Magna Britannia: Volume 5, Derbyshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1817.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
SANDIACRE, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch and in the deanery of Derby, lies about nine miles and a half from Derby, on the borders of Nottinghamshire, and about half a mile from the Nottingham road. (fn. n1)
The manor of Sandiacre was held under the King, at the time of taking the Domesday Survey by Toli and Osmund. In the early part of Henry III.'s reign, it was the property of William, a younger son of Henry de Grey (ancestor of the Greys of Codnor and Wilton.) This William, or a son of the same name, had a grant from King Henry III., in 1268, of a market at Sandiacre on Wednesdays, and a fair for eight days at the festival of St. Giles. (fn. n2) Alice, daughter and heir of William de Grey, married William Hilary: their son John took the name of Grey, and was possessed of this manor in 1392. (fn. n3) One of the coheiresses of Grey alias Hilary brought Sandiacre to the Leakes in the reign of Henry IV. This manor was sold after the death of Nicholas Leake, Earl of Scarsdale, (which happened in 1736,) and is now the property of Francis Higginson, Esq.
William de Grey claimed a market and fair as above-mentioned, and the right of having a gallows in his manor of Sandiacre in 1330. (fn. n4)
The rectory of Sandiacre is the corps of a prebend in the church of Lichfield: it is held on lease under the prebendary, who is patron of the perpetual curacy. The present lessee is Mr. Benjamin Harrington. The Bishop is patron of the prebend.
SAWLEY, anciently called Salle, or Sallowe, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, and in the deanery of Derby, lies on the north side of the Trent, about nine miles from Derby. The parish comprises the parochial chapelry of Risley, which, with Breaston as a chapel of ease, is held as a separate benefice; and the parochial chapel of Little-Wilne, and the chapel of ease of Long-Eaton, which are held with Sawley.
The manor of Sawley belonged to the Bishop of Chester when the Survey of Domesday was taken. His successors, the Bishops of Lichfield and Coventry (fn. n7), have ever since continued to possess it. The manor has been long held on lease under the Bishop, by the Stanhope family. The Earl of Harrington is the present lessee of the manor of Sawley, including Little-Wilne, Long-Eaton, Wilstrop (fn. n8), and Draycot.
Bishop Longespee, in 1258, had a charter for a market on Tuesdays at Sawley, and a fair for three days at Michaelmas. (fn. n9) The market, which had been long discontinued, was revived soon after the year 1760, but not being much frequented was discontinued again before 1770: the markethouse, a small octangular building, still remains. The fair, which was held on the 12th of November O. S., was some years ago noted for the sale of mares and foals: the fair also has been discontinued.
In the parish church are two ancient monuments of ecclesiastics, without inscriptions; that of Roger Bothe, Esq., who died in 1467, and Catherine his wife, father and mother of Laurence Bothe, Bishop of Durham, (afterwards Archbishop of York (fn. n10),) and of John Bothe, Bishop of Exeter; and that of Robert Bothe, son of Roger (described as brother of John Bothe, Archdeacon of Durham, afterwards Bishop of Exeter (fn. n11), and Ralph Bothe, Archdeacon of York,) which Robert died in 1478. In the south aisle is an altar-tomb, in memory of Richard Shylton, merchant of the staple of Calais, 1510, and a memorial of Edmund Edmonson, Gent., 1582, and his wife Constance.
The rectory of Sawley has been from an early period the corps of a prebend in the church of Lichfield. Cardinal Gauselin, prebendary of Sawley, claimed, in 1330, assize of bread, &c., in the rectorial manor. These privileges were taken away because he had neglected to keep a pillory and tumbrell, but were restored on payment of a fine. (fn. n12) The Leech's were many years lessees of the prebendal manor: the present lessee is the Rev. Spencer Madan, D.D. The prebendary appoints the perpetual curate. The Bishop is patron of the prebend. There was a chantry in this church, founded by Ralph de Chaddesden, who was Treasurer of Lichfield in 1259. The endowment was valued at 5l. per annum in 1547.
Harrington bridge over the Trent, in this parish, was built about thirty years ago: the first stone was laid May 6, 1786, and it was finished in 1790.
The parochial chapel of Littk-Wilne, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, and in the deanery of Derby, lies on the banks of the Trent, about eight miles from Derby. The manor belongs to the Earl of Harrington.
In this chapel is the burial place of the Willoughby family; in which are monuments of Hugh Willoughby (fn. n13), and Anne his wife (daughter of Richard Wentworth, Esq.,) and Thomas, their son and heir, (no date;) Hugh Willoughby, Esq., 1491, and his wife Isabella, daughter of SirGervas Clifton, 1462; Hugh Willoughby, Esq., 1514; Hugh Willoughby, Esq., serjeant at arms, 1558, and Margaret his wife, sister to Edmund Molineux, 1511; Sir John Willoughby, Knt., 1625, and Frances his wife, daughter and heir of Henry Hawes, of Woodhall, Norfolk; and Ann, daughter and coheir of Sir Henry Willoughby, Bart., 1688. She married first Sir Thomas Aston, Bart., and afterwards the Hon. Anchetil Grey (fn. n14), second son of Henry Earl of Stamford. In the chancel is the monument of Henry Kayes, Esq., of Hop well, 1733; he married Mary, daughter of William Belasyse, of Owton, in Durham.
The chapel of Little-Wilne is held with Sawley, of which the prebendary is the patron.
Draycote, a populous village in this chapelry, is chiefly inhabited by stocking-makers, and other manufacturers. The manor, which is held under the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry, is in severalties.
The manor of Hopwell (Opewelle) was held by Ralph Fitz-Hubert at the time of the Domesday Survey, under the Bishop of Chester. In the year 1296, it appears to have been held under the Earl of Lancaster, by Ralph de Shirley. Some pedigrees of the Sacheverell family make Patrick Sacheverell to have been lord of Hopwell in the reign of Edward I.; and they are said to have acquired it by marriage with the heiress of Hopwell; but we find no such match recorded in any of the pedigrees of the family, nor any trace of its having been possessed by the family of Hopwell. Ferdinando Sacheverell, Esq. (fn. n15), by his will, bearing date 1661, bequeathed it to his cousin, Henry Kayes, Gent. Henry Kayes, Esq., sold it, in 1731, to Bache Thornhill, Esq., who in 1734 alienated it to Sir Bibye Lake, Bart., of Edmonton, in Middlesex. It is now the property, and Hopwell-hall the residence of Thomas Pares, Esq., whose father purchased it in 1784 of Sir Bibye's grandson, Sir James Winter Lake, Bart.
The chapelry of Long-Eaton lies about two miles from Sawley, and ten from Derby. The manor was held on lease under the church of Lichfield, by the Willoughby family, now by the Earl of Harrington. The chapel is held with Sawley, as a chapel of ease.
The parochial chapel of Risley, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, and in the deanery of Derby, lies on the road from Derby to Nottingham, eight miles distant from each. Roger de Busli appears to have been lord of Risley when the Survey of Domesday was taken; but in the same record it is stated that Levinus possessed one-third of the manor, and that he was succeeded by his son, who then held it. In the reign of Edward I., William Morteyne held this manor under the Pavely family. The heiress of his son Roger brought it to Sir Richard de Willoughby, one of the Justices, and some time Chief-Justice of the Common Pleas: his younger son Hugh settled at Risley, where his descendants continued for several generations. Henry Willoughby, Esq., elder son of Sir John Willoughby, Knt., was created a Baronet in 1611, and died without male issue in 1649. This manor became the property of Anne, one of his coheiresses by his first wife (fn. n16), who married Sir Thomas Aston, Bart., and afterwards the Honourable Anchetil Grey. The manor of Risley was purchased of Sir Willoughby Aston, Bart., by Mr. John Hancock, uncle of the Rev. John Hancock Hall, who is the present proprietor. The old hall at Risley, which was the seat of the Willoughbys, has been taken down: in the gardens, which belonged to this mansion, is a terrace nearly 300 yards in length, with a hedge of box, and several remarkably fine trees of variegated holly.
Woodhall park, in this chapelry, belonged to the Babingtons, of Chilwell in Nottinghamshire; and afterwards to the Sheffield family. It was purchased of Lord Sheffield in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, by Michael Willoughby; and having passed with the manor of Risley, is now the property of Mr. Hall. The park has long ago been converted into tillage.
The parochial chapel at Risley was built by Michael Willoughby, Esq., in 1593. In the chancel is a memorial for John Proudman, B.D., first master of the school, and minister of the united chapels, or as they are improperly termed churches, of Risley and Breaston, who died in 1724. The Earl of Stamford appoints the minister.
The above-mentioned Michael Willoughby, and Catherine his wife, gave 20 nobles (6l. 13s. 4d.) per annum, which was increased by Sir Henry Willoughby, their grandson, to 20 marks (13l. 6s. 8d.) towards maintaining a minister and schoolmaster at Risley. Mrs. Elizabeth Grey, their descendant, having built a school-house, with a habitation for the master and usher, in the year 1718 endowed the school with lands, then worth upwards of 50l. per annum, for the more comfortable maintenance of a school-master and usher to teach all children of the inhabitants of Risley, and the sons only of the inhabitants of Breaston, Sandiacre, Dale-Abbey, Stanton near Dale, Wilsthorp, Draycote, Little-Wilne, and Hopwell: the boys to be taught to read, write, and cast accounts, and so much of trigonometry as relates to the more useful part of mathematics; and the head-master to teach grammar and the classics to such boys as are qualified and desirous to learn: both masters to be constantly resident in the school-house. The minister of the chapel appears to have been head-master from the time of Mrs. Grey's foundation. We have not been able to learn what is the present value of the endowment; but it was returned at 100l. per annum in 1787. In the return of charitable donations then made to the House of Commons, it is observed, that the grammar-school had been a sinecure for many years; that a bill in chancery was filed in Lord Bathurst's time against the master, but it was dismissed. The grammar-school, in consequence, remains still a sinecure.
The chapel of Breaston lies one mile from Risley, and seven from Derby. The manor of Breaston (Braidestune) was held with Risley, when the Survey of Domesday was taken, by Roger de Busli. It appears to have been separated from Risley, and again united; for we find that Michael Willoughby, Esq., purchased it of the Babingtons in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. It is now the property of the Rev. John Hancock Hall. Marriages are solemnized and children baptized at Breaston, but the inhabitants have always buried their dead at Little-Wilne; the chapel-yard at Breaston not having been consecrated.
SCARCLIFFE, in the hundred of Scarsdale and deanery of Chesterfield, lies on the borders of Nottinghamshire, about two miles from Bolsover. The village of Palterton is in this parish.
At the time of taking the Domesday Survey, the manors of Scarcliffe and Palterton, which had belonged to Levenot, were held by Raynouard, under Ralph Fitz-Hubert, ancestor of the Frechevilles. Lands in Scarcliffe were given to the priory of Thurgarton by Hubert Fitz-Ralph. (fn. n17) In the year 1275, the Prior of Newsted, in Nottinghamshire, and Robert de Grey (who had been appointed keeper of the estates forfeited by Anker de Frecheville, in consequence of his having joined the rebellious Barons) appear to have had each a manor in Scarcliffe. The Prior of Newsted had a park here in 1330. The manor and park of Scarcliffe were granted to George Pierrepont in 1544. Sir Henry Pierrepont died seised of it in 1616. This estate was purchased in 1690, by Sir Peter Apsley; from whom it has descended to Earl Bathurst, the present proprietor.
In the parish church is an ancient monument of a lady, concerning which there are some idle traditions. (fn. n18) It is most probable that she was one of the Frecheville family. The church of Scarcliffe was given to Darley-Abbey by Hubert Fitz-Ralph, and appropriated to that monastery. The rectory-manor and advowson, were granted in 1544 to Sir Francis Leake. They are now the property of Earl Bathurst; the vicarage is in the gift of the crown.
The parish of Scarcliffe was inclosed under an act of parliament passed in 1726. The great tithes now belong to the land-owners; the tithes of lambs and wool to Earl Bathurst. Four acres of land at Scarcliffe were charged by the inclosure act with buying bell-ropes for the use of the parish church.
The manor of Palterton was given by Wulfric Spott to Burton-Abbey in the reign of King Ethelred. At the time of the Survey of Domesday it was held with Scarcliffe by the ancestor of the Frechevilies, and after the alienation of that manor, continued to belong to a younger branch, who had a seat at Palterton. John Ulkerthorpe, who married one of the coheiresses of this branch died seised of the manor of Palterton in 1445. John Columbell died seised of it in 1556. It was afterwards in the Leakes, and has since passed with Scarcliffe. There was formerly a chapel at Palterton.
SCROPTON, in the hundred of Appletree and deanery of Derby, lies on the north side of the Trent, about eleven miles from Derby, which is the post-town. It comprises the hamlet or village of Foston.
The manors of Scropton (Scrotun) and Foston (Farulueston) belonged, at the time of the Domesday Survey, to Henry de Ferrars. The paramount manor, which was afterwards in the Earls and Dukes of Lancaster, was granted, in 1628, to Wise, and others. It was purchased, in 1679, by William Bate, Esq., whose descendant, in 1784, sold it to the father of Charles Broadhurst, Esq., the present proprietor.
The Agards were possessed of a considerable estate at Scropton and Foston, and probably held the manor under the Duchy as early as the year 1310; their seat was at Foston. John Agard, Esq., in 1675, sold this estate, by the name of the manor of Scropton, with the manor of Foston, to Richard Bate, Esq., of whose descendant, Brownlow Bate, Esq., they were purchased, in 1784, by John Broadhurst, Esq., father of Charles Broadhurst, Esq., the present proprietor. Foston-hall is now the seat of Mr. Broadhurst.
Arthur Agard, born at Foston in 1540, is spoken of by Camden as an eminent antiquary; he was deputy chamberlain of the exchequer, and member of the original Society of Antiquaries. Hearne published his Essays, read at this Society, in his collection of curious discourses. He wrote a treatise on the obscure words in Domesday-book, which remains in MS. among the Cotton collections at the Museum. Arthur Agard died in 1615.
The Agards, as feodaries or bailiffs of the honour of Tutbury, were possessed of a horn described in the third volume of the Archæologia. This horn passed with the office to Charles Stanhope, Esq., of Elvaston, who married the heiress of Agard.
In the parish church is the monument of Barbara, relict of the Honourable Colonel Samuel Newton, sometime of South-Winfield, after-wards of the island of Barbadoes, who died in 1693; his son, John Newton, was of King's Bromley in Staffordshire; his daughter Mary married Richard Bate, Esq., formerly of Barbadoes, afterwards of Foston.
The rectory of Scropton was appropriated to a chantry in the parish church. We find mention of the chantry of John the Baptist, founded by John Agard, Esq. Mr. Broadhurst is impropriator and patron of the curacy.
SHIRLAND, in the hundred of Scarsdale and deanery of Chesterfield, lies about eight miles from Chesterfield, near the road to Derby.
The village of Higham and part of Stretton are in this parish.
The manor of Shirland (Sirelunt) is described in the Survey of Domesday, as held by one Warner under Henry de Ferrars. In the reign of King John it belonged to John de Grey, a younger son of Henry de Grey, of Turrok in Essex; and Shirland became, for some generations, the seat of this branch of the family, who were afterwards denominated De Wilton, from the principal seat of their barony.
In the year 1250, John de Grey had a grant of a market in this manor on Wednesdays, and a fair for three days at the festival of St. Peter ad vincula. (fn. n19) The market, which was discontinued about the year 1785, was held at Higham in this parish on Friday. There is still a fair at Higham on the first Wednesday after New Year's day, chiefly for the sale of horned cattle.
The manors of Shirland, Stretton, and Higham continued for several generations in the family of Grey. They belonged afterwards to the Talbots (fn. n20), Earls of Shrewsbury, and were divided between the coheiresses of Earl Gilbert, who died in 1628. The Earl of Thanet now possesses a third of these manors, as descended from one of the coheiresses. William Turbutt, Esq., of Ogston-hall, has a third and a sixth. The remainder is divided between William Shore Nightingale, Esq., of Lea-wood house, and the family of Hopkinson of Ufton-field farm. There was a park at Shirland in 1330. (fn. n21)
In the parish church is a handsome monument for one of the Grey family, probably that of Sir Henry de Grey, of Shirland, who was summoned to parliament as a Baron in the reign of Edward III. In the chancel are several monuments of the family of Revel, of Shirland, and of Ogston (fn. n22) in the adjoining parish of Morton; and that of Jonathan Burnham, 1797.
The advowson of the rectory was long annexed to the manor. Two-thirds are still vested in the Earl of Thanet and Mr. Nightingale, as annexed to their shares of the manor: the other third belongs to the heirs of the late Reverend John Bourne. The proprietors of the advowson present in rotation.
Edward Revel, Esq., of Ogston, gave the site of the school. Thomas Fidler gave a rent-charge of 40s. to the schoolmaster. Mrs. Lydia Boot gave 40s. per annum to a schoolmaster to teach six children; 3l. to be given to the children as rewards, and 20s. for books. John Laverack, Esq., gave 2l. and John Oldham, Esq., 4l. per annum. William Stock gave a cottage and croft, now let at 15l. per annum, for the purpose of teaching six poor children to read the bible and providing them with books. The present income of this school, which is at Hatfield-gate, is about 25l. per annum; the number of poor children taught is about twenty.
SHIRLEY, in the hundred of Appletree and deanery of Derby, lies about ten miles from Derby, and about three and a half south-east from Ashborne. The parish comprises the township of Stydd and the chapelry of Yeavely.
The manor of Shirly (Sirelei) belonged to Henry de Ferrars. In the reign of Henry II., it was held under the Ferrars family by the immediate ancestor of Earl Ferrars, who seating himself here, took the name of Shirley. The name of Saswallo or Sewall, the ancestor of this family, occurs in the Domesday Survey as holding manors (but not Shirley) under superior Lords, His grandson Sewall, who died in 1129, is said, in the Peerages, to have been the first who took the name of De Shirley (fn. n23), but the pedigree in Glover's Visitation, makes his great-grandson, Sir James de Shirley, who died in 1278, to have been the first who was so called. Sir Thomas Shirley, who died in 1362, was a distinguished military character. His son, Sir Hugh, was slain at the battle of Shrewsbury. Sir Ralph, son of Sir Hugh, was one of the chief commanders at the battle of Agincourt. Their descendant, Sir George, was created a Baronet in 1611, and his great-grandson, who, in 1677, had been declared Lord Ferrars of Chartley, in virtue of his descent from that noble family, through one of the coheiresses of Devereux, Earl of Essex, was, in 1711, created Viscount Tarnworth and Earl Ferrers. Shirley has long ceased to be the seat of this noble family: the manor is now the property of the Honourable Washington Shirley. There was formerly a large park at Shirley.
In the parish church is a memorial for William Pegge, Esq., of Yeldersley, (the last of that branch of the family) who died in 1768.
The church of Shirley was given to Darley-Abbey, by Fulcher de Ireton, of a younger branch of the Shirley family, and confirmed by James de Shirley, about the year 1230. Mr. Steeples is the present impropriator, and Earl Ferrers patron of the vicarage.
The parochial chapelry of Yeavely lies about two miles from Shirley.
Ralph le Fun, in the reign of Richard I., gave the hermitage of Yeavely to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, on condition that he should inhabit it during his life. It afterwards became a preceptory of that order, and its revenues, with that of Barrow in this county, were valued at 93l. 3s. 4d. clear yearly income. The site of Yeavely was granted by King Henry VIII., in 1543, to Charles Lord Mountjoy, conveyed by his son James Lord Mountjoy, in 1557, to Ralph Brown, and by the latter, in 1559, to Francis Colwieh. It continued a considerable time in the last-mentioned family, was afterwards in that of Hurd, and is now the property of John Walker, Esq. There are considerable remains of the chapel of this preceptory, called Stydd chapel.
The manor of Yeavely belonged, at an early period, to the Meynells, (by whom lands at Yeavely were given to the Hospitallers.) Having passed by marriage to the Shirleys, it is now the property of the Honourable Washington Shirley, The minister of Yeavely chapel is appointed by the vicar of Shirley.
SOMERSALL, in the hundred of Appletree and deanery of Castillar, lies about four miles from Uttoxeter. The parish is divided into Church-Somersall or Somersall-Herbert, and Hill-Somersall. The village of Potters-Somersall also is in this parish.
Church-Somersall and Somersall-Herbert belonged to Henry de Ferrars, when the Survey of Domesday was taken; one of them was held under him by Alric.
Somersall-Herbert belonged to the family of Fitzherbert from a very early period. On the death of the late Richard Fitzherbert, Esq., the last heir male of the elder branch, in 1803, it passed by bequest to his only surviving maiden sister, Mrs. Frances Fitzherbert, and on her death, in 1806, to her nephew, (being the son of an elder sister,) the Reverend Roger Jacson, of Bebington in Cheshire. Mr. Jacson sold the manor to the late Lord Vernon, whose brother, Henry Venables Lord Vernon, is the present proprietor. Somersall-hall the old seat of the Fitzherberts was purchased by Lord St. Helen's, descended from a younger branch of this family which has been long settled at Tissington. It is now in the occupation of Mr. Jacson's sisters.
Hill-Somersall was, at an early period, in the Montgomery family, and has passed with Marston and other estates to Lord Vernon, who is the present proprietor.
In the parish church is a memorial for John Fitzherbert, Esq., who died in 16. . ; he married Mary, daughter of William Coke, Esq., of Trusley. The Earl of Chesterfield is patron of the rectory.
SPONDON, in the hundred of Appletree and deanery of Derby, lies about three miles and a half from Derby. The parish comprises the village of Locko, part of Burrow-Ash, and the parochial chapelries of Chaddesden and Stanley.
The manor of Spondon belonged, when the Survey of Domesday was taken, to Henry de Ferrars. After the attainder of Robert de Ferrars, Earl of Derby, King Henry III. granted it to his son, Edmund Earl of Lancaster. In the reign of Edward II, the Pipards held an estate at Spondon and Chaddesden, under the Ear] of Lancaster. (fn. n24) The manor of Spondon was granted, with that of Burrow-Ash, in 1563, to Thomas Stanhope: it was afterwards in the Gilberts of Locko, who, in 1721, sold this manor, with Chaddesden and Locko, to Robert Feme, Esq. John Gilbert Cooper, Esq., repurchased this estate in 1737, and in 1747, sold it for 13,000l. to John Lowe. Esq. Richard Lowe, Esq., who died in 1785, bequeathed these manors to his relation, William Drury, Esq., who took the name of Lowe, and is the present proprietor.
The manor of Borough-wood, in this parish, has long been in the Wilmot family: it now belongs to Sir Robert Wilmot, Bart.
In the parish church is the monument of Elizabeth (fn. n25) wife of Henry Gilbert, Esq., of Locko, 1665; there are memorials also of Isaac Osborne, of London, merchant, and others of his family. Bassano's volume of Church Notes describes the tombs of Ralph Byrd, of Locko, Gent., 1526; William Gilbert, Esq., 1681; Bartholomew Wilcock, of Locko, Gent., 1650; and Edward Wilmot (fn. n26), Esq., of Chaddesden, 1701.
The church of Spondon with all its appurtenances, was given by William Earl Ferrars, to the hospital of Burton-Lazars, to which it was afterwards appropriated. The rectory of Spondon was granted to John Dudley in 1544. In the early part of the last century, the whole or a part of the rectory was in the Cotton family. George Stanhope, D. D., Dean of Canterbury became possessed of one-fourth by his marriage with a daughter of Charles Cotton, Esq., and purchased one-fourth of Catharine Cotton, another daughter, who was afterwards Lady Lucy. Mr. Lowe has now one quarter, Mr. Osborne one quarter, and Sir Robert Wilmot, of Chaddesden, Bart., the remainder. William Drury Lowe, Esq., is patron of the vicarage. William Gilbert, Esq., of Locko, gave the tithes of Locko, valued at about 30l. per annum, to the vicar of Spondon. In consequence of an inclosure, twenty-two acres of land on Morley common, now let at 37l. 10s. 0d. per annum, were given in lieu of these tithes.
Henry Gilbert, Esq., in 1669, erected a school-house, and endowed it with four acres of land, now let at 8l. per annum, for the education of six boys, who are nominated by the trustees of Mr. William Gilbert's charity, mentioned below. Dean Stanhope gave 4l. per annum, out of the great tithes, for the education of four boys, to be nominated by the vicar.
William Gilbert, Esq., of Dublin, surveyor of His Majesty's admeasurements and plantations in Ireland, left by his will, in 1649, the sum of 1000l. to be laid out in the purchase of lands, (which lands were accordingly purchased by his nephew, Henry Gilbert, Esq., of Locko, and are now let for 110l. 16s. 0d. per annum,) for the purpose of giving two shillings each to ten poor persons in the church every Sunday, one shilling after morning service, the other after evening service. Twenty two persons now receive this charity, which is given in various sums at the discretion of the trustees, from 1s. to 2s. 6d. The practice of giving it at the church has been lately revived.
There is no doubt that Lock-hay, or as it is now called, Locko, took its name from the hospital or preceptory of the order of St. Lazarus (fn. n27), which existed there as early as the year 1296. We find no mention of it before the existence of the hospital. A Lock was formerly used as synonymous with a lazar-house; hence the name of the Lock-hospital in London, and an old-hospital at Kingsland near London, called " Le Lokes." The derivation is from the obsolete French word Loques, signifying rags.
The brethren of the order of St. Lazarus, had lands at Nether-Lockhay or Locko, in 1296, which had belonged to Robert le Wyne. Other lands at Locko belonged then to the families of Frecheville and Poer, all held under Edmund Earl of Lancaster. (fn. n28) King Edward III., in 1347, granted an annuity which had been paid by the preceptory at Locko to a superior house of the same order in France, (which annuity had been taken into the King's hands during the war) to the master and scholars of King's-hall in Cambridge towards the expence of building their house, so long as the war should continue. (fn. n29) In 1544 the manor of Locko was granted to John Dudley, as having belonged to the hospital of St. Lazarus, at Burton. There was nevertheless, long before the Reformation, a lay manor at Locko.
Sir Robert Grene died seised of the manor of Locko in 1388, Alice daughter of Sir Godfrey Foljambe, (afterwards wife of Sir Robert Plumpton,) being his heir. (fn. n30)
We find the manor of Nether-Locko, belonging to the family of Birde or Bride in the reign of Henry IV. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth, William Bird, Esq., sold this manor to William Gilbert, Esq., then of Barrow, who had married his father's widow, the daughter of William Coke, Esq., of Trusley. The Gilbert family in consequence removed hither, and resided at Locko park for several generations. Henry Gilbert, Esq., built a chapel adjoining to his house at Locko, in 1673, for the use of his family and neighbours, which is still used as a domestic chapel, and has lately been put in repair. His son sold Locko as before-mentioned, and it is now the seat of William Drury Lowe, Esq. Part of the present mansion is said to have been built by Mr. Feme during his possession of the estate.
A younger branch of the Birds had a messuage and lands at Over or Upper-Locko, which continued in that family after Nether-Locko had been sold to the Gilberts. Thomas Bird was of Upper-Locko in 1611; some years before it had been in the Fielding family. (fn. n31) Thomas Bird had four sisters, who were his coheiresses. In 1560, Over-Locko belonged to the Boothby family. This estate appears to have belonged afterwards to the Walkers, whose heiress brought it to John Harpur, Esq., of Little-Over. It is now the property of Mr. Drury Lowe.
The parochial chapel of Chaddesden is a mile and a half from Spondon and two miles from Derby. Sir William Plumpton, who died in 1480, was seised of the manor of Chaddesden by inheritance from Sir Robert Grene before-mentioned. From one of the coheiresses of Sir William Plumpton, this manor descended to the family of Clifford, and was sold by George Clifford, Earl of Cumberland to Francis Curzon. In the year 1593, Robert Newton, Esq., died seised of the manor of Chaddesden, which he had acquired of Francis Curzon, Esq., of Keddleston, leaving Thomas his son and heir. This manor has been long united to that of Locko. The principal landed property belongs to Sir Robert Wilmot, Bart., whose ancestors have had their seat here for several generations. Edward Wilmot, M. D., of Chaddesden, physician to King George II., and during a great part of his reign, to his present Majesty, was created a Baronet in 1759, and was grandfather of Sir Robert Wilmot the present Baronet.
In the chapel of Chaddesden is a cenotaph in memory of Sir Edward Wilmot above-mentioned, who died in his 94th year, at Herringstone in Dorsetshire, and was buried at Monkton in that county: he married a daughter of the celebrated Sir Robert Mead, M. D. There is a memorial also for Sir Robert Mead Wilmot, Bart., (father of the present Baronet,) who died in 1793. The chapel of Chaddesden is annexed to the vicarage of Spondon.
In the reign of Edward III. a chantry was founded in the chapel of Chaddesden, for a warden and two chaplains, by Henry de Chaddesden, Archdeacon of Leicester, to the intent that divine service might be daily performed there: certain lands were conveyed as the endowment of this chantry by his executors, Sir Nicholas and Geffry de Chaddesden in 1362. (fn. n32) Besides the original endowment, sixty acres of land were given to the chanters at the altar of the Virgin Mary at Chaddesden, in 1380. (fn. n33) Robert Newton, Esq., before mentioned, died seised of the chantry in Chaddesden in 1593.
It appears by the register of burials, that Thomas Harris, aged 107 years, was buried February 29, 1659: there is no mention in the register of John Pick, a pensioner of the Gilbert family, who is said to have died in May 1666, at the age of 105. (fn. n34)
The school at Chaddesden was founded, in 1705, by Robert Walker, who gave a piece of land, now let at 1l. 4s. per annum, for the education of three children. Robert Wilmot, Esq., in 1737, gave a house and garden to the master. It has no other endowment.
Adjoining the school is an alms-house, founded, in 1634, by Robert Wilmot, Esq., for six poor persons, who receive 2s. a week each, charged on the tithes of Denby; and 13s. 8d. each at Christmas for coals. Sir Robert Wilmot is sole trustee, and appoints the pensioners.
John Berrysford of Newington-Butts, in 1813, gave 600l. 3 per cents, now, after deducting the legacy tax, &c., 540l. the interest of which is to be given to the poorest orphans and widows of the parish of Chaddesden.
The parochial chapelry of Stanley, lies about three miles and a half from Spondon and four and a half from Derby. William Fitz-Ralph, Seneschal of Normandy, having purchased the manor of Stanley from Nicholas Child, gave it to the Premonstratension canons, who had been by him removed to the present site of Dale-Abbey, (then within Stanley park.) It is probable that the manor was granted after the Reformation to the Powtrells, who were possessed of it in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and in 1624. In 1697, Joseph Vicars, Gent., sold a moiety of this manor to Paul Balidon, Esq., from whom it passed by marriage to the Cokes of Trusley. The manor after-wards belonged to the Rev. Dr. Chambers, and is now the property of Sir Hugh Bateman, Bart.
In the chapel is the tomb of Sir John Bentley, Knt., of Breadsall Priory, who died in 1622. The chapel of Stanley is annexed to the vicarage of Spondon.
Stanley has a right of sending eight children to the free-school at West-Hallam.
STANTON-BY-BRIDGE, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, and in the deanery of Repington, lies on the banks of the Trent, about six miles from Derby, which is the post-town, eight from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and nine from Burton. It is near the ancient bridge, commonly called Swarkston-bridge, though by far the greater part of it is in this parish.
A moiety of the manor which had belonged to the monastery of Burton was in the Francis family in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and is now the property of their descendant, Sir Francis Burdett, Bart. The other moiety belongs to Sir Henry Crewe, Bart, probably by descent from the Findernes.
In the parish church is the monument of Katherine, wife of William Francis, Esq., who died in 1530. Bassano's volume of Church Notes, describes the tomb of William Sacheverell, Esq., 1558, and Mary his wife, heiress of Clement Lowe, of Derby. Among these notes is the copy of an inscription on the chancel wall, which states, that "having been, through fanatical profaneness, inhabited by owls and spiders, it was rebuilt for the use of Christians, by Augustine Jackson, rector, in 1682;" it reminded the parishioners also of the obligation they were under by the canons of receiving the communion thrice in the year, and that any minister who should willingly administer the sacrament to any but such as should kneel, was liable to suspension.
Sir Henry Crewe, Baronet, is patron of the rectory.
STANTON-BY-DALE, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, and in the deanery of Repington, lies about nine miles nearly east from Derby, on the borders of Nottinghamshire. The manor of Stanton-by-Dale, otherwise Davers, belonged in the fifteenth century to the family of Mackerell. (fn. n35) It was afterwards in the Babingtons, from whom it passed by sale in the reign of Queen Elizabeth to Michael Willoughby, Esq. Earl Stanhope is the present proprietor.
In the parish church are memorials for Edward Holt who died in 1606, aged 100; Katherine, daughter of Humphry Wolferston, and wife of Ralph Thicknesse, Esq., 1662; Matthew Pilkington, L.L.B., Prebendary of Lichfield, 1785, and others of his family.
The church of Stanton belonged to Dale-Abbey, to which monastery three bovates of land in Stanton had been given by Geffrey and Ralph de Salicosamare. (fn. n36) Sir Henry Willoughby, Bart., gave the tithes of hay to the minister, reserving a rent of 5s. yearly to himself and his heirs. The patronage of the benefice, which is a perpetual curacy, is vested in four trustees appointed by Earl Stanhope, who nominate a minister for his Lordship's approbation.
Alms-houses for four persons were built at Stanton in 1711, by Mrs. Winefred Middlemore, pursuant to the will of her husband, Joseph Middlemore. At the same time she gave up her life-interest in the Jands with which he had endowed them after her decease. Two other houses were built in 1735 by Mr. George Gregory, executor of Mrs. Middlemore. The present value of the lands belonging to these alms-houses, being situated at Fulwood in the county of Nottingham, and at Allington in the county of Lincoln, is 100l. per annum. George de Lign Gregory, Esq., of Hungerton-house, in Lincolnshire, is the sole trustee.
STAPENHILL, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, and in the deanery of Repington, lies on the banks of the Trent, and is by the road about a mile, across the bridge, from Burton, which is nearly opposite. The parish comprises the chapelry of Caldwell, and the townships of Stanton and Newhall. The parish of Burton extends on the Derbyshire side of the river, and is much intermixed with Stapenhill, both in the village and else-where.
The manor of Stapenhill was given to the monastery of Burton by Briteric, the second abbot; and that of Caldwell soon afterwards by William Rufus. (fn. n37) King Henry VIII. gave these manors, with others, to the collegiate church which he founded on the site of the dissolved monastery; which college being soon afterwards dissolved, the manors of Stapenhill and Caldwell were granted, in 1545, to Sir William Paget; and that of Stapenhill now belongs to his descendant, the Marquis of Anglesea.
In the parish church are the monuments of William Dethick, Esq., who died in 1490; Susanna, daughter of William Inge, Esq., by Frances, daughter of Sir Thomas Gresley, Bart., 1720; John Sellick, Esq., 1724, &c. &c.
The church of Stapenhill was appropriated to the monastery of Burton, to which it had been given, with the manor, by Abbot Briteric. The Marquis of Anglesea is impropriator and patron of the vicarage.
The Reverend John Hieron, an eminent non-conformist divine and critic, who made collections towards a History of Derbyshire, was born at Stapenhill in 1608.
The chapelry of Caldwell lies nearly four miles from Stapenhill. The manor of Caldwell was sold by William Lord Paget, in 1565, to Peter Collingwood, Esq.; from whose family it passed, by successive marriages, to those of Sanders and Mortimer. It was the property of Dr. Cromwell Mortimer, secretary to the Royal Society, whose son, Hans Winthorpe Mortimer, Esq., sold it to Henry Evans, Esq., of Burton-on-Trent, to whose widow it now belongs.
King Edward II., with his army, attended by the Earls of Surrey, Richmond, Pembroke, and others, halted at Caldwell, when in pursuit of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, who was then with his adherents at Burton-on-Trent. This was not long before the battle of Borough-bridge, in 1322. (fn. n38)
In the chapel at Caldwell are some monuments of the family of Sanders. (fn. n39)
There was formerly a Presbyterian meeting at Caldwell, of which the celebrated Dr. Ebenezer Latham was minister. There is now a meeting-house of the General Baptists at this place.
The manors of Newhall, Stanton-Ward, and Heathcote-Ward, belonged in the reign of Edward I. to the family of Ward, whose heiress brought them to the Meynells. Two of the coheiresses of Meynell married into the Dethick family. The heiress of Dethick, of Newhall, brought these manors to the family of Reddish, one of whose coheiresses married Sir Robert Darcy. The coheiresses of Darcy brought this estate to Sir Erasmus Philipps, Bart. Sir William Rokesby, —— Barnes, and —— Milward. The Earl of Chesterfield purchased the shares of the two former, and the remainder having passed into the Stanhope family, the whole was sold in parcels by the late Earl Stanhope, and his son, then Lord Mahon. There was formerly a chapel at Newhall, which was given by William the Conqueror to Burton Abbey. (fn. n40)
STAVELY, in the hundred of Scarsdale and deanery of Chesterfield, lies about four miles and a quarter from Chesterfield. The parish comprises the villages of Middle, Nether, and West-Handley; Netherthorpe, Woodthorpe, and Stavely-fbrge; and the chapelry of Barlow.
The manor of Stavely belonged, when the Survey of Domesday was taken, to Ascoit Musard, ancestor of the ancient baronial family who gave name to Musarden, now Miserden, in Gloucestershire. Two of the sisters and coheirs of Nicholas, Baron Musard, brought their shares of Stavely, in the reign of Edward II., to Cromwell and Frecheville. Sir John de Ireland, in 1315, conveyed a third of the manor and church of Stavely to Ralph Frecheville (fn. n41) : probably he was a trustee of Margaret, the third sister, who died unmarried. Cromwell's share (a third of the manor) passed to the Clifford family soon after the year 1400. (fn. n42) On the attainder of John Lord Clifford, it was forfeited to the crown, and was granted by King Edward IV. to Sir John Pilkington, who died seised of it in 1479. (fn. n43) It seems to have escheated again to the crown, and to have been granted by King Henry VIII., in 1544, to Francis Leake, who the next year conveyed it to Sir Peter Frecheville, already possessed of two-thirds by inheritance. In the year 1552, Henry Clifford, Earl of Cumberland, quitted claim to the third which had been in his family. Stavely was for many generations the chief seat of the Frecheville family. Ralph de Frecheville was summoned to Parliament in the reign of Edward I, Sir Peter Frecheville was knighted for his services at the battle of Musselborough. Sir John Frecheville, who was a most active royalist, garrisoned his house at Stavely in the civil war; he distinguished himself on various occasions, particularly in a skirmish with Captain Revel's and two other troops, which he drove for shelter into Mr. Eyre's house at Hassop, and having procured some reinforcements, took them all prisoners. In the month of August, 1644, Stavely-house was taken by Major-General Crawford, and a party of the Earl of Manchester's army, by capitulation: it is said to have been strongly garrisoned; 12 pieces of ordnance, 230 muskets, and 150 pikes, were taken in the house. (fn. n44) After the restoration, Sir John Frecheville was (in 1664) for his good services created a peer, by the title of Lord Frecheville, of Stavely. In 1681, a year before his death, he sold the manor and estate at Stavely to the first Duke of Devonshire, from whom it has descended to the present Duke. There was formerly a park at Stavely. The barony of Stavely was held by the service of finding two soldiers for the King's army in Wales.
The principal monuments in the parish church are, a marble sarcophagus in memory of John Lord Frecheville, the last of that ancient family, who died in 1682, aged 76 (fn. n45); a handsome monument, with her effigies in white marble, in a recumbent posture, with a new-born infant in her arms, for Christian, daughter of John Frecheville, Esq., (afterwards Lord Frecheville) and wife of Charles Lord St. John of Basing; she died in childbed of her first child (a son), who survived her only seven days, 1653. There are mural monuments, or tablets, for Bruce, wife of John Frecheville, Esq., and daughter of Francis Nicolls, Esq., of Ampthill, in Bedfordshire, 1629; Sir Peter Frecheville (fn. n46), Knt., 1634; John Bullock, Gent., 1691; the Rev. John Gisborne, rector of Stavely and prebendary of Durham, 1759, and Lieutenant-General John Gisborne, his son, a member of the Irish House of Commons, and governor of Charlemont, ob. 1778. Bassano's volume of Church Notes describes several monuments of the Frechevilles: that of Piers Frecheville sometime one of the Esquires of the body to King Henry VII., who died in 1503; and Maud (Wortley) his wife; John Frecheville, Esq., (son of Piers,) 1509, and others uninscribed.
The east window of the chancel was fitted up with painted glass by Lord Frecheville in 1676, with the arms and quarterings of Frecheville, &c. This window is said by Bassano to have cost 40l.
Ascoit, or Asculf Musard gave a moiety of the church of Stavely to the Hospitallers. (fn. n47) The patronage of the rectory has been long attached to the manor. There was formerly a chantry chapel of St. John in this parish, founded by one of the Frecheville family for the use of the manor: the revenues of this chantry were estimated in the reign of Edward VI., at 2l. 13s. 4d. per annum. The site of the chapel is not known, but an orchard belonging to the hall still goes by the name of the chapel orchard.
In the year 1572, Margaret, wife of Peter Frecheville, Esq., founded a charity-school at Netherthorpe, and endowed it with 81. per annum. Francis Rodes, one of the Justices of the King's Bench in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, gave 81. per annum to this school, and 81. per annum for poor scholarships. (fn. n48) Francis Sitwell, Esq., in 1599, gave 61. per annum to the school; in 1734, Lady Cavendish gave the sum of 100l; in 1742, Lord James Cavendish a rent-charge of 6l. per annum; and in 1749, Mrs. Anne Jacson the sum of 100l. The present income of the school at Netherthorpe is 30l. per annum. The school-house was rebuilt in the year 1698. The remainder of the income, arising from benefactions is given to school-mistresses for teaching poor children at Stavely, Handley (fn. n49), and Woodthorpe.
Woodthorpe-hall, about a mile from Stavely, was the ancient seat of the Bodes family before they removed to Barlborough; they acquired it in marriage with the heiress of Cachehors before the year 1290. It was purchased of Sir John Rodes, in or about the year 1599, by the Countess of Shrewsbury, and passed afterwards to the Earl of Newcastle, from whom it has descended to his Grace the Duke of Portland. The ancient seat of the Rodes family was in part pulled down (fn. n50), and most of the materials used for the building at Bolsover. Judge Rodes, who began Barlborough-hall, died at Woodthorpe; his son, Sir John, removed to Barlborough.
Sir Peter Frecheville, in 1632, founded an hospital with a chapel at Woodthorpe, for five aged men and four women, to each of whom he gave 4l. per annum. In 1777, Mr. Richard Robinson, school-master, gave 18l. per annum to this hospital; and Dr. Thomas Gisborne, who died in 1806, the same sum annually. The hospital and chapel were repaired in 1678. The best reader among the old men officiates as chaplain. The Duke of Devonshire is patron.
The manor of Handley belonged to the family of Rodes, having been purchased by Francis Rodes, Esq., in or about 1577. (fn. n51) Handley is now the property of his Grace the Duke of Devonshire, and the manor has long merged in that of Stavely.
The parochial chapel of Barlow, an appendage of Stavely, lies about six miles and a half from Stavely, (from which parish it is detached by the intervention of the parish of Whittington,) and between three and four miles from Chesterfield. The manor of Barlow was held with Stavely by the Musards. It was afterwards in the ancient family of Abitot; a branch of which, on settling at Barlow, is supposed to have taken their name from that place. This family of Barlow, or Barley, possessed it for several generations. James Barlow, Esq., sold it in 1593 to George, Earl of Shrewsbury. The Earl of Newcastle purchased it of the Shrewsbury family, in the reign of James or Charles I. Having passed by descent to his Grace the Duke of Portland, it was, in 1813, exchanged with the Duke of Rutland for the manor of Whitwell.
In the chapel is the tomb of Robert Barley, Esq., 1464: there were other memorials of this ancient family, but the dates, and the greater part of the inscriptions, are either obliterated or concealed.
The chapel was augmented with Queen Anne's Bounty in 1725, when Edward Earl of Oxford gave a rent-charge of 10l. per annum. The rector of Stavely appoints the minister.
In 1752, Susanna Stevenson gave the sum of 40l. (since laid out in land,) for teaching five boys of this chapelry. We are informed that the present endowment of the school consists of the moiety of a piece of land which lets for 6l. per annum, a dwelling-house adjoining the school, with half an acre of land, and seven guineas per annum given by the Duke of Rutland.
STRETTON-IN-THE-FIELDS, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, and in the deanery of Repington, lies on the borders of Leicestershire (in which county part of the parish is situated,) five miles from Ashby-de-la-Zoucb, and about eight from Burton-on-Trent.
The manor belonged to Ferrars, Earl of Derby, under whom it was held by a family, who took their name from the place of their abode, during the greater part of the thirteenth, fourteenth, and fifteenth centuries. In 1465, Nicholas Finderne, who married one of the coheiresses of Stretton, was in possession of it, in consequence of an arbitration, after a long law-suit, in which one of the heirs male of the Stretton family was a party. (fn. n52) It was sold by him to Walter Blount, Lord Mountjoy, who died seised of it in 1474, (fn. n53) Charles Browne, Esq., who was possessed of this manor as early as the year 1600, rebuilt the manor-house; William Browne, Esq., the last heir male of this family, died in 1744; his coheiresses married Cave and Chambers. John Cave, Esq., who possessed this estate by inheritance from his maternal grandfather, took the name of Browne. On the death of the late Reverend Sir Charles Cave, Bart., in 1806, William Cave Browne, Esq., succeeded to the title by virtue of his descent from Sir Roger Cave, Bart., who died in 1703. Stretton is now the property, and the hall the seat, of Sir William Cave Browne, Bart.
In the parish church are some ancient tombs of ecclesiastics, uninscribed; Walter Savage, rector, 1518; George Gretton, M.A., 1750, æt. 92, 44 years rector of Stretton, and 64 years vicar of Marston-on-Dove. There are several memorials for the family of Browne: John Browne, Esq., 1669, who married Magdalen, daughter of Anthony, Earl of Kent;) Thomas Browne, Esq., 1703, &c. Sir William Cave Browne, Bart., is patron of the rectory.
SUDBURY in the hundred of Appletree, and in the deanery of Castillar, lies thirteen miles from Derby, nine and a half from Ashborne, about five from Tutbury, and about twelve from Burton-upon-Trent, which is the post-town. The parish comprises the villages of Aston and Hill-Somersall.
The manor of Sudbury belonged, when the Survey of Domesday was taken, to Henry de Ferrars, who had a park there. It was held at an early period with Aston, under the Ferrars family, by the ancient family of Montgomery. (fn. n54) In the reign of Henry VIII., a coheiress of Sir John Montgomery brought these manors to Sir John, son of Sir Henry Vernon, of Haddon-hall. John Vernon, grandson of Sir John, dying without issue, this branch of the family became extinct, and the manors of Sudbury and Aston, with other estates, passed under his will to his widow, Mary, daughter of Sir Edward Littleton, with remainder successively to her sons by her first husband, Walter Vernon, of Houndshill, descended from one of the elder brothers of Sir John Vernon, who married the coheiress of Montgomery. From Sir Edward Vernon, the elder of these sons, Sudbury and Aston passed to his immediate descendant, George Venables Vernon, who in 1762 was created Lord Vernon. It is now the property of the Right Honourable Henry Venables, Lord Vernon, who succeeded his late brother, in title and estates in the year 1813. The Montgomery family had a park at Sudbury in 1330. (fn. n55) Sudbury-hall, the seat of Lord Vernon, was built by Mrs. Mary Vernon above-mentioned, who died in 1622.
In the parish church are some ancient monuments of the Montgomery family (fn. n56), and several of the family of Vernon. (fn. n57) In the south aisle is the monument monument of the Reverend Dr. Addenbroke, Dean of Lichfield, 1776. Lord Vernon is patron of the rectory.
Hill-Somersall, in this parish, is the property of the Right Honourable Lord Vernon.
SUTTON-IN-THE-DALE, in the hundred of Scarsdale and deanery of Chesterfield, lies about four miles from Chesterfield. The manor was given by Wulfric Spott, in the reign of King Ethelred, to Burton-Abbey. (fn. n58) When the Survey of Domesday was taken, it belonged to Roger de Poictou. In the year 1255, it was granted to Peter de Hareston. (fn. n59) The heiress of Robert de Hareston brought it to Richard de Grey, of Sandiacre. A coheiress of Grey, alias Hilary (fn. n60), brought it to the Leakes in the reign of Henry IV., and it became the chief seat of that family. Francis Leake, of Sutton, was created a Baronet in 1611, and Lord Deincourt of Sutton in 1624. In 1643, (the beginning of April,) Lord Deincourt began to fortify his house at Sutton. Sir John Gell sent his brother, Colonel Thomas Gell, with 500 men and three pieces of ordnance, to besiege it. Lord Deincourt was summoned, but refused to surrender, and for some time obstinately defended himself. The house was taken, and Lord Deincourt and his men made prisoners: the works were demolished, and Lord Deincourt set at liberty, on giving his word that he would repair to Derby within eight days, and submit himself to the Parliament. Sir John Gell observes, that the forfeiture of his word, on this occasion, was revenged by the garrison at Bolsover, who some time afterwards, when that castle was in the hands of the Parliament, plundered Lord Deincourt's house at Sutton. (fn. n61) In 1645, Lord Deincourt was created Earl of Scarsdale. Having rendered himself very obnoxious to the Parliament, by his exertions in the royal cause, during the civil war, his estates were sequestered; and as he refused to compound, they were sold. His son procured some friends to be the purchasers, he paying the sum of 18,000l., fixed by the Parliamentary commissioners as the composition. The title became extinct by the death of Nicholas, the fourth Earl, in 1736. After this event, the large estates belonging to this family were sold for the payment of debts. (fn. n62) After an intermediate sale, Sutton was purchased by Godfrey Clarke, Esq., who was in possession in 1740. The sister and heir of Godfrey Bagnall Clarke, Esq., who died in 1786, married Job Hart Price, Esq., who took the name of Clarke, and left a daughter and heir, now Marchioness of Ormond, the present possessor of this estate.
Sutton-hall, which stands on an elevated spot near the church, was built by the last Earl of Scarsdale. It is now the occasional residence of the Marquis and Marchioness of Ormond.
Owlcote or Oldcotes in this parish, was one of the mansions built by Elizabeth Countess of Shrewsbury. This estate passed with the Countess's daughter, Frances, to Sir Henry Pierrepont, and is now the property of his descendant Earl Manvers. There are no remains of the Countess of Shrewsbury's mansion, which was taken down, probably, after the death of Mr. Francis Pierrepont, mentioned below.
In the parish church is a memorial for John Foljambe, son and heir apparent of Godfrey Foljambe, 1499; the monument, with his bust, of Francis Pierrepont, Esq., second son of the Honourable George Pierrepont, sixth son of the Earl of Kingston, 1707, and that of Thomas Freeman, Gent., 1684. In the windows of the church are some remains of painted glass, put up by John Leake, Esq., who died in 1505.
The rectory of Sutton was consolidated with the vicarage of Duckmanton, (the church of which has long ago been taken down,) about the year 1558. The Marchioness of Ormond is patroness.
SUTTON-ON-THE-HILL, in the hundred of Appletree and in the deanery of Castillar, lies about eight miles from Derby. The parish comprises the townships of Osleston and Nether-Thurvaston, and the villages of Ash and Cropo-top.
The manor of Sutton was given by Wulfric Spott, in the reign of King Ethelred, to Burton-Abbey. (fn. n63) When the Survey of Domesday was taken, it belonged to Henry de Ferrars. In the twelfth century it was in the family of Boscherville; in the fourteenth century it was held under the honor of Tutbury by the Beresfords. (fn. n64) Francis Bonnington, Esq., died seised of the manor of Sutton in 1585. It was afterwards in the Vernons. In 1676, Mr. James Chetham, great nephew of Mr. Humphrey Chetham, the munificent founder of the Blue-coat Hospital and library at Manchester, bought it of George Vernon, Esq., as part of the estates directed to be purchased for that endowment by the founder's will. (fn. n65)
In the parish church are memorials of Judith, wife of Samuel Sleigh, Esq., (daughter of Edward Boys, of Betshanger, Kent,) 1634; Sir Samuel Sleigh, Knt., 1679; and others of the family. (fn. n66) Bassano's volume of Church Notes mentions the tomb of Margaret Lady Sleigh, daughter of Sir Richard Drury; Gervase Sleigh, of Radborne, (no dates,) and several of the family of Rowe (fn. n67) of Windley-hill, in this parish.
The church of Sutton belonged to the prior and convent of Trentham in Staffordshire, to whom it was given, between the years 1162 and 1181, by Ralph de Boscherville. (fn. n68) William Cotton, Esq., is now impropriator and patron of the vicarage.
There is a charity-school at Sutton, endowed by Mrs. Anne Jacson, in 1726, with 4l. per annum.
The manor of Ash (Eisse) was held when the Survey of Domesday was taken by one Robert, under Henry de Ferrars. Robert, son of Sarle, possessed it in the reign of Henry II. (fn. n69) Ralph de Rochford held it under the Earl of Lancaster, at the time of the Earl's death in 1296. (fn. n70) In the reign of Richard II., it appears to have been in the Mackworth family. (fn. n71) In that of Henry VII., it appears that the Beaumonts were succeeded by the Fitzherberts. (fn. n72) At a later period Ash was the property and seat of the family of Sleigh. The elder daughter and coheir of Sir Samuel Sleigh, who died in 1679, brought it to James Chetham, Esq. in consequence of the death of his sons, without issue, it passed to the family of Cotton of Bellaport in Shropshire, into which the other coheiresses married, and is now the property of William Cotton, Esq., of Etwall.
John, who is supposed to have been ancestor of the Montgomery family, gave half the tithes of his demesne of Osleston and Nether-Thurvaston, to Tutbury priory. These manors passed from the Montgomery family to the Vernons, and are now the. property of Lord Vernon. The Rowes had a house and estate at Osleston, which passed by marriage to Mr. Newell, Chancellor of Lincoln. This estate has been since sold in lots.
SWARKSTON, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley and in the deanery of Repington, lies on the north bank of the Trent, adjoining the bridge to which it gives name, on the road from Ashby-de-la-Zouch to Derby; five miles from the latter, which is the post-town, nine from the former, and ten from Burton-on-Trent.
The Survey of Domesday describes a manor of Sorchestun which belonged to Henry de Ferrars, and Suerchestune which was in the crown. (fn. n73) The manor of Swarkston was granted to Robert de Holand in 1307. (fn. n74) Joan, then late the wife of John de Beke, died seised of it in 1322, leaving John her son and heir. (fn. n75) John Roleston, Esq., died seised of the manor in 1482. (fn. n76) Richard Harpur, Esq., one of the Justices of the Common-Pleas, who appears to have purchased this estate, died in 1576. It is now the property of his descendant Sir Henry Crewe, Bart., who has a small villa here on the banks of the Trent, built about the year 1808, on the site of an old mansion formerly the residence of the Harpur family,
In the parish church are the monuments of John Roleston, Esq., 1482; Sir Richard Harpur, one of the Justices of the Common-Pleas, and his wife. Jane, heiress of Finderne (no date); Sir John Harpurlinson, 1622; and his wife Isabella, daughter of Sir George Pierrepont; and that of Frances daughter of William Lord Willoughby, of Parham, married, first, to Sir John Harpur, Bart., secondly, to Henry Kirkhoven, Earl of Bellamont, and thirdly, to Henry Heveningham, Esq., ob. 1714, Sir Henry Crewe, Bart., is patron of the rectory.
The bridge over the Trent, commonly called Swarkston-bridge, lies for the most part (fn. n77) in the parish of Stanton. This bridge, which is constructed so as to secure a passage over the low grounds, usually flooded in the winter, was originally not more than eleven or twelve feet in width, and the old parts, chiefly over the arches, still continue of that width; but it has been widened, wherever there has been occasion to rebuild or repair, so that carriages can now pass each other at very small intervals. The span of the bridge over the river (fn. n78) is only 138 yards, but the whole length is little less than three quarters of a mile (1304 yards.) It appears by an inquisition taken in 1503, that there was an ancient chantry chapel on Swarkstonbridge, endowed with some meadow land, lying between Swarkston-bridge and Ingleby. (fn. n79)
About the latter end of the year 1642 or the commencement of 1643, Colonel Hastings fortified Sir John Harpur's house at Swarkston, and threw up some works at the bridge, to secure the passage of the Trent. Sir John Gell having intelligence of these proceedings, marched to Swarkston with Sir George Gresley's troops and two sacres. The house was abandoned on his approach, the garrison at the bridge made a considerable defence, but were at length driven from their works with loss. (fn. n80) The battle of Swarkston-bridge is spoken of in the parish register of All Saints in Derby, as having taken place on the 5th of January 1643.