The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate London Record Society 7. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 77] In the parish of St. Martin Orgar
385. Grant by Benet abbot and convent of Stratteford to Peter prior and convent of 7s. of land which Ralph Long held of them in the parish of St. Martin as appears in Charter Fourteen (fn. 1) of several parishes.
386. [List of those paying rent]: Ralph Long; Joce Junior; Stephen Casuen; the canons of Merton; John Casewem; Simon de Merworth, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; William Hamelamstede, 6 Ed. III; John Aubre, 36 Ed. III; Thomas Hanamstede, 49 Ed. III; Richard Odiam, 8 Ric. II and this tenement is situated on the north side of Candelwykstrete.
387. [1197-c. 1212] Grant by Peter prior and convent to Henry son of Rennerus son of Berengarius of a tenement in Candelwrithestrete in the parish of St. Martin in Candelwithestrate formerly held by Gilbert the clerk, nephew of Malger; rent ½ mark; to hold as long as the rent is paid without miskenning; swore fealty; land, in length 94 ft. and in breadth 25 ft.; gersuma 15s.; witnesses, James the alderman, Matthew the alderman, Maurice de Russie.
388. [List of those paying rent]: Henry son of Rennery; Godewin Marshal; Richard Sabrigtesworth; John Ferebras; John Fa(n)eneri; Walter Papworth, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; John le Clerk, 6 Ed. III; the nuns of Stratteford, 30 Ed. III and thereafter, and the tenement is situated on the north side of Candelwykstrete.
389. Grant by William son of Roger to John prior and convent of a quit rent of 24s. p.a. which Henry Dunolm and Agnes widow of Adrian Aschwy were accustomed to pay the grantor from two adjacent tenements in the parish of St. Martin from which sum 10s. went to the abbey of Bermundesey as appears by Charter Fifteen (fn. 2) of several parishes.
390. [List of those paying quit rent]: Henry Dorham then the two tenements were divided for Alice wife of Henry paid 12s. p.a. for one tenement and Margery daughter of Henry paid 2s. p.a. for the other, which Margery granted the tenement to Firminus the chaplain who paid 2s. to Holy Trinity and 10s. to the monks of Bermundesey as appears in their charter (fn. 3) enrolled [f. 77v] 2 Ed. I; afterwards Agnes Aswy paid all; Richard Abyndon; Adam the Tailor (Cissor) [See also after 391] as appears by the following plea.
391. Common plea held in the Husting, Mon. 14 Nov. 1300.
Adam Tailor and Denise his wife complained that the prior came to their free tenement in the parish of St. Martin Orgar and took naam to the value of 1s. etc. until through the gage and pledge of John Armenters etc.; and the prior came and it was agreed and Adam and Denise recognised that a rent of 14s. p.a. was payable and the prior remitted all arrears.
392. Common plea held in the Husting, Mon. 6 Feb. 1346.
Richard Bacon complained that on Wed. 1 Feb. 1346 the prior came to his free tenement in the parish and took naam to the value of 7s. etc. until by gage and pledge of Edmund de Hemenhale etc.; the prior came and claimed that the taking of naam was just because the tenement was held of Holy Trinity by a rent of 24s. p.a. and that the rent was 12s. in arrears; Richard could not deny this; the prior has return of the naam of 7s. and Richard is in mercy.