Magna Britannia: Volume 5, Derbyshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1817.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS.
P. iv. It is stated in Farey's Agricultural Survey (fn. n1), that in 1803, there were 267 friendly societies or benefit clubs in Derbyshire, of which 20 were of females : the total number of members in the men's societies 21,505, in the women's,1100.
P. vi. To the eminent natives of Derbyshire, whose birth-place cannot be ascertained, may be added, Woodward the celebrated mineralogist, born in 1665.
On the 9th of June, 1817, an alarming insurrection broke out at SouthWinfield, in this county. The insurgents, who were chiefly inhabitants of South-Winfield and some neighbouring villages, proceeded towards Nottingham, in pursuit of their rash enterprise; the object of which was the overthrow of the constitution. They were met by a party of the military within a few miles of the above-mentioned town, and speedily dispersed. Many of the insurgents taken on this occasion were committed to the prisons of Nottingham and Derby, and tried by a special commission at Derby, in the month of October following; when three out of four of the ringleaders, who had been tried and convicted of high-treason, were executed at Derby, on the 7th of November. Nineteen others, who had pleadednot guilty,withdrew that plea, and having pleadedguilty, by the advice of their counsel, were reprieved: and twelve were acquitted, no evidence having been offered against them.
P. xviii. The market at Heanor has been wholly discontinued since we first visited Derbyshire.
P. lxxvii. Francis Beaumont of Barrow, grandson of Edward here mentioned, married the heiress of Brasbridge.
P. lxxix. Mr. Warburton, father of the herald of that name, married the heiress of Michael Buxton of Buxton.
P. lxxxvii. Thomas, the immediate ancestor of Robert Holden, Esq., now of Darley-abbey, being the second son of Samuel Holden, Esq., who died in 1692, married a coheiress of Gilbert Millington, Esq., of Felleyabbey in Nottinghamshire, who was some time M. P. for Nottingham, and one of the judges of King Charles I. The late Mr. Holden of Darleyabbey, who died without issue, was descended from Alexander, third son of Samuel Holden above-mentioned, by the heiress of Atkinson.
P. c. Thomas Bec, Bishop of St. David's, bore a mitre in the dexter chief of his arms.
P. cvi. In the cut of the arms of Ingwardby, the lion should be passant, not passant-guardant.
P. 9. The dean of Lincoln is patron of the vicarage of Ashborne.
P. 23. Jane Shepherd, in 1734, gave 125. per annum, for teaching poor children of Aston.
P, 26. Mary Hague, in 1715, gave a house for teaching seven poor children of Bakewell: this has since been occupied by a schoolmaster.
P. 31. The Reverend Samuel Evatt, in 1761, gave 1l. per annum to the master of the free grammar-school at Ashford.
P. 38, l. 21. The congregation of the meeting-house at Buxton are Unitarians. — P. 56. The meeting-house at Glapwell still exists, and is occupied by the Independents. Having reason to suppose that we had been misinformed in other instances with respect to dissenting places of Worship and meeting-houses of the Methodists; we have been since enabled to correct errors and supply deficiencies by the kind assistance of the Reverend D. P. Davies, minister of the Unitarian congregation at Millford, and the Rev. Adam Clarke, LL.D. F.A.S. It appears, by the communications of these gentlemen, that there are in Derbyshire the following congregations.
Lea in Ashover.
Belper in Duffield.
Millford in Duffield.
Finderne in Mickle-Over.
Ripley in Pentrich.
Glapwell in Bolsover.
Belper in Duffield.
Heage in Duffield.Charlesworth.
Hayfield and Marple-bridge in Glossop.
Snelston in Norbury.
Caldwell in Stapenhill.
Swanwick in Alfreton.
Monyash in Bakewell.
Hayfield in Glossop.
Methodists in the late Mr. Wesley's connection.
Ridgway in Alfreton.
Baslow,Beeley, Buxton,and Flagg, in Bakewell.
Edale in Castleton.
Brimmington in Chesterfield.
Tansley in Crich.
Quarndon in St. Alkmund's, Derby.
Belper,Hazlewood, and Millford, in Duffield.
Foolow, and Grindleford-bridge in Eyam.
Chinley, Hadfield, Hayfield and New-Mills, in Glossop.
Bradwell and Great-Hucklow in Hope
Woodhouse in Horsley.
Burrow-ash in Ockbrook.
Finderne in Mickle-Over.
Ripley in Pentrich.
Measham and Tickenhall in Repton
Draycote in Sawley.
Handley in Staveley.
Cromford in Wirksworth.
Winster in Youlgrave.
There is a congregation of Calvinistic Methodists at Compton near Ashborne; and congregations of Kilhamites at Chesterfield and Ilkeston.
P. 46. Samuel Bristow, Esq., in 1696, gave a rent-charge of 15l. per annum for teaching or apprenticing poor children of Twyford.
P. 48. John Newbold gave to the poor of Beighton, and for teaching four boys, land let, in 1787, at 2l. 15s. per annum, and a rent-charge of 6s. per annum for teaching one boy.
P. 56. In the return made to the House of Commons in 1787, Mrs. Isabella Smithson's charity is said to have been intended, in the first instance, for giving marriage portions of 25l. each, to young women.
P. 72. Mr. Charles Potts, in 1724, gave the sum of 20l. to purchase lands for the education of two poor scholars at the school founded by Richard Bagshaw, Esq., at Castleton. Mr. Robert Charlesworth, in 1735, gave a dwelling-house at Castleton, divided into two tenements, for the purpose of paying 10s. per annum, in discharge of a bequest of 10l. left to the parish of Castleton by his father for charitable uses in general, the remainder to be applied in aid of Castleton-school.
P. 81. l. 29, and 84. l. 2. The descendants of this family spell the name, Skrymsher.
P. 83. In the year 1781, Mrs. Elizabeth Tomlinson built an almshouse at Newbold, and gave the sum of 4001. four per cents for the purpose of repairing it, and for the maintenance of three poor women therein.
P. 107. There are several wharfs at Derby.
P. 133. Mr. Andrew Morewood, in 1700, gave 41. 7s. per annum for teaching six children of Dronfield and six of Coal-Aston.
P. 134. The Reverend Mr. Turie, in 1720, gave 401. to be laid out in land for the purpose of educating, six children of Dore; the Duke of Devonshire, in 1747, the sum of 31. 10s. per annum, for educating nine; the Honourable Fr. Middleton and other freeholders, in 1753, the sum of 31. 9s. for educating six; Elizabeth Dowce, in 1754, the sum of 1l. 12s. for educating three children. The present income of the school at Dore is 121. 4s. per annum.
P. 137. Bassano supposed Sir R. Minors to have been of Windley-hill in the parish of Duffield : he had property there, but resided at Win die-hill in the parish of Sutton-on-the-hill, as stated in this page. The monument still exists, and was repaired in 1732.
P. 141. Mr. George Storer, in 1705, gave land, let in 1787, at 14l. 10s. per annum, for the purpose of teaching and apprenticing poor children of Heage.
P. 143. In addition to the revenue of the school at Eckington, as stated in this page, Mr. Peter Cadman bequeathed to it the interest of 100l. on condition that the children should be brought to church regularly on Saints' days. The income of the school at Mossborough is about 18l. per annum, that of Ridgway not above 10l. per annum.
P. 160. There are monuments at Etwall of Judge Porte, and Sir John Porte his son, who died in 1557. (fn. n2)
P. 162. The return of charitable donations in 1787, states, that the Reverend John Cotton gave 41. per annum for educating poor children of Etwall.
P. 167. Robert de Kinder built the chapel of Hayfield, in 1420, on his own ground and at his own charge. (fn. n3)
P. 187. The site of Horestan-castle has been lately purchased with about 300 acres of land by Edward Sacheverell Sitwell, Esq.
P. 202. The vicarage of Lullington is in the gift of the crown.
P. 226. The number of single women in "the Single-sisters house," at Ockbrook, is between 30 and 40.
P. 227. The date of Alsop's foundation was 1715: the date of 1765, probably, is that of the benefaction becoming payable, which did not take place till after the death of the widow and son of the testator. Having been favoured, by the vicar of Mickle-over, with a copy of the clause of Alsop's will which relates to this charity : it appears that the lands were given for the purpose of instructing the children (males and females) of such poor people of Finderne, Willington, or Stenson, as are not worth more than 201. in lands or goods, in reading and writing, and the boys in the five first rules of arithmetic. The management of the school and the choice of the schoolmaster is vested in the churchwardens and overseers of the said township. There is no mention of Mickle-over.
P. 256. Hill-Somersall is in the parish of Sudbury as stated in p. 269.
Page xx. In the account of the Wirksworth fairs, for November read October.
Ixii. line 1. for Hubert Fitz-Ralph read Ralph Fitz-Hubert.
lxxxiv. note (s) for into read to.
Page 28, line 12, for or read for.
55,– 29, for to read for.
67,–18, for 1788 read 1789.
91, —10, for Wolston read Wolstan.
95, —5, 17, and 31, and p. 261, 1. 17, for Premonstratension read Premonstratensian.
122, –30, for three read two.
142, –22, for Sprott read Spott.
160, – 18, for Chethan read Chetham.
167, – 9, for Phocide read Phoside.
204, – 4, for wharf read Wharf.
216, – ult.for 1161 read 1611.
222, – 19, for 162 read 1662.
280, – 11, for Wolf hurt read Wolfhunt.
FURTHER ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS.
P. lxxxi. l. penult, read " a natural son," and dele " who was legitimated by act of Parliament."
P. lxxvi. Joseph Bainbrigge, Esq., of Derby, mentioned in this page, is the representative of the Bainbrigge's of Lockington : he is great-grandson of William Bainbrigge, Esq., of Lockington, who died in 1736. This William married a co-heiress of Laycock : his son Thomas, who resided at Derby, the heiress of Parker. Thomas Bainbrigge, Esq., the elder brother of Joseph, died a bachelor in the month of June, 1818.
P. Ixxviii. and p. 48. We were misinformed as to Mr. John Beresford's being the representative of the ancient family of Beresford of Bentley: the present representative is Mr. Richard Beresford, now of Plas Bellin in Flintshire, eldest son of the late Mr. Beresford of Ashborne, who was elder brother of Mr. John Beresford's father.
P. cxxiv. I am informed that a principal branch of the family of Dakeyne, descended from Henry Dakeyne, Esq., who sold Stubbing-Edge Hall, in 1661, to William Michell, Esq., is now resident at Bagthorpe House, in Nottinghamshire, and that they spell their name Deakin.
P. 64. Sir Henry Fitzherbert possesses only the tithe-corn of Tissington : the tithe of hay, which was also appropriated to the priory of Dunstaple, belongs, by descent from the Goodwins, to J. Goodwin Johnson, Esq., of Bradborne, who took the name of Johnson in 1811, pursuant to the will of his maternal uncle Francis Johnson, Esq.