Magna Britannia: Volume 6, Devonshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1822.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS.
P. xxxix — xlix. There is a difference of 280 between the total number of inhabitants of the county, as given in p. xxxix. and that in the Population Abstract, as printed by the House of Commons. My list is correctly printed from the returns as originally sent in to the office of the clerk of the peace at Exeter (fn. n1); the difference has arisen from some of the returns, which were erroneous, having been sent back to the several parishes to be corrected. The principal corrections were as follows: the number of inhabitants at Dunterton, as printed in the Population Abstract, will be found to be only 126; at Sowton, 339; at Yarnscombe, 463. The difference between 755 and 754 at Wolfardisworthy, may have been accidental; as well as that of 3522 and 3524 at Ottery, and of 8651 and 8631 at Tiverton. The parish of Rousedown containing one house and 14 inhabitants is stated separately in the Population Abstract. Haccombe is also stated separately as containing two houses and 27 inhabitants. It is stated in a note that Blackborough contains 74 inhabitants, included in Kentisbeer.
P. cxcvi. It appears from some papers in the possession of George Drake, Esq., of Ipplepen, descended from one of the daughters of Sir Henry Ford, that he had two sons, Charles and Henry, who were parties to a deed in the year 1685: Charles was living in 1713, and then engaged in a Chancery-suit with some of his brothers-in-law. It is most probable that he died without issue, and that Henry, who is not mentioned in those proceedings, died before him. There was a fourth daughter, who married Edward Scott, Esq.
P. ccxii. I have been favoured with a pedigree of the Risdons, in which no brother of the last Giles Risdon of Bableigh is mentioned: he had a son Giles, who died without issue; and a daughter married, as stated in this page, to Turner. The last Giles Risdon appears to have been descended from William, the fourth son of Giles Risdon, who died in 1678. Giles, the elder son, had a son of the same name, who died without issue, and two daughters, married to Tucker and Jenkins, who left issue. Jane Tucker, the grand-daughter of the former, appears to be the representative of the family, the male issue of which seems to be extinct.
P. 1. John Hoker, who wrote the History of Exeter, drew up a brief survey of the county, the MS. of which was in the Portledge Library. I have not been able to learn what became of this MS., or to procure a sight of any other copy. Sir Henry Northcote, the first baronet, wrote a survey of Devonshire, several times quoted by Fuller, his contemporary. It is not among the papers of his descendant, nor have I been able to ascertain its existence.
WEST ALLINGTON, p. 7. The vicarage was endowed with all small tithes, except the tithe of congers, reserved to the Dean of Salisbury. (fn. n2)
ASHBURTON, p. 13. I was misinformed in some particulars relating to the grammar-school; it was not endowed by Mr. Blundell: he, in conjunction with two others in whom it was then vested, gave the chapel of St. Lawrence to the school. The lands, which are now let at 30l. per annum, were given, as appears by the investigation of the commissioners appointed to inquire into the state of charities by a Mr. Wearing, before the year 1626. The rent of Gould's land is now 23l. per annum. Lawrence Blundell, in 1637, gave an annuity of 4l. to the grammar-school; and 2l. 10s. per annum is paid by the overseers, as from the gift of a Mr. Warren. The master instructs gratuitously all such boys as have applied, and the number has varied from ten to seventeen.
P. 13, 14. It appears by the report of the Commissioners, that Ford's school no longer exists, but that there was due to that institution, from the parish estates, the sum of 134l. 10s. 6d. The English school, now existing, was established as a new foundation by Lord Viscount Middleton, and the Honourable John Harris; the former of whom gave 500l. The estate which constitutes its endowment is at Denbury, and is let now at only 115l. per annum.
Awlescombe, or Awliscombe
AWLESCOMBE, or AWLISCOMBE, p. 20. The village of Wolverstone is generally called Werringstone. The extended value of the manor estate is not estimated at more than about 150l. per annum: the reserved rent received by the chamber of Exeter is only 7l. 8s. 8d. per annum, but there have been some considerable fines on renewals; the sum of 330l. was received in 1784 on a tenement of which the rent is only 9s. There has been no specific appropriation of the profits of this estate. (fn. n3)
P. 21. Mr. John Pring is dead; Ivedon is now the property of Daniel Pring, Esq., captain in the royal navy. The great tithes of Awlescombe are vested in William Drewe, Esq., for charitable uses, and have, since 1756, been applied to the augmentation of the living of Sheldon, and the payment of a schoolmaster at Broad Hembury. They were purchased, in 1715, for the sum of 600l. of Sir Thomas Putt, by F. Drewe, Esq., one of the executors of John Kelland, Esq., who bequeathed the sum of 2000l. for charitable uses, particularly the support of schools, and the augmentation of poor livings. (fn. n4) There is no meeting-house in this parish. The new bridge spoken of in this page is in the village of Weston.
AXMINSTER, p. 23. The manor of Shapwick, within the manor of Axminster, and in a detached part of the parish, was purchased for Newenham abbey of Reginald de Shapwick, with the sum of 60 marks, bequeathed by Reginald de Mohun to Alice his wife for that purpose. (fn. n5) It is now the property of George Rhodes, Esq., of Bellair.
The Strodes of Dorsetshire were the possessors of North Wyke, or North Week, described as a manor, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. (fn. n6)
P. 25. Penelope Saffin's gift was only 100l. The sum laid out was 160l. It does not appear by whom the remainder was given. The schoolroom was built by the parish in 1771. (fn. n7)
AXMOUTH, p. 26. Stedcombe-house was taken by Prince Maurice on the 22d of April, 1644. (fn. n8) The manor of Down Umphraville has lately been purchased by Thomas Northmore, Esq., of Cleve-house, near Exeter.
BAMPTON, p. 28. The October fair was granted in 1258, to the rector of Bampton and his successors, to be held at the chapel of St. Luke without the town of Bampton, and at the festival of that saint, for three days. (fn. n9)
BARNSTAPLE, p. 36. The Golden Lion, in Barnstaple, is said to have been a town-house of the earls of Bath, but I can find no authority for the tradition. The arms of the earls of Bath, and other arms, are in a large room of this house, which has an ornamented ceiling. It was certainly the property and residence of Sir Nicholas Hooper, sergeant-at-law, in the reign of Queen Anne, from whom it passed to the Bassets, and was sold by the late F. Basset, Esq. — P. 37. Gay the poet certainly was born at Barnstaple, or at least baptized there; the register of his baptism, said to have been sought for in vain, was overlooked: it occurs September 16, 1685.
The collegiate foundation was for an arch-priest and four presbyters or fellows. (fn. n10)
The late Mr. C. A. Stothard, elder son of the royal academician of that name, was employed in making a drawing of the interesting window in the chancel when he met with the fatal accident which deprived the world of those eminent professional talents which, united to the most accurate fidelity, had imparted a grace before unknown to antiquarian subjects of this nature. It is but justice to observe, that Mr. R. Stothard, who completed the drawings of his lamented brother, inherits his talents in a high degree, and appears to have very successfully studied his manner. The remains of Mr. Charles Alfred Stothard were interred in the churchyard at Beer-Ferrers, where a monument has been erected to his memory, with an inscription from the pen of his brother-in-law, Mr. Alfred John Kempe, paying a due tribute to his amiable character; stating that he was the eldest surviving son of Thomas Stothard, Esq., R. A.; that he was unfortunately killed by a fall on the 28th of May, 1821, in the 34th year of his age; and adding this deserved tribute to his talents: "As a laborious investigator of the ancient sepulchral monuments (fn. n11), and other historical vestiges of this kingdom, which he illustrated by his faithful and elegant pencil, he was pre-eminent."
BLACKAUTON, p. 54., and Brixham, p. 71. Mr. Hayne, who died in 1821, at the age of 75, has bequeathed his estates to the infant son of his sister, who married J. Seale, Esq., of Mount Boone. Cornelius Hayne, who purchased Fuge, was father of the late Mr. Hayne.
William Wotton, in 1689, gave 10l. per annum, to a godly, orthodox preaching, Protestant minister, to be approved of by his trustees, and their heirs and assigns; and in default of such, to a schoolmaster for teaching the English tongue. This is now paid to the vicar, being 8l. 12s., after payment of the land-tax.
NORTH BOVEY, p. 55. There is a cattle-fair held on the Monday in the next week after Midsummer day. — P. 56. The manor of Shapleigh Helion, in this parish, which, as appears by the name, was formerly in the ancient family of Helion, is now the property of Lord Courtenay.
BRADNINCH, p. 60. The rectorial estates, which belonged to the Sainthills, are vested in Admiral Thomas Pearse, in right of his wife, now the only surviving heiress of that family. The Admiral and Mrs. Pearse occasionally reside in the ancient parsonage-house.
BRIXHAM, p. 72. The apportionment of Mr. Kelly's charity was made by John Upton, his executor and trustee, in 1636; and it was directed that the school should be open to poor children of King's Weare, and Churston Ferrers. The residue of the rent, after paying the other charges, was to be given to a lecturer at St. Saviour's, Dartmouth, for a sermon on a week-day. This had not been claimed for several years, and in consequence, the master of the school was paid an additional 10l. per annum out of this charity, upon the introduction of the Madras system, and the consequent enlargement of the school. The lectureship is now claimed by the curate of St. Saviour. In 1821, there were about 200 children, of both sexes, in the school.
There is an error respecting the charity of Mr. Kelland: that gentleman, by will, (1709) gave the sum of 2000l. for endowing of charity schools, and the augmentation of poor livings, at the discretion of his trustees; in consequence of which, John Fownes, Esq., one of them, appropriated the sum of 490l. to the parish of Brixham, and purchased with it the Combe estate, now let at 42l. per annum, in aid of Kelly's charity. There is now 700l. stock belonging to the charity, arising from the sale of timber on the Combe estate.
BUCKLAND MONACHORUM, p. 83. Buckland abbey-house is at present (March, 1821,) untenanted. The school-house was a benefaction of Lady Modyford. Matthew Elford, Esq., in 1723, gave 100l. for clothing children, and 20l. for bread. It is now 200l. stock; and the whole is applied for clothing children.
ST. BUDOCK, p. 89. Peter Madock Docton, in 1767, gave the sum of 300l. S.S.S., and 100l. Bank stock, to make good an annuity of 10l. given by his father as an endowment of the charity-school of St. Budock. This money having accumulated to 700l., was laid out in lands, now let at 71l. per annum: besides which there is a stock of 375l. John Harris, Esq., in 1725, gave 1l. per annum to the schools. Joanna Knighton's gift, in 1771, was only 1l. per annum. The whole income is now 84l. 5s. per annum There are two schools; one for 12 boys, the other for the same number of girls. The salary of the master is 18l., that of the mistress 9l.; and their house-rent paid. Elizabeth May Docton having given 100l. toward the building a new poor-house, it is intended to convert the present house into a school. (fn. n12)
CALVERLEIGH, p. 94. In the parish-church are monuments of the Southcotes (fn. n13), and of Zachary Cudmore, Esq., 1657.
CLAYHANGER, p. 113. Mrs. Bluett's gift, in 1747, was only 3l. per annum. Mr. Norman having given the sum of 50l. for the same purpose in trust to B. N. Bluett, Esq., the latter, in 1786, made it up 100l. stock, and added 25l. This benefaction is now 150l. stock, producing 4l. 10s. per annum, and making the income of the school 7l. 10s. per annum.
Clist St. Mary
CLOVELLY, p. 121. A most melancholy event happened on the north coast, on the 4th of October, 1821, when, during a tremendous gale, thirty-one fishermen and pilots lost their lives. By this calamitous accident nineteen widows and sixty-one children, belonging to Clovelly, and other places in Bideford bay, were left destitute; and the loss in boats and netting was estimated at 1200l. A sum of money, amounting to nearly 3000l., was promptly raised by the benevolence of the public, a part of which was applied to the immediate relief of the widows and orphans; the sum of 800l. was put under the direction of a committee for providing new and repairing old boats and nets; and 2000l. now remains in the Devonshire savings-bank, for the purpose of granting annuities to the widows, and educating and apprenticing the children.
The almspeople are entitled to small additional allowances, from the dividends of 230l. stock, purchased some years ago with arrears. The houses were rebuilt on a much improved plan, and in a more eligible situation, in consequence of an agreement made in 1810, between Mr. Mallock and the trustees, by which he was to receive the sum of 150l., the sum estimated as necessary to repair the old houses, then much dilapidated. More than double that sum was expended on the new buildings.
COFFINSWELL, p. 125. The manor of Daccombe belonged to Mr. Waldron, founder of the almshouses at Tiverton, who charged it with an annuity of 24l. per annum. Mr. Eastley's moiety was purchased by his grandfather in 1730, when the other moiety was sold in severalties. The purchasers charged some houses in Tiverton with the above annuity, to exonerate this estate; but should the houses so fall in value as to be unequal to the discharge, it would still be liable. (fn. n14)
COLYTON, p. 129. Colyton was formerly a great pitched market for corn. The market was three times a week in the reign of Henry VIII. Calesdown chapel, in this parish, is mentioned in an ancient deed relating to the trust-estates.
It appears from the report of the Commissioners, that the present rental of the lands given for charitable uses is 221l. 10s. 10d. per annum. Lovehayne and Buddleshayes are let for 108l. per annum; the Colyford estate at 40l. per annum; the Hampton estate at 25l. per annum. The estates are vested in feoffees and twenty men, to be nominated by the majority of the parishioners. The feoffees hold the estates to such uses as the twenty men shall direct: there are now four feoffees and six of the last twenty men elected living. The sum of 5l. per annum, for a school, was charged upon the estates generally, in the year 1600.
Comb In Teignhead
P. 136. There was an ancient almshouse in this parish, founded by one of the earls of Bath, but it had no endowment: it is supposed to have been what is now called the Church-house, and which is inhabited by poor families, placed in it by the overseers. Margaret Burgoyne's will bears date 1783.
CORNWORTHY, p. 142. Lady Harris purchased the lands herself, in 1633. They are now let for 25l. 15s. per annum. The school is open to all the poor children of the parish; the boys are taught reading and arithmetic; the girls knitting and sewing.
CREDITON, p. 144. 1.5. For "Queen Elizabeth," read "Henry VIII." — P. 149. John Osborne, a Puritan divine, who wrote on the resurrection, was a native of Crediton. (fn. n15) John Rowe, a Nonconformist divine, who published his father's life, and some sermons and religious tracts, is supposed to have been born about 1627, at this town, which was his father's residence. (fn. n16)
DARTMOUTH, p. 158, 159. John Lovering gave 300l. for building, and 200l. for endowing, an almshouse for 21 superannuated seamen, or seamen's widows, or other poor: 426l. were expended in the building. John Lovering, the son, by his will, 1685, requested that his trustees would lay out the sum of 200l., or 300l., in the purchase of land for endowing this almshouse, but there is no evidence that any such purchase was made, and when burnt down, in 1794, there were no funds for rebuilding the house. William Ley was the founder of an almshouse mentioned in this page: he gave 40l. for the building: it was originally for six poor persons, but has been rebuilt on a larger scale. Half of it is occupied by poor persons placed in it by the overseers of the parish of St. Saviour; the other half by poor of the parishes of St. Petrock and Townstall. Mr. Kelly gave also 20s. per annum to Mr. Street's almshouse. This is supposed to have been an almshouse, now called the Widows' Houses, inhabited by eight or ten poor widows, usually of seamen. It has no other endowment.
In September, 1821, the solicitor of the gentleman who possesses the estate charged with Wotton's gift, acknowledged the right of the charity, and assured the commissioners that the arrears should shortly be discharged.
DENBURY, p. 163. The manor was not inherited from the Reynells, but purchased by Joseph Taylor, Esq., who married the co-heiress of Reynell, of the Russell family. With the assistance of 25l. from the National Society, a school-house has been lately built in this parish; and in future the profits of an estate given for charitable uses (now 23l. per annum) will be appropriated to the school.
EXETER, p. 184. The circumstance of the rebels being brought into the presence of King Henry VII. is confirmed by Hoker's Extracts from the City Records. — P.192. The matrix of the seal granted by King Edward I. to the city has been discovered during the late investigations at the Guildhall: it resembles that of Winchester, engraved for Mr. Milner's history. — P. 195. Among some ancient coins found in the parish of St. Mary Hill, London, in 1774, were, a penny of Harold II., coined by Lifinc; and one of William the Conqueror, coined by Spottinc, at Exeter. (fn. n17)
P. 197. The statute for making a haven at Exeter passed 31 Hen. VIII. The work was first undertaken in the mayoralty of Thomas Prestwood, 36 Henry VIII., and most of the parishes contributed liberally from their church-stock, plate, and jewels, to the amount of nearly 230l.; but little progress appears to have been then made. (fn. n18)
P. 220, 221. To the natives of Exeter, mentioned in these pages, may be added Nicholas Hilliard, the painter, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth (born in 1547); and Charles Hopkins, (son of the Bishop of Derry,) a dramatic writer, born in 1664. Tom Durfey, the celebrated dramatic writer and sonnetteer, is said to have been born at Exeter, in the reign of Charles I.
P. 221—230. In consequence of not having been able to procure, after repeated enquiries, any further information than was to be obtained from printed authorities relating to the Exeter charities, I had unavoidably adopted some errors; and had to lament many deficiencies, not having been able to procure either the present income of hospitals or almshouses, or even the amount of the present allowances to the several pensioners. In some instances, from the complicated state of the accounts of some of the principal charities, it is evident that it would have been attended with much difficulty to have furnished the present real annual income; but there does not appear to have been any reason why information should have been altogether withholden. That there have been at times abuses committed by those who have been in trust, is apparent from the report of the Commissioners; and the utility of their labours, and the wisdom of those who appointed them, cannot be more manifest than by the result of their investigations into the state of the numerous and valuable charities at Exeter, which appear now likely to recover effectually their individual rights, and to be put on such a footing as will ensure, in most instances to the full extent, the intentions of the liberal donors. The complicated and unsettled state of the account between the Chamber of Exeter and some of the principal charities under the trust will render Chancery-suits necessary. Large debts appear due from the Chamber to some of them; but they have put in counter claims, to a considerable amount. The investigation of these matters must have been an Herculean labour. In consequence of a long system of concealment on the part of the Chamber, the printed authorities have been induced to charge them with abuses of which they do not seem to have been guilty, however some of the charities may have suffered occasionally from negligence, or from the culpability of individuals in office. In the last edition of Izacke's Rights and Privileges of the City of Exeter, the observation on Robert Lant's charity is, "what was settled on Bonville's almshouse, sunk by the Chamber, the almshouse having been demolished many years purely by their neglect." How different this is from the fact, will be seen in the following statement, drawn up from the report printed in February, 1822, a copy of which I have just received through the favour of the Commissioners. In the following pages it is intended to correct the errors which the report has enabled me to detect in my account of the several charities, and to supply such deficient information as appears the most important.
Magdalen Almshouse, p. 222. The sum of 2100l. three per cent. was given in 1810 by Mr. Thomas Cooke, to augment the income of the pensioners of the Magdalen almshouse; in consequence of which each pensioner receives in addition 2s. a week, and a donation of 10s. at the end of the year.
Grendon's Almshouses, or the Ten Cells, p. 224. The reserved rent of Alice Heath's lands is only 14l. 17s. per annum: the yearly value of the lands is estimated at 185l. 15s. The fines received since 1803 appear to have been 863l. The Commissioners report that no interest had been paid on the 400l. mentioned in notef of page 224. since 1775, and that the arrears from that time are due. The pensioners receive only the sum of 1l. 8s. 4d., divided among them every fortnight, as it has been ever since 1704; besides 1s. a week each from Lant's charity: which, from the authority before recited, I had supposed to have been misapplied or lost, and of which a further account will be given below. Since 1810 the pensioners of this house have been entitled also to the interest of 1750l. three per cent., given to augment their income by Mr. Thomas Cooke.
Sir William Bonville's Almshouses, p. 224. It appears from the Commissioners' report, that the rents with which these almshouses had been endowed, 21l. 11s. 4d., were received by the crown, and paid to the corporation, till about the year 1700. The payments to the almshouse were 18l. 4s. per annum; the remainder proved insufficient for the repairs of the old house, and ere long it fell down. The houses, &c., on which the rents were charged, then refused to pay them; and it does not appear that they were ever recovered. After this almshouse fell down, a moiety of the rents of Richard Lant's estate, given in 1675 to augment the revenues of Grendon and Bonville's charities, was suffered to accumulate in the hands of the Chamber till it had amounted to a considerable sum; with a part of this it was resolved, in 1763, to build a new almshouse for twelve poor people, to be called Lant's Almshouse, near the north gate. The building cost above 740l., and there is now 1260l. in the hands of the Chamber. Of the existence of this house I had not obtained any notice till I saw the Commissioners' report; nor is it mentioned in any of the printed accounts. The pensioners have received 3s. 6d. a week each since 1817, and a donation of coals. Besides the sum of 1260l. above mentioned, there was belonging to this charity, in 1821, 200l. five per cent., the whole income of Lant's endowment being 160l. 8s. The pensioners placed in the almshouses are generally old and decayed tradesmen, married or single.
Palmer's Almshouses, p. 225. The endowment of these almshouses for poor widows is slender; the reserved rents of the lands amount only to 2l. 13s. 4d., the estimated yearly value being 112l. per annum. The fines received from the beginning of the year 1800 have amounted to 250l. 10s. The widows now receive 2s. a week each. The chamber have appropriated to this charity part of the bellman's rent; and, since 1810, they have been entitled to the interest of 700l., given to augment their income by Mr. Thomas Cooke. The Commissioners recommend that the fines should in future be funded; or that some of the property should be let at rackrent on the failure of lives.
Hurst's Almshouse. Hurst's deed bears date October 13. 1567; the house had then been built. The old almshouse was taken down for the purpose of building the subscription-rooms, mentioned in p. 234. to have been erected in 1820. The new almshouse was built under the inspection of the Chamber, at the expense of the undertakers. The present income of the almshouse is 37l. 15s. 4d., exclusively of their share of the reserved rent of 60l. per annum paid by the proprietor of the rooms, the Chamber claiming a portion of that rent, as not yet defined. The Commissioners state the extended value of the rooms at 270l. per annum; and the collective annual value of the remainder of the endowment at 273l. 19s. 6d. The pensioners have received 2s. 6d. a week each since May, 1821.
Davy's Almshouses. The sum of 16l. per annum was appropriated out of the parsonage of Mary Ansleigh. Some houses in Exeter also belong to it; and, in 1821, there was 232l. 1s. 6d. Navy five per cent.: which, it is probable, had accrued from renewals, the total income being 33l. 6s. 6d. The sum of 7s. 8d. is distributed weekly among the pensioners.
Atwill's Almshouse, p. 226. This almshouse was built somewhat later than here stated, pursuant to a decree of the Court of Chancery in 1771. In 1815, three additional houses were voted to be built by the Chamber, which cost 425l. 7s., paid out of the funds: the expense of the original building does not appear. It is proposed to purchase a garden opposite, of the Chamber, for the purpose of still further increasing the establishment. The original intention of the charity was that of setting the poor on work; and when the houses were first built, looms were provided for the inhabitants: but that has been discontinued since 1771; and the pensioners appointed are decayed, and, for the most part, old woollen manufacturers. They now receive 4s. a week each, and occasional donations of coals. The chief endowment of this charity is an estate at Uffculme, now let at 210l. per annum; on which, since 1796, timber has been cut down to the amount of 1500l. There are other estates, producing about 27l. per annum, and a stock of 242l. three per cents. In 1821, there was a debt due to this charity from the chamber of above 2600l.; but the chamber had a set-off claim on the charity of about 1400l.
St. John's Hospital Schools, p. 227, 228. It appears that no other benefaction was appropriated to the grammar-school besides those mentioned in p. 227.: Sir John Maynard's was for the boys of the Bluecoat Hospital. The grammar-school was founded by the chamber, a few years before the charter granted to the hospital by Charles I., June 2. 1637. Statutes were made for it in 1633, and it was made free to the sons of freemen of Exeter. The master's salary, which was originally 30l. per annum, was raised to 40l., in 1664. There are now two ushers; one of whom must be in holy orders, and the other a graduate in one of the universities. The sum paid for the instruction of day-boys, sons of non-freemen, is limited to six guineas per annum. The master's house was rebuilt in 1776, at the expense of 1700l. Mr. Simon Snow, in 1666, pursuant to the intention of Dr. Vilvaine, who died in 1662, and to whom he was executor, founded four exhibitions for poor scholars of 8l. each, at Exeter college; two from the high school and two from the grammar-school, (now united). Dr. Vilvaine's exhibitions were regularly paid and brought to account for several years after the date of the foundation; but there had not been any exhibitioners on this foundation for many years, till 1819, when three were elected. Dr. Stephens's exhibitions are declared by him to be intended for the sons of the laborious part of the parochial clergy, and of country gentlemen of small fortune; no preference to be given to his own relations, but to be chosen for merit only. The exhibitions may be held for seven years; but an exhibitioner being in holy orders, and taking a curacy, must resign his exhibition after one year; and during that year the amount of the exhibition is to be paid, not in money, but in books of divinity. The exhibitioners are obliged to nine months' residence each of the first four years, and to take a batchelor's degree by the end of the fifth year. They must be natives of Devonshire or Cornwall, or of the city of Exeter, educated at the free grammar-school, and may be of either of the English universities. In 1801, the first exhibitioner was appointed on this foundation; in 1805, there were two at 28l. per annum. Since that time the fund has been considerably augmented for want of candidates, some having refused the exhibitions on account of the length of residence required. The total stock is now 7200l.; the dividends, 216l. per annum. In 1821, there were six exhibitioners of the city of Exeter, and two of the county of Devon.
Sir John Maynard and Elize Stert, as executors of Elize Hele, conveyed to the chamber, as trustees of St. John's Hospital, the manors of Clist St. Lawrence, Clist Gerald, Teign Hervey, and other lands, for the maintenance of so many boys in St. John's Hospital as the rents would support (fn. n20) at the rate of 10l. per annum for each boy: the children to be taught to read, write, and cast accounts; and if any of them should be of more promising parts, a hope was expressed, that means might be found to give them a classical education. Two-thirds of the children to be of Exeter or Plymouth; the remainder of Broad Clist or Bovey, if not nominated by the heirs of the founders. The income of the estates thus conveyed is now 360l. 12s. per annum; of other property belonging to the hospital 299l. 9s., besides some doubtful claims, fines, and other uncertain sources. The fines on Hele's estates, which are considerable, are directed to be disposed of in charitable uses, those appropriated to particular purposes excepted, at the discretion of the heirs of the founders. These are now distributed by the Marchioness of Londonderry, the Earl of Ancram, Viscount Valletort, and Lady Suffield, as heirs general of Sir John Maynard, Mr. Stert having died without issue. The fines received during the years 1818, 1819, and 1820, amounted to 2700l. The timber cut down on the manors of Clist St. Lawrence and Clist Gerald, in 1808, amounted to 2724l. 17s. 6d. There is nothing now received from the considerable pecuniary donations to this hospital mentioned in noteo of p. 229. It appears, that during the time of the commonwealth several purchases were made of church lands, which were given up on the restoration, and the purchase-money is supposed to have been lost. The chamber, in 1694, had 1300l. belonging to the hospital on bond, of which no subsequent trace is found.
Nicholas Martyn's donation was laid out in houses, the reserved rent of which is 14l. per annum; they are valued at 80l. per annum. A fine of 210l. was paid on account of this property in 1814. Dorothy Moggridge, by will 16 Car. I., gave a tenement in Colyton, now 20l. per annum, for the maintenance of three children. Henry Gandy's gift was on condition of two boys of St. Paul's parish being maintained in the hospital; the rent is now only 5l. 5s. per annum. The claim had not been enforced by the parish before 1810.
Richard Crossing's donation, in 1661, (not 1649, as erroneously printed in notem p. 228.) was not for general purposes, but for the support of five boys in the hospital. Only 5l. per annum is now received from Mr. Olivean's donation, mentioned in the note of p. 230. With Dr. Bidgood's donation was purchased by the chamber the estate of Duryards; and it is matter of dispute whether the hospital or the chamber is entitled to the income of that estate, over and above the value of 30l. per annum. It was purchased of the chamber in 1691, and about 1727 came into the possession of the hospital, in consequence of the rents being insufficient to pay the annuity of 30l. charged upon it. The estate is now about 80l. per annum.
Certain rents, amounting to 23l. 19s. 4d. per annum, were purchased with Sir Edward Seaward's donation, (see note. p. 230). In 1773, Robert Lydston Newcombe, Esq., gave three new houses, now let at 120l. per annum, for the support of three boys in the hospital. The master of the Blue School has 26l. per annum, and 16l. per annum for the maintenance and clothing of each boy; caps, and gowns, and bedding, being provided out of the funds of the hospital. The number of boys has varied from 16 to 26, generally from 20 to 23. In 1821, there were 21, of whom 11 were upon Hele's foundation; two on Keate's gift; two on Gandy's, (mentioned in the note, p. 229. and 230.); and one on Newcombe's.
The account of the Blue Maids' Hospital, given in p. 230 from Izacke, is very imperfect. Sir John Maynard and Elize Stert, by their deed of 1658, directed the sum of 1500l. accruing from the fines of his estates in Broad Clist, &c., to be laid out in the purchase of lands for the maidens' hospital. It had been previously endowed by the same parties with Bovey mills; not a rent charged out of them of 50l., as stated on the authority of Izacke. These mills were let for 50l. per annum, in 1658, on a lease of 1000 years; which lease was surrendered to the chamber in 1736, in satisfaction of arrears of rent. They were afterwards let at 68l. per annum, subject to repairs. In 1773, they were rebuilt: in 1801, they were let at 10l. per annum only, in consideration of a fine of 292l. They were originally given for the support of as many children as could be maintained at the rate of 10l. each. It does not appear what became of the 1500l. Simon Snow, before mentioned, in pursuance of the intention of Dr. Vilvaine, to whom he was executor, bequeathed the residue of the public brewhouse, then a valuable property, to this hospital; which bequest was confirmed by his brother Robert. Such was his opinion of the value of this bequest, that he makes provision for the disposal of the residue, after the maintenance of 40 girls; and, in such event, gives 5l. per annum to a school in St. Sidwell. The estate was let, in 1672, for 14 years, at 110l. per annum: it is now let on lives. The present lease was for a rent of 15l. 15s. only, in consideration of a fine of 262l. 10s. It is long since the buildings were used as a brewery: they were very convenient for the woollen manufacture, and have decreased in value in consequence of its declension. Mr. John Lethbridge, in 1701, gave 50l. to the maids' hospital. Mr. Benjamin Gilbert, in 1792, 50l. Mrs. Leach, in 1803, 20l. 18s. 9d. Mr. Foster, 100l. A part of the premises belonging to the hospital is let at 15l. per annum. It appears by the report of the commissioners, that there is due from the chamber to this hospital the sum of 1636l. 19s. 6d., which they recommend to be immediately vested in government securities; and the interest, after paying 32l. per annum to Dr. Vilvaine's exhibitioners, to be applied to the use of the hospital.
In 1672 there were twelve children maintained in the Blue Maids' Hospital. The number has never exceeded thirteen. From 1782 to 1810 it never exceeded six, and sometimes was as low as four. From 1810 to 1814 there were only three. They were then reduced to two, and so continued till 1818, when it was augmented to seven, which was the number in 1821. Of late two girls have been appointed from the parish of St. Mary the More, in consideration of Mr. Keate's gift; but none by Sir John Maynard's heirs, who have a right of nominating one out of three. The mistress has a salary of 10l. per annum, and receives 8l. for the maintenance of each child. In aid of this small allowance, she is permitted to let lodgings and part of the garden.
P. 231. The number of children in the central school, Sept. 29. 1821, was, boys 373, girls 235. In the episcopal Sunday schools, not mentioned in this page, were, at Michaelmas, 1821, 187 boys, and 395 girls.
P. 233. The number of patients admitted into the Devon and Exeter hospital, from Lady-day 1820 to Lady-day 1821, was 895; of outpatients, 306. The subscriptions have increased to nearly 2100l. The principal benefactions since Lady-day 1820, have been a legacy of 300l., from Lady Rolle; 100l. from Mrs. Holmes; 50l. from Robert Tothill, Esq.; and 50l. from Edward Iliff, Esq.
P. 233. From October 1. 1820, to October 1. 1821, 398 patients were admitted into the infirmary for the cure of diseases of the eye. During this period 345 were discharged as cured; in which number are included 15 patients blind from cataract, and two from closed pupil.
GITTISHAM, p. 249. The charity-school is supposed to have been founded by Sir Thomas Putt; but it must have been by a deed in his lifetime, which is not known to exist: the school is not mentioned in his will. (fn. n21)
HALBERTON, p. 251. Richard Were Clarke, Esq., died in 1821, and has been succeeded in his estates by his son, J. Were Clarke, Esq. — P. 253. Mr. Peter Newte, in 1719, in case a charity-school should not be founded within four years from the time of his death, which was not done, gave 4l. per annum towards the endowment of a school at Halberton; to which benefaction this parish is entitled. (fn. n22)
HARBERTON, p. 255. The almshouse here mentioned was erected by Henry Wyse, grandfather of Nicholas Wyse, whose executor, in 1733, settled some lands in Bridgwater for the purpose of keeping them in repair; a rent-charge of 50s. was settled on these almshouses (which were for ten persons) pursuant to a decree in chancery, made 2 William III.
HIGH-WEEK, p. 272. The hospital founded by John Gilbert in the parish of Kings Teignton, is now esteemed to be in the parish of HighWeek, formerly parcel of Kings Teignton. John Gilbert, in his deed of 1538, states, that he had purchased three messuages and two little closes adjoining, by the highway-side near Newton Bushell, and that it was his intention to build a lazar-house, for the reception of a greater number of lazars than the three cottages would contain, with a chapel; the house and the closes to be occupied by the said lazars: he gives the sum of 220 marks to the corporation, on condition that they should pay yearly the sum of 4l. per annum to the lazars in the said house. There were three lazars in 1704. The chapel has been converted into a dwelling-house, and another has been added by one of the Yarde family. The whole are now occupied by poor persons, nominated by the feoffees of the charitylands at High Week. The inhabitants of the four original houses are paid 12s. a year each out of the rent of one of the closes (fn. n23), the other having been converted into gardens for their use: and they receive 1l. per annum each from the chamber of Exeter.
HOLSWORTHY, p.279. The sale of Thorne, mentioned in this page, was the remainder of a term created by William Holland, the fee being vested in Susanna, wife of John Ebbott the elder, and her three sisters. The re-sale was to John Ebbott, the son. Mr. Pearce, who married one of the representatives, has been dead some years, and the property has descended to his daughter, married to Mr. Samuel Cory.
KILMINGTON, p. 302. Coryton was purchased in 1697, of the family of Warren, by William Tucker, Esq. The former mansion, which stood at a small distance, was taken down in 1754. The manor of Kilmington is now the property of William Tucker, Esq., of Coryton, having been purchased by him of the Southcote family in 1802. The manor and estate of Hill passed with the heiress of Haydon to the Fryes of Deer Park, of whom they were purchased by Mr. Tucker's father in 1747.
KINGSBRIDGE, p. 304. The almshouse at this place, which has no endowment, is supposed to have been the benefaction of Robert Midwinter. There were 13 boys in the grammar-school in 1820. The income of Duncombe's charity is only 369l. 2s. 2d., including the dividends on 2330l. 10s. 8d. O. S. S. A. No payment had been made to an exhibitioner before 1816, when an order of Chancery issued, that the annual sum of 50l. should be given to three or more exhibitioners, according as the funds would admit. By the same order the lectureship was augmented to 75l. per annum; 3l. per annum from Mr. Duncombe's charity is to be given by the lecturer in books.
Littleham and Exmouth
LITTLEHAM and EXMOUTH, p. 321. Sir John Elwill's donation to Littleham and Teignmouth was invested, in 1810, in the purchase of 436l. 17s. 7d. 3 per cent. consols; one-third of the dividends, 4l. 7s. 4d., is paid to Littleham, and the remainder, 8l. 14s. 8d. to Teignmouth. Mrs. Hooper, daughter of John Stafford, Peardon's executor, paid 3l. 4s. per annum for the education of children of Exmouth and East Budleigh, which is continued by her sister. (fn. n24)
MERTON, p. 338. Much of the carved oak wainscot and ornaments have been removed from Potheridge-house to Bicton and St. Giles, and put up in the churches of those parishes. A fine oak stair-case remains at Potheridge, with a painted ceiling; and there is a portrait of General Monk.
NIMET TRACEY, alias Bow, p. 364. The principal estates in this parish are Natson and Hampson, belonging to Sir T. B. Lethbridge, Bart; Appledore, belonging to Calmady Pollexfen Hamlyn, Esq.; and Hals, belonging to Mr. Richard Hole.
EAST OGWELL, p. 374. A great part of the village of East Ogwell was burnt down in 1595: the collections procured by two briefs came to sufficient for rebuilding the houses which had been destroyed. (fn. n25) Simon Ford a Latin poet, was born at East Ogwell in 1619.
P. 375. It was Richard Reynell, Esq., who gave the fields mentioned in this page, in 1733, for repairing his burial-place and an almshouse at Grendon in this parish. The almshouse contains two tenements, in which poor persons live rent free. It has no endowment. There are two schools in the parish, supported by the rent of the above-mentioned fields, assisted by donations from P. J. Taylor, Esq.
OTTERTON, p. 375. Richard Martin, Recorder of London, a great linguist and a poet, was born at Otterton about 1570. (fn. n26) His poems and speeches in parliament are in print.
UP-OTTERY, p. 381. Robert Newbury, in 1748, gave 2l. 10s. per annum to the Anabaptist minister; this annuity is now paid by the owner of the land on which it is charged, to the minister of the New House meeting.
PAIGNTON, p. 383. Mr. John Kelland gave 100l., to be laid out in land as stated in this page, and Mr. Charles Kelland, in 1695, the sum of 50l., to be laid out also in land for the apprenticing of children; the sum of 140l., part of these sums, was laid out in the purchase of a piece of land called Holloway's Hill, in Awlescombe, which is leased with other parish lands, and the parish appropriate 4l. per annum to the school, and 2l. per annum towards apprenticing children.
PARKHAM, p. 384. Halsbury was not purchased by the Davies immediately from the Giffards, who sold it to Thomas Benson, Esq., some time M. P. for Barnstaple. This gentleman having been expelled the House of Commons, and obliged to fly his country, his estates were sold under an extent of the crown, and Halsbury was then purchased by the Davies.
PLYMOUTH, p. 391. When James Bourbon, Earl of March, was sent by the French king to the aid of Owen Glendower in Wales, in the year 1400, his fleet was driven by unfavourable winds to Plymouth. Here, leaving his great ships at anchor, he burnt and destroyed several villages; but a tempest arising, twelve of his best ships were sunk in the mouth of the harbour: and the people of the country rising, he escaped with difficulty to the remainder of his fleet. (fn. n27)
P. 400. The Breakwater has answered the most sanguine expectations of its ingenious projector, having afforded complete protection to all the shipping at Plymouth during the dreadful gales of last winter.
P. 404, 405. In the year 1572 the vicarage of Plymouth, being then in arrears for a rent-charge of 8l., which had been payable to the crown since the dissolution of monasteries, the Queen granted the arrears and the said rent-charge to the corporation, on condition that they should find a fit person to fill the cure, and pay 20l. per annum to the master of a grammar-shool. This was confirmed by a charter of Charles II., and by act of parliament. The corporation rent a school-room. There had been no free scholar in the school for many years in 1810, when the master's salary was raised to 50l. per annum, on condition that he should constantly teach two sons of poor freemen. Kellway's gift has no connection with the grammar-school. In my account of this charity I had followed the statement in a modern publication, the accuracy of which I was assured I might rely on. It appears, however, from the report of the commissioners, to be most wide from the fact. It has no other connection with the school than that the head master was made one of the executors in trust, and it is probable that some of the objects of Mr. Kellway's bounty may have been, though not necessarily so, placed at the school: the bank stock was originally 1900l., the dividends of 300l. of which were to be distributed among the testator's relations, at the discretion of his trustees; the remainder to be expended in the education, maintenance, and clothing, of two or more children of his relations, the nearest of kin or most deserving; such maintenance to be continued for boys till 24 years of age, and girls till the same age, or till they should be married. In default of relations, the children of deserving persons of the towns of Plymouth or Saltash to have the benefit of his bequest. The bank stock has accumulated to the sum mentioned in p. 405.; and the dividends applicable to the purpose just mentioned are 443l. 4s. Children of relations have been maintained from the early age of a year after their birth. In 1817 and 1818 advertisements were inserted in the newspapers, inviting claims from relations.
Mrs. Joan Bennet, in 1650, gave certain premises, now producing a rent of 55l. per annum, partly for the purpose of maintaining two scholars at Oxford or Cambridge, being collateral descendants of her husband and herself: there has been no claim for these scholarships since 1799; and there is a considerable balance in the hands of the corporation.
Mr. Elize Hele's settlement of his estates for charitable uses took place in 1632. In 1649 John Maynard and Elize Stert, the surviving executors, having before given the sum of 750l. to be laid out in land, appropriated the manor of Brixton and other estates to the hospital of the poor's portion at Plymouth. In 1656 an estate was purchased by the trustees for the same purposes, for 542l. 18s. In 1658 the said trustees settled the manors of Brixton Reigny, Halwill, and divers houses and lands in the parishes of Shipstor, Yealmton, Plympton, Modbury, Ugborough, &c. &c. &c. on the said hospital. By the schedule of that date it was declared that the profits should be applied to the education, clothing, and maintenance, of as many poor boys as the funds should be sufficient to maintain, at the rate of 10l. each per annum. Two out of three of the children were to be of Plymouth or Exeter; the remainder, if not nominated by the heirs of the founders, to be of the parishes of Brixton, Beer Ferrers, Plympton, or Yealmton. It was directed by the founders, in 1658, that 1800l. of such monies as should accrue from fines, should be laid out in the foundation of a school at Plymton, and 400l. in the purchase of lands of 20l. per annum for the minister of Brixton. After providing these sums, the fines to be disposed of in charitable uses, as they still are by the founders' representatives. Under the provisions of the Workhouse Act of 1708, a moiety of the money then in the chest, and of fines for the time to come, was vested in the governors of the hospital of the poor's portion. The present total amount of the income of Hele's charity is 367l. 2s. 3d. (fn. n28) In 1820 there were eleven boys on this foundation, nine of whom were natives of Plymouth. The master has 50l. (fn. n29) per annum, besides 5s. a week for each boy's diet, &c.: the boys are dressed in blue. By some regulations made in 1821 between the guardians of the poor and the trustees of Hele's charity, the trustees are to allow 20l. for each boy; the guardians to have the sole management, and to nominate the master, subject to the approbation of the trustees. The boys to be appointed by the trustees, two out of three being natives of Plymouth, the remainder to be nominated by the heirs of Sir John Maynard, or in default, by the trustees from the parishes before mentioned.
P. 406. The money left by Lady Rogers was laid out in 1766 in the purchase of 18,735l. 10s. 3d. 3 per cent. consols. This having accumulated, in consequence of the surplus dividends having been funded, the stock was, in 1820, 27,872l. 15s. 4d. 3 per cent., producing a dividend of 836l. 3s. 1d. per annum. The object of the donor's will was the education and maintenance of poor children or other charitable uses, and not restricted to Plymouth. There are now 44 female children of Devon and Cornwall maintained, clothed, and educated till 15, in a house near Plymouth: eleven being appointed by each of the four trustees. The mistress has 100l. per annum, a fourth of the profit of the needle-work, and 3s. a week for the maintenance of each child. I was misinformed as to the number of the children, which was raised from 40 to 44 in 1813.
The fund of the grey school consists of 3114l. 9s. 7d. O. S. S. A., and 1340l. 3 per cent. consols, the dividends being 133l. 12s. 6d. Tenements were purchased for the residence of the master and mistress in 1814, and a school-room has been since built. The master's salary is 50l., that of the mistress 25l.: 100 boys and 60 girls are instructed in this school: for the two last years 20 of each sex have been clothed.
In 1674 John Lanyon founded almshouses for poor people in the parish of Charles, giving 300l. for the building. There were other benefactions towards the building, but they have no endowment. These houses were vested in the corporation under the Workhouse Act of 1708. The income of Jory's almshouse has been as high as 403l. 4s.; it is now 257l. 10s. The widows receive 1l. 10s. per month each.
P. 406. A Sunday-school, and school of industry for girls, called the Household of Faith, was established in 1787 by the Rev. Dr. Hawker, the present vicar of the parish of Charles. It has a funded property of 527l. 7s. 3d. 3 per cents. The school-house was built by subscription in 1798. A legacy of 500l. has been lately left (1819) to this charity. Forty of the girls are clothed. The school is supported by subscription in aid of the fund.
PLYMPTON, p. 410, 411. See p. 605 as to the appropriation of 1800l. for this school. It was not particularly directed to be a grammar-school, but the masters have always been clergymen of the church of England. There is no free scholar on the foundation.
Plympton St. Mary
PLYMPTON ST. MARY, p. 416. The lazar-house appears to have been founded by one of the Courtenay family. There were four female lazars in it in 1641. In 1717 Catherine Cole, the only surviving lazar, conveyed the Maudlin-house and lands to the parish: the parish workhouse has been built on the site. The lands are let at 36l. per annum, which has been applied in aid of the poor's rates, but it has been lately determined to erect a building adjoining the poorhouse for the reception of lunatics or idiots; and in default of such objects, when there shall be an accumulation of rent to the amount of twice the annual rent of the charity-lands, the same to be distributed among decayed persons.
PLYMSTOCK, p. 417. Sir Christopher Harris, before 1617, founded an almshouse at Goosewell, in this parish, and endowed it with a rent-charge of 10l. for five poor people. It is now occupied by four poor people, who receive 40s. per annum each; 40s. being put by annually as a fund for repairs.
P. 417. The income of Mr. Warren's charitable fund was thus appropriated: 23l. to clothe ten boys, 18l. to clothe 10 girls, 12l. for the mistress and for a school-room, and 2l. for books. Mr. Harris gives the use of a room, the mistress therefore enjoys the whole of the 12l. per annum.
RACKENFORD, p. 425. 10s. 6d. per annum is paid for the teaching of one child, arising from the benefaction of 13l. by Thomas Kempe, a blacksmith, now living. The sum of 2l. per annum, given by Mary Ayre for teaching children, has been lost.
SEATON, p. 436. Lady Rolle's foundation was for almshouses and two schools. The almshouses are for 25 poor fishermen, being infirm and above the age of 55, and 20 poor and infirm widows of the same age, to be chosen by the owner of the manor of Beer, and each of them to receive 1s. per week, the dividends of 3900l. being appropriated for that purpose; and those of 3100l. for paying 30l. per annum to the master of the boys' school, and 15l. to the mistress of the girls' school; to provide also books, and stationary, and clothing, not more than 2l. being allowed in a year to a boy, and not more than 1l. 10s. for a girl: all the children to be of the manor of Beer, and from four to ten years of age: to be taught after Dr. Bell's system; the boys, reading, writing, and arithmetic; and the girls, in addition, needle-work and knitting. The almshouses are built and occupied; the schoolhouses are not as yet begun.
SLAPTON, p. 452. John Kelland, Esq., gave 100l., in 1690-1; his son, Charles Kelland, Esq., 50l., in 1694: the former for teaching 20 children, the other for apprenticing one child. These sums were laid out together in the purchase of land, now let at 25l. per annum. Twenty children are taught, but none apprenticed; and it appears that some of the income has been applied to purposes not directed by the donors.
P. 452. The small parish of Sourton, in the hundred of Lifton and deanery of Tavistock, has here been accidentally omitted. There are no villages in the parish or endowed school. A moiety of the manor belongs to Calmady Pollexfen Hamlyn, Esq.; a fourth to John Morth Woollcombe, Esq.; and a fourth to John Newton, Esq., as mortgagee of Woodrow.
STAVERTON, p. 455. Pridhamsleigh is called a manor in the will of Mr. Gould, bearing date 1735. Dr. Baker's benefaction was 10l. per annum, but out of this 2l. per annum was appropriated to the buying of a coat and gown for a poor man and woman, 8l. per annum only for teaching poor children.
STOKE-IN-TEIGNHEAD, p. 462. Mr. Andrews's benefaction was void under the statute of mortmain, but the Rev. Mr. Neck, who inherited the estate, is preparing a deed for the purpose of charging certain lands with an annuity of 8l., of which 1l. 10s. is to be appropriated to the other purposes directed by Mr. Andrews, and the remainder to the instruction of poor children.
TAMERTON FOLIOT, p. 472. Sir Copleston Bampfylde, in 1669, gave a house, garden, and meadow, to four poor widows of this parish, for their residence, and towards their support. The widows are appointed by the Rev. Walter Radcliffe, as owner of Warleigh; the present rent of the meadow is 8l., which is divided among the widows.
Mary Dean endowed the school, in 1734, with an estate called Radge, in the parish of Tavistock, now let at 105l. per annum, for teaching 20 boys. She directed 20l. per annum to be given to the schoolmaster; and allowed 20s. for coals, 20s. for stationary, and the residue for clothes, books, &c. She also afterwards gave by will 480l. to be laid out in lands for this school, which has not yet been done, but is about to be invested. The schoolmaster has now 37l. per annum; and 17 girls were, in 1805, added to the establishment, but they are not clothed. Elizabeth Lady Modyford, by her will, in 1722, directed that all debts due to her should be laid out in lands for Tamerton school; but there is no trace of any purchase in consequence of this bequest.
It appears, that although the town has never been incorporated, the governing officer was called a mayor. Among these papers is the account of Mr. Matthew Cudlipp, who commenced his mayoralty June 24. 1685, in which reference is made to his predecessor in the mayoralty, Mr. Caunter. Among other articles, are the receipts and payments relating to St. Swithin's fair.
It appears that King Edward VI. granted to John, Earl of Bedford, fairs at Tavistock, April 23. and November 28.; that the earl was then entitled to another fair, and that he conveyed the three fairs to trustees for 200 years, with liberty to build a market-house on his land, and that the profits of the fairs were appropriated to the schoolmaster for the time being.
It appears also, that John Batt, prior of the hospital, or lazar-house, of St. Mary Magdalen, and St. Theobald at Tavistock, and the brethren and sisters of that house, in the year 1584, conveyed the hospital, with the chapel and the lands thereto belonging, to John Fitz, Nicholas Glanville, and others, for the term of 1000 years, the rents to be divided quarterly among the lazar people of that house; or in default thereof, among other poor people of Tavistock. This must have been the reason why the sum of 30l. out of the annuity paid by the Duke of Bedford, under the act of 1761, is directed to be divided into portions, and distributed quarterly, among 60 poor persons of Tavistock.
It appears by the papers above mentioned, that in 1570 Robert Charles, of Tavistock, gave to John Fitz and others a rent-charge of 4l., issuing out of his lands at Pillaton, in Cornwall, for the poor people in the almshouse. This must have been what is called Couche's almshouse; and it seems that this rent-charge is still payable, not being affected by the act, which relates only to lands, &c., in the parish of Tavistock. An almshouse in lieu of Couche's, was to be built out of the annuity of 120l. above mentioned, it being in the mean time charged only with the 4l. 4s. per annum, payable to the schoolmaster. The almshouses were built at the expense of 330l. After the building was completed, the sum of 50l. per annum was to be payable out of the annuity for the maintenance of 15 pensioners, and for the repairs of the house : the pensioners have now 3l. per annum each, paid quarterly. They are nominated by the Duke of Bedford, as lord of the manor of Hurdwick. The sum of 15l. per annum of the said annuity is appropriated to apprenticing children; 16s. per annum to the purchase of Bibles; and 20l. per annum for four marriageportions. The hospital of lazars was pulled down, and the workhouse, which by the above-mentioned act is vested in the parish, built on the site.
Among the papers before mentioned is a memorandum, that Sir William Courtenay, in the year 1664, granted a rent-charge for ever to the use of the poor of Tavistock. This, probably, was the endowment of the Courtenay almshouse, which is a rent-charge of 8l. 12s.
P. 477. The ministers who receive the benefit of Mr. Watts's gift are Dissenters: the original nominees were non-conformists: one of them was an eminent divine of that community, Mr. Obadiah Hughes. It was directed by the donor, that as often as any one of these ministers should die, the three survivors should nominate another godly religious person to supply his place.
WEST TEIGNMOUTH, p. 489. It is remarkable, that the French historians should have magnified the burning of this place, which is scarcely known in English history, into an important event. Teignmouth is described as a great port, and the fishing vessels are metamorphosed into frigates and men of war. (fn. n30)
BISHOP'S TEIGNTON, p. 493. Mr. Christopher Coleman, in 1719, gave the sum of 200l., with which, and 157l. 10s., partly the gift of other persons, and partly advanced by the parish, lands were purchased. The said Mr. Coleman gave 50l. to build a school-house, and, in 1729, bequeathed the further sum of 200l. to buy land for the purpose of securing an annuity of 8l. to be appropriated for the repair of the school-house, and when not wanted for that use, to purchase fuel and clothes. It is supposed that the land so charged was given up to the trustees, and was included in the lands now let altogether at 40l. per annum. The whole income is expended in repairing the premises, and clothing and educating the children. In 1821 twenty-one boys and girls were taught at Bishop's Teignton, and 12 in the distant hamlet of Lewton, or Luton. I find no mention in the Commissioners' report of the benefaction of Sir John Lear, mentioned in this page.
TIVERTON, p. 513. 518. Mr. Blundell, the collateral descendant of the founder of Tiverton school, is lately dead. P. 516. — The residue of Mr. Enchmarch's donation, which is 13l. per annum, is now given to the minister of the Steps meeting, who is entitled also to the interest of 180l. 10d. three per cents., given by Mr. John Tristram, in 1778; 29l. per annum from a rent-charge and messuages given by John and Thomas Keene about 1716; 8l. per annum from a benefaction of Eliz. Lichigary, in 1790; and 8l. per annum from a residuary legacy of Fr. Warren, about 1800. Some houses, and a piece of land for a burial-ground, were given to the Baptist minister by Faith Chorlock, in 1810. There is a benefaction also to the Baptist minister, of Richard Hooper, in 1741, which produces about 8l. per annum, from the rent of houses; another of Th. Glass, M. D., which produces 27l. per annum, from the same source; and about 16l. per annum arising from money given by D. A. Munt, in 1783.
P. 517. The estates of Grenwaye's almshouse are now 284l. 3s. 4d. The pensioners' allowances were raised, in 1818, to 5s. a week (with a sack of coals at Christmas); and it is intended, when the estate is out of debt, to double their number. The manor of Daccomb is in the parish of Coffinswell. George Slee's son charged the rectory of Coldridge with 20l. per annum, for the endowment of the almshouse founded by his father at Tiverton: 5s. is allowed to the person who brings the annuity. There was an almshouse at Tiverton, founded in 1696 by John Alstone, for six poor fullers. The land purchased for its endowment was let at 20l. per annum. In consequence of the concealment of a previous settlement on his family by the vendor, this estate was some years ago claimed by his descendants, and their legal right appeared so clear that it was given up by the trustees, and the endowment appears to be now irrecoverably lost. (fn. n31)
P. 518. The school-income, in 1820, was 650l. 18s. 1d., including 219l. 7s. 2d. dividends on stock. Richard Down, Esq., in 1806, gave 700l. three per cent. consols, for an exhibition from this school at Oxford or Cambridge, for three years.
P. 519. The rent-charge, which is misprinted 78l. in Dunsford's History of Tiverton, as well as in this page, was 90l. per annum. Gilberd's benefaction was 300l., laid out in 1792 in the purchase of 332l. 7s. 11d. three per cent consols. There is a further sum of 100l. three per cents., which has arisen from savings. The total rental of the lands belonging to the other charity-school in this page is correct, but the particulars of Newte's and Tristram's lands erroneous. The present rent of Tristram's is 31l. 10s.; that of Newte's 80l. The donation of the Rev. John Newte to the charity school at Cove was the eighth part of a tenement now let at 31l. 10s., which produces, therefore, nearly 4l. per annum. Mr. Peter Newte, in 1719, gave the eighth of another estate, which now lets at 80l. per annum, to the village-schools. The charity receives only 5l. per annum from this benefaction, which is paid to a schoolmistress at Chevithorn.
TOR MOHUN, p. 525. A monument was lately erected in the church, in memory of Edmund and Eliza, son and daughter of Robert Peel, Esq., of Tor Abbey, who died in 1821, at the respective ages of 20 and 16.
TOTNES, p. 535. Richard Lee, in 1619, gave 100l., to be laid out in lands for the benefit of a resident preacher; it is not certain what land was purchased with this gift. Mr. Christopher Maynard gave a messuage called the Prest-house, and Mr. Christopher Wise the sum of 50l., to be laid out in land towards the maintenance of a lecturer. There is no lecturer at Totnes, nor is it certainly known what tenement was meant by the Prest-house, nor what lands were purchased with Mr. Wise's gift.
P. 536. The rent of the grammar-school land is now 70l. per annum; a school-room is provided by the corporation, but there is no house for the master. The charity-school existed before 1734, when Mr. Charles Taylor charged a house with 40s. per annum towards its endowment: this house is the residence of the master and mistress. The land produces now 38l. 10s. per annum, and it has a rent-charge of 20s., supposed to have been given also by Mr. John Philips.
Walter Dowse's gift to the Magdalen consisted of a tenement and garden. In 1617 there were six poor in this hospital, who had 4s. 6d. a week distributed among them. The vicar then read prayers in the chapel. In 1633 Richard Kelly gave a rent-charge of 20s. per annum to this hospital. The hospital lands are now let at 14l. 2s. 3d. per annum.
Samuel Rodd, in 1654, founded an almshouse for six poor men, and gave a messuage for its repairs, the residue of rent to be expended in clothing. This is supposed to be now the parish work-house. John Norris gave by will, in 1589, 100l. for building an almshouse, and 150l. for its endowment. It was built for two poor persons. Luke Short gave 40l. for building houses for the poor: it is supposed that these were attached to Norris's, which has been enlarged by additional tenements; poor persons are placed in them by the corporation.
UFFCULME, p. 541. The sum given for the building and endowing of the school was 1200l., of which 400l. was expended for the purchase of the site and building the house. In 1819, the stock consisted of 1551l. 2s. 9d. three per cent. reduced. Four boys are to be taught gratis; two of Uffculme, and two of Burlescombe or Holcombe Rogus; but there have been few applications from those parishes.
WALKHAMPTON, p. 546. The present rent of Lady Modyford's lands is 161l. 12s. 4d. per annum. There is 700l. in the hands of Sir M. Lopes, who pays no interest for it; and about 457l. in the hands of Mr. Giles, the receiver. Lady Modyford directed, that the schoolmaster should have a salary of 17l. per annum: 20 boys to be educated, and nominated by the owner of Marystow: 1l. per annum was allowed for fuel, 2l. per annum for Prayer-books, &c.: every boy, at the end of four years, was to have a Bible, the surplus to be given to them in clothing. There was some allowance, also, out of the surplus, for apprenticing boys, and for paying the houserent of poor women of Tamerton Foliot and other neighbouring parishes. The school-boys to be of Walkhampton, and deficiencies to be supplied from Buckland Monachorum, or Shipstor. The master has now a salary of 40l. per annum, and 5l. allowed for slates, &c. The boys were increased from 20 to 30, in 1785. There are now 30 boys and 10 girls: the mistress has a salary of 10l. per annum. The boys are taught reading, writing, and arithmetic; the girls reading, writing, needle-work, and knitting. Upon deficiencies in the above-mentioned parishes, children are now admitted from Meavy and Sampford Spiney. The affairs of this charity are in Chancery.
WEMBURY, p. 550. Josias Calmady, Esq., in 1682, gave 500l., to be laid out in land, for the curate of Wembury, under certain regulations. There being some doubt about the investment, Mrs. Calmady, the representative of the donor, pays 20l. per annum; which sum appears to have been paid for more than a century.
P. 551. l. 1. for "Exeter," read "Windsor." Sir Warwick Hele built an almshouse in this parish for ten poor people, with a chapel in the centre, and by his will, in 1625, gave them 3l. a piece yearly, charged on estates at Holbeton, &c. There is no restriction as to sex, but the persons now appointed are poor old women: one house is kept vacant, and the allowance reserved for repairs, for which there was no provision. There is no service performed in the chapel.
WOLBOROUGH, p. 567. Sir William Waller, in his "Recollections," says, "My endeavour to supplant Mr. Yarde in his possession of the market of Newton Abbot, though upon a dormant title, yet proceeding from a covetous end, was justly punished by the loss of the thing sued for, and in all that befell me in the King's Bench." Mr. Yarde's market was at Newton Bushell. Sir William Waller's claim was under a grant for a market at Newton Abbot, to the Abbey of Tor. Sir William Waller rebuilt the market-house at Newton Abbot at his own expence in 1684, as appears by the parish papers.
P. 568. Lady Reynell, by her deed bearing date 1640, gave a close of ground, several messuages in Newton Abbot, and an estate at Paignton, for the purpose of paying 5l. per annum each, to the four widows in the houses of her foundation, and providing for their maintenance in sickness; and for the repair of the houses. The remainder, the trustees are most solemnly enjoined to appropriate to such charitable uses, as they may think consonant to the donor's intention. The estate at Paignton is now let for 63l. 10s. per annum; the close for 5l. per annum; but the messuages are in the hands of Lord Courtenay's lessee. A bill in chancery is now pending for the purpose of recovering them for the charity, and it is hoped that the trustees will be enabled to make an allowance of 15l. per annum to each of four widows, besides maintenance in sickness.
FURTHER ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS.
EXETER, p. 178. The plan of the city facing this page is copied from that in Braun's Civitates Orbis terrarum, which bears date 1618. — P. 221. It is probable that I was misinformed as to Joanna Southcott having been a native of Exeter. An anonymous pamphlet published in 1814 asserts that she was born at Gittisham in the month of April, and baptised at St. Mary Ottery, June 6, 1750. The latter is confirmed by an extract from the Register printed in Dr. Reece's pamphlet, published in 1815.