Magna Britannia: Volume 6, Devonshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1822.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Adams, of Bowden, in Ashprington. Bowden is now inhabited by the widow of William Adams, Esq., M. P. for Totnes, by whom it was purchased. Mr. Adams died in 1811. His eldest son, Major-General George Pownal Adams, resides at Ashprington-house.
Barbor, of Fremington. — This family came from Upcot, in Somersetshire. William Barbor, who settled at Barnstaple, as a physician, in the seventeenth century, married the heiress of Pointz, of Northcote, in Bittadon; his grandson, of the same name, married a co-heiress of Acland, of Fremington. The present representative of this family is George Acland Barbor, Esq.
Bartlett, of Hole, now of Weston, in Branscombe. — The Bartletts became possessed of Hole, in this parish, by purchase, in the early part of the sixteenth century. The present representative is Barnaby John Stuckey Bartlett, Esq., who took the additional name of Stuckey, with the arms of that family, pursuant to the will of his relation John Stuckey (fn. n1), Esq., of Weston, who died in 1810.
Basset, formerly of Heanton Court, and of Umberleigh, now of Watermouth. — Sir Alan Basset, great grandson of Osmund Basset, who was of Stoke Basset, in Oxfordshire, in the reign of Henry I., settled in Devonshire, in consequence of his marriage with Lucy Peverell, and was ancestor of the late Francis Basset, Esq., of Heanton, the last heir male of the elder branch, who died in 1802, and of Sir Francis Basset, Bart., of Tehidy, in Cornwall, who was created Baron De Dunstanville, in 1796. Heiresses of Balun, Walleis, Helligan, Beaumont, Acland (fn. n2), and Hooper, and coheiresses of Plantagenet, Viscount Lisle; Periam, Leigh, and Bluett, married into this family. The sisters and co-heirs of Francis Basset, Esq., of Heanton, before mentioned, married Cambell and Davie. Joseph Davie, Esq., son of the latter, took the name of Basset, in addition to his own family-name, pursuant to his uncle's will, in 1802; and resides at Watermouth, near Ilfracombe. The Davies, of Orleigh, ancestors of Mr. Davie Basset, are not known to have been of the same family as those of Owlacombe, Upcot, &c., though it is very probable that they were descended from some of the numerous younger sons of those elder branches of the family who resided in the neighbourhood of Torrington. They became possessed of Orleigh about the year 1700, and had before been settled as merchants at Bideford. Mr. Davie Basset bears the arms of Basset and Davie quarterly, and the crests of both families.
Arms of Davie, of Bideford and Orleigh: — Az. a ship with two masts, Or, the sails trussed up and hoisted to the yards, A., adorned with flags, charged with the cross of England; on a chief of the second, three cinquefoils, pierced, Gules.
Bellew, of Court, in Stockley English. This family appears to have come into Devonshire, in consequence of a marriage with one of the coheiresses of Fleming, of Bratton Fleming, in the reign of Edward IV. The ancestors of John Bellew, Esq., of Stockley English, lately deceased, have resided at that place about 200 years: his son, William Bellew, a lieutenant in the navy, is now the representative of the family.
Bere, or Beare, of Court, in Morebath, formerly of Huntsham. — This family was settled at Huntsham as early as the reign of Edward II. The elder branch became extinct by the death of Thomas Bere, Esq., in 1744. Richard, a younger son, settled at Court in the latter part of the seventeenth century: his grandson left a son, Davy Bere, Esq., who died unmarried, in 1774; and two daughters, co-heirs, married to Musgrave and Baker. Montague Bere Baker, Esq., son of the latter, took the name of Bere in 1776, and was father of Montague Baker Bere, Esq., the present proprietor of Morebath. The present male representative is John Bere, Esq., of Milverton, in Somersetshire, grandson of John, next brother of Davy Bere, Esq., above mentioned. The heiresses of Clavell, Faber, Ballard, and Chalvedon, and a co-heiress of Sayer, married into this family.
Bluett, of Holcombe Rogus. — John Bluett, descended from the Bluetts, lords of Ragland, acquired Holcombe Rogus in the fifteenth century, by marriage with a co-heiress of Chiselden. His ancestors had married heiresses or co-heiresses of Ragland, Greenham, and Beaupeny. Richard Bluett, great grandson of John, had two sons, Sir Roger Bluett, who died in 1566, and Francis, ancestor of the Bluetts of Cornwall. Arthur, great grandson of Sir Roger, married the heiress of Lancaster. The elder branch of the direct line became extinct in 1636, by the death of his son, John Bluett, Esq., whose daughters and co-heirs married Jones, Wallop, Lenthall, and Basset. John, the son of Francis, (a younger son of Arthur,) who was killed at the siege of Lyme, in 1644, dying without issue in 1700, the elder line was supposed to be extinct (fn. n3), and he bequeathed his estates to Robert Bluett, Esq., then the representative of the Bluetts of Colan, in Cornwall, descended from the younger brother of Sir Roger. Buckland Nutcombe Bluett, Esq., (son of Robert,) who died in 1786, made a long but fruitless search to ascertain the existence of any male descendants of his family; on the presumption, however, that he might be descended from one of the sons of Francis Bluett, half-brother of Colan Bluett, who lived in the early part of the seventeenth century, he bequeathed his estate to Peter Bluett, Esq., then of Falmouth, now of Holcombe Court.
Buck, of Daddon, in Bideford. — An Irish family, settled in Devonshire towards the latter end of the seventeenth century. The father of Hartwell Buck, who was of Bideford, and died in 1691, married the heiress of Hartwell of Ireland. George Buck, Esq., who died in 1743, married the heiress of Stucley of Daddon and Afton Castle. The present representative is Lewis William Buck, Esq.
Buller, of Downes. — The grandfather of James Buller, Esq., some time M.P. for Exeter, became possessed of Downes, the present seat of the family, by marrying the heiress of Gould. Mr. Buller is the representative of an ancient family, originally of Somersetshire, who had married the heiress of Beauchamp of Lillersdon, and the heiress of Chedington. Their immediate ancestors settled in Cornwall, in consequence of a marriage with a co-heiress of Trethurfe, one of the representatives of Courtenay, Earl of Devon. The elder line became extinct by the death of James Buller, Esq., of Shillingham, M.P. for Cornwall, in 1710. John Buller, Esq., of Morvall, whose ancestor had married the heiress of Coode, then became the head of the family. It has since spread into numerous branches, of which Mr. Buller, of Downes, is the head.
Bulteel, of Fleet, in Holbeton. — James Bulteel, Esq., the ancestor of John Bulteel, Esq., now of Fleet, became possessed of that place in 1716, by bequest: he married a co-heiress of Crocker of Lyneham.
Burdon, of Burdon, in Bradford. — John Dennis Burdon, Esq., now of Burdon, is the representative of this ancient family, which has been settled at Burdon from nearly the time of the Conquest. The co-heiresses of a younger branch married Lanyon and Trehawke.
There was a family of the same name settled at King's Teignton from the reign of Richard I. to that of Henry IV., when the heiress married Thorp. This family, a branch probably of the Burdons of Burdon, bore for their arms, Arg. three pilgrims' staves in pale, G.
Calmady, of Langdon in Wembury. — Richard Calmady, M. P. for Plympton in 1555, was father probably of Richard (fn. n4) and Vincent Calmady. The latter, who was of the profession of the law, purchased several estates in Devonshire in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and settled at Brixton: his son Josias married the heiress of a younger branch of Courtenay of Powderham, by whom he was father of Sir Shilston Calmady; their descendants some time afterwards settled at Langdon, now the property and residence of Mrs. Calmady, daughter of Francis Vincent Calmady, Esq., and sister and co-heiress of Francis John Calmady, Esq. Having been first married to her cousin, Warwick Calmady, Esq., who died without issue, she married to her second husband, Charles Holmes Everitt, Esq., a captain in the navy (fn. n5), who, in 1788, took the name and arms of Calmady, and was father of Charles Biggs Calmady, Esq., now of Holne Chace.
Bury, of Doniton in Swimbridge. — Bury in Lapford was the original residence of the ancient family of Bury, the elder branch of which remained there in 1630, but it is probable that they possessed also Coleton in Chulmleigh, which came by the heiress of Cole in the reign of Richard II. and is described as their seat in the Heralds' visitation of 1620. Doniton subsequently belonged to them. The heiress of Giffard, of Yeo, married into this family. Thomas Bury, Esq., the last heir-male, died in 1804; he married a co-heiress of Molineux, but left no issue. His widow bequeathed the estates of Bury and Coleton to Richard Incledon, Esq., now Vice-Admiral of the White, who has taken the name of Bury, and resides at Doniton, but is not the representative of the family.
Sir Thomas Bury of Exeter is supposed to have been of this family; his elder son left a daughter, married to Wells, the ancestor of Edmund Wells Fortescue, Esq. A younger son of Sir Thomas Bury settled in London and left male issue.
Cary, of Tor Abbey. — The origin of this ancient family seems enveloped in much obscurity: it has been supposed by some, but I think without any good reason, that they came from Castle Cary in Somersetshire; others suppose, with more probability, that they derive their name from Cary (fn. n6), in the parish of St. Giles in the Heath. It is stated in Collins's peerage that the widow of William Cary, who died 31 Edw. I., held Panston and Cary under the honour of Tavistock. It is most probable (fn. n7) that Cary, which adjoins to Panston, and is still held with it, was the original place of their residence. In the succeeding century they had acquired such consequence in the county, that Sir John Cary, and Sir William, his brother, were elected knights of the shire in 1363, and again in 1368: Sir William, who married the heiress of Bozom or Boson of Clovelly (fn. n8), is said to have died without issue. (fn. n9) Sir John Cary has been supposed by Collins, Prince, and others, to have been the same person who was afterwards one of the Barons of the Exchequer; but it appears evident from records that John Cary, the Chief Baron of the Exchequer, was not knighted till 1387, and it is most probable that he was son of Sir John, the knight of the shire. The Chief Baron was implicated with Sir Robert Tresilian and other of the judges in having given an opinion hostile to the views of the Duke of Gloucester and his party, and was in consequence, by the preponderance of their interest in parliament, sentenced to death: his estates were forfeited, but his sentence was changed to banishment, and he was sent to Waterford, in Ireland, with an allowance of 20l. per annum. He died in 1404, and his estates were restored to his son.
The Chief Baron had two sons, by one of the co-heiresses of Sir Guy de Brien (fn. n10), Sir Robert, and John Cary, Bishop of Exeter. Philip, son of Sir Robert, married a co-heiress of Orchard of Somersetshire. Sir William Cary, of Cockington, (son of Philip) was one of the knights beheaded by order of King Edward IV. after the battle of Tewksbury. The immediate representative of Sir William Cary, (descended from the elder son of his first wife,) was of Launceston, in Cornwall, in 1620. This branch became extinct after a few descents. Thomas, second son of the first wife, was father of Sir George Cary, Lord Deputy of Ireland, who died in 1615, without surviving issue. On his death, Sir Edward Cary, of Stantor, in the parish of Marldon, became the representative of the family. Sir George Cary, son of Sir Edward, purchased Tor Abbey, and was the immediate ancestor of George Cary, Esq., the present proprietor of that place.
The Clovelly branch of the Cary family, which became extinct by the death of Robert Cary, Esq., in 1724, was descended from Robert (son of Sir William) Cary, by his third wife, the heiress of Foulkery, or Foukeray, of Dartmouth. Sir William Cary had by his second wife, (Alice Fulford,) a son, Thomas, who by a co-heiress of Sir Robert Spencer, of Spencer's Combe in Devon, (who had married a co-heiress of Beaufort, Duke of Somerset,) had two sons, Sir John and William. Sir John was ancestor of the Carys, Lords Falkland; William, who married the only sister of Queen Anne Boleyn, was ancestor of the Barons Hunsdon and the Earls of Monmouth, of that name; the latter of which titles became extinct in 1661, and the former in 1765.
Champernowne, of Dartington. — The name of this ancient family was originally De Campo Arnulphi, and it appears from Leland, that in the reign of Henry VIII., they were called Campernulph. The name in records of the best authority, is sometimes spelt Champernon, and sometimes Champernowne. We first find them as early as the reign of Henry II., at Clist St. George, called occasionally in records Clist Champernon. The heiress of the elder branch, which was of Clist and of Ilfracombe, after about six descents, married Polglass. Sir Richard, a younger son of Sir Henry Champernowne, of Clist, married the heiress of Sir Alexander de Okeston, by his wife Joan, relict of Richard de Valletort; which Joan, is supposed to have been a concubine of Richard, King of the Romans. His son Edmund, Earl of Cornwall, calls the daughter of De Okeston, in a deed, sister. Sir Richard Champernowne, the son, had a grant of Modbury, where he settled: Sir Richard, son of the last mentioned Sir Richard, married a co-heiress of Valletort, of North Tawton; his son, Sir Thomas, the heiress of Rohant. Sir Richard, son of Sir Thomas, had by his first wife, Alexander Champernowne, who married the heiress of Ferrers, and settled at Beer Ferrers. The heiress of his son, who was then representative of the family, married Lord Willoughby de Broke. By his second wife, Sir Richard had two sons, Richard Champernowne, of Modbury, and John Champernowne, ancestor of the Champernownes of Inswerke, in Cornwall, the co-heiresses of which branch, married Trevelyan, Fortescue of Wood, and Monk. Hugh Champernowne, of Modbury, son of Richard, married the heiress of Boys; his son William, the heiress of Chiderlegh. Sir Philip, grandson of William, had two sons, John, and Sir Arthur, ancestor of the Champernownes of Dartington. Henry, son of John, had two sons; Sir Richard, who died without issue, and Sir Arthur, who was knighted by the Earl of Essex in Ireland, in 1599: he married the heiress of Crukerne; Philip, one of his descendants, married a co-heiress of Hillersdon, of Membland, who died without issue; and afterwards a daughter of Wise, heiress to her maternal grandfather, (Full). Arthur Champernowne, Esq., the representative of the Modbury branch, and the possessor of Modbury Castle, died in 1697, or 1698, without issue. (fn. n11) Rawlin Champernowne, Esq., the last heir male of the Dartington, and only remaining branch of this ancient family, died without issue, in 1774. The heiress of Arthur Champernowne, Esq., who died in 1766, married a younger son of Sir John Harrington, Bart., whose only son, Arthur, took the name and arms of Champernowne, in 1774, and died in 1820: his elder son, Arthur, a minor, is the present representative of the family.
The manors of Umberleigh and North Tawton, came into the possession of younger sons of the Champernowne family, by the marriage of heiresses, at an early period. Jordan Champernowne, married the heiress of Soleny, of Umberleigh, and left a daughter and heiress married to Sir Ralph Willington, of Gloucestershire, in the reign of Edward III. Oliver Champernowne married a co-heiress of Valletort (fn. n12), of North Tawton, and his daughter, according to Risdon, or, according to Prince, his grand-daughter, brought North Tawton, to the Atwoods.
Cholwich, of Farringdon. — This family was originally of Cholwich, in Holbeton, afterwards of Oldstone, in Blackawton, by marriage with the heiress of Rich. The co-heiresses of Thomas Cholwich, Esq., of Oldstone, married Lear, Fowell, and Cholwich, of a younger branch. The father of John Burridge Cholwich, Esq., of Farringdon House, the present representative of the family, married the heiress of Burridge.
Clark, of Bridwell, in Halberton. — This family appears to have been settled above two hundred years at Bridwell, late the seat of Richard Hall Clark, Esq., who died in 1821, leaving a son, John Were Clarke, Esq., then of Burrington, near Plymouth. The heiress of Were, or Weare, has married into this family.
Coffin, of Portledge. — The Coffins possessed the manor of Alwington, in which parish Portledge is situated, as early as the reign of William the Conqueror: different branches of the family were of Combe-Coffin, and Coffin's Well. The heiress of Hathey, and a co-heiress of Hingeston, married into this family. A younger branch, which eventually became the head of the house, was of Goldworthy. Upon the death of Richard Coffin, Esq., the last heir-male, in 1766, Richard Bennet, Esq., his sister's son, took the name of Coffin, and died without issue, in 1796. The representation of this ancient family then became vested in the Rev. John Pine, his great-grandmother having been the elder daughter of Richard Coffin, Esq., who died in 1699; her younger sister married Yeo. Mr. Pine, took the name of Coffin, in addition to that of his own family, by sign-manual, in 1797. He is now resident at Bath: his eldest son, Richard Pine Coffin, Esq., resides at the old family-seat at Portledge.
Coham, of Coham and Upcot. — The co-heiresses of Holland of Upcot, married Coham, of Coham; and Coham of Bovacot, in the reign of Charles II. The Rev. William Holland Coham, of Coham, the representative of these families, married a co-heiress of Bickford, of Dunsford. Mr. Coham bears the arms of Holland.
Cutcliffe, of Damage in Ilfracombe, now of Wibbery in Alverdiscott. — The heiresses of Grenowne (fn. n13), Chichester (fn. n14), and Newell, and a co-heiress of Mervin, have married into this ancient family; of which John Mervin Cutcliffe, Esq., is the representative.
Arms: —G., 3 pruning-hooks (fn. n15), Arg.
Deane or Dene, of Newton Petrock, and of Horwood. — The heiresses of Leigh of Ashwater, and of Futts of Horwood, married into this family, of which the Rev. John Dene of Horwood, is now the representative. The Deanes appear to have settled at Newton Petrock, in the sixteenth century.
Doidge, of Comb, in Milton Abbot, — The ancestors of this family are said to have been tenants to the Abbot of Tavistock, as early as the thirteenth century. Morris Doidge, Esq., is the present representative.
Drewe, of Grange, in Broad-hembury. — Prince supposes, that the Drewes, of Grange, were descended from a younger son of a family of that name, which was of Drewe's Cliff, and of Hayne in the parish of Newton St. Cyres. The heiresses of Worsford, and of Farr, married into this family; and its heiress married, first Northcote, and afterwards, Giles of of Bowden. There was also a family of Drewe, of Modbury. William Drewe, the immediate ancestor of Edward Drewe, Esq., Serjeant-at-law, who died in 1622, married an heiress or co-heiress of Prideaux, of Sharpham, and one of his ancestors the heiress of Huckmore. Sergeant Drewe, settled at Killerton, now the seat of Sir T. D. Acland, Bart., and built the old house there. His son, Sir Thomas, built the Grange, which has ever since been the seat of the family. William Drewe, Esq., is the present representative: his father married the heiress of Rose, of Dorsetshire. There was a younger branch of the Drewes of Sharpham, settled at Kenne, one of whom married a co-heiress of Cruwys. This branch is extinct.
Fellowes, of Eggesford. — The family of Fellowes purchased this place in 1718. The Honourable Newton Fellowes, now of Eggesford, is younger son of the last Earl of Portsmouth, by the heiress of Coulson Fellowes (fn. n16), Esq. He took the name and arms of Fellowes in 1794.
Fortescue, of Buckland Filleigh. — William Fortescue, second son of Martin Fortescue, by the heiress of Denzell, or Densell (fn. n17), and grandson of Sir John Fortescue, the Lord Chancellor, married the heiress of Atkins, of Milton Abbot, and was of Buckland Filleigh, which had been settled upon him by his mother, as the inheritance of her ancestors, the Filleighs. William, the eighth in descent of this branch, was Master of the Rolls: he married one of the co-heiresses of Fortescue of Fallopit, and left an only daughter, married to John Spooner, Esq., by whom she had no surviving issue. John Fortescue, a first cousin of the Master of the Rolls, whose father, George, had married the heiress of Fortescue of Spridleston, became the representative of this branch, and possessed Buckland Filleigh: he died without issue. His sister Rebecca married Caleb Inglett, Esq. (fn. n18), whose son Richard took the name of Fortescue in 1777, and was father of John Inglett Fortescue, Esq. (fn. n19), the present representative of this, and of the Spridleston branch.
Sir Faithful Fortescue, elder son of John Fortescue, of Buckland Filleigh, by his second wife, Susanna Chichester, settled in Ireland in the reign of James I., and was ancestor of the Earl of Clermont.
Younger branches of the Fortescues of Buckland Filleigh settled at Shebbear, Hatherleigh, Milton Abbot, Northam, Parkham, and High Bickington. There are male descendants from some of these branches. John Fortescue, Esq., is representative of the Shebbear branch.
Fownes, of Nethway in Brixham, purchased in 1696. — Henry Fownes, Esq., in 1750, married the heiress of Luttrell of Dunston. The family, of which John Fownes Luttrell, Esq., is the representative, still possess Nethway, but do not at present reside there.
Fulford, of Fulford, in the parish of Dunsford. — This ancient family is traced with certainty to the reign of Richard I., and it is probable that they have resided at Fulford, at least from the time of the Conquest. (fn. n20) It is now the seat of their representative, Baldwin Fulford, Esq. The heiresses, or co-heiresses, of Fitz Urse, Belston, Moreton, Brien, Bosum, Bonville, Samways, and Tuckfield, have married into this family.
Fursdon, of Fursdon in Cadbury. — This ancient family, of which George Sydenham Fursdon, Esq., is now the representative, is traced by Sir William Pole up to the reign of Henry III. The heiresses of Hayes, Cullen, and Elsworth; and the co-heiresses of Dunsmore and Cheyney (fn. n21), have married into this family.
Crest: — Five feathers issuing out of a ducal coronet. (fn. n22)
Furse, of Furse, in the parish of Spreyton, afterwards of Halsdon in Dolton. — The ancestors of this ancient family are known to have been of Furse in the reign of Richard I.: in consequence of a marriage with a co-heiress of Bellew, they removed to Halsdon, now the property and occasional residence of the Rev. Peter Wellington Furse, whose father married one of the co-heiresses of Wellington, of Way, in the parish of St. Giles.
Gilbert, of Greenway and Compton, now of Holwell. — The ancestor of this ancient family, who was of Greenway in the reign of Edward II., had a son who married a co-heiress of Compton: the heiress of Reynward, and co-heiresses of Champernowne, Ager, and Pomeroy, have married also into this family. The representative of the elder branch is the Rev. Pomeroy Gilbert, of Bodmin, in Cornwall. Sir Humphrey Gilbert, the celebrated navigator, was of this family. Younger branches of it were settled at Holwell in South Milton, and at Comb Royal. A co-heiress of Osborne married into the Holwell branch, of which the Rev. Henry Abraham Gilbert, now of Holwell, is the representative. The heiress of Webber married into another branch (now extinct), which sometimes bore the name of Webber. A branch of this family, which had settled at East Bourne in Sussex, having married the heiress of Eversfield about the year 1600, is now represented by Davies Gilbert, Esq., (formerly Giddy (fn. n23)) M. P., V. P. R. S.
Gould, of Lew Trenchard. — The elder branch of this family who, as citizens of Exeter, are traced to the reign of Edward III., was of Combe in Staverton in the reign of Queen Elizabeth; afterwards of Hayes, near Exeter, and of Downes. It became extinct by the death of William Gould, Esq., in 1726; the co-heiresses married Buller and Tuckfield. Edward Gould, Esq., the last heir male of a younger branch, settled at Lew Trenchard; died in 1788: his sister and heir married Charles Baring, Esq., father of William Baring Gould, Esq., now of Lew Trenchard, who took the name and arms of Gould in 1795. Some descendants of a younger branch are supposed to be still living at Dorchester.
Gwynn, of Ford Abbey. — Francis Gwynn, Esq., in 1690, married the heiress of Prideaux of Ford Abbey, who had married a co-heiress of Franceis of Comb Flory, in Somersetshire, and taken that name. Upon the death of Francis Gwynn, Esq., son of Francis above mentioned, John Franceis, of Combe Flory, added the name of Gwynn to that of Franceis in 1780, and was father of John Franceis Gwynn, Esq., now of Ford Abbey.
Hallet, of Stedcombe in Axmouth. — The family of Hallet, who came from Barbadoes, have resided at this place about a hundred years. Richard Hallet, Esq., who purchased Stedcombe in 1691, married the heiress of Southcote of Dulcis.
Hamlyn, of Paschoe in Colebrook, now of Leawood in Bridestowe. — The ancestors of this family, who had resided in Exeter as early as the middle of the fifteenth century, settled at Paschoe in 1611. The heiress of an elder branch married Harris. The father of Calmady Pollexfen Hamlyn, Esq., now of Leawood, married a co-heiress of Calmady.
Harris, of Radford. — This ancient family settled at Radford in Plymstock in the reign of Henry V. The sixth in descent married the heiress of Esse alias Trecarrell, of Trecarrell in Cornwall: the elder branch became extinct by the death of Sir Christopher Harris, Knt., in 1624. His sister and heir brought Radford to John Harris, Esq., of Llanreast in Cornwall, whose mother was heiress of Hart. John Harris, Esq., now of Radford, is his immediate descendant.
Harris, of Castle Park, in Lifton. — The grandfather of William Arundell Harris, Esq., took the name of Harris in 1776. William Arundell, Esq., of Trengwainton, father of the last-mentioned William, married a daughter of Christopher Harris, Esq., of Hayne, who died in 1726. Christopher Harris, Esq., of Hayne, the last of the Hayne family, died in 1775. (fn. n24)
Harward, of Hayne in Plymtree. — This family has been settled at Hayne more than 300 years: it is probable that they may have been descended from a younger son of the ancient family of Hereward, one of whom married an heiress of Cornu. The late Charles Harward, Dean of Chichester, married a co-heiress of Dr. Ball, Dean of Chichester, by a co-heiress of Mills, who married the sister and heiress of the last of the Sussex branch of Monk. The Rev. Charles Blake, who married his daughter and heir, took the name of Harward in 1816.
Hawkins, now of Norton, in the parish of Churchstow. — Sir John Hawkins, grandson of William Hawkins, Esq., of Tavistock, and his son, Sir Richard Hawkins, were both celebrated navigators and naval commanders in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The immediate descendant and representative of these gallant officers, is John Hawkins, Esq., of Norton. His brother, Abraham Hawkins, Esq., is of Alston in Marlborough.
Hoare, of Luscombe in Dawlish. — There was an ancient family of the name of Hore, in later times occasionally spelt Hoare, settled at Risford, or Rushford, in the parish of Chagford, in the reign of Richard II., having married the heiress of Risford, of that place. This family became extinct in its principal branch by the death of Charles Hoare, Esq., in 1726. Charles Hoare, Esq., now of Luscombe, (half brother of Sir Richard Colt Hoare, Bart.,) is supposed to have been descended from one of this family, who had removed into Buckinghamshire. On this supposition he bears the arms of Hoare of Rushford, with a trifling difference, as confirmed by the Heralds' College.
Holdsworth, of Widecombe. — This family came from Halifax in Yorkshire, about the year 1620. The son of the Rev. Mr. Holdsworth, who was then of Modbury, settled at Dartmouth, and was ancestor of Arthur Holdsworth, Esq., late M. P. for that town.
Huyshe, of Sand near Sidmouth. — Rowland Huyshe, Esq., of Doniford in Somersetshire, (descended probably from a younger branch of the ancient family of Hiwis, or Huish, of Huish in this county,) purchased Sand about the year 1560. His immediate descendant, and the present owner of Sand, (now a farm-house) is the Rev. Francis Huyshe, rector of Clist Hydon. One of the co-heiresses of Reynell, by an heiress of Peryam, married into this family.
Ilbert, formerly of Rill, in Buckfastleigh, now of Bowringsleigh. — William Ilbert, Esq., purchased Rill in the reign of William III. The heiress of Roope married into this family, the representative of which is the Rev. Roope Ilbert, now of Bowrings Leigh, in South Allington.
Incledon, now of Yeotown in Goodleigh. — The Incledons were of Incledon in Braunton, where they are traced by records as early as the reign of Edward III. Family pedigrees carry them up to the reign of King John. The heiress of the elder branch married the late P. R. Webber, Esq. The representative of a younger branch, and the heir male of the family, is Robert Newton Incledon, Esq., now of Yeotown. The heiresses of Wolf and Newton married into this family.
Kekewich, of Peamore. — Samuel Kekewich, Esq., who purchased Peamore about 20 years ago, is of a Lancashire family, settled in Cornwall about the middle of the sixteenth century, in consequence of a marriage with the heiress of Talcarne. The heiresses of Bradfield and Essex married also into this family, and Mr. Kekewich is representative also of the Trehawkes of Liskeard.
Ley, now of Lee House, in Marwood. — The ancestors of George Ley, Esq., of this place, were of Combe Martin for nearly two centuries. Lee House was acquired by a marriage with the heiress of Thorne; the heiress of Downe also married into this family.
Luscombe, of Luscombe, afterwards of Comb Royal, in West Allington. — The Luscombes were of Luscombe, in the parish of Rattery, in the reign of Henry IV. The sister and heir of John Luscombe, Esq., who died in 1776, married Creed, whose heiress married Manning. In 1813 John Luscombe Manning, the son, took the name of Luscombe. Mr. Luscombe, who died in 1776, had a cousin of the same name, who was of Woolcombe in Woodleigh, and had several sons.
Malet, of Ash in Iddesleigh. — Sir Baldwin Malet, of Enemer in the reign of Henry III., married one of the co-heiresses of Deaudon, of Deaudon, in the parish of Withecombe in the Moor, which estate was sold by Sir John Malet, K.B. A younger branch of this family was of Wolley, in the parish of Beaford. The heiress of this branch married Acland. A younger brother of Malet of Wolley married the heiress of Vyel of Ash, probably about the year 1500. This branch is represented by Hugh Malet, Esq., now of Ash. The heiresses of Holcombe and Veale married also into this family. A younger son of Sir John Malet, K. B., married the heiress of Monford, and settled in Devon, where his posterity continued for four descents. The heiress married Fulford.
Northmore, of Cleve, near Exeter. — The ancestors of Thomas Northmore, Esq., now of Cleve, being of an ancient Somersetshire family, settled in Devonshire in the early part of the seventeenth century. They were of South Tawton and of Wonford in Throwley, before the purchase of Cleve, in the reign of Charles II. The heiresses of Risdon, and Sydenham, and a co-heiress of Knapman, married into this family.
Osmond, of Stagmill in Uplowman, Herne in Halberton, and Pool-Anthony, in Tiverton.— Four descents of this family are described in the visitation of 1620. The present representative is the Rev. Charles Osmond Osmond, of Tiverton. Two co-heiresses of an elder son of this family, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, married Foxwell.
Pyne or Pine, of East Downe. — Oliver Pyne, of Ham, in Cornwall, married the heiress of Downe, of East Downe, in the reign of Edward III. The representative of this ancient family is the Rev. John Pine Coffin, of Bath. The Rev. Charles Pine Coffin, one of his younger sons, resides at East Downe. Besides the heiress of Downe, the heiresses or co-heiresses of Ilcombe, Salle, Brit, Appleton, and Penfowne, have married into this family.
Quicke, of Newton St. Cyres. — This family, which has been for about two centuries at Newton St. Cyres, came out of Somersetshire. The heiresses of Sharland and Nutcombe have married into it. The present representative is John Quicke, Esq.
Radcliffe, of Hockworthy, now of Warleigh. — This family, which came out of Lancashire, was of Kingset in Devon, in 1560, and of Hockworthy, in 1693. Warleigh, the seat of the Rev. Walter Radcliffe, the present representative, was purchased by Jasper Radcliffe, Esq., who was sheriff in 1689.
Saltren, of Petticombe. — A younger branch of the Saltrens, of Treludick, in Cornwall, settled at Petticombe before the middle of the seventeenth century. The present representative is Augustus Saltren Willett (fn. n25), Esq.; Petticombe is in the possession of Miss Saltren, the representative of a younger branch.
Sampson, of Colyton. — This family, of which Samuel Sampson, Esq., now of Colyton, is the representative, have been settled here more than two centuries. They are supposed to have come from Somersetshire: Mr. Sampson has estates in that county, which have been long in the family. The grandfather of Mr. Sampson married the heiress of Braddich.
Savery, of South Efford, in the parish of Aveton Gifford. — This family was originally settled at Halberton and Totnes, afterwards, at Shilston in Modbury, still their property. Co-heiresses of Servington, of Gilbert alias Webber, and Dyer, have married into this family, of which John Savery, Esq., of Bristol, is the present representative; but the family estate is now the property and residence of his younger brother, Christopher Savery, Esq.
Short, now of Bickham, in Kenne. — Four descents of this family are described in the visitation of 1620, as of Newton St. Cyres and of Exeter. John Short of Newton married the heiress of Shirland. The representative of this family is Francis Baring Short, Esq.
Sillifant, of Combe, in Colebrooke. — This family, who formerly wrote their name Sullivan or Syllivan, came from Beare, in Ireland, in 1641. Combe was acquired by marriage with Snell, in 1677. John Sillifant, Esq., now of Combe, married the heiress of Prideaux, of North Tawton.
Southmead, of Wrey, in Chagford. — This family is traced for six descents, in the visitation of 1620. Thomas, the first mentioned in the pedigree, married the heiress of Corsett, whose ancestor had married the heiress of Delaford, by the heiress of Wrey. John Rowe Southmead, Esq., of Holy Street, in Chagford, is the present representative of this family: his father married the heiress of Rowe, of Holy Street.
Spurway, of Spurway and Oakford. — This ancient family, originally Grede, had assumed the name of Spurway as early as the reign of Henry III. Co-heiresses of Stringer and Liston, and the heiress of Ley of Dartmouth, have married into this family; the representative of which is the Rev. John Spurway, of Pilton, near Barnstaple, who possesses the manor of Spurway.
Stawell, formerly of Merton, by marriage with a co-heiress of Merton, now of West Anstey. — The descendant of the elder branch of this family, into which co-heiresses of Farway and St. Maur had also married, was created Baron Stawell: the male line of this branch became extinct by the death of Edward Lord Stawell, in 1755: the heiress married Legge, who was created Lord Stawell. Willoughby Bryant Stawell, Esq., of West Anstey, in Devonshire, is the representative of a younger branch of this ancient family: his great-great-grandfather married a co-heiress of Holbrooke.
Stevens, of Vielstone, in Buckland Brewer and Cross, in 1672. — Henry Stevens, Esq., the last heir male of this family, died in 1802. Thomas More, Esq., his sister's son, took the name and arms of Stevens, in 1817, and is now of Cross and Winscot.
The heiress of a younger branch of this family, which was of Frithelstock and Winscot, married Awse, and afterwards Clevland. By the bequest of the late John Clevland, Esq., Winscot is now the property of Thomas Stevens, Esq.
Strode, of Newnham. — This ancient family was originally of Strode, in the parish of Ermington, where they are traced as early as the reign of Henry III. John, the seventh in descent, married a co-heiress of Newnham, in the reign of Henry IV. The heiresses of Peniles of Plympton, and Courtenay of Loughtor (fn. n26), married into this family, of which George Strode, Esq., is the present representative.
Swete, formerly of Trayne, in Modbury, now of Oxton. — The last heir male of this family, which had acquired Trayne by a marriage with the heiress of Trayne, of that place, in the reign of Edward VI., died in 1755. The Rev. John Tripe, of Ashburton, whose family had been long settled at Dawlish, took the name of Swete, by act of parliament, in 1781: he died in 1821, and was succeeded by his eldest son, John Beaumont Swete, Esq., who is representative also of the ancient family of Martyn.
Symons, of Chaddlewood. — William Hales Symons, Esq., of this place, is descended from a younger branch of a Suffolk family of that name, which settled in Cornwall in the seventeenth century. William Symons, Esq., the first who settled in Devonshire, married the heiress of the Rev. Christopher Jelinger, a learned and pious divine, who fled his native place, Worms, in the palatinate of the Rhine, on account of religious persecution, and was some time vicar of South Brent. Having been dispossessed at the Restoration, he retired to the neighbourhood of Kingsbridge, being possessed of an estate there, now the property of his descendant, the Rev. H. J. Symons, LL.D. Dr. Symons's father, the late Rev. Jelinger Symons, was rector of Whitburn, in the county of Durham, to which benefice he was most honourably presented by the bishop of that diocese, for his useful publications in defence of the church of England.
Taylor, of Denbury and West Ogwell. — Joseph Taylor (fn. n27), Esq., ancestor of Pierce Joseph Taylor, Esq., now of Ogwell House, married the heiress of Whitrow, by one of the co-heiresses of Reynell, of West Ogwell, in the early part of the last century: his father married the heiress of Pierce.
Arms: — Quarterly, Az. and G., the perspective of an antique temple, Arg.; on the pinnacle and exterior battlement a cross, Or; in the first quarter, an eagle displayed; in the second, a stag trippant regardant, of the last.
Crest: — On a wreath, a mount Vert; thereon a holy lamb, Argent, in the dexter foot a pennon of the second charged with a cross of St. George; the streamers wavy, Az. and G., the staff, Or, under an oak-tree, Proper, fructed, Or.
Treby, of Goodamoor, in Plympton. — Paul Treby Treby, Esq., of this place, is son of Paul Ourry, Esq., by Charity, sister and heiress of George Treby, Esq., who was son of the Honourable George Treby, and grandson of Sir George Treby, one of the Justices of the Common Pleas. Mr. Treby took that name by sign manual, in 1785. The Honourable George Treby married a co-heiress of Hele, of Halwell.
Tremayne, of Sydenham, in Maristow. — The ancient family of Tremayne, originally of Cornwall, settled in Devonshire in consequence of a marriage with the heiress of Trenchard, of Collacombe. Edmund Tremayne, the representative of this family in Prince's time, married the heiress of Wise of Sydenham, since which time Sydenham has been the chief seat of the Tremaynes. Arthur Tremayne, Esq., who died in 1808, was the last of the elder branch. On his death, the Rev. Henry Hawkins Tremayne, of Heligan, in Cornwall, succeeded to the estates, and became the male representative of this ancient family. Co-heiresses of Clotworthy and Hearle married into the Heligan branch.
Tuckfield, of Fulford Park. — Crediton was the original residence of this family, who were opulent manufacturers, soon after the first extension of the clothing trade, in the reign of Henry VIII. Their first country residence was at Great Raddon, in Thorverton. Henry Tuckfield, Esq., the last heir male, died in 1797. Richard Hippisley, son of the Rev. John Hippisley, of Stow, in Gloucestershire, took the name and arms of Tuckfield, in 1808, and resides at Fulford Park.
Walrond, of Bradfield, in Uffculm. — This ancient family, of which William Henry Walrond, Esq., is the representative, was settled at Bradfield as early as the reign of Henry III. The heiresses of Stowford, Ufflete, and Whitinge, have married into this family. A younger branch was settled for several descents at Bovey: the heiress of this branch married Lord Rolle, and is lately deceased.
Webber. — The late Philip Rogers Webber, Esq., of Buckland, in Braunton, married one of the co-heiresses of the elder branch of the Incledon family. Buckland is now the seat of his son, Henry Webber, Esq., a General in the East India Company's service.
Willett, of Combe in Abbotsham, Porthill in Northam, and Tapeley in Westleigh. — John Willett, Esq., who died in 1736, was the last heir male of this family, who had been settled for a few descents at Combe: he bequeathed his estates to William Saltren, second son of Thomas Saltren, Esq., of Stone, in Parkham; his elder son, Augustus, who took the name of Willett in addition to that of Saltren, was of Porthill in Northam, and died in 1803, leaving a son, Augustus Saltren Willett, Esq., who inherits Tapeley, in the parish of Westleigh, under the will of the late John Clevland, Esq.
Woollcombe, of Hemerdon and Ashbury. — There can be little doubt that the Woollcombes are descended from the same common ancestor as the ancient family of Wollacombe. Two hundred years ago the name was spelt Wolcomb, and in the visitation of 1620 the arms of Wollacombe are assigned to this family, with a mullet for difference. The first of the Woollcombes, or Wolcombes, of whom we find mention, is William Wolcombe, of Holland in Plympton, who married the heiress of Bawden in the reign of Henry VII.: his two sons married the co-heiresses of Pitts of Pitton in Yealmton. Thomas Woollcombe, Esq., now of Plymouth, is the representative, and the seventh in lineal descent from the elder. His son, George Woollcombe, Esq., possesses and resides at Hemerdon. The heiresses of Winston, Stokes, and Avent, and a co-heiress of Bedford, have married into this branch.
The younger branch resided for some generations at Pitton: in consequence of a marriage with the heiress of Walter, they removed to Ashbury. The heiress of Morth, and a co-heiress of Pascoe, married into this branch, of which John Morth Woollcombe, Esq., of Ashbury, is the representative.
Arms: — The same as Wollacombe (fn. n28), with a mullet for difference.
Worth, of Worth, in Washfield. — This ancient family, into which the heiresses of Furlong and Furse have married, was of Worth in the reign of Henry III. The present representative is John Worth, Esq., now of Worth.
Yarde, originally of Yarde, in Malborough, now of Trowbridge, which was acquired by purchase in 1759. — The heiresses of Bussell and Ferrers married into this family: the elder branch, in consequence of the lastmentioned marriage, settled at Churston Ferrers, and became extinct in 1773, by the death of John Yarde, Esq. His brother, Francis Yarde, Esq., of Ottery St. Mary, who had married a co-heiress of Northleigh, left an only daughter, heiress to the family, who married the late Sir Francis Buller, Bart. Gilbert Yarde, a younger son of this family, settled at Bradley, and was ancestor of John Yarde, Esq., now of Trowbridge. There was another branch of Treasurer's Bere, in Clist Honiton, the representative of which took the name of Sainthill. (fn. n29)
Yonge, of Puslinch. — This family, which came from Sturminster Newton, in Dorsetshire, had resided for several generations at Landsend, in the parish of Colebrooke: they removed to Puslinch in consequence of a marriage with a co-heiress of Upton, in the beginning of the last century. The Rev. John Yonge, of Puslinch, is the present representative. The late Sir William Young, G. C. B., was of this family: he had a younger brother, Admiral James Young, now of Barton-end, in Gloucestershire.
Crest: — On a wreath, Or, and G., a buck's head couped between two fern branches, Vert. In this grant of arms the name is spelt both Yonge and Young. At this time the parties to whom the grant was made had failed in proving their right to arms; but it appears clearly from documents in the Heralds' College, that the ancestor of the Yonges, then of Landsend, in Colebrooke, and of Sturminster Newton, in Dorsetshire, had a grant from the celebrated Camden, when Clarencieux King of Arms, of the following coat: Per fesse, S. and Argent, three lions passant gardant counterchanged.