The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate London Record Society 7. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 79v] In the parish of Abbechirch
404. [1197–1221] Grant by Peter prior and convent to Ralph son of Osbert of land in the parish of St. Mary Abbechirch; abutments, the land which was of Robert Bat on the east; rent 12s. p.a.; the land 3¼ ells in width and 8½ ells in length; the prior and convent to have the preference by a bezant if the grantor wishes to sell the land; swore fealty; rent to be paid without miskenning; gersuma 2s.; witnesses, Solomon Vnbarrio, William Winter.
405. [List of those paying rent]: Ralph son of Osbert; Goda Gabliere; John Junior; John Norman; Fulk de Sancto Edmundo; Edmund the Tailor who granted the tenement to William de Morton who paid 12s. p.a. as appears by their charter enrolled 1 Ed. I; Richard Mereworth, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 and 6 Ed. III; Denise Virly, 30 Ed. III; Richard Chessham, 36 Ed. III; Edward Wodirton, 48 Ed. III and 8 Ric. II; John Halle; Robert Axstone, 1 Hy. IV and 1 Hy. V; John Sadeler and the tenement is situated on the north side of Candelwykestrete.
406. [1222–48] Grant by Richard prior and convent to Geoffrey Brokeshevede (de Brokesheved) of land with houses; abutments, the land of Amice daughter of William on the east and the land of Henry the Girdler (Corigiarius) on the west in Candelwykstrete, extending from the king's street to the cemetery of St. Lawrence the Martyr; rent 54s. p.a. [f. 80] declared that the value of the houses built on the land was 25 marks of silver; if Geoffrey or his heirs wish to leave the fee they shall leave the land fully built upon to the value of the above estimate unless it shall have been burnt by someone else's fire (nisi igne alieno combusta fuerit); the grantee and his heirs shall not destroy the houses or deteriorate the property nor lease it to Jews or religious houses; if they wish to sell or lease, the prior and convent to have an advantage of a bezant over other buyers; swore fealty; gersuma 100s.; witnesses, Joce Junior, alderman, Geoffrey de Essex, Simon de Stanes.
407. [List of those paying rent]: G. de Brokesheved and then the tenement was divided for Nicholas de Weston paid 27s. p.a. and John de Plumstede 27s. p.a.; Thomas de Winchester paid the whole sum, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 and 6 Ed. III; Robert Cor(um); William Olyver, 8 Ric. II and these two tenements are situated at length adjacent on the south side of Candylwykstrete.
408.  Grant by Henry called Juvenis, bureller (borelarius), to the prior and convent of Holy Trinity of 1 mark of quit rent in pure and perpetual alms for the augmentation of the vestments of the religious there; to be paid from a tenement in the parish of St. Mary Abbechirch in Candelwykstrete; abutments, the house in which the grantor lives on the west and the tenement of Stephen Ferbras on the east and north and the king's street of Candelwykstrete on the south; the grantor concedes for himself and his heirs that the prior and convent may take naam and distrain in all the tenement both for the mark and for arrears; sealed; witnesses, John Blount, mayor, Peter Bosenham, Robert. (fn. 1)
409. [f. 80v] [List of those paying quit rent]: Henry the Bureller (Borelarius); John de Winchester, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 and 5 Ed. III; Robert Kersteven, 30 Ed. III; New Hospital; Katherine Plom(m)er, 36 Ed. III; Richard atte Dyche, 48 and 49 Ed. III; Simon Mereworth and this tenement is situated on the south side of Candelwykstrete.
410. Grant by Thomas son of Thomas son of Robert Denxmas, former citizen and ropemaker, to John Malewayn, citizen and merchant, and Margery his wife of 60s. p.a. of quit rent of which 40s. came to the grantor after the death of Robert his grandfather by inheritance from all those tenements formerly of John Sterre in the parish of St. Mary Abbechirch situated on the corner (super cornerium) between St. Lawrence street on the east and the tenement of the late William de Stanford on the west and Candelwykstrete on the north and the close of the college of St. Lawrence on the south; and 20s. p.a. of quit rent which the grantor received from Bartholomew Denxmars, citizen and ropemaker, from the same land; to hold to the grantees paying the services to the chief lords; sealed; witnesses, Richard Kisselynbury, mayor, John Notte, William de Wircestre, sheriffs; dated Sat. 9 July 1351.
411. Note: John Malewayn bequeathed to Holy Trinity the above-mentioned 60s. p.a. as appears by his will (fn. 2) enrolled in the Husting of Common Pleas, Mon. 26 July 1361.
Margin: Johannes Malwayn vinetarius admissus fuit in libertate civitatis Lond' et iuratus tempore Symonis Fraunces maioris et Thome Maryns camerarii et introitur in viridi papiro de empcione libertatum et apparuit viz. die jovis proxime post festum Epiphanie anno r.r. Edwardi tercii post conquestum xvj°.
413. Note: that Richard Renger granted to Richard prior and convent 14d. of quit rent from a certain tenement in the same parish as appears in Charter Sixteen (fn. 3) of several parishes.
414. [List of those paying quit rent]: Adam le Taillour; Awreda Pelham whose executor granted the tenement to William Jordan who paid 14d. to Holy Trinity as appears by their charter (fn. 4) enrolled 14 Ed. I; William Jordan granted the tenement to John Hatfeld as appears in their charter; Peter Hatfeld, 1 Ed. II; John Hatfeld, 19 Ed. II; John Yonge, 1 Ed. III; Thomas Yonge, 39 Ed. III [See also after 415] as appears by the following acquittance.
415. Indenture which witnesseth that Thomas Yonge son of John Yonge is liable to pay 14d. p.a. to the prior of Holy Trinity from the tenement of the said Thomas in the parish of St. Mary; know that John Ha(u)ekyn, rent collector of the prior and convent, has received 14d. for the whole year and that Thomas is quit by these presents; [f. 81] sealed by the two parties; dated Easter Week 1365.