The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 84] In the parish of Paternoster Chirch
434. Grant of William the Chamberlain (Camerarius) to Ralph le Justice of 42s. p.a. of quit rent as dowry (in librum maritagium) on the occasion of the marriage of Denise his daughter, from several tenements on condition that if he did not have legitimate heirs then the prior and convent of Holy Trinity should receive the 42s. as appears in Charter Seventeen (fn. 1) of several parishes.
435. Note: that Ralph le Justice confirmed to Richard prior and convent 6s. 8d. p.a. from the house of Peter de Trie because he did not have legitimate heirs, as appears in Charter Eighteen (fn. 2) of several parishes.
436. [List of those paying rent]: Peter de Trie; Jeremiah de Trie; Robert de Suthfolk, 4 Ed. I who granted the tenement to Walter de Forda [See also after 437] as appears by the following charter.
437. [1275–6] Grant by Robert de Suthfolk, citizen of London, to Walter de Forda, citizen, and Christine his wife of all the tenement which he had of the lease of Jeremiah de Trie in a lane called les Arches in the parish of St. Michael de Paternosterchirch; abutments, the wall of the seld called Wynchestreselde on the east and the said lane on the west and the tenement of the grantor on the south and that of Reginald de Samewelle on the north and containing in breadth along the lane 19¾ ells and in the middle 17½ ells 2 ins. and in length on the north 13 ells and on the south 153/8 ells; all conveyed except a room on the outside (camera forinseca) with a solar built over it between the wall of the grantor's tenement and the house of Walter; to Walter and his wife and to whomsoever they wish to sell, bequeath, mortgage; rent to the grantor and his heirs 1 silver penny on 24 June and to the chief lords of the fee service viz. to Holy Trinity ½ mark, to St. Mary's Suthwerk 4s., to St. Bartholomew de Smethfeld, 3s. 4d., to the nuns of Kelebourne 3s. 4d. and to lady Joan de Sancto Benedicto, a nun of Kelebourne 2s.; gersuma £20; [f. 84v] sealed; witnesses, Gregory de Rokesle, mayor and alderman of this ward, (fn. 3) John Horn, Ralph Blund, sheriffs.
C.A.D., iv, A 7823.
436 contd. Richard de Wihal, 1 Ed. II; John de Fridaiestrete, 5 Ed. II; Henry le Palmer, 19 Ed. II [See also after 438] as appears by the following plea.
438. Common plea held in the Husting, Mon. 15 Nov. 1339.
Henry le Palmer summoned to reply to the prior of Holy Trinity that he should do right service for his free tenement which he holds of him; the prior says that Henry holds a messuage of him at a rent of 6s. 8d. p.a. of which rent Roger Poley, later prior, was seised and that the rent was £4 in arrears on the day of the suing out of the writ, 12 Mar. 1338; he seeks the messuage as gavelet and Henry came and recognised that he held of the prior and his church and acknowledged the arrears; the prior recovers the messuage for a year and a day unless in the meantime Henry satisfies him as to the arrears; Henry in mercy and he came into full court and paid the arrears.
436 contd. Matthew Palmer, 30 Ed. III; Roger Torold, 36 Ed. III; Robert Fanner, 48 Ed. III; Agnes atte Hale, 8 Ric. II; William Norton, 8 Hy. IV and 7 Hy. V and the tenement is situated on the east side of Bowelane.
439. Note: William the Chamberlain (Camerarius) gave to Holy Trinity 8s. p.a. of quit rent from the house of Nicholas Dokett in the parish as appears in Charter Seventeen (fn. 4) of several parishes.
440. [List of those paying quit rent]: Nicholas Dokett; Reyner de Bungey; Hugh de Donyngton; [f. 85] Walter Waldesshef, 1 Ed. II and 6 Ed. III; Richard Lac(er), 30 Ed. III, who had two daughters Alice and Katherine, Alice was married to Robert Mar[n]i and Katherine to John atte Pole, between whom all the possessions of their deceased father were divided and then there was assigned to Katherine the whole tenement and she paid 8s. p.a. [See also after 441] as appears by the following indenture.
441. [French] Indenture made at London, Sat. 18 Oct. 1365, between Robert Marny, kt., and Alice his wife, daughter and one of the heirs of Richard Lacer senior, her father, late citizen, and sister and heir of Richard Lacer junior, Robert de Bourton, formerly guardian of the chantry of the church of Leyre Marny, John Mareys of Salcote Virly, chaplain, and Philip atte Brygge of the one part and Katherine, who was the wife of John atte Pole of Shordich, the other daughter and heir of Richard Lacer senior and sister and heir of Richard Lacer junior, of the other part, witnesseth that, since Katherine sued out a writ in the Husting against Robert and Alice to secure a sharing out of all the tenements held by the late Richard and his father upon the which writ it was awarded that the partition should take place according to the laws and usages of the City, on the day abovewritten there being assembled Adam de Bury, mayor, William de Halden, recorder, John de Brikelesworth and Thomas de Irland, sheriffs, Thomas Spigurnel and John de Romeseye etc. an agreement was made between Robert and Alice and Robert de Bourton, John Marreys and Philip who claimed an estate in the aforesaid tenements which should have belonged to Alice of her purparty by enfeoffment made to them by Alice before her marriage and Katherine in the following manner: declaration that Robert, John and Philip have for their purparty all the tenements between the church of St. Michael Paternosterchirch and Bowelane on the south side and the tenement held by Domengo de Espayne on the north and between the highway called le Reole on the west and Walbrok and a long stable of Domengo's tenement on the east together with the stone walls etc. belonging to the tenement and with access to light for the four windows in the said tenements on the north side, one window in the wall of the room, another in the wall of the solar at the end of the said room, one in the wall of the kitchen and the fourth in the stone wall of a cellar, in length and breadth as they are at present, with the gutters and other water courses descending from the same tenements already built or to be built in the future and that Katherine has for her purparty all the tenements held by Domengo with the stable and one solar over it extending to the north 13½ ells in length and in breadth on the west 7¼ ells and on the east 71/8 ells which tenements extend [f. 85v] along Walbrok and adjoin the tenements of Nicholas Bremble on the east and along the king's highway called la Roial on the west and between the aforementioned tenements assigned to the other purparty on the south and the tenement of Nicholas Bremble on the north with the gutters and water courses descending from the roof of the said solar on the south side towards the said stable; and it was agreed between the two parties that respecting the payment of 11 marks devised in the testament (fn. 5) of Walter Waldeschef the purparty of the first party should be charged at 7 marks a year and the purparty of Katherine at 4 marks a year plus 29s. to the prior and convent of Seinte Maire Overee de Suthwerk and 8s. to Cristeschirche; also agreed that each of the parties shall pay these rents according to their portion and acquit the other of that portion of the rent assessed on their purparty and if any part of the rent be levied on the wrong purparty then either party shall have the right within a fortnight to distrain on the purparty of the other and take a sum equivalent to the sum that has been unjustly levied by the other party, if other charges are determined in the future, they shall be equally apportioned; each party shall hold themselves and their heirs and assigns to perform these covenants; sealed by the parties.
C.A.D., ii, A 2387.
440 contd. Katherine Pole, 3 Ric. II as appears by Acquittance Five (fn. 6) of several parishes; Drugo Barentyne, 8 Hy. IV; Richard Broun, baker, 9 Hy. IV who granted the tenement to the church of St. Michael and the tenement is situated on the east side of le Roial between the church of St. Michael recently (de novo) founded on the south and the tenement of Richard Whytyngton on the north.
442. [f. 86] [1218–19] Grant of Agnes daughter of Robert the Chamberlain to William her brother of 6s. 8d. p.a. of quit rent from land and a house; abutments, the land that was of Nicholas Duket on the south and land that was of Peter the clerk on the north; gersuma 4 marks; witnesses, Serlo the Mercer, mayor, John Viell, Joce, sheriffs, Thomas de Haverhill, Martin son of Alic', aldermen, Constantine son of Alulf.
443. [1218–19] Quitclaim of Robert de Bedford and Alexander his brother, sons of Agnes, to their uncle of property mentioned in 442; William Chamberlain gave ½ mark to each of them; witnesses, Serlo le Mercer, John Viell, Joce, T. de Haverhill, Constantine son of Alulf, Arnulf his brother.
444. Note: William the Chamberlain granted to Ralph le Justice 6s. 8d. p.a. of quit rent as dowry on the occasion of the marriage of Denise his daughter on condition that if he did not have legitimate heirs then the prior and convent of Holy Trinity should receive the 6s. 8d. as appears in Charter Seventeen of several parishes. [See 434].
445. Note: Ralph le Justice confirmed to the prior and convent 6s. 8d. of quit rent from the house of the countess of Oxford and because his wife and son were dead, the house had all, as appears in Charter Eighteen (fn. 7) of several parishes.
446. [List of those paying quit rent]: Countess of Oxford; Peter de Gysors who granted the tenement to Richard de Wylehale [See also after 447] as appears by the following charter.
447. [1266–8] Grant of Peter de Gysorco, citizen, to Richard de Wylehale as dowry on the occasion of his marriage with Joan the grantor's daughter of all that tenement in the parish of St. Michael; abutments, the grantor's tenement formerly held by Nicholas Duket on the south and his other tenement formerly held by Alan le Weyder on the north and above the highway on the west and Walbroke on the east; and 20s. of quit rent from the houses [f. 86v] which were once of William de Staundon in the parish of St. Michael Candelwystrate; 7s. of quit rent from land and houses once of the late Robert de Lenn in the parish of St. Andrew Estchep; all the grantor's houses with a garden and quay and meadow in Southwark and the marshes; 2 acres of meadow which lies in le Hale in the town of Stanes between the meadow of John de Laston and that of John the Reeve of Laleham; to hold to Richard and Joan and their heirs born of Joan; annual rents, to the king's socage 4d., to St. Bartholomew's hospital 20s., to Holy Trinity 6s. 8d., to the earl of Oxford 6d. or a pair of gilt spurs at Easter, for the said 20s. and for an old quit rent, to the nuns of Clerkenwell 8s., to the heir of John Norman 6d., for the 7s. of annual quit rent to the chief lord of the fee 1d. in the middle of Quadragesima, for the houses and garden in the town of Suthwerch and for the 2 acres in Stanes, to the chief lords of the fee, 2 clove-gillyflowers on 25 Mar.; sealed; witnesses, John Adrian, Luke de Batancort, sheriffs, John de Gisors, alderman of this ward, Reginald de Suffouk, Philip le Tailour, Henry le Waleis.
Margin: Hec Carta sigillatur cum cera viridi in pressa signo cuiusdam capitis habita in custodia executorum Ricardi Whytyndon.
446 contd. Richard Wyrehall who bequeathed the tenement to his son Richard as appears in his will (fn. 8) enrolled 14 Oct. 1331; John Talbot, 13 Ed. III; John Stodey, 30 Ed. III; Nicholas Brembyl, 42 Ed. III and 8 Ric. II; Richard Whytendon, throughout Hy. IV and Hy. V.
448. Total of this parish 21s. 4d. and it is tithed at this in the king's exemplification.