Magna Britannia: Volume 6, Devonshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1822.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Extinct Baronets, and such as are no longer connected with the County.
Ridgway, of Torwood, 1612. — See p. cvii.
Chudleigh, of Ashton, 1622. — This ancient family was originally of Chudleigh. They acquired Broad Clist by purchase, and settled there in the reign of Edward III. Some time afterwards they removed to Ashton, which came into the family with the heiress of Prous, in the reign of Edward II. John Chudleigh, the third in descent in the pedigree, entered at the Heralds' visitation, in 1620, married the heiress of Martin; his grandson, a co-heiress of Novant. Christopher, the ninth in descent, married the heiress of Stretchley, of Stretchley: his son John died in the Streights of Magellan, being on a voyage of discovery, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. George Chudleigh, Esq., his grandson, was created a baronet in 1622. Sir George Chudleigh, who married one of the coheiresses of Sir William Davie, Bart., of Creedy, died in 1738, leaving three daughters co-heiresses, married to Oxendon, Chichester, and Prideaux. The title and the male line of this ancient family became extinct by the death of Sir James Chudleigh, the sixth baronet, who was killed at the siege of Ostend, in 1745. The celebrated Duchess of Kingston was daughter and heiress of Colonel Thomas Chudleigh, yonnger brother of Sir George Chudleigh, above mentioned.
Arms: — Ermine, three lioncels rampant, Gules.
Crest: — On a wreath, a savage, Proper, a garland about his head, a bugle-horn hanging on a string from his shoulder, on his left side; his left arm bent, and in his right hand a Hercules club, Proper.
Supporters: — Two savages, or wild men, Proper.
Drake, of Buckland Monachorum, 1622. — See p. cxx.
Hele, of Fleet, 1627. — Sir William Pole describes two ancient families of this name, one descended from Hele, of Hele, in the parish of Bradninch; the other of Hele, in the parish of Cornwood; but the pedigree, in the Heralds' Visitation of 1620, makes all the Heles to descend from the former, the heiress of the elder branch of which married Francis, in the reign of Richard II. (fn. n1) About this time Roger, a younger brother of the family, is said to have settled in Cornwood. John, the third in descent, of that place, married the heiress of Broking, and appears to have died without issue. Hugh, a younger brother, who succeeded to the Cornwood estate, was ancestor of the Heles of Cornwood and Diptford. Jacob Bickford Hele, Esq., now of Stert in Diptford, is the representative of this branch, and of the ancient family of Hele.
Nicholas, a younger brother of Hugh, was of South Hele, and had by two wives several sons. The elder died without issue. John, the second, was ancestor of the Heles of Gnaton and Holwell (fn. n2); Thomas, ancestor of the Heles of Fleet; Hugh, ancestor of those of Newton Ferrers (fn. n3); Walter, ancestor of the Heles of Brixton (fn. n4); and Sir John Hele, Sergeant-at-law, ancestor of the Heles of Wembury. (fn. n5)
Thomas Hele, Esq., of Fleet, above mentioned, was created a baronet in 1627: his son Samuel, and the two sons of Samuel, (Samuel and Henry,) successively enjoyed the title, which became extinct on the death of Sir Henry Hele, the fourth baronet, in 1677. Under the will of the first Sir Samuel, the Fleet estate passed to his cousin Richard, on the death of whose great grandson, James Modyford Hele, in 1716, the Fleet branch of the Heles became extinct. Mr. Bulteel is the representative of this branch.
Arms: — Gules, a bend lozengy, Ermine.
Crest: — On a chapeau, a falcon, the wings elevated, Arg.
Pollard, of Kings Nympton, 1627. — This ancient family was of Way, near Torrington, in the reign of Henry III. John Pollard, in the reign of Edward II., married the heiress of Doddescomb; his son Walter, the heiress of Cornu of Horwood, which became the chief seat of the family. The elder branch of the Pollards of Way and Horwood continued in the male line till the reign of Queen Elizabeth. There was remaining in Sir William Pole's time (about 1620) an ancient branch of this family, then residing at Langley, in High Bickington, descended from Roger, second son of the heiress of Doddescomb, which Roger married a co-heiress of Harford, and the fourth in descent from him, the heiress of Britton, of Langley. This branch is extinct.
Sir Lewis Pollard, made one of the Justices of the Court of Common Pleas in 1515, was son of Robert, second son of John Pollard (which John was son of the heiress of Cornu). Sir Lewis purchased Kings Nympton, and built the family seat there. Lewis Pollard, Esq., his immediate descendant, was created a baronet in 1627. Sir Hugh, the second baronet, was a zealous royalist, and was governor of Dartmouth, at the time of its capture by Sir Thomas Fairfax, in 1646: he was afterwards comptroller of the household to King Charles II. At his death, in 1667, the title became extinct. Robert, fourth son of the Judge, settled at Knoweston Beaupell, and his posterity remained there in 1630.
Arms: — Arg., a chevron, Sab., between three escallops, G.
Crest: — A stag, trippant, Arg., attired, Or.
Lawday, of Exeter, 1642. — Sir Richard Lawday, who was created a baronet in 1642, lost his life in the King's service during the civil war. Mr. William Lawday, some time of the city of Bath, and one of the sheriff's officers for Somersetshire, claims to be the immediate male representative of Sir Richard. The title, nevertheless, has lain dormant ever since his death, and Le Neve says that he died without issue.
Arms: — Party per Saltier, G. and Sab., a griffin segreant, Or.
Crest: — A talbot's head issuing out of a mural crown.
Drake, of Ash, 1660. — John Drake, ancestor of this family, settled at Ash, in the parish of Musbury, in consequence of a marriage with the heiress of Billett. Gilbert, third son of John Drake, the fourth in descent, was of Axmouth, and had three sons (fn. n6); George Drake, the elder, who was of Spratshayes, in the parish of Littleham, left an only daughter, married to Forde.
Sir Bernard Drake, grandson of the last-mentioned John, was an eminent naval commander in the reign of Queen Elizabeth: he died of the gaolfever (caught at the assizes at Exeter) in 1585. Robert, an uncle of Sir Bernard, was of Wiscomb, in the parish of South Leigh. (fn. n7) Richard, a younger brother of Robert, was ancestor of the Drakes of Shardeloes, in Buckinghamshire. Sir John Drake, Knt., grandson of Sir Bernard, had a younger brother, William, ancestor of the Drakes of Yardbury. (fn. n8) Sir John Drake, eldest son of Sir John above mentioned, by a co-heiress of Lord Boteler of Bramfield, was created a baronet in 1660. The title became extinct on the death of Sir William Drake, the fifth baronet, in 1733.
Arms: — Arg., a wyvern with wings displayed, Gules.
Crest: (fn. n9) — On a wreath a spread eagle, Gules.
Collecton, of Exmouth, or London, 1660.—John Colleton, created a baronet in 1660, was, or had been, a merchant in Exeter, and was descended from an ancient family, which took its name from the village of Collaton: he was one of the lords proprietors of South Carolina. This family had some time a residence at or near Exmouth. On the death of Sir John Snell Colleton, in 1801, the title went to his cousin, Sir John Nassau Colleton, grandson of Sir John Colleton, who died in 1778. The present and seventh baronet is Lieut.-Colonel Sir James Roupell Colleton.
Arms: — Or, three stags' heads couped, Proper.
Crest: — A stag's head.
Morice, of Werrington, April 20. 1661. — William, elder son of Sir William Morice, principal Secretary of State to King Charles II., who was a native of the city of Exeter, and of Welch origin, was created a baronet in 1661. The title became extinct on the death of Sir William, the third baronet, in 1749. His sisters and co-heiresses married Sir John St. Aubyn, Bart., and Sir John Molesworth, Bart.
The Right Honourable Humphrey Morice, M. P. for Launceston, and some time Lord Warden of the Stannaries, who died in 1785, without issue, was descended from a younger brother of the first baronet.
Arms: — G., a lion rampant regardant, Or.
Crest: — On a wreath, a falcon standing on a perch, Or.
Fowell, of Fowells Combe, April 30. 1661. — This family is traced for nine descents in the Heralds' Visitation of 1620. Thomas, the first mentioned in the pedigree, married the heiress of Trevaige of Cornwall; his son Richard, the heiress of Hayes. Sir Edmund Fowell was created a baronet in 1661. The title became extinct by the death of his grandson, Sir John Fowell, the third baronet, in 1692. The co-heiresses married Parker and Champernowne.
A younger branch of the Fowells was settled at Blackhall in North Huish, of which the Rev. John Digby Fowell is the representative. The heiress of Newton of Crabaton, and a co-heiress of Knowling, have married into this branch.
Arms: — Arg., a chevron, S., on a chief, G., three mullets of the first.
Crest: — An heraldic tiger issuing out of a mural crown.
Yonge, of Colyton, September 26. 1661. — Walter Yonge, a younger son of the Yonges of Berkshire, whose ancestor had represented Bristol in parliament in the fourteenth century, settled in Devonshire in the reign of Henry VII. John Yonge, grandson of Walter, married the heiress of Colliton. Walter, grandson of John, married a co-heiress of Peryam, and was father of John Yonge, Esq., created a baronet in 1661. Sir Walter Yonge, the third baronet, married to his second wife a co-heiress of Williams; Sir William Yonge, the fourth baronet, a co-heiress of Lord Howard of Effingham; Sir George Yonge, the last baronet, the heiress of Cleve. It is remarkable that Sir William and Sir George Yonge, the two last baronets, were both members of the Privy Council, and Knights of the Bath, and both held the office of Secretary of War. Sir William had also been successively one of the lords commissioners of the Treasury and the Admiralty. Sir George was governor of the Cape of Good Hope: the title became extinct at his death in 1812.
Arms: — Erm., on a bend between two cottises, S., three griffins' heads erased, Or.
Crest: — On a wreath, A. and S., a boar's head erased, bristled, Or, mantled, G., doubled, Argent.
Slanning, of Maristow, 1662. — The ancestor of this family having married the heiress of Nicholas At-Ley, settled at Ley, in the parish of Shaugh. They were afterwards of Bickleigh and Maristow. Sir Nicholas Slanning, a distinguished officer in the royal army, who was killed at the siege of Bristol, left a son of the same name, who was one of the Knights of the Bath at the coronation of Charles II., and was created a baronet in 1662. The title became extinct by the death of his son, Sir Andrew, who was run through the body in a duel at the Golden Key in Fleet Street, in 1695.
Arms: — Arg., two pales engrailed, G., over all on a bend, Az., three griffins' heads erased, Or.
Crest: — A demi-lion salient, Az., collared, Or, thereon three torteauxes.
Fortescue, of Fallopit, 1664. — The Fortescues of Fallopit, in East Allington, were descended from Sir Henry Fortescue (fn. n10), Chief Justice of the Common Pleas in Ireland, by his second wife, the heiress of Fallopit. The heiress of this branch married Lewis Fortescue, a younger son of the Fortescues of Spridleston, in Brixton, who was one of the Barons of the Exchequer in the reign of Henry VIII. Sir Edmund, the fifth in descent from this Lewis, was a zealous royalist during the civil war; he was knighted by King Charles I., and in 1664 was created a baronet. The title became extinct on the death of his son, Sir Sandys Fortescue in 1683. Edmund Wells, whose maternal grandfather, Thomas Bury, married one of the cousins and co-heiresses of Sir Sandys Fortescue, took the name of Fortescue in 1768, and was father of Edmund Nathaniel William Fortescue, Esq., the present possessor of Fallopit.
Fortescue of Wood, in Brixton, 1666. — The Fortescues of Wood were descended from Sir Henry Fortescue, before mentioned, by his first wife, a daughter of Bosum or Boson, of Boson's Hele, by the heiress of Wood. The heiress of this branch married Lewis Fortescue of Preston, representative of another younger branch of Fortescue of Wimpston. Peter Fortescue, Esq., the immediate descendant of this Lewis, was created a baronet Jan. 29. 1666-7. The title became extinct at his death without male issue: one of his daughters married John Fortescue, Esq., of Filleigh.
Arms of Fortescue of Fallopit, and Fortescue of Wood, the same as those of Earl Fortescue, with due difference.
Putt, of Combe, 1666. — Nicholas Putt, Esq., purchased Combe and Gittisham in 1615. Thomas Putt, Esq., his grandson, was created a baronet in 1666: he married a co-heiress of Cholmondeley of Yorkshire, one of the maids of honour to Queen Catherine. Sir Thomas Putt, the second baronet, dying without issue in 1721, the title became extinct. The sisters of Sir Thomas married Robert Dillon, Earl of Roscommon; Charles Gorsuch, Esq.; and Sir John Doyley, Bart. The present male representative of the family, and the possessor of Combe, is the Rev. Thomas Putt, descended from a younger brother of the first baronet.
Arms: — Arg. in a mascle, S., a lion rampant of the first.
Harris, of Stowford, 1673. — Sir Arthur Harris of Hayne, in the parish of Stowford, who was created a baronet in 1673, dying without issue in 1686, the title became extinct. The Hayne branch of the Harris family was descended from John, a younger brother of the Harris's of Radford, who married the heiress of Stone; William, son of John, married the heiress of Hayne, and was father of John Harris, sergeantat-law to King Henry VIII., who rebuilt the house at Hayne. Arthur Harris, his grandson, married the heiress of Davailes or Davels, of Totely, near Torrington; his elder son was (by his second wife, a daughter of Lord Mohun,) father of Sir Arthur Harris, Bart. The late Christopher Harris, Esq., of Hayne, descended from a younger son of Arthur Harris, above mentioned, by the heiress of Davels, died in 1775, without male issue, leaving two daughters, co-heiresses, one of whom married Isaac Donnithorne, Esq. Mr. Donnithorne took the name of Harris in 1799, and resides at Hayne.
Arms of Harris of Hayne. — Sable, three crescents and a border, Arg.
Crest: — On a wreath the trunk of a tree fesse-wise, Vert; thereon a falcon with wings expanded, Erm., beaked, membered, and belled, Or.
Lear, of Lindridge, 1683. — Peter Lear, Esq., a West India merchant, was created a baronet in 1683, with remainder to the sons of his brothers, John and William. The title became extint by the death of Sir John Lear, the third baronet, in 1736. His heiress married Sir Thomas Tipping, Bart., of Oxfordshire, and after his death Thomas Comyns, Esq., grandfather of the Rev. John Comyns, now of Wood, in Bishops Teignton.
Arms: — Arg. a fesse counter-embattled between three unicorns' heads erased, Or.
Crest: — A demi-unicorn supporting a ragged staff, Or.
There has been a family of Lear for four descents in the parish of Halberton, of which William Lear, a minor, is the representative. The estate was purchased of the Risdons.
Elwill, of Exeter, 1709. — Sir John Elwill, Knt., whose mother was heiress of Pole of Exeter, was created a baronet in 1709; his son, Sir John, the second baronet, married the heiress of Style of Langley, in the parish of Beckenham, Kent, and settled at that place. He died without issue, and was succeeded by his brother, Sir Edmund. The title became extinct on the death of Sir John Elwill, the fourth baronet, in 1778. The sole heiress married Felton Harvey, Esq., and after his death, William Freemantle, Esq.
Arms: — Erm. on a chevron engrailed between three eagles displayed, G., as many annulets, Or.
Crest: — On a wreath an arm erect, habited, V., cuffed, Arg., and holding a fleece, Or.
Laforey, of Whitley, 1789. — The late Admiral John Laforey, descended from a family of that name in Poictou, was created a baronet Nov. 3. 1789: his son, Sir Francis Laforey, Vice-Admiral of the Blue, and Knight Commander of the Bath, is the second and present baronet.
Arms: — Quarterly, 1 and 4, Arg., on a chevron, Az., 3 mullets, Or, in chief two fleur-de-lis of the second, in base an anchor erect, S., 2 and 3, Arg., a cross engrailed, S., in each quarter a torteaux.
Crest: — A lion rampant regardant, in his right paw a fire-brand, all Proper.
Trowbridge, of Asher, 1799. — The gallant Sir Thomas Trowbridge, described as of Asher, in Devonshire, then a captain in the royal navy, afterwards Rear-Admiral of the White, was created a baronet Nov. 23. 1799. He was lost at sea, on his return from the East India station in the Blenheim, in 1807. His son of the same name is the second and present baronet.
The father of the first Sir Thomas Trowbridge resided in London. When he was created a baronet, although it might be presumed from the singularity of the name, that he was descended from the ancient family of Trowbridge of Trowbridge, in Devonshire, the connection could not be made out, and the following arms, nearly the same as those of the Devonshire family, were granted by the Heralds' College.
Arms: — Or, on a bridge of three arches in fesse embattled, a tower, Proper, thereon a broad pendant flying, Azure, charged with a cross potent of the first, and two keys in saltier, their wards upwards.
Crest: — A dexter arm embowed, habited, Az., the cuff, Arg., holding a flagstaff, thereon a broad pendant as in the arms.
The principal dilapidated mansions of baronets are: Ash, some time a seat of the Drakes; Bickleigh, of the Carews; Court-house, in North Molton, of the Bampfyldes; Hayne, of the Northcotes; and Place, in Ashton, of the Chudleighs. Wisdom, formerly a seat of the Rogers' family, is a farm-house.