Magna Britannia: Volume 3, Cornwall. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1814.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS.
P. ix. It is very questionable whether there was any palace at Lostwithiel, erected either by Richard King of the Romans, or his son, Edmund Earl of Cornwall; indeed, more probable that there was not. See p. 203 of the Parochial History.
P. x. The gaol at Launceston still continues, being situated on the west side of the castle: it is small, but has been neatly sitted up. Prisoners are sometimes committed to it from the north and north-east parts of the county; and the prisoners from Bodmin are removed thither previously to taking their trials at the spring assizes. Debtors are confined only at Bodmin.
P. xix. Pinnock and Bradock or Broadoak-downs are now separate; there are some inclosures between them: in the time of the civil wars, it is probable that they were one open spacious down, called indiscriminately by the name of Pinnock or Bradock. Clarendon describes Ruthen's defeat as having taken place on the east side of Bradock-down, near Liskeard. Walker says, that King Charles, marching from Liskeard, encamped his army on the entrance of Pinnock-down, being the same spot where Ruthen was defeated. (fn. n1)
P. xxv. The hundred of Draneth is mentioned in a record of the reign of Richard II. (fn. n2) Binnerton, in the parish of Crowan, described as situated in that hundred, is now in the hundred of Penwith. In a record of the reign of Henry VI. (fn. n3), the church of Ruan-Major is spoken of as being in a district called Tyrath, which seems to have been synonymous with Meneage.
P. xxvi. note (b.) The jurisdiction of the town of Padstow belongs to the Archdeacon, and not to the Bishop, as hath been of late years supposed and acted upon. This appears from a deed of composition (now in the registry of the Dean and Chapter at Exeter) for settling the jurisdiction of the archdeaconry, as well as of the whole diocese of Exeter, entered into, on the 20th of March 1616, by all the dignitaries of the see of Exeter. By this deed the Archdeacon has the exclusive right of proving wills of all persons dying within his jurisdiction, "excepting knights, beneficed men, and such as are de robâ episcopi," and granting administrations. Padstow in rure is among the places reserved by this deed to the Bishop's jurisdiction. It is meant (see the last paragraph of note (b.) that previously to the year 1740, or thereabouts, wills were more universally registered at Bodmin: it has since been more common for monied persons to have property in the funds, in which case their effects being in two counties, their wills, as is well known, are registered in Doctors-Commons. It may be observed, that during the Bishop's triennial visitation (the Archdeacon's powers being suspended) wills are proved before the Bishop's officers, and registered in the Consistory Court at Exeter. The Archdeacon's court was removed from Lostwithiel to Bodmin in 1773; it had been before at St. Neots: the courts are held at Bodmin every Friday fortnight. The archdeacon's visitations are held at Launceston, Liskeard, Bodmin, Truro, Helston, and Penzance.
P. xxvii. note (c.) It should have been stated that Wendron, Liskeard, and Probus, are among the best vicarages: Calstock, and some other rectories not mentioned, are more valuable than any of the vicarages, except Menheniot, which is endowed with the great tithes.
P. xxxv. The existence of nunneries at St. Bennet's, Credis, and Hellnoweth, is very uncertain: there was certainly a monastery of some fort at St. Bennet's; and Credis belonged to that monastery, either as a cell or grange. The site of Hellnoweth belonged to St. Michael's Mount.
P. lxvi. The Bloyowes had also a capital mansion at Tregwell (we cannot ascertain in what parish), which Ralph Bloyowe had a licence for embattling in the reign of Edward III. (fn. n4)
P. lxxxix. xc. The name of Trelawney is spelt with an e in the Baronetages: the spelling of Trelawny, as in p. 257, 258, was adopted when we found that it was now so written by the family. — Upon the death of Charles Trelawny, Esq., of Coldrinnick, (the last heir-male of that branch,) in 1764, the name was taken by Henry St. George Darell, Esq., son of William Darell, his mother's younger brother, who, dying without issue, the name of Trelawny was taken, and the estate of Coldrinnick inherited, by Daniel Crabbe, Esq., son of John Crabbe, of Plymouth, by Frances, second daughter of Henry Darell, Esq., of Trewornan, elder brother of the mother of Charles Trelawny above-mentioned. This Daniel Trelawny of Coldrinnick, dying also without issue (in 1795), the name was taken and the estate inherited by Edward Stephens, Esq., a Captain in the Royal Artillery, son of Edward Stephens, of Plymouth, and grandson of the Rev. Edward Stephens, vicar of St. Kew, by Anne, third daughter of Henry Darell, Esq., of Trewornan before-mentioned: the son of the said Edward Trelawny (now a minor) inherits Coldrinnick; but it will be seen by the foregoing statement, that he is not representative in blood of the Coldrinnick branch of the Trelawnys, which appears to be wholly extinct. It appears that he, and not his uncle (the Rev. Darell Stephens, who inherits Trewornan by will), is the representative of the Darells of Trewornan. See p. cii. and 239.
P. xciv. The eldest sister of Philip Hawkins (the last representative of the Pennans family), married Carlyon of Tregrehan. Thomas Hawkins (father of Sir Christopher, whose father had married one of the other sisters,) inherited Trewithan under the will of Philip Hawkins above-mentioned.
P. ci. Arthur Burell, Esq. is not known to be the representative of the ancient family of that name: he possesses the estate by virtue of a devise made by the last male heir to a namesake, not known to be related. Burell, therefore, should have been among the extinct families, p. cxxv.
P. civ. The Rev. Edward Giddy died in the month of March 1814, and was succeeded by his son, Davies Giddy, Esq., M.P. See also p. clxxvii. Francis Glanville, Esq. of Catchfrench, should have been mentioned as the present representative of the Glanville family. Thomas Grylls, Esq., died in December 1813. See also p. 19, 63, and 76 of the Parochial History.
P. cxx. The animal borne by Sir John Arundell in his coat armour, between the swallows, was a wolf, the bearing of Trembleigh, whose heiress, his ancestor, married. See a cut of this coat of Arundell, p. lxxix.
P. cxxii. There seems to be an error in the heraldic accounts, which state that Beare married a coheiress of Serjeaux: no such match appears in the record of the inquisition, taken after the death of Sir Richard Serjeaux. See p. cl.
P. cxlvii. Sir William Gordon Cuming Gordon, Bart., is representative of the Praeds in the female line, through the Penroses. The Pypers of Tresmarrow bore for their arms—a chevron between three shovelers.
P. clxxv—clxxviii. Gentlemen's Seats. — Mr. Grylls and Mr. Wymond are dead; Bosahan and St. Cadix are now the seats of their widows: John Borlase, Esq., is also dead, and has left a son, who is a minor. Commodore Penrose is now a Rear-Admiral: Harwood has been sold to W. L. Salusbury Trelawny, Esq. Mrs. J. C. Wollacombe, of Langford-hill, is dead: it is now the seat of Thomas Hole, Esq. The Rev. William Robinson has left Nansloe. Pennare is now the seat of Captain Barrington Reynolds, of the Royal Navy. John Lemon, Esq., is dead: Polvellan is now the property of John Buller, Esq., of Morval. John James, Esq., of Rosemundy, has been some time dead. Mr. Charles Peter was drowned in the Padstow river, March 30, 1814. Captain Todd has left Cornwall; and Trenarth is now occupied as a farm-house. Mrs. Arminel Inch is dead; Treworgy is occupied by her surviving sister, Mrs. Ann Hodge. — Add to the seats, Bosvigo in Kenwyn, now occupied by Captain James Woolridge of the Royal Navy; Burncoose in Gwennap, by Michael Williams, Esq.; Perran-wharf, Mr. — Fox; and Trevince in Gwennap, occupied by John Williams, Jun. Esq.
P. clxxxi. The moors extend from near Blisland church on the west, to near Northill church on the east, about 10 miles; and from near Davidstow church on the north, to near St. Neot church on the south, about 12 miles, running into the four hundreds of Lesnewth, East, West, and Trigg, and including, besides the whole of Temple, the greater part of 12 parishes, viz. Davidstow, St. Cleather, Alternon, Northill, Linkinhorne, St. Cleer, St. Neot, Warleggan, Cardinham, Blisland, St. Breward alias Simonward, and Advent. These moors abound with picturesque hills, and tors composed of immense masses of granite (fn. n5) : they are much resorted to for hare-hunting in the spring, the ground being dry, and the hares remarkably strong: the small rivers on the moors abound with the black trout. The moors are very capable of agricultural improvement.
P. clxxxii. The sea has considerably encroached on the coast in the hundreds of Stratton and Lesnewth, within the last 50 years, particularly near Budeharbour, where the sand-hills are rapidly lessening, being carried off by the waves. (fn. n6)
P. cxc. An act was passed in the year 1774, for making a navigable canal from Bude-harbour to the river Tamar, in the parish of Calstock; but no part of it has as yet been made. The Tamar manure navigation, which skirts the county, was to have been brought on as far as Horse-bridge, in Stoke-Climsland. In the year 1773, an act of parliament was passed for making a canal from MawganPorth through the several parishes of Mawgan, St. Columb Major, Little-Colan, and St. Columb-Minor, to Lower St. Columb Porth. This canal was begun, but the work was abandoned after the death of Mr. Edyvean, the projector and undertaker, and what had been dug has for the most part been filled up and levelled.
P. ccix. The lease of copper to Mr. Williams and others, is to take place after the expiration of a term granted to Sir William Lemon, Bart. The manors of Calstock, Restormell, Penlyne, and Penkneth, are not included in the lease, nor that of Tywarnhaile, of which Mr. Carpenter of Moditonham has a separate lease. Edward Smith, Esq., who is one of the lessees with Mr. Williams, &c. has oneeighth of the copper dues of Tywarnhaile, as appears by an advertisement from that gentleman, in the Cornwall Gazette, May 7, 1814.
— The right of raising silver in the mine of Wheal Duchy, in the manor of Calstock, was granted to John Williams, Esq., R. William Fox, Esq., and others, for 31 years, in 1810; other silver lodes having been discovered by Mr. Williams, in the manor of Calstock, in the following year. A lease of the right of searching for silver, in the whole of the manor of Calstock, was granted by His Royal Highness the Prince Regent, as Duke of Cornwall, for the same term, in the month of August 1811, to Messrs. Williams and Fox, in conjunction with Benjamin Tucker, Esq., Surveyor-General of the Duchy. Wheal Duchy mine promises considerable profit to the adventurers, although the silver as yet raised (about 5000l. worth) has not covered the expences attendant on the undertaking in its early stages. (fn. n7)
P. ccxiii. Manufactures. — There are gunpowder-mills now in Cosawes wood, near Penryn, built by Mr. Gill of Penryn, about 1810, which make about 2000 barrels annually; and others lately erected in the parish of Stithians, which make from 800 to 1000 barrels. The annual consumption of gunpowder in Cornwall (chiefly for mining) is calculated at 4000 barrels. Since the establishment of Mr. Gill's mills, the price of gunpowder, which was before wholly imported from London, has been reduced from 6l. 10s. to 5l. per hundred. There is an iron-foundery at Perran cove, in the parish of Milor; near Kennall wood, in the parish of Stithians, a paper-mill belonging to Mr. Tucker, and another at Ponsneuth, in the same parish, belonging to Mr. Rowe: there is a paper-mill also in the parish of Liskeard. A sail-cloth manufactory was established at Gluvias, upon a large scale, about 1807, by Mr. Eliot, but has been discontinued. At Perran-mill is an arsenic manufactory (fn. n8); and at Penryn, manufactories of mustard and snuff. (fn. n9)
In the foregoing parochial account we had some difficulty, with respect to the orthography of the names of villages, &c., as we have frequently found persons, whose authorities we might suppose equally good, spelling the same names differently. We have generally, wherever there has been a doubt, adopted Martyn's spelling wholly, or given it with an alias. With respect to manors and bartons, we have found many estates of the latter description, which, in all ancient records, are described as manors, but have long ceased to be deemed such; their manerial rights, most probably, having been alienated, or lost by long disuse. With respect to the true definition of a barton, a term in general use in the two western counties of Cornwall and Devon, the best informed persons differ in their opinion; some suppose it to be strictly confined to the demesne lands, and mansionhouse of a manor; others that it is the principal farm or grange of a manor with a house, but not the manor-house; whilst others again give it a greater latitude, and suppose it to extend to all large farms, with houses and homesteads; all smaller farms being called tenements. According to the first sense, every real barton, if not now esteemed a manor, must formerly have been possessed of manerial rights. It has been our plan and intention, for the obvious reason of compressing our work into a moderate compass, to treat only of manors and bartons, with the exception of such smaller tenements as have been the residence of Gentlemen's families; in some instances, the mention of estates, not so circumstanced, has probably, without our designing it, been introduced. In the folgoing appendix, besides giving such additional information as we have obtained since the work has been printed off, we have endeavoured to correct such errors as have arisen either from inadvertency or misinformation, and to note such changes as have taken place, during the length of time which has elapsed since we began our collections, and which the nature of the work and other circumstances have rendered unavoidable. In this we have been indebted for much assistance to Mr. John Wallis, Jun. of Bodmin, whose kind services have been already acknowledged; to Mr. John Edwards of Truro, Mr. George John of Penzance, Mr. G. B. Kingdon of Stratton, Mr. E. Coode, Jun. of St. Austell, Mr. John Borlase of Helston, and other professional gentlemen.
—P. 14. The manor of Tredawl has been purchased by J. Sawle Graves, Esq. Mr. Archer's manor of Trelawny had not passed with Gunnon and Tregarlick, but was purchased of the Wadges in 1758, and had before been successively in the families of Trehawke, Oliver, and Truscott.
— P. 15. This parish is spelt, in various ancient records, Antone; and by Mr. Carew, the present possessor of the estate, and others, Antony. In ecclesiastical records, it is written Anthony. — P. 16. Thancks is occupied by the Dowager Lady Graves.
ST. AUSTELL, p. 20, Add Trevarrick to the villages. P. 21, Trenans-Austell has not of late years been esteemed a manor: the estate is now wholly vested in Mr. Tremayne, except one field which is in undivided moieties between him and Mr. Graves. — P. 22, Another manor of Tregorrick, which had belonged to the Arundells, was lately purchased of Lord Arundell, by Edward Coode, Esq. — P. 24, Menacuddle, in a deed of the reign of James I., is called, but improperly, a parish: more ancient deeds describe it as a free chapel. Hensburrow is partly in this parish. See p. 278.
— P. 28. Since this part of the volume was printed, Napoleon Bonaparte having been driven from his usurped throne, it may be presumed that the Pitt diamond is again in the possession of its lawful owner.
— P. 30. Mrs. Gilbert was, at the time of her marriage with Mr. Gilbert, the widow of the Rev.— Vivian. — P. 31. The gate-house, also of the convent of grey-friers is remaining. — P. 33. Before the passing of the act in 1778, the county bridewell, (a building near the church, now used as a brewery,) and the sheriffs' ward, were at Bodmin: County meetings, except such as are mentioned under Lostwithiel, are held at Bodmin: the general agricultural meeting is held there on the Tuesday before Whitsunday. A large work-house was built in 1756, on some of the Friery lands now belonging to the corporation, at the expence of Sir William Irby, bart., afterwards Lord Boston, then one of the representatives of the borough. —P. 34. The prior's name is spelt Vyvyan on the tomb. The advowson of the vicarage had been for many years, and was, till the year 1782, in the Prideaux family. — P. 35. The site of St. Nicholas' chapel, now belonging to Mr. Roger Dawe, is at the head of St. Nicholas-street. — P. 36. The grammar-school is held in the old chapel adjoining to the church: the master's salary is now made up 100l. per annum. There is a school for reading, writing, and arithmetic, at the work-house; the master of which has a salary of 10l. per annum from the corporation. The Wesleyan methodists have a Sunday school for about 200 children. The ruins of the chapel (fn. n10) of St. Lawrence's hospital are now used as a stable: nearly facing this is an old building belonging to the hospital, said to have been erected for the purpose of a market-house: an inscription on the front commemorates Richard Carter of St. Columb, merchant, as having given 10l. to the hospital, which was expended in the making of this building in 1586. The hospital of St. Anthony stood in chapel-lane: the buildings have been pulled down within memory: the site now belongs to Mr. Bray by purchase from the corporation, under the landtax redemption act.
— P. 47. The manor of Penrose-Burden is partly in St. Tudy, in which parish, Hengar, its manor-house, is situated. See p. 314. The description of "large extent comprising the whole of Roughtor and the adjoining moors" should be applied to the manor of Hametethy, and it would be more correct to say, a considerable part of the adjoining moors. Lank, in this parish, has long been the property and residence of a branch of the Billing family, by whose descendant, (a farmer,) it is now possessed. John Wallis, Esq. is lessee of the great tithes under the church of Exeter.
— P. 48. To the villages, add Alsa, Selena, and Tregurno. — P. 50. The present possessor of Pendrea is the Rev. Uriah Tonkin Moore. — P. 51. Boskenna and Boskennal both belong to John Paynter, Esq. Triclodevas, an old seat of the Grosse family, belongs now to the devisees of the late John Knill, Esq.
— P. 53. & 54. Harwood-house, situated on a very beautiful spot upon the banks of the Tamar, was built by Mr. Foote. The scenery at Newbridge, in this parish, is also singularly beautiful. Harwood has lately been purchased of Walter Roberts, Esq., by William Lewis Salusbury Trelawny, Esq., who now resides there. Sandhill, in the parish of Calstock, built by the Rev. John Russell, has lately been purchased by Thomas Wallis, Esq.; it is at present unoccupied: Hengeston-hill is in this parish.
—Mr. Stackhouse's manor, spoken of in this page, is Treslothan or Trelothan. In the early part of the 17th century, it was in moieties between the families of Prideaux and Arundell; one moiety was purchased by Alexander Thomas, alias Pendarves, of Jonathan Prideaux, Esq., in 1619; the other was acquired by marriage about ten years afterwards: there are the remains of a chapel upon this estate. — P. 54. Higher-Rosewarne is the seat of William Harris, Esq.
—P. 57. The four sisters of Lord Dinham married Sir John Carew, John Lord Zouch of Harringworth, Sir Thomas Arundell, and Sir Fulke Fitz-warren. The Carews appear to have sold their share of the Cardinham estate to the Comptons, (ancestors of the Marquis of Northampton) from whom it passed to the Arundells in 1573. Edward Lord Zouch sold his share of this estate in 1577 for 500l. to William Billing of Cardinham, who, the next year, conveyed it to Sir John Arundell. On the death of the last Bourchier, Earl of Bath, (heir of the Fitz-warrens), a fourth of this estate was divided between his daughters Lady Dorothy Grey, and Anne, Countess of Middlesex. The Earl of Stamford, son of the former, sold his share of this fourth in 1686, to James Grove, Esq., afterwards serjeant-at-law; the latter, in 1707, conveyed it to Sir Richard Billing, who had married the heiress of Arundell. Sir Bourchier Wrey, Bart., who inherited the other moiety of the Bourchier property, sold his share of the Cardinham estate, with the exception of certain lands, to Dennis Glynn, Esq., whose descendant, E. J. Glynn, Esq., is now possessed of the whole of the manor of Cardinham, except the lands above-mentioned.
— P. 63. and Cury, p. 76. Read the late Thomas Grylls, Esq. — P. 64. The manor of Bosuen is now, under Lady Arundell's will, the property of Lady Clifford. — P. 65. Sir John Arundell, who died in 1379, and was buried at St. Columb, was a distinguished military commander; and being then one of the admirals of the fleet, was shipwrecked on the coast of Ireland, as he was sailing with an army for the relief of the Duke of Britanny. "The said Sir John Arundell, says Holinshed, "lost not only his life, but all his furniture and apparell for hys body, which was very sumptuous, so that it was thought to surmount the apparell of any King; for he had two and fiftie new sutes of apparell of cloth of golde or tiffew, as was reported, all the which, together with his horses and geldings, amounting to the valew of ten thousand marks, was lost in the fee. (fn. n11) " P. 65. The advowson has been sold to the Rev. George Moore of Garlinnick.
— P. 69. The benefice is a curacy in the gift of the parishioners: it was originally a chapel of ease, but made parochial in the year 1532 (fn. n12).
— P. 74. In the year 1622, a pamphlet in small quarto was published, entitled, "Somewhat written by occasion of three Sunnes seene at Tregnie in Cornwall, the 22 of December last." — P. 76. Thomas Hartley, Esq. has lately purchased Bochym. The great tithes are now vested in the representatives of the late Thomas Grylls, Esq.
—P. 81, 82. The fee of Treworder is in Mr. Tremayne. Park and Pencarrow are not now esteemed manors. There is a small manor called Overleigh in this parish, belonging to Sir A. O. Molesworth, Bart. — P. 83. The revenues of Wadebridge are under the management of the lords of the manors of Pendavy and Pawton, the rector of St. Breock, and the vicar of Egloshayle.
—P. 85. Sir John Cheny was Speaker of the House of Commons, 1 and 6 Hen. IV. (fn. n13) The manor of Lower Trefreock (fn. n14) or Trefreke, and the barton of Trevathan in Endellion, and St. Kew, now the property of Henry Peter, Esq. of Harlyn, were acquired by marriage with the Harper family in the year 1715.
—P. 90. It is the advowson of the prebend of Heredum Marney that is in the patronage of the Hon. Mrs. Agar: the advowson of Trehaverock has long been in the Gray family, and now belongs to Mr. Richardson Gray.—P. 90. Tregasow is not now esteemed a manor. No part of the manor of Trevenen extends into this parish.
—P. 93. Gear, occupied by Mr. Tippet, belonged to the late Rev. Edward Giddy, and was bequeathed by him to his daughter Mrs. Guillemart. Tredrea is now in the possession of Davies Giddy, Esq., M.P. The Dean and Chapter of Exeter are patrons of the vicarage.
—P. 96. Edward Coode, Esq. has purchased the manors of Lansladron, Tregenna, and Tregennow: certain estates, parcels of the manor, had been sold in severalties.—Polsew, though so described by Tonkin, is neither manor nor barton.—P. 97. There are several tenements, parcel of what was formerly the manor of Tregian, belonging to Lord Mount-Edgcumbe and others: Mr. Gaved's is not a barton.
—P. 106. The manor of Tolverne, consisting merely of some reserved high rents, has been conveyed by Sir Christopher Hawkins to Lord Falmouth, in exchange for the manor of Grampound.—P. 107. Cregmurrion, the seat of John Penhallow Peters, Esq. is in this parish.
—P. 109, 110. Mr. Rashleigh's is called the borough manor, Mr. Austen's the burgage manor.—P. 111. The manor or royalty of the manor of Penfentinow, in this parish, belongs to Lord Grenville: it was formerly in the Mohuns. The greater part of the demesne lands, including the manor-pound, &c. belong to J. T. Austen, Esq. The Rev. John Pomeroy is dead: his heirs are his sister Mrs. Peter, and his nephew Joseph Hamley, Esq.
— The site of the priory at St. Germans, with other estates, was granted on lease to John Champernowne, 31 Hen. VIII., at the rent of 6l. 15s. 11d. The following year the same lands were granted in fee to Katherine, widow of the said John, Ridgway and Smith, in consideration of the sum of 434l.
—P. 122. The greater part of Porthmellin is in the parish of Mevagissey. The Trevascus estate is called in some deeds, "the manor of Trevascus and Gorran," but does not appear to possess any manerial rights.—P. 123. Lord Clinton's moiety of Treninick is now the property of Edward Gwatkin, Esq. A great part of the manor of Carhayes is in this parish. The manor of Tregennow is wholly in St. Ewe. — P. 124. Deadman point is in this parish.
—P. 126. Trevayler has been long in the family of Veale, and is now the property and residence of the Rev. William Veale, who has considerable property in the parish. George John, Esq. has much improved the scenery of this parish by large plantations on Rosmorran-Cairne (fn. n15), and another of his estates called Trye in this parish.
—P. 127. The manor of Tresithney, in this parish, which had been long in the Arundell family, is now by bequest of the Dowager Lady Arundell, vested in her daughter, Lady Clifford: the manor of Cusgarne, in this parish, is in severalties. Trevince is now occupied by Michael Williams, Esq. Burncoose is the seat of John Williams, Jun., Esq.
—P. 127. Camborne is the post-town of Gwinnear. Add to the villages Carwin-sawsin, called in Martyn's map, Cossawsin: the barton mentioned in p. 128, is of the same name. The manor of Roseworthy was of the fee of Gloucester. The heiress of Courtenay gave it to John de Vere, her son, by her second husband, whose descendant, the Earl of Oxford, sold it to Sir John Arundell about the year 1578: it was purchased of Lord Arundell by William Harris, Esq. The Willyams family were only lessees of the barton.
—P. 134. Tregember or Tregembo is now the property of Miss Borlase, daughter of the Rev. William Borlase, and her cousin Miss Borlase, daughter of the late John Borlase, M. D. The mothers of these ladies were sisters and coheiresses of Charles Penneck, Esq. of Tregembo, which is now occupied by the Rev. Humphrey Willyams.
—P. 143. The manor of Penhallam, which extends into the parishes of Poundstock, Week-St. Mary, and Boyton, has been recently sold in several lots. The manor of Ebbingford or Efford extends into this parish.
—P. 149. Add to the villages Polmanter. — P. 150. Trenwith is the property of Mr. William Lander, and other representatives of the Trenwiths. — P. 151. The great tithes consist of corn, wool, and lamb.
—P. 152. The manor of Trewannett in St. Juliott, Tintagell, and other parishes, belonged to the Robartes family, and having been bequeathed by the last Earl of Radnor of that family, to Sir James Laroche, Bart., was sold in 1793 to Charles Rashleigh, Esq.: it is now the property of Mr. Edward Pearce of Camelford, by whom it was purchased of Mr. Rashleigh. An estate called Trewannett, in St. Juliott, probably the site of this manor, belongs to Francis Rawle, Esq.: the manor pound belongs to William Rawle, Esq. The barton of Trelill is the property of Mr. Richard Rawle of Redruth. Small-hill is in the parish of Otterham. Francis Rawle, Esq. is joint impropriator of St. Juliott: it appears by a terrier of the year 1727, that Richard Rawle, Gent., then held the whole impropriation; one half as lessee under the Molesworths, and the other half for the remainder of a lease of 999 years, granted to his family by the Eliots. This parish has been augmented by Queen Anne's bounty. The sum of 400l. was laid out in the purchase of the tenement of Cancer in Otterham, and part of the tenement of Penpoll in Lesnewth.
St. Just in Penwith.
—P. 155. The proprietors of Bosvargus are, Nicholas Harris Nicholas, Esq., and Mrs. Ann Nicholas, widow. Pendeen and the great tithes are now the property of Samuel Borlase, a minor, son of the late John Borlase, Esq. On the Botallack estate is a celebrated tin and copper mine, extending to a considerable distance under the sea.
— P. 156. The manor of Landegy is now written Landegay: Martyn spells it Landegea. The manor of Blanchland extends over the whole parish, except what is comprised in that of Landegay. Killiow is at present unoccupied. The new church was built about 1803, from a plan of the late James Wyatt, Esq. The tower of the old church was purchased by the late Lord Falmouth, and kept up as an object from Tregothnan grounds.
— P. 157. We were misinformed as to a third of Allet having been for any length of time the property of Sir William Lemon, Bart.: it belonged to his uncle, the late Colonel Willyams of Carnanton; and was divided among his devisees. The manerial rights of this share now belong to Sir William Lemon. The estates described by our correspondent as Boswylick and Chyncoose, are, we understand, the same which are called by Martyn, Bosvisack and Steancoose, and now written Busvisack and Stencoose alias St. Coose: the latter is only a farm of about 40 or 50 acres. Bosvigo-house is now the residence of Captain Woolridge of the Royal Navy. Tregavethan, though surrounded by Kenwyn, has been chiefly connected with the parish of Kea, in the church of which it had an aisle. There is now a recess in Kenwyn church appropriated to it. For Roseeth read Roseveth.
— P. 170. The site of Rosswick or Rosewick is in St. Keverne, where there is a village of the name, by Martyn, spelt Rosvick, which is still connected with this manor. The Lizard light-houses are in this parish.
— P. 170. Sir Robert Jeffery, Knt., by his will, bearing date 1703, gave the sum of 520l. for the purchase of lands or houses, the rent of which is directed to be appropriated in the first place to the purpose of providing two shillings worth of bread weekly, for the poor of Landrake and St. Erney; the remainder to be paid to the school-master of Landrake, or some other person, to teach the children of the poor inhabitants of the said parish reading and writing, and to instruct them in the church catechism. The surplus now paid to the school-master is about 40l. per annum. There is an alms-house at Landrake; but the endowment, if any, has been lost; and we could not ascertain the name of the founder. The stone which recorded it has been lately removed.
— P. 183. Higher and Lower Trevick are very small villages; the former is commonly called High-way. In note (q.) dele "probably brothers." See p. lxvi. and lxvii. of the General History. P. 183 and 185. The chapel at Hall is still remaining.
—P. 191. Launceston is now a perpetual curacy, having been augmented by Queen Anne's bounty. P. 192. John Horwell, of the city of Dublin, by his will bearing date 1717, gave all the monies he left behind him for the purpose of maintaining, clothing, and educating six poor boys of the parish in which he was born; three of the boys to be elected by his nearest of kin, and three by the feoffees of the parish: he allows 30l. per annum for the maintenance of the boys; 6l. per annum for their clothes, which was to be uniform; 3l. per annum to a school-master; and 5l. per annum to a poor widow, to look after them; the boys to be admitted at seven years of age, and apprenticed at fourteen. About the year 1748, the sum of 1,900l. was received of Brewen Worthington, Esq., Mr. Horwell's executor, by Sir William Morice, Bart., then one of the feoffees of the parish, for the purposes of this charity, concerning which a Chancery suit had been then some time pending. This money had not been accounted for in 1756, when the opinion of the late Mr. Justice Gould was taken on the subject.
— P. 194. The barton of Raughtra or Raftra (the name of which, as well as that of the village, is erroneously printed Raughton or Rafton), and that of Bosistow, belong to the farmers by whom they are occupied.
— P. 202. Mr. Harris reserved the great tithes of the borough. The tenement of Lanseather, now let at 50l. per annum, is vested in the church-wardens for the repairs of the church. The site of Mr. Johnson's chapel is to lapse to the vicar, in case divine service should not be performed in it by dissenters. The corporation now allow 100l. per annum to the master of the grammar-school. A school for 100 boys has lately been opened, on Dr. Bell's plan; but it is not yet full; and another for 50 girls, on the plan of Miss Howell.
— P. 203, 204. A small part of the borough of Lostwithiel extends into St. Winnow, and a much larger part into Lanhvery parish. The Fowey river is navigable to this town for barges. The elections of knights of the shire and coroners are held at Lostwithiel; but the previous meetings for the nomination of the candidates, at Bodmin. The archdeacon's court was held at Lostwithiel from 1753 to 1773. Earl Mount-Edgcumbe is lessee of the manor. The vicarage has been augmented by Queen Anne's bounty.
— P. 209. The manors of Alwarton and Tywarnhaile, then late parcel of the possessions of Edmund Beaufort, were granted to Richard Duke of Gloucester, 9 Edw. IV. The barton of Alwarton now belongs to three ladies of the name of Wroughton. Landithy is held on lease by Mr. Bolitho, under William Praed, Esq. Rose Price, Esq. has recently purchased Trengwainton for his own residence. P. 210. Castle-Horneck is now occupied by Mr. John Boase; Poltair, by the Rev. Uriah Tonkin Moore. Nancealvern, in this parish, is the seat of John Scobell, Esq. The right to the advowson of Maddern is disputed by the heir of John Borlase, Esq. P. 211. A new pier was constructed about the year 1766; it was lengthened in 1782, and extended 150 feet in 1812 and 1813; being now more than 600 feet in length. A packet sails from Penzance, weekly, to the Scilly islands.
— P. 237. The barton of Worthyvale was given by William Farnham, Esq., to his nephew, the Rev. John Farnham, by whom it was given to the lady of Peter Hill, Esq., of Carwithenack.—P. 238. The patronage of the united rectory of Forrabury and Minster is alternate in the heirs of the late Sir Jonathan Phillipps and the committee of Miss Amy: the next presentation is vested in the latter.
— P. 238. The manor of Padstow-Penkevill extends into this parish. P. 239. The Rev. Darell Stephens, who inherits Trewornan, was younger brother of the late Edward Trelawny, representative of the Trelawnys and Darells.
— P. 244. One moiety of the manor of Pradannack-Wollas belongs to Vyel Vyvyan, Esq.; the other is subdivided. Edward Coode, Esq., is now impropriator of the great tithes, by purchase from Stephen Usticke, Esq., nephew and heir of Sir Michael Nowell, to whom they had been sold under the provisions of the land-tax redemption act.
— P. 252. Add Treator to the principal villages. The ancient name of Place-house was Gwarthandrea: it was afterwards called Prideaux-Castle. Treniow, another seat of the Prideaux family, has been pulled down. P. 255. Mr. Charles Peter was drowned in the Padstow river, March 30, 1814. The barton of Girles belongs to Richard Vyvyan, Esq. The seat of Thomas Rawling Esq., is called Saunders-hill. There was formerly a considerable village at St. Cadock.
— P. 268. The barton of Hollabury is, or was lately, the property of the Rev. Charles Dayman. Burshill, the property and residence of John Bryant, is said to have belonged to his ancestors, of the same christian and surname, for many generations.
— P. 269. Tregoll is the only large village: there are several smaller, as Coppet-thorn, Penhalt, Treskinnick-cross, Trewint, &c. P. 270. The manor of Penhallam extends into this parish. The Rev. Charles Dayman has reserved a life-interest in Trebarfoot.
— P. 281. We were misinformed as to several particulars relating to this parish. The manor of Tregonnebris is wholly in Mr. Buller: the other persons mentioned are only tenants. Bosvennen is the property of the Honourable Mrs. Agar (formerly Miss Hunt). John Borlase, Esq. is dead, and succeeded by his son, a minor.
— P. 284. There are two Prospidnecks or Prospinnecks, Higher and Lower. There was an intermediate proprietor of Truthall, between the Arundells and Judge Buller, of the name of Richards. An act of parliament was passed in 1811, for constructing a harbour at Portleven. P. 285. Three-fourths of the manor of Penventon belong to the Duke of Leeds; one-fourth to Miss Ormsby. The whole of one mioety of Gwavas belongs to William Carlyon, Esq., he having purchased one half of it of the devisees of Mrs. Elizabeth Veale.
—P. 286. The manor of Manaton was some time ago held jointly by Peter Hill, Esq., who had three-eighths, and — Wortley, Esq., who held the remainder as mortgagee under the Manatons: Mr. Hill's part, which includes the barton, was purchased, in 1813, by Mr. John Kinsman.
St. Stephens near Saltash.
— P. 290. There was a chapel at Earth. The present possessor of Burell, is Arthur Burell, Esq.; he is not known to be descended from the ancient family of that place. (fn. n16)
— P. 316. An inquisition of the reign of Edward IV. describes Lancrowe and Penpillek, in this parish, as manors then belonging to the Coplestones: there are now no such manors. Lancrowe is a tenement belonging to the Rev. Nicholas Kendall: there are several tenements at Penpillek, belonging to the Rev. H. H. Tremayne, the Rev. Nicholas Kendall, and others.
— P. 319. The manor of Trethake, in this parish, was formerly in a family of that name, afterwards in the Bodrugans: having been forfeited by the attainder of Sir Henry Bodrugan, it was given by King Henry VII. to Sir Richard Edgcumbe, and now belongs to his descendant, Lord Mount-Edgcumbe.