Magna Britannia: Volume 6, Devonshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1822.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
At the time of making the Domesday survey, the manor was held by Stephen de Haccombe under Baldwin the sheriff. The heiress of Haccombe brought it to Sir John L'Ercedekne, or Archdeacon, whose son, Sir Warren, had two daughters co-heirs. The elder brought this estate to Sir Hugh Courtenay, and it passed with the elder of his daughters and co-heirs to Nicholas Lord Carew. Lady Carew being possessed of this estate in her widowhood, gave it to Nicholas, her second son, whose immediate descendant, Thomas, was created a baronet in 1661. Haccombe is now the property and seat of Sir Henry Carew, the present and seventh baronet.
In the parish-church, which was dedicated in the year 1328, are some monuments of the early possessors of Haccombe (fn. n1), and some of the Carew family. (fn. n2) A Gothic altar-piece, a stone screen, stone pulpit, &c., are now constructing for this church by Mr. Nicholas Kendall, at the expense of Sir Henry Carew, Bart.
It is a mistaken notion that the church of Haccombe has any peculiar privileges. The fact is, that it was made a college or arch-presbytery by Sir John L'Ercedekne about the year 1341, pursuant to the intention of his father-in-law, Sir Stephen de Haccombe. The college consisted of an arch-priest and five other priests, who lived together in community, and it was endowed with the great tithes of the parishes of Haccombe and of Quithiock in Cornwall. (fn. n3) The church of Haccombe is subject to the jurisdiction of the bishop, but claims an exemption from that of the archdeacon. The arch-priest, or rector as he is usually called, is the only remaining member of the college, and enjoys its revenues.
HALBERTON, in the hundred of that name and in the deanery of Tiverton, lies about three miles from Tiverton on the road to Wellington. There are several small villages or hamlets in this extensive parish, which contains above 7000 acres; as Chief Loman, Muxbear, Fivebridges, Brethem-bottom, Plumtree, Ash, Seccarley, Shuthanger, and Sutton. The village of Halberton is divided into Higher Town and Lower Town. The whole population of the parish was computed in 1772 at about 2200, but it appears that it must have been much over-rated: by the census of 1801 it was found then to contain only 1436; in 1811 only 1355.
The manor of Halberton, which had been part of the royal demesne (fn. n4), was the property of the ancient family of De Bosco, or Boys, who resided here from the reign of Henry II. to that of Edward II. The heiress of the seventh in descent married Henry Burton, whose daughter brought it to the ancestor of Earl Pawlet. It was purchased in 1809, together with the royalty of the hundred, by Richard Hall Clarke, Esq., of Bridwell, the present proprietor, of J. E. Manning, Esq., to whom it had been conveyed by Earl Pawlet in 1808.
The manor of Halberton Abbot, or Halberton Dean, belonged to the abbey of St. Augustine, in Bristol (fn. n5), now to the dean and chapter of Bristol, under whom it is held on lease for lives by Earl Pawlet.
The manor of Morston belonged anciently to the family of De Morston, afterwards, for eight descents, to that of Gambon, whose co-heiresses in the reign of Edward IV. married Sydenham and Woolbearne. This estate was inherited by Sydenham, whose grand-daughter brought it to Wyndham. It is now the property of the Hon. Percy Wyndham.
The manor of Muxbear, or Mokesbeare, belonged so early as the reign of Henry II. to the family of Kelloway. After twelve descents it passed by sale to Richard Calmady, great uncle of Sir Shilston Calmady, who possessed it in Sir William Pole's time. In 1678 William Shere and his wife were possessed of this manor: after some intermediate alienations, it was purchased, in the early part of the last century, by the ancestor of R. H. Clarke, Esq., the present proprietor. Mr. Clarke possesses also an estate called Sealake, which belonged anciently to a family of that name, and afterwards to the Giffards.
Bridwell, the seat of R. H. Clarke, Esq., situated in a remote part of this parish near Uffculme, was purchased by his ancestor of the Berrys of Berry Narber, about two centuries ago. The present house was built by Mr. Clarke in 1779, when an old chapel near the site was taken down. The place was at the same time much improved, and extensive plantations made.
Swetton, now called Sutton, belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the family of De Swetton, whose heiress married De Granges, and the heiress of the latter Boys of Halberton. After this it passed by successive sales to Pasmer and Warr. It now belongs to Mrs. Sharland of Bradninch, who, before her marriage with her late husband, had been the widow of Sainthill.
Wobernford, now called Obenford, which had escheated to the crown by the death of John Fitz Lucas, was given by Henry III. to Sir Theobald de Englishville; and after the death of Sir Theobald, to Bartholomew de Yattyngden, whose heiress married Greynham: the heiress of Greynham brought it to Knighton. Sir Humphry Beauchamp of Ryme possessed it about the year 1300, and from him it passed through the Cheseldons to the Bluetts. It is now the property of Mr. R. Pitt, of East Butterleigh.
Manlegh, or Manley, in this parish, a freehold estate of about one hundred acres, has been in a family of that name since the reign of Henry III. It is now the property and residence of Henry Manley, Esq. Boycot, which was for several descents in a family of that name, is now the property of C. D. Pugh, Esq., of Thorverton. Correham, which had been successively in the families of De Correham, Avery, and Wodeton, belongs now to the Rev. Charles Osmond of Tiverton. Pytt, which in the reign of Edward I. belonged to the family of De Pytt, is now the property of the Rev. Mr. Pitman, of Tiverton.
The church of Halberton was given by William Earl of Gloucester to the abbey of St. Augustine, in Bristol. The dean and chapter of Bristol are now appropriators and patrons of the vicarage, which, about the year 1256, was endowed with the tithes of apples and all hay, except that of John De Albemarle. (fn. n10) There was formerly a chapel in the church-yard at Halberton, in which was a chantry endowed with lands, valued, in 1547, at 5l. 4s. 6d. per annum. In the parish-church was a fraternity of St. John the Baptist, endowed with a rent-charge of 6l. per annum.
There was formerly a chapel at Muxbear, of which there are no remains. Mr. Chapple's correspondent, in 1772, mentions three chapels in the parish, all then in ruins, and a dissenting meeting-house. There is now only a meeting-house of the Wesleyan methodists.
Halwell, or Holwell
The manor of Halwell, or Holwell Combe, was for many generations the property and residence of the Halghwills, or Holwells, one of whose co-heiresses brought it to the family of Verney. Sir John Holwell, the last of the elder branch, was a distinguished military officer, and accompanied the Earl of Devon to the relief of Exeter, when besieged by Perkin Warbeck, in 1497. (fn. n11) Sir John Hele purchased it of the Verneys. I cannot learn that there is any manor of Halwell now known.
Halwell, or Halwill
HALWELL, or HALWILL, in the hundred of Black Torrington and in the deanery of Holsworthy, lies about six miles and a half from Holsworthy. Strouds Upcott, Stowford, Landhill, and Foxhole, are small villages in this parish.
The manor belonged, at an early period, to the barons of Torrington: it was afterwards in the Cary family; and after the attainder of Sir William Cary, was granted to John Fortescue, in tail male, by King Edward IV. (fn. n12) At a later period, it was in the Arscotts, and is now the property of their descendant, Sir Arscott Ourry Molesworth, Bart. The king is patron of the rectory.
Harberton was the barony of the Valletorts, having been acquired by the marriage of Roger Valletort with one of the daughters of Reginald Earl of Cornwall. After the extinction of this branch of the Valletorts, the manor of Harberton was in moieties, between the families of Corbet and Pomeroy, into which the co-heiresses had married. This manor has been long ago dismembered, and all manerial rights disused.
The manor of Ingleborne, or Engelbourn, belonged to the abbey of Buckfastleigh. After the dissolution it was purchased of the crown by John Wootton (fn. n13), Esq. After the death of Samuel Wootton, Esq., the last of this family, in or about 1785, this manor was sold, and has since been divided into parcels. The barton, which has of late passed through several hands, is now the property and residence of Mr. Richard Browne. The manor of Haroldesore, in this parish, belonged, at the time of the Norman survey, to Robert Bastard, whose male descendants possessed it till the reign of Edward III. After this, it appears to have passed by successive marriages to Whitlegh, Grenville, and Drake. John Drake sold it, in 1548, to William Hurst, whose great-grandson gave it to William Martyn, Esq. Sir Nicholas Martyn, the son, possessed it in Sir William Pole's time. This estate, now called the barton of Hazard, is the property of Arthur Farwell, Esq., who purchased it, since 1814, of the trustees of the late Thomas Lear, Esq. Mr. Lear's grandfather bought it of the Risdons. It is called in old deeds the manor of Hardiswardshore, otherwise Hardwerdshore, otherwise Hasworth, otherwise Hazard.
Washbourn Bawson, in this parish, was long in the family of Elford: it now belongs to the children of the Rev. John Digby Fowell, by his first wife, a co-heiress of Knowling. Sandwell was the seat of a branch of the Risdons, and was sold by Thomas Risdon, Esq., in 1708, to Thomas Lear, Esq. It is now the property and residence of John Bennett, Esq., who purchased it, since 1814, of the trustees of the late Thomas Lear, Esq.
Luscombe, which gave name to an ancient family, belongs now, together with the barton of Dundridge, to Mr. Jasper Parrot; Dorsely, to Edward Wynne Pendarves, Esq., in right of his wife, one of the coheiresses of Trist.
In the parish-church are monuments of the families of Risdon (fn. n14), Lear (fn. n15), and Perring. (fn. n16) The dean and chapter of Exeter have the appropriation of the great tithes, and are patrons of the vicarage. There was formerly a free chapel at Washbourn Bawson, endowed with lands, valued, in 1547, at 5l. 14s. 9d. per annum. (fn. n17)
Harford, or Herford
The manor belonged, at an early period, to the Peverells, lords of the hundred of Ermington; in the reign of Edward III., to the Harstons; at a later period to the family of Cole. In 1622, it was sold by Christopher Cole to Sir Richard Buller and others, trustees, probably, for Williams of Stowford, whose family became possessed of it about this time. No manerial rights have of late been exercised for this estate. The manor, or nominal manor, of East Harford, alias Stowford, belonged, at an early period, to Matthew de Ivybridge, whose daughter brought it to Dymock. From the latter it passed to Bonville, and was forfeited by attainder. It became afterwards, by purchase from the crown, as Sir William Pole supposes, the property of Adam Williams, whose son, Thomas Williams, Esq., was Speaker of the House of Commons in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The Speaker's mother was a Prideaux; and it is probable that the learned Dr. John Prideaux, some time Bishop of Worcester (fn. n18), born at Stowford, in 1578, was a relation of that family, although he is spoken of by Anthony Wood as of humble origin. John Williams, grandson of the Speaker, appears to have sold Stowford, in the reign of Charles I., to the Saverys, who some time resided there. From Savery it passed, not many years ago, by sale, to Mr. Dunsterville, of Plymouth; and from him to Mr. Rivers, who kept the inn at Ivybridge. It is now the property of Mr. Philip Bowen, who purchased of the creditors of Mr. Rivers. The old mansion of the Williams family was pulled down, and the present house built by Mr. Rivers.
The manor of Hall was some time in the Chudleigh family, and was the seat of Colonel Thomas Chudleigh, father of the Duchess of Kingston. It is now, by purchase, the property of Sir John Lemon Rogers, Bart. The house at Hall is occupied by the tenant of the farm. Lukesland and Darts, in this parish, are the property, by a late purchase, of the Rev. John Savage, the present rector of Harford, who resides at Lukesland Grove.
In the parish-church are monuments of the Williams family (fn. n19); a monument put up in 1639, by Dr. Prideaux, (then Rector of Exeter College,) to the memory of his father and mother; and that of John Julian, Esq., 1759. Sir John L. Rogers, Bart., has a moiety of the advowson; the other is vested in the heirs of the late Rev. Humphrey Julian of Egg Buckland.
HARPFORD, in the hundred of East Budleigh and in the deanery of Aylesbeare, lies about four miles from Ottery St. Mary, about four from Sidmouth, and about eleven from Exeter. Sotherton, Bowd or Bowood, and Stoford, are villages in this parish.
The manor belonged anciently to the Dinhams, having been parcel of their barony of Hartland (fn. n20), and was divided among the co-heiresses of Lord Dinham, who died in the reign of Henry VII. The several parts passed by sale to Dennis, Haydon, and Sir George Smyth. It is probable that Dennis eventually became possessed of the whole, Lord Rolle being now lord of the manor, by inheritance from that family. The ancient manor-house called Court Place, now a farm-house, is the property of the Rev. Sydenham Peppin. There is a tradition, evidently groundless, that it was, in ancient times, the county gaol, before it was removed to Bicton.
The church of Harp ford, which had been given, in 1205, to the abbey of St. Michael de Monte, was afterwards appropriated to the monastery of Sion. Lord Rolle is now patron and impropriator. The rectory and advowson were purchased, by his Lordship's father, of the co-heiresses of Duke, to which family they had belonged for several generations. Harpford has been consolidated with Fen Ottery.
HARTLAND, in the hundred and deanery of that name, lies on the north coast, about thirteen miles from Bideford. The village in which the church is situated is called Stoke. Harton, in this parish, is a small decayed markettown, spoken of in ancient records as a borough. (fn. n21) The market was granted, in 1280, to Oliver Dinham (fn. n22), to be held on Tuesday; and a fair at the festival of St. Nectan, for three days. There are now cattle fairs on the Wednesday in Easter week, and September 25. The market-house is standing; but no weekly market has been held for nearly forty years. There is a great market for cattle on the second Saturday in March. Other villages in the parish are Meddon, Cheristow, Millford, Elmscot, and Philham. Near Hartland Point, called by Ptolemy the Promontory of Hercules, is Hartland Pier, the property of Mrs. Orchard, where is a coasting trade for the exportation of corn, and the importation of lime-stone and coals.
Hartland, or Hertland Abbey, called in ancient times the Monastery of St. Nectan, was founded by Githa, wife of Earl Godwin, for canons secular. In the reign of Henry II. Geoffrey de Dinant, being then lord of Hartland, and patron of the abbey, consented that they should be changed into canons regular, and gave them the church of Stoke Nectan (now the parish-church of Hartland) with its chapels, and two hides of land at Stoke. From that time he was deemed the founder. The possessions of this abbey were valued, after its dissolution, at 326l. 13s. 2¼d. per annum. The site was granted in 1545 to William Abbot, Esq., serjeant of the cellar. One of the sisters and co-heirs of his nephew brought this estate to the Lutterells, and a co-heiress of Lutterell to the Orchards. It is now for life the property of Mrs. Orchard, relict of the late Paul Orchard, Esq., who resides at the abbey-house. Bishop Stapeldon, who visited this abbey in 1319, describes it as in a ruinous condition, and speaks of a new church then about to be erected. (fn. n23) A part of the cloisters still remains, exhibiting the architecture of that period. It appears, by an inscription, that the architect was John of Exeter: probably it was the abbot of that name, who resigned in 1329.
The manor, which had been Earl Godwin's, was given by William the Conqueror to Oliver de Dinant. That ancient family had a seat and two parks here. Their descendant, who was created Lord Dinham by King Edward IV., in 1466, dying without issue, his estates passed to the representatives of his four sisters, married to Carew, Arundell, Fitzwarren, and Zouch. The Abbot family became possessed of Carew's and Zouch's portions, which have passed with the Abbey-estate and form the manor of Hartland, now, by bequest of Colonel Orchard, the property of the Rev. Thomas Hooper Morrison. Henry Earl of Bath (representative of Fitzwarren) is said to have been possessed of the manor of Hartland in l644. (fn. n24) Probably this might have been Stoke manor, now the property of William Waddon Martyn, Esq., by inheritance from the Doctons. Both the Dinhams and the Abbots of Hartland had the power of capital punishment in their manors at Hartland. (fn. n25)
The manor of South Hole belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the family of Hole. It was afterwards in the Beapells, or Beauples, and having passed by successive heirs female to Loring, Harington, Bonville, and Grey, Duke of Suffolk, became vested in the crown by attainder. It now forms part of the manor of Hartland, belonging to Mr. Morrison.
Galsham, which had been given by Geoffrey de Dinant to Hartland Abbey, was for many years the property and residence of the Velley family: it is now a farm-house, the property of Mrs. Ann Coppinger and Mrs. Mary Randall, grand-daughters of the last Mr. Velley.
In the parish-church are monuments, or monumental inscriptions, for the families of Abbot (fn. n26), Lutterell (fn. n27), Orchard (fn. n28), Docton (fn. n29), and Velley (fn. n30); Mr. Digory Braginton, 1746; and Thomas Galsworthy, Esq., 1805.
The tithes of Hartland, which had been appropriated to the abbey, were granted by King James I., in 1612, to Francis Morris and Francis Phillips, by whom they were conveyed, in 1615, to Richard Sutton, Esq. and John Wottoii, Esq., and by them settled on the then new institution of the Charter-house. The governors of the Charter-house are patrons of the benefice.
It is said that there were formerly eleven chapels in this parish, St. Anthony's, at Harton; St. Leonard's, near Harton; St. Wenn's, at Cheristow; St. John's, at Long Furlong; St. Martin's, at Meddon; St. Mary's, at Firebeacon; St. Heligan's, at South Hole; St. James's, at Millford; St. Clare's, at Philham; one at Velley, and another at Gawlish. There are some remains of those at Long Furlong and Millford.
William Mill and John Dennis, in 1620, founded an almshouse for three poor widows, and endowed it with a small portion of land. Hugh Prust, in 1660, added two rooms for widowers, and gave a further endowment of a small portion of land. Forty children are instructed in a charity-school at Hartland, conducted on Dr. Bell's plan, and supported by voluntary subscription.
Dr. John Moreman, dean of Exeter in the reign of Edward VI., a learned divine, who wrote upon St. Paul's Epistles, and being vicar of Menheniot first introduced the English language into the church-service in Cornwall, was born in the parish of Hartland. (fn. n31)
Harwood, or Horwood
HARWOOD, or HORWOOD, in the hundred of Fremington and in the deanery of Barnstaple, lies a mile south of the turnpike-road from Barnstaple to Bideford, being 5½ from the former, and 3½ from the latter town. Lovicott is a small village in this parish.
The manor of Horwood belonged to the family of Le Cornu, whose heiress brought it to the Pollards. It was many years the principal residence of that family, who are said to have resided for several generations at Way, in this parish, before the above-mentioned match took place. The manor of Church Horwood was possessed, in the reign of Henry II., by the family of Lamprey, whose heiress brought it to Paslew early in the fourteenth century. It was purchased of this family by the Pollards before the year 1600. These estates, by the names of Pen Horwood and Church Horwood, are now the property of the Rev. John Dene, whose ancestor, John Dene, Esq., married Elizabeth Futts, grand-daughter and heiress of Arthur Pollard, Esq., who died in 1623.
East Harwood was, at an early period, for several generations in the family of Lancells; at a later period in the Rolles: this estate and West Horwood belong to Thomas Hogg, Esq., of Appledore, whose father purchased them of the uncle of the present Lord Rolle.
There are small markets both on Tuesday and Saturday for butchers' meat, &c, and four cattle-fairs, May 21., June 22., September 7., and November 9. A small woollen manufacture is carried on at this place.
The manor belonged to the abbot and convent of Tavistock, having formed part of its original endowment. Not long after the Reformation, it belonged to the Arscotts, having been purchased probably from the Russells. This manor was sold, not many years ago, by Sir Arscott Ourry Molesworth, Bart., to Mr. Joseph Oldham, a paper-manufacturer in Shropshire, and is now, under his will, the property of his nephew Joseph Lang, a minor. The waste of this manor belongs to the inhabitants.
The manor of Fishley, which had been parcel of the possessions of Tavistock-abbey, became the property and residence of a younger branch of the family of Yeo of Heanton Sachville. It now belongs to Mr. Darke of Launceston. The manor of Pulworthy belongs to Mr. George Gillard.
Leworth belonged to a family of that name, whose heiress brought it to Chauntrell; it is now divided into small farms. Langbear belonged to the Bretts, whose heiress brought it to Wise. It was afterwards successively in Belfield and Prideaux. It is now the property of John Sillifant, Esq., in right of his wife, who was the heiress of Prideaux.
In the parish-church are monuments and inscribed grave-stones in memory of the families of Yeo (fn. n35), Humphrey Speccot, Gent., 1654; William Wyvill, Gent., 1695; John Fortescue, his grandson, 1707; and John Lethbridge, 1706.
George Boughton, Esq., is impropriator of the great tithes which belonged formerly to the abbey of Tavistock. The patronage of the vicarage is vested in the trustees of the late James Ireland, Esq., of Brislington, near Bristol.
There is no endowed school at Hatherleigh (fn. n36): a charity-school for 20 children is supported by subscription. There is a Sunday-school for 100 children.
Heanton, Heampton, or Heaunton Punchardon
HEANTON, HEAMPTON, or HEAUNTON PUNCHARDON, in the hundred of Braunton and deanery of Shir well, lies about four miles and a half from Barnstaple. Rafton, Chivenor, and Western Ashford, are villages in this parish.
At the time of the Domesday survey, the manor of Heanton was held by Robert de Ponte Cardonis, or Punchardon, under Baldwin the sheriff. Sir Richard Punchardon, of this family, distinguished himself in the French wars in the reign of Edward III. One of the co-heiresses of Sir John Punchardon, the last heir male, brought Heanton-Punchardon to the Beaumonts, whose heiress married Basset. Colonel Arthur Basset, of Heanton, was governor of St. Michael's Mount when it was surrendered to Colonel Hammond in 1646. Francis Basset, Esq., the last heir male of this branch, who died in 1802, bequeathed this estate to his nephew Joseph Davie, Esq., of Watermouth, who has taken the name of Basset. Heanton Court, the old seat of the Bassets, a large mansion by the waterside, which forms a conspicuous object from Barnstaple Bridge, is now inhabited as a farm-house by the tenant of the barton.
The manor of West Ashford, which belonged formerly to the Bonvilles, and came to the crown by the attainder of the Duke of Suffolk, was purchased under a recent act of parliament by Mr. John Williams, attorneyat-law, of Barnstaple. Hart, some time the property and residence of the family of Ballyman, passed by marriage to the Chichesters, and is now the property of Sir Arthur Chichester, Bart.
In the parish-church is an ancient monument of one of the Coffin family; the monument of Arthur Basset, Esq., 1673; other memorials of that family (fn. n37), and of the families of Ballyman (fn. n38); and Mervin (fn. n39); for Frances, wife of Robert Dillon, Esq., 1651; Sarah, wife of George Colemore, and daughter of Sir John Southcote, 1651; the Rev. and learned George Hakewill, archdeacon of Surrey, who had been tutor to King Charles I., and died rector of Heanton in 1649; and John Hakewill his son, rector, who died in 1654. Mr. Basset is patron of the rectory.
HEAVITREE, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of Exeter, lies about one mile from Exeter. The principal villages in this parish are East and West Wonford, Whipton, Monkaton, and Polesloe or Polsloe.
The manor of Wonford, which anciently gave name to this parish, and still to the hundred, was part of the demesne of the crown, and had been settled on Editha, consort of Edward the Confessor. It was given by King Henry I. to Geoffrey de Mandeville, whose heiress brought it in marriage to William Fitzjohn. Their descendant, Henry Tylly (fn. n42), having forfeited it by joining with the French, King John gave it to Robert de Mandeville. This manor was afterwards successively in the Montacutes, Earls of Salisbury, and the Courtenays Earls of Devon. The Walronds of Tiverton had possessed it for some time when Sir William Pole made his collections. John Baring, Esq., purchased this manor of Arthur Kelly, Esq. (fn. n43), in 1775: it is now the property of Sir Thomas Baring, Bart., by purchase from his cousin in 1816.
East Wonford, or Wonford Speke, belonged to the family of Speke. Sir Thomas Speke sold it to Hurst, from whom it passed by inheritance to Bodley. Sir George Smith purchased this estate of Bodley; and in Sir William Pole's time it belonged to his great-grandson, a minor. This is now divided property. East Wonford House, which had belonged to the family of Pine, is now the property of Sir Moris Ximenes. South Wonford House, a large old mansion, which belonged to the Spicers of Weare, is now the property and residence of Mr. James Potter. Ringwell manor was given by Robert de Mandeville, in the reign of Henry III., to Nicholas Gervaise, or Gervis. The grand-daughter of this Nicholas brought it to Sir William Speke, by whom it was conveyed to Sir John Wiger. At a later period, it belonged to the Prudhomes (fn. n44), whose heiress brought it to Whiting. It is now the property of Sir Moris Ximenes, in right of his wife, relict of Edward Cotsford, Esq., who purchased it of Gregory Jackson, Esq. The barton of Rollestone, or Ruxton, in this parish, belonged formerly to St. John's Hopital; it is now the property of the Rev. William Meyrick. St. Loyes, being situated near the chapel of St. Loy, hereafter mentioned, is the property and residence of Pitman Jones, Esq.
The priory of Polesloe, in this parish, was founded for Benedictine nuns, in or before the reign of Richard I., by William Lord Briwere, or Brewer. Elizabeth Sydenham, the last prioress, surrendered it in 1538: its revenues were then valued at 164l. 8s. 11d. per annum. It has been said that there were then thirteen nuns, but I find mention of nine only who received pensions. In 1541, it was granted to Sir George Carew and Mary his wife for life; in 1550, with the manor of Polesloe, to John Earl of Warwick. It afterwards belonged to Arthur Champernowne, Esq., who conveyed it in exchange to Ailworth. The manor of Polesloe was afterwards, by purchase, in the family of Peter, who possessed it for two or three descents. The priory was the residence of Sebastian Isaac, Esq., who died in 1688. This estate is now the property of Montague Parker, Esq., in whose family it has been a considerable time. There are still some small remains of the conventual buildings: the chapel was pulled down by Colonel Sebastian Isaac.
The priory of St. James was founded by Baldwin de Rivers, as a cell to the Cluniac monastery of St. Martin in the Fields, near Paris, in 1146. The cemetery, adjoining the conventual church was consecrated in 1159. This convent, which consisted only of a prior and four monks, appears to have been suppressed in the reign of Henry VI., when its estates were given by that monarch to his newly founded establishment of King's College, in Cambridge. The immediate site of the buildings was in the parish of Heavitree, but the premises extended into St. Leonard's, and it is said into Alphington. There is now scarcely a vestige of it remaining. Chappie says, that the barn and part of the priory-house were standing about the year 1735.
The manor, or reputed manor, of Wippen or Whipton, at the northeast extremity of the parish, has long been in the Bampfylde family, and is now the property of Sir Charles Warwick Bampfylde, Bart. Great Madford is the property of Mr. James Oliver.
In the parish-church are monuments of Sebastian Isaac, Esq., 1688; Ambrose Rhodes, Esq., 1777; and in the church and church-yard several memorials of the family of Duck. (fn. n45) There are memorials also of Thomas Gorges, Esq., 1670; and the Rev. George Moore, vicar, and archdeacon of Cornwall, 1807.
At Wonford is the decayed chapel of St. Eligius, commonly called St. Loy, built, in 1377, by Henry Twill and his wife, who were then possessed of a manor in Wonford. (fn. n46) This chapel, which is now used as a stable (fn. n47), belongs, with the dwelling-house adjoining, to the trustees of the poor of Heavitree.
Bishop Grandisson's register mentions a chapel of St. Anne in this parish, without the east gate of Exeter; and Bishop Stafford's register, a chapel of St. Clement, near the river, in what is now the parish of St. David; and the chapel of St. Loy, above mentioned.
John Kelly, Esq., founded an almshouse at Heavitree, in the year 1517, which was seized in the reign of Edward VI., as having been appropriated to superstitious uses, and the endowment alienated. (fn. n48)
Sir Robert Dennis, in 1591, began the foundation of an almshouse, for twelve aged persons. It was completed by his brother, Sir Thomas Dennis, in 1594. This almshouse is endowed with a rent-charge of 45l. per annum. Lord Rolle appoints the pensioners as heir of the Dennis family.
Richard Duck, Esq., in 1603, pursuant, as it appears, to the direction and appointment of William Skinner, founded an almshouse consisting of four tenements, and endowed it with a rent-charge of 1l. 6s. per annum. The report made to the House of Commons in 1786, states also, that it was farther endowed with 8s. per annum, given by Wm. Skinner; and 1l. 6s. 8d. per annum, issuing out of lands then belonging to John Baring, Esq.
Richard Hoker, the learned author of the " Ecclesiastical Polity," was a native of Wonford, in this parish. Sir Arthur Duck, an eminent civilian, and author of "The Life of Archbishop Chichele," who lived in the reign of Charles I., was also a native of Heavitree.
The abbot of Dunkeswell had a grant, in or about 1290, of a weekly market at this place on Wednesday, and a fair for three days at the festival of the assumption of the Virgin Mary. (fn. n49) There is a cattle fair at Broad Hembury, on the 30th of November.
The manor belonged to the baronial family of Torrington, who held it as parcel of their barony. William, Baron Torrington, gave it to William, Lord Brewer, by whom it was bestowed on the abbey of Dunkeswell (fn. n50), of his foundation; after the dissolution, it was granted by King Henry VIII. to Thomas Wriothesley, Earl of Southampton, whose grandson sold it to Edward Drewe, serjeant-at-law to Queen Elizabeth. His descendant, William Drewe, Esq., is the present proprietor.
The lords of this manor had formerly the power of life and death. (fn. n51)
Priory, within the manor of Carswell, is said to have been an estate of the abbey of Dunkeswell; but it is more likely that it belonged to the priory of Montacute. It was some time a seat of the Seawards, whose heiress brought it to Hill; it belonged afterwards to the Sydenhams; and is now the property and residence of — Hellings.
At Carswell, in this parish, was a small priory of Cluniac monks, being a cell to the monastery of Montacute, in Somersetshire. (fn. n52) The site was granted by King Henry VIII. to John Etheruge. It was afterwards purchased by William Rowsewell, solicitor to Queen Elizabeth, whose son, Sir Henry, possessed it when Sir William Pole made his collections. The manor of Carswell cum Dulvet, or Dulford, is now the property of William Drewe, Esq. The last Earl of Montrath built a mansion in this parish, for his own residence, now called Montrath House, which, since his death, was sold to Lyons Walrond, Esq., and is now the property and residence of his widow.
In the parish-church are monuments of the Drewe family (fn. n53); Thomas Rose, Esq., 1747, (whose heiress married Drewe); Mrs. Mary Seaward, of Priory, 1724; Richard Hill, Esq., (who married the heiress of Seaward,) 1737.
The Rev. John Burrough gave the sum of 40l. for the endowment of a charity school in this parish, which having been laid out in land, in the year 1725, produces about 2l. per annum. Francis Drewe, Esq., in 1725, gave 5l. per annum to the parish-clerk and schoolmaster.
Hemiock, or Hemyock
The manor was, at the time of taking the Domesday survey, part of the demesne of the crown: it belonged afterwards to the ancient family of Hidon, who had a castle here. The heiress of Sir Richard Hidon married Joce Dinham, and afterwards Sir Piers Uvedale, who was a parliamentary baron, in the reign of Edward II. This manor descended to the posterity of Dinham, and was divided among the co-heirs of Lord Dinham, who died in the reign of Henry VII. Sir John Popham purchased the greater part of this estate in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and it continued some time in his family, but has been since divided into parcels. The fourth share of the manor, which belonged to the Arundells, as representatives of one of Lord Dinham's co-heirs, was purchased by Every, and passed by marriage to Leigh. This became afterwards the property of General Simcoe, and now belongs to his widow, together with the site of the castle, on which is a farm-house. There are remains of four of the towers and a gateway. Hemiock Castle appears to have been made a prison by the parliament, during the civil war (fn. n54): it was most probably one of their garrisons. The manor of Columb David, or Culme Davy, belonged, at an early period, to the family of Widworthy; afterwards, successively, to Wogan, Corbett, and Bowerman. The last-mentioned family possessed it for 400 years, and then sold it about the beginning of the last century, to Kerslake, from whom it passed to Mr. Marsh of Wellington: it is now the property of Mr. Henry Pook. Whitehall, formerly the seat of the Bowermans, is now a farm-house.
The manor of Madford, formerly held with that of Hemiock, was sold by Popham to Waldron, who continued to possess it in 1773. It is now the property of John Quicke, Esq.; the lands have been dismembered.
In the parish-church is a monument in memory of Alexander Rayner, M.D., 1746, and his son Edward Rayner, rector of Hemiock, 1775. Lieut. General Popham is patron of the rectory. At Culme Davy is a chapel of ease, at which Divine service is performed every third Sunday, in the afternoon; except on the first Sunday after Christmas, Easter, and Whitsunday, when the sacrament is administered. Before the Reformation, the rector paid a stipend of 3l. per annum to the minister of this chapel.
There was a chantry in the parish-church, founded by Peter Uvedale, the endowment of which was valued at 10l. per annum, in 1547. (fn. n55)
Mrs. Mary Waldron, in 1749, gave the sum of 110l., laid out in land, for charity-schools at Hemiock, and Cley Hidon, which now produces 2l. per annum to each parish. Under the late Church Staunton enclosure act, (in which parish the land belonging to this charity is situated,) five acres have been allotted to the charity in lieu of common, which are valued at 7l. 10s. per annum.
The manor belonged to the baronial family of Cantilupe, whose heiress brought it to West. In the year 1570, it was purchased of West, Earl of Delawar, by the family of Rowe, who were succeeded by Champion. It is now the property of Mr. John Tozer, who acquired it by purchase about the year 1785. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of capital punishment. (fn. n56)
Bearton was the property and residence of the Rowe family for nearly two centuries and a half. Mr. Giles Hussey, the artist, who adopted the theory of drawing his portraits according to musical or harmonic proportion, resided some years at Bearton with his nephew, the late Mr. Rowe; he died there in 1788, and was buried at Broad Hempston. Having succeeded to an ancient family estate in Dorsetshire, he bequeathed it to his nephew, who, in consequence, took the name of Hussey: Bearton is now the property of his widow, and occupied as a farm-house. The church of Broad Hempston was given by William de Cantilupe to the prior and convent of Studley, in Warwickshire, to whom the great tithes were appropriated.
In the year 1618, Robert Gunsley, rector of Titsey in Surrey, gave the parsonage of Broad Hempston, with all lands and tithes thereto belonging, to the towns of Rochester and Maidstone; a moiety of the produce to be distributed, in bread, among the poor of the several parishes of each town.
The manor of Little Hempston, or Hempston Arundell, belonged, so early as the reign of Henry I., to the ancient family of Arundell. In the reign of Henry III., the heiress of this branch of Arundell brought it to Crispin; from whom it passed by successive female heirs to Bradstone, Strech, Cheney, and Willoughby. Robert Willoughby, Lord Brooke, sold it to Edmund Knolles, father of George Knolles, who possessed it when Sir William Pole made his collections. The manor now belongs to the Earl of Darlington and the Earl of Sandwich, as representatives of the late Duke of Bolton. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of capital punishment. (fn. n57) The manor of Battleford, in this parish and Ipplepen, belongs to Mrs. Short of Bickham.
Bokeyt, in this parish, belonged to a family of that name, the heiress of which brought it to Huckmore. It is now the property of Mr. Thomas Whiteway. Gatcomb, a barton, formerly the property and residence of the family of Bogan, was the birth-place of Zachary Bogan (fn. n58), a learned divine, who published "Treatises on the Idioms of Homer and Hesiod, as compared with the Language of Scripture," and some devotional tracts. The heiress of Bogan brought this estate to Nelson: it was purchased of that family by James Charter, Esq., and his devisees sold it to the late Charles Cornish, Esq., by whom the house was rebuilt. It is now the property and residence of his widow.
At the time of the Domesday survey, the manor of Hennock was held by Roger Fitz-Payne, under Baldwin the sheriff: it was, not long afterwards, in the family of Hennock, in which it continued for a few descents, and then passed by successive female heirs to Clist, Tremenet, Dymock, Brittecheston, and Wyvill. By the last-mentioned family it was sold to the Southcotes, who possessed it in the reign of Charles I. Matthew Lee, Esq., was lord of the manors of Hennock and Knighton, in 1773: they were sold by him to Richard Inglett, Esq., of whom they were purchased, in 1775, by James Templer, Esq., father of George Templer, Esq., the present proprietor. The manor of Knighton extends into Bovey Tracey, and that of Bovey Tracey into the parish of Hennock. The manor of South Bovey, in this parish, belongs to Lord Viscount Courtenay.
Philip de Salmonville gave the church of Hennock to the abbey of Torr, in the reign of Richard I. After the Reformation, the rectory, which had been appropriated to that monastery, was vested, together with the advowson of the vicarage, in the family of Washer; from whom they passed successively to Pinsent and Southcote. They were purchased by the Chamber of Exeter, with the sum of 400l., given in 1615 for the endowment of a lectureship in the city of Exeter, by Dr. Lawrence Bodley; aided by 200l., given two years afterwards for the same purpose, by Mr. Thomas Moggridge. (fn. n59) Some time between the middle and the latter end of the seventeenth century, the Chamber appear to have endowed the vicarage with the great tithes, subject to 42l. per annum, paid to the mayor of Exeter, on account of the lecture above mentioned; and 7l. per annum to the lord of the manor. (fn. n60)
The parish-register is of the earliest date. The birth of Edward VI. is thus mentioned in it: — "The eleventh day of October, the year of our Lord God 1537, was borne Prince Edwarde, which was the 29th yeare of our Sovereigne Lord, King Henry VIII., by the grace of God King of England, France, and Ireland. God send him good oldinge, and his father a long and prosperous reigne, Amen. Thomas Herle, vicar of Hennock."
The manor was successively in the families of Moels, Filleigh, Holway, and Cary. It was afterwards in the Walters, whose heiress, in the seventeenth century, brought it in marriage to the ancestor of John Morth Woollcombe, Esq., the present proprietor.
HIGH WEEK, in the hundred of Teignbridge and in the deanery of Moreton, lies about a mile from the town of Newton Bushell, which is in this parish, and about six miles from Ashburton. The village of Houghton also is in this parish.
The manor of Teign-week (to which one moiety of the hundred of Teignbridge (fn. n61) has always been annexed) was given with Newton and Bradley, by King Henry II., to John, son of Lucas, his butler. In the reign of King John, this estate belonged to Eustachius de Courtenay. King Henry III. gave it, in 1246, to Theobald de Englishville, by whom it was conveyed to Robert Bussell, or Bushell, his foster-child and kinsman. The heiress of Bushell brought it, in the reign of Richard II., to the At-yardes, or Yardes. In 1751, it was sold by Gilbert Yarde, Esq., to Thomas Veale, Esq., uncle of the late Thomas Lane, Esq., of Coffleet. It is now the property of the Rev. Richard Lane, (son of Thomas,) who occasionally resides at the ancient mansion of Bradley. The lords of the manor of Teign-week had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. n62)
Mayneburgh, parcel of the manor of Teign-week, was given by John, son of Lucas, before mentioned, to Walter Giffard, to be held by the annual render of a pair of gilt spurs. Walter Giffard gave it to Tor Abbey. After the dissolution, it was purchased by James Gaveroch, who conveyed it to Sir Richard Reynell, with Wolborough and Forde. Having passed by successive female heirs to Waller and Courtenay, it was exchanged for other lands with George Templer, Esq., of Stover.
The manor, or nominal manor, of Moore and Perry, belonged anciently to the Widworthy family; afterwards, successively, to those of Furneaux and Kellaway. Sir William Kellaway sold it to Hurst. In Risdon's time, it belonged to Sir John Pole, Bart.; and is now the property of the Rev. John Templer, who purchased it of the Pole family in 1787.
In the parish-church are some monuments of the Yardes (fn. n63), of Bradley. High Week is a daughter-church to King's Teignton.
A market in the manor of Teign Week, to be held on Tuesday, was granted, in 1246, to Sir Theobald de Englishville. (fn. n64) This market was held at Newton Bushell, but there has not been any market there for many years; the market being held in the adjoining town of Newton Abbot, which hath also an ancient charter. The family of Yarde purchased the market of the adjoining town of Newton Abbot, in the reign of Philip and Mary. The respective rights of the lord of the manor and the burgesses were settled by deed, in the reign of Edward II. William Bushell had a grant, in the year 1308, for two fairs at Bradley; one to be held for four days, at the festival of the Ascension, and the other, for the same period, at the festival of All Saints. (fn. n65) There is a chapel of ease at Newton Bushell, the minister of which is appointed and removable by the vicar of High Week. Sir Thomas Fairfax was quartered with his army at Newton Bushell, on the 24th of January, 1646. (fn. n66)
The manor belonged anciently to the Talbots. In the reign of Edward I. it was in the Coles, who held under the Talbots (fn. n67); and afterwards, successively, in the families of London and Shilston. From the latter it passed by a female heir to Calmady. It is now the property of Mrs. Calmady, of Langdon Hall, in Wembury, the heiress of the last-mentioned family, to whom also the advowson of the rectory belongs.