes from Algate to the Tower by the wall of the City 88½ ells and in breadth from the house (managium) of John which he holds of Holy Trinity to the highway by the lands of the master of Hornchurch and William de Bristoll on the north 76¾ ells except a few inches; rent 20s. p.a.; the prior to have the right to distrain on lands which the lessee holds in the parish of All Hallows de Colmanchurche in case of non-payment of 20s. or 26s. 8d. for the abovementioned tenements; witnesses, Nicholas Farndon, mayor, William de Basyng, James le Botiller sheriffs; dated [f. 15v] Sun. 16 Feb. 1309.