Magna Britannia: Volume 6, Devonshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1822.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CADBURY, in the deanery of that name, and in the hundred of Hayridge, lies about six miles from Crediton; about the same distance from Tiverton, and about eight from Exeter. There is a small hamlet in this parish called Chapel-Town.
The manor passed by marriage from Champernowne to Bottreaux. The latter were succeeded by the Luttrells. It has been for a considerable time in the family of Fursdon, of Fursdon in this parish, now the seat of George Sydenham Fursdon, Esq., whose ancestors have been settled there ever since the reign of Henry III., and probably from an earlier period.
Mr. Fursdon is impropriator of the great tithes which belonged to the priory of St. Nicholas, in Exeter. The vicarage, which is in the gift of the crown, is endowed with a portion of the great tithes.
One of the almsmen in Burrough's alms-house at Broadclist, founded in 1603, is to be a parishioner of Cadbury.
An ancient earthwork, called Cadbury Castle, is in this parish. This was the place of rendezvous of Sir Thomas Fairfax's army on the 26th of December, 1645. (fn. n1)
Cadeleigh or Cadleigh
CADELEIGH or CADLEIGH, in the hundred of Hayridge and in the deanery of Cadbury, lies about four miles and a half from Tiverton, and about eight from Crediton; Welltown and Little Silver are villages in this parish.
The manor at an early period was in the family of Chievre (fn. n2), afterwards in the Mohuns of Dunster, as parcel of the barony of Dunster; from them it passed to Courtenay Earl of Devon. Sir Anthony Kingston, the Provost Marshal, who defeated the rebels in the reign of Edward VI., having married the widow of Sir William Courtenay, who had this manor in dower held it in her right, and resided at Cadleigh. Sir William Courtenay of Powderham, great grandson of the last mentioned Sir William, sold it to Sir John Horton, of whom it was purchased by Sir Simon Leach, about the year 1600. It continued in the family of Leach till the death of Sir Simon Leach, K. B., in 1708, when it passed, in consequence of a reversionary sale made by him, to John Doble, Esq. Mr. Doble bequeathed it to a cousin of the name of Hartnoll. The heiress of John Hartnoll, Esq., married John Russell Moore, Esq., father of John Hartnoll Moore, Esq., the present proprietor, who is patron also of the rectory. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. n3)
In the parish church are monuments of the family of Leach (fn. n4), and James Battie, Gent. 1669.
CALVERLEIGH, in the hundred and deanery of Tiverton, lies a little more than two miles from Tiverton, on the road to South Molton.
The manor, anciently called Calodelie, Kawoodly, or Kalwoodley, sometimes Calwoodleigh, was in a family of that name (fn. n5) in the reign of Henry II. After a continuance of fourteen generations, the heiress married Roger Arundell, younger brother of Sir John Arundell, who succeeded to the Lanherne estate in 1494; the issue of this marriage appears to have been an only daughter, married to Pether. Calverleigh was afterwards in a younger branch of the Southcotes of Indiho. In 1711 it was the property of Elizabeth, relict of Sir Henry Fane, and heiress of Thomas Southcote, Esq. of Exeter. After the death of her grandson, Charles Viscount Fane, of the kingdom of Ireland, it was sold to Joseph Nagle, Esq., under whose will it is the property of Charles Chichester, Esq., now of Calverleigh, who is patron of the rectory.
In the parish church are monuments of Mary, daughter of Southcote, widow of William Colman, Esq., of Tiverton, 1636; Ann, daughter of George Throckmorton, Esq., of Weston Underwood, in Buckinghamshire, 1783; David Nagle, Esq., 1800; and Joseph Nagle, Esq., 1813.
Abbots Carswell or Kerswell
ABBOTS CARSWELL or KERSWELL, in the hundred of Haytor, and in the deanery of Ipplepen, lies about two miles from Newton Abbot.
The manor, which belonged formerly to the abbot of Tor, was afterwards in the Stawell family. It was purchased of Sir William Stawell by Mr. Wotton; three-fourths of this manor now belong to George Ley, Esq., of Cockington; the remaining fourth to Mr. William Codnor.
The manor of Aller, formerly called Over Aller or Branscombes Aller, belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the family of Bagtor. At a later period it was successively in the families of Branscombe, Scobhull, and Speccot. The last mentioned family possessed it in the reign of Charles I. After this it was about 150 years in the family of Bealy, of whom it was purchased, about 1790, by George Baker, Esq., father of the Rev. George Baker, to whom it will devolve after the death of his mother, as well as the court barton, which was purchased of Mr. Tucket, a Quaker. Mr. Tucket reserved out of this property a burying-ground for the people of his persuasion. The great tithes are appropriated to the vicar of Cornworthy: the vicarage is in the gift of the crown.
KING'S CARSWELL, in the hundred of Haytor, and in the deanery of Ipplepen, lies about three miles from Newton Abbot. North and South Whilborough are villages in this parish.
The manor was in the crown at the time of taking the Domesday survey. Soon afterwards it was the property of John Le Droun, who was succeeded by his son Hamelin de Draiford; on the death of the latter it escheated to the crown, and was granted, by King Henry II., to the Countess Dionisia, who died at Egg-Buckland, in the reign of King John, without issue. The King granted it to Henry Fitz Count (fn. n6); and on his death, also without issue, King Henry III. granted it to Nicholas Lord Mules (fn. n7), from whose family it passed, by successive heirs female, to Courtenay and Dinham. It remained for some time in severalties among the representatives of the latter: in Sir William Pole's time, one-fourth belonged to Mr. Smyth, whose great grandfather, Sir George Smyth, had acquired it by purchase. Sir Thomas Putt, Bart., died seised of a moiety of the manor in 1686. In 1710, the whole was vested in Sir Henry Langford, and passed by his devise to Thomas Brown, Esq., grandfather of the late Henry Langford Brown, Esq. It is now for life the property of his widow, and the reversion is vested in his brother Thomas Langford Brown, Esq.
The manor of South Whilborough belongs to the Rev. Jacob Ley, rector of Ashprington, whose father purchased it, in 1773, of John Henry Southcote, Esq. The barton of North Whilborough belongs to Sir Walter Yea of Somersetshire: it was purchased, about 1770, of the Narramores of Payngton.
The barton of Odicknoll belonged to a family of the name of Lethbridge, by whom it was sold to Sir John Duntze, Bart. It is now the property of Mr. Thomas Wills, whose father purchased it of Sir John Duntze. The manor of Edginswell is partly in this parish and partly in St. Mary-Church.
In the parish church are some ancient monuments of the Dinhams without inscriptions.
The dean and chapter of Exeter are appropriators of the tithes, and patrons of the benefice, King's Carswell being a daughter-church to St. Mary-Church. The Presbyterians have a meeting-house at King's Carswell. The Rev. Aaron Neck has built a school-house in this parish, in which 60 children are clothed and educated. Mrs. Brown allows 20l. per annum towards the expenses, the remainder of which is defrayed chiefly by Mr. Neck.
CHAGFORD, in the hundred of Wonford, and in the deanery of Dunsford, is a small market-town, about 3½ miles from Moreton Hampstead, 15½ from Exeter, and 189 from London. I find no record of the charter for a market at this place. There is still a market on Saturday for butchers' meat, vegetables, and earthen ware; and there are cattle-fairs on the last Thursday in March, the first Thursday in May, the last Thursday in September, and the last Thursday in October. (fn. n8) In 1801, the number of inhabitants in this parish was 1115; in 1811, 1197. Chagford was made one of the Stannary towns in 1328. (fn. n9) In 1618, the steward and nine other persons were killed by the falling of the court-house. Easton, Great Week, Westcot, Teigncombe, Stinial, and Middlecote, are villages in this parish.
In the month of February, 1643, Sir John Berkeley attacked and dispersed some forces of the parliament, then quartered at Chagford; and in the action fell the accomplished Sidney Godolphin, esteemed one of the most eminent poets of his time (fn. n10), leaving the misfortune of his death, as Lord Clarendon observes, upon a place which could never otherwise have had a mention in the world: he was buried at Oakhampton.
The manor of Chagford belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to Sir Hugh de Chagford. Simon de Wibbery succeeded the grandson of Sir Hugh. The family of Wibbery possessed this manor for seven generations; after which it passed, by successive female heirs, to Gorges, Bonville, and Coplestone. Sir John Whyddon, one of the justices of the King's Bench, purchased it of the latter in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The Whyddons possessed this manor for several descents; after which it was in the Northmores. From the Seymours, who purchased it of Northmore, it passed by marriage to Bayley. Two-thirds of this manor are now the property of John Coniam, Esq.; the remaining third, of John Rowe Southmead, Esq. Whyddon-house is occupied by Edward Seymour Bayley, Esq., captain in the Royal Navy. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. n11) Whyddon park, in which was formerly the seat of the Whyddons, is in the parish of Moreton Hampstead. It abounds in beautiful scenery. The manor of Cotterew, in this parish, is held in like proportions by Mr. Coniam and Mr. Southmead.
In this parish, also, are Prince's manor, belonging to the duchy of Cornwall; and the manor of Shapleigh (fn. n12), some time in the Northmores, lately in Warren, and now belonging to Mr. Maunder of Exeter. The manor of Rushford, partly in Chagford, belonged, a century ago, to the Northmores, now to Mr. John Hooper of South Teign. Rushford, the ancient seat of the Hoares, was sold by that family to the late Mr. Fellowes, and is now the property of the Hon. Newton Fellowes.
Holy Street, in this parish, belonged to the Rowes, from whom it passed, by marriage, to Southmead. It is now the property and residence of John Rowe Southmead, Esq. A branch of the ancient family of Prous or Prouz had, for many generations, a seat in this parish called Way, now the property and residence of John Coniam, Esq.
In the parish church are the monuments of Sir John Whyddon before mentioned, who died in 1575, and John Prouz, Esq., the last of that family, who died in 1664. The Rev. George Garrard Hayter is patron of the rectory.
There are remains of ancient chapels at Great Weeke or Wyke St. Mary, and at Teigncombe. There was formerly a chapel at Rushford.
In 1790, John Weekes, mariner, gave 200l. 4 per cents. for teaching poor children of this parish: there is no other endowment for a school.
Challacombe or Chollacombe
CHALLACOMBE or CHOLLACOMBE, in the hundred and deanery of Shirwell, lies near the forest of Exmoor, on the borders of Somersetshire, about eleven miles from Barnstaple.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry II., to the family of Ralegh, whose heiress brought it to the Chichesters. Having been purchased of that family by Hugh Fortescue, Lord Clinton, it is now the property of his descendant, Earl Fortescue, who is patron of the rectory.
William Partridge, in 1758, gave 50l., half for teaching poor children, and half for the poor. A part of this benefaction having been lost, it now produces only 12s. per annum for each purpose.
CHARLES, in the hundred and deanery of Shirwell, anciently called Charneys, lies about six miles from South Molton.
The manor belonged, at an early period, to the Punchardons, and passed, by marriage, to Ralegh, a branch of which family some time resided here. The lords of the manor had the power of life and death. (fn. n13) We cannot learn that there is now any manor in this parish. The barton, which had been in the family of Gould, is now the property of Mr. George Gould Moggridge.
In the parish church are memorials of the Gregory family, patrons of the rectory, 1669—1719. The Rev. John Blackmore is the present patron and incumbent.
Little Bray, the seat of Thomas Palmer Acland, Esq., is in this parish.
CHARLETON, in the hundred of Coleridge, and in the deanery of Woodleigh, lies about two miles from Kingsbridge. The villages of Goveton and Lidstone are in this parish, and part of Frogmore. Charleton is divided into East and West Charleton.
The manor belonged, in ancient times, successively to the families of Seymour, Brecely, and Bickley. The Earl of Morley is the present proprietor and patron of the rectory. The manor of Goveton, which belonged to the family of Southcote, is now the property of Mr. Edward Ashweek Valentine; the manor of Frogmore belongs to Sir Edward Bayntun Sandys, Bart., of Miserden park, in Gloucestershire.
CHAWLEIGH, in the hundred of North Tawton and in the deanery of Chulmleigh, lies about two miles from Chulmleigh. There are cattle-fairs at Chawleigh on the 6th of May and the 11th of December. Risdon says that Chawleigh was inherited from the barons of Oakhampton by the Courtenays, Earls of Devon. (fn. n14) It was afterwards in the Irish branch of the Chichesters, and has passed with Eggesford to the Hon. Newton Fellowes, who is the present proprietor, and patron of the rectory. Mr. Fellowes possesses also Cheinstone, in this parish, for many descents the property and residence of the Radfords, for some of whom there are memorials in the parish church. (fn. n15) There was formerly a chapel at Chienstone. There is no endowed charity-school in this parish: a school is supported by an annual benefaction from the Hon. Newton Fellowes, and by subscription.
CHELDON, in the hundred of Witheredge, and in the deanery of South Molton, lies about four miles from Chulmleigh.
The manor belonged, for several descents, to the family of Kaleway. Sir William Kaleway sold it to the Stucleys before 1600: it was afterwards in the Chichesters. About the year 1718 Cheldon was purchased of Arthur St. Leger, Viscount Doneraile, (who had inherited from Arthur Chichester, Earl of Donegal,) by William Fellowes, Esq., and is now the property of the Hon. Newton Fellowes.
East Cheldon was held under the Kaleways by the family of De Cheldon for several descents; it was afterwards a seat of the Southcombes. In the reign of James I. it belonged to the family of Chase: it is now, by a late purchase, the property of the Hon. Newton Fellowes, who is patron of the rectory.
Cheriton Bishop, or South Cheriton
CHERITON BISHOP, or SOUTH CHERITON, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of Dunsford, lies about six miles from Crediton, and about the same distance from Moreton Hampstead. Part of Crockernwell, on the road from Oakhampton to Exeter, is in this parish, the remainder in that of Drew's Teignton.
The manor belonged anciently to the bishops of Exeter, who had considerable landed property in the parish, till alienated by Bishop Voysey, in the reign of Henry VIII. The bishop is still patron of the rectory.
The manor of Eggbeare belonged, in the reign of Edward I., to the family of Kelly (fn. n16), afterwards to the Fulford family, and is now the property of Baldwin Fulford, Esq.
The manor of Lampford, which is said by Risdon to have been the chief manor, belonged, in the reign of Edward I., to the Speccots (fn. n17), afterwards to the Fulfords; it has since been dismembered. The lord of this manor had the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. n18)
The manor of Medland was held, in 1274, by Henry de Stanewe, under the abbey of Tewkesbury. (fn. n19) After the Reformation, it was for several generations the property and seat of a younger branch of the family of Davie, who spelt their names Davy. Andrew Davy, Esq., the last of this branch, who died in 1722, bequeathed Medland to the family of Foulkes. The house was rebuilt, and the place much improved, by the late John Davy Foulkes, Esq., since whose death the estate has been sold in parcels. The manor-house, and a considerable part of the land, were purchased by the present proprietor, Mr. Charles Lambert Gorwin. Coxland, formerly the seat of a younger branch of Delves (fn. n20) of Cheshire, is now the property of John Newcombe, Esq.
In the parish church are monuments of the Davy family. (fn. n21) There were formerly chapels at Crokernwell and Eggbeare, of which there are no remains.
CHERITON-FITZPAINE, in the hundred of West-Budleigh and in the deanery of Cadbury, lies about eight miles from Tiverton, and about nine from Exeter. Stockleigh is the principal village in this parish.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the family of Stanton, from which it passed, by successive female heirs, to those of Fitzpaine, Anstill, and Kelly. After this it was divided into moieties, and passed, by purchase, to the Harris's of Hayne; and the family of Hayes. The whole manor now belongs to William Arundell Harris, Esq., and the barton of Cheriton to the Rev. John Hole.
The manor of Stockleigh Lucombe, in this parish, belonged to the ancient family of Lucombe, and afterwards successively to St. Amand and Arundell of Trerice. After the death of the last Lord Arundell of that place, this estate passed, by settlement, to the Wentworth family; it is now the property of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, Bart.
The manor of Upcott belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the Upcotts, afterwards to the Radfords: in the reign of Henry VIII. it was in the Courtenays. A younger branch of that family settled at Upcott, which passed with its heiress to Moore of Tavistock. The Upcott estate is now the property of G. S. Fursdon, Esq., by purchase from Basset. The barton of Coombes is the property of Mr. — Norrish.
In the parish church is the monument of John Moore, Esq., 1700. Mr. Harris is patron of the rectory. Andrew Scutt founded an alms-house at this place, in 1594, for six poor people, and endowed it with a house in Exeter, now let at 22l. per annum. There is no endowment for a school in this parish, except the sum of 6l. given in 1736, the interest of which being inadequate to its intended purpose, has of late years been suffered to accumulate.
Chettlehampton, or Chittlehampton
CHETTLEHAMPTON, or CHITTLEHAMPTON, in the hundred of South Molton, and in the deanery of Barnstaple, lies about four miles from South Molton, and about nine from Barnstaple. The small hamlets of Ambow, Bidicot, Stowford, Newton, Head, and Chittleham Holt, are in this parish. There is some beautiful scenery on the banks of the Taw, particularly at Head Wood.
The manor, which had been parcel of the ancient demesnes of the crown, is said to have been given by William the Conqueror to Robert Fitzhamon, whose heiress married the first Earl of Gloucester: from him it (fn. n22) passed through the Spencers to the Earls of Warwick. It was afterwards successively in the families of Daubeny, Earl of Bridgwater, Pollard, and Venner. It now belongs to the Right Honourable Lord Rolle, in whose family it has been for nearly a century. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. n23)
Brightley in this parish belonged to a younger branch of the Fitzwarrens, which, settling here in the reign of Henry II., took the name of Brightley. After eight descents, the heiress of Brightley married John Cobleigh, whose grand-daughter brought Brightley to a younger branch of the Giffards of Halsbury. It was for several descents the seat of this family. Lord Rolle is the present proprietor of this estate, and of the barton of Head in this parish, which belonged to the family of Atkins. Brightley park has been converted into tillage: what remains of the old mansion has been converted into a farm-house; the walls of the ancient chapel are still standing.
Hudscot, formerly belonging to the Venners, is supposed to have passed by marriage to Lovering, whose heiress brought it to Samuel Rolle, Esq. His son, of the same name, and the last of this branch, who died in March, 1746–7, left his estates in Chittlehampton to his cousin Dennis Rolle, Esq., father of the present Lord Rolle. His Lordship's sisters reside at Hudscot, in which they have a life-interest under their father's will.
The manor of Chittleham-holt, which formerly belonged to the Pollards, was afterwards in the family of Bridges, whose heiress brought it to Hughes. The late Bridges Hughes, Esq., barrister at law, sold it to John Wilcocks, Esq.; it is now, by purchase, the property of Mr. John Brown.
Hawkridge, in this parish, belonged to a family of that name, whose heiress brought it to Acland. It was for many years the seat of a younger branch of the Aclands: John Acland, the representative of this branch, was a merchant at Exeter. Hawkridge was afterwards in moieties between the families of Yeo and Chichester: the moiety which belonged to the latter was purchased about 1785 by the Yeos, of Charles Chichester, Esq. of Bath. This estate has lately been sold by Mrs. Yeo of Clifton, near Bristol, to Mr. — Owen of Dolton.
In the parish church, which is a handsome Gothic structure, with a fine tower, are some ancient memorials of the Cobleigh family (fn. n24), and monuments of the families of Giffard (fn. n25) Rolle (fn. n26), and Yeo. (fn. n27) The church is dedicated to St. Hieritha, who is said to have been here interred. Lord Rolle is impropriator of the great tithes which had been given by Robert FitzHamon to Tewksbury Abbey, and is patron of the vicarage.
There is no endowed school in the parish; but there are large Sunday-schools, and two daily schools, one for boys, and the other for girls, at Chittlehampton, supported by subscription, besides others in the hamlets.
CHIVELSTONE in the hundred of Coleridge, and in the deanery of Woodleigh, lies about five miles from Kingsbridge. South-Allington, and Ford; and South Prawle, on the sea-coast, are villages in this parish.
The manor was anciently in the Scobhulls, and passed by marriage to Speccot. It is now the property of Lydstone Newman, Esq., by purchase from Peter Ilbert, Esq. The manor of Kellaton, which had been some time in the family of Savery, is now the property of Mrs. Dorothy Savery Webster, wife of the Rev. James Webster of Meppershall in Bedfordshire, niece of the late Samuel Savery, Esq.
Chivelstone is a daughter-church to Stokenham, and included in the same presentation. At Ford is, or was lately, an ancient meeting-house of the Dissenters.
CHRISTOW in the hundred of Wonford, and in the deanery of Dunsford, lies about seven miles from Exeter, and about five from Chudleigh.
The manor belonged to the abbey of Bec, in Normandy. (fn. n28) After the dissolution it was granted to John Lord Russell, in whose family it continued some descents. It has long been held with that of Canon-Teign.
The manor of Canon-Teign belonged to the abbot and convent of de la Valle, in the diocese of Evreux, in Normandy, by whom it was conveyed, in or about the year 1268, to the prior and convent of Merton, in Surrey. After the Reformation, it was granted to John Lord Russell, and was alienated by him to John Berry, Esq., who, having been engaged in the rebellion of 1549, was taken prisoner, carried to London, and executed for treason. (fn. n29) This estate was granted to William Gibbs, (fn. n30) Esq. In the following century it was in the family of Gibbon, whose heiress is supposed to have brought it to Davy. Dr. Davy, the last of the CanonTeign branch, died in 1692. This estate passed by the foreclosure of a mortgage to the Helyar family, who some time resided at Canon-Teign. The manors of Canon-Teign and Christow were sold in 1812 by the late William Helyar, Esq., of East Coker, in Somersetshire, to Sir Edward Pellew, now Lord Viscount Exmouth. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. n31)
During the civil war, Canon-Teign was garisoned for the King, and was esteemed a strong fort. In the month of December, 1645, it was taken by Sir Thomas Fairfax, and the command given to the parliamentary colonel, Okey, who afterwards suffered as one of the regicides. (fn. n32)
The barton of Kennich belonged to the Helyars: having passed by sale to Seymour, it was alienated by that family to Mr. Joseph Loveis, the present proprietor. Pope-house belonged formerly to the priory of Cowick, near Exeter, and is said to have been held by some Grey Friers under that monastery.
In the parish church are monuments of the families of Gibbon (fn. n33) and Davy (fn. n34) of Canon-Teign. The church of Christow belonged to the abbey of Bec, and having been seized by the crown as the property of an alien priory, was granted to the abbey of Tavistock, and became appropriated to that monastery. Upon the sale of Mr. Helyar's estates, the tithes were purchased by the several landholders. Lord Exmouth is now patron of the vicarage. There was formerly a chapel at Canon-Teign, and another at Kennick.
CHUDLEIGH, in the hundred of Exminster, and in the deanery of Kenne, is a market-town, ten miles from Exeter, and 182 from London.
A market on Mondays was granted to Walter Stapleton, bishop of Exeter, in the year 1309, together with a fair for three days at the festival of St. Barnabas. (fn. n35) The market is now held on Saturday for corn, butchers' meat, and other provisions; and there are three fairs; Easter Tuesday for horses, bullocks and sheep; the third Tuesday in June for sheep and bullocks; and the following day for horses; the second day was noted also for the sale of scythes, reaping-hooks, and other implements of husbandry; but the sale of these hath of late been discontinued; the third fair, called St. Matthew's, is held on the second of October, unless when that day happens on a Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, in which cases the fair is kept on the Tuesday following. This fair is chiefly for bullocks and sheep.
There was formerly a considerable woollen manufactory at Chudleigh, but since the introduction of machinery, it has been almost disused; a small woollen factory has been established of late near the town, but it employs very few hands.
The principal hamlets or villages in this parish are Waddon and Harcombe. About half a mile from the town are some limestone rocks, celebrated for their picturesque beauty.
In the year 1801 there were 360 houses in the parish of Chudleigh, and 1786 inhabitants. On the 22d of May, 1807, a terrible fire broke out, by which 166 houses were destroyed: the loss was estimated at 60,000l. The sum of 21,000l. was promptly collected by subscription, for the benefit of the poorer class of inhabitants. In the month of June, 1808, an act of parliament passed for the better and more easy rebuilding the town of Chudleigh, &c., and for determining differences touching houses burnt down or demolished by the late dreadful fire there, and for preventing future damages. It was not long before the town was rebuilt. In 1811, there were 370 houses in the parish, and 1832 inhabitants.
Sir Thomas Fairfax was quartered with his army at Chudleigh, the latter end of January, 1646. They arrived there on the 25th. (fn. n36)
The manor belonged from an early period to the see of Exeter (fn. n37); and the bishops had a palace here about a quarter of a mile from the town, of which there are still some remains. Bishop Lacy died at this palace in 1455. Bishop Veysey alienated the manor in 1550 to Thomas Brydges, Esq., by whom, or probably a son of the same name, it was conveyed, in 1598, to Thomas Hunt, Esq. Hugh Lord Clifford purchased it of John Hunt, Esq., in 1695: it is now the property of his descendant the Right Hon. Lord Clifford, whose chief country-seat is at Ugbrooke, in this parish.
Ugbrooke was formerly the residence of the precentors of Exeter cathedral. (fn. n38) It is probable that it was alienated in the reign of Edward VI., to Sir Peter Courtenay, whose daughter and co-heiress Anne brought it to Anthony Clifford, Esq., of Borscombe, in Wilts, descended from Sir Lewis Clifford, K.G., third son of Roger de Clifford, ancestor of the Earls of Cumberland. This Anthony died in 1580. Thomas his third son became possessed of Ugbrooke by his father's gift. This gentleman, after an active life spent in military and diplomatic occupations, when upwards of fifty years of age, turned his attention to divinity; distinguished himself by his theological attainments at the University; took the degree of D. D., and exercised the ecclesiastical functions till his death in 1634, without accepting of any preferment except that of a prebend of Exeter cathedral, to which he was collated by Bishop Carey in 1625. His grandson, in the early part of his life, distinguished himself as a naval officer. He became a favourite with King Charles II., and having filled some inferior offices, was in 1672 made Lord Treasurer, being one of the five persons who composed the ministry called from the initials of their names the CABAL. The same year he was created Baron Clifford of Chudleigh. Ugbrooke is now the seat of his descendant, Charles the sixth Lord Clifford. In the house are some good pictures by the old masters, particularly a very fine Titian, "The Woman taken in Adultery," and several family-portraits; among which are two of the Lord Treasurer, by Sir Peter Lely: one of them was taken when he was Comptroller of the Household; the other has been engraved for "Lodge's Portraits of eminent Statesmen."
In the chapel, which has been the burial-place of the family are the monuments of the Lord Treasurer Clifford, who died October 17. 1673 (fn. n39), and Hugh Lord Clifford, who died in 1783. The park, which has great natural beauties, has been much enlarged and improved by the late and present Lord Clifford.
Ugbrooke has been the subject of a poem by the Rev. Joseph Reece, many years chaplain to Lord Clifford's family. (fn. n40)
The Chudleighs who took their name from this place appear to have had an estate here in the reign of James and Charles I. Sir William Pole was mistaken in supposing that they possessed the manor. He mentions their having sold their estate in this parish, reserving only the mansion which had formerly been the residence of the family.
Lawell, in this parish, was the property and residence of the family of Eastchurch; some years ago, of James Shepherd, Esq. It was purchased by the late Lord Clifford after Mr. Shepherd's death, and is now the property of the present lord. The house is inhabited by his steward.
Whiteway, in this parish, was built by the late Lord Boringdon: it is now the property and seat of Montagu Parker, Esq., first-cousin of the present Earl of Morley. Hams was some time the property and residence of the family of Hunt; afterwards of the Ingletts: it passed successively by sale to Beach and Palk, and is now, by purchase from Sir Lawrence Vaughan Palk, Bart., the property of Lord Clifford, being occupied as a farm. Lord Clifford has purchased also Waddon, which belonged to the Rennells.
The parish church of Chudleigh was dedicated by Bishop Bronscombe in 1259 (fn. n41); but the architecture of the present fabric is of a later date: in this church are monuments, or inscribed grave-stones, for the families of Courtenay (fn. n42), Clifford (fn. n43), Woollcombe (fn. n44), Eastchurch (fn. n45), Inglett (fn. n46), Bennet (fn. n47), Hunt (fn. n48), Cholwich (fn. n49), Coysh (fn. n50), Rennell (fn. n51), Hellyer (fn. n52), and Burrington. (fn. n53) At Place, formerly the palace of the bishops, was a chapel dedicated to St. Michael. The rectory of this parish is appropriated to the precentor of Exeter cathedral, under whom it is held on lease by Lord Clifford. (fn. n54) The vicar is elected by such of the freeholders of the parish as possess a freehold of 5l. per annum, and are rated 1s. 3d. per rate to the poor. Chudleigh is a peculiar of the bishop's.
The Presbyterians have long had a meeting-house in this town.
The grammar-school at Chudleigh was founded in 1668 by John Pynsent, Esq., and endowed with 30l. per annum, issuing out of an estate at Croydon in Surrey.
Richard Eastchurch in 1692 gave 5l. per annum to this parish; one half of which was to be expended in the purchase of Bibles for the poor, and the other to be given to a person or persons to instruct poor children in reading the Scriptures. The land-tax being deducted, the parish receives 4l. 12s. 6d. per annum from this charity.
An Act of parliament, passed in 1813, for enclosing that part of Haldon (1500 acres) which is in the parish of Chudleigh: a considerable part has been planted with fir and larch.
CHULMLEIGH, in the hundred of Witheridge, and in the deanery of Chulmleigh, is a market town, 22 miles from Exeter, and 194½ miles from London. Chulmleigh is described as a borough in ancient records (fn. n55), but it does not appear that it ever sent burgesses to parliament.
A market on Mondays, and a fair at the festival of St. Mary Magdalen, were granted to John de Courtenay in or about the year 1253. (fn. n56) Friday is the present market-day: the corn-market is almost disused. There are now three cattle fairs: the third Friday in March, Wednesday in the Easter week, and the last Wednesday in July.
There was a destructive fire at Chulmleigh in the month of August, 1803; by which 95 houses were consumed. The damage of uninsured property was estimated at 11,000l. The village of Elston is in this parish.
Whitelock speaks of Colonel Okey's having had a successful skirmish with some of the king's forces near Chulmleigh in December, 1645.
The manor of Chulmleigh passed to the Courtenays, Earls of Devon, as parcel of the barony of Oakhampton. After the attainder of Henry Courtenay, Marquis of Exeter, it was granted to John Lord Russell. Risdon says that it was bestowed by one of the Russell family on his wife's daughter, widow of the Lord Grey. It was afterwards in the Duke of Beaufort's family; from whom it passed by successive sales to Wimpey and Wolfe. It is now, by purchase from Sir Jacob Wolfe, the property of the Rev. John Tossell Johnson of Ash-Reigny, who is proprietor also of the large barton of Cadbury in this parish. The lands of this manor were sold off in parcels, and are mostly the property of Richard Preston, Esq., M. P. The lords had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment within this manor. (fn. n57)
The Courtenay family had a castle at Chulmleigh, of which there are no remains; and a park, which has been converted into tillage more than 200 years.
The manor of Stone having passed by the same title as that of Eggesford, is now the property of the Honourable Newton Fellowes.
The manor of Newnham or Elston in this parish having been successively in the families of Glanville and Boscawen, passed by marriage to that of Fortescue, and is now the property of Hugh Earl Fortescue.
The manor of Coleton belonged from an early period to the family of Cole, whose heiress, in the reign of Richard II., married Bury. Thomas Bury, Esq., the last of this family, died in 1804; his widow gave this estate to Captain Richard Incledon, of the navy, who took the name of Bury, and is the present proprietor, having the rank of Vice Admiral of the White.
An estate called Garland in this parish gave name to an ancient family, and Prince supposes it to have been the birth-place of John de Garland, a poet of the eleventh century. This estate continued in the Garland family till nearly the year 1700, when it belonged to John Rowcliffe. By this person it was sold in moieties; one moiety to the ancestor of John Buller, Esq., who now possesses it; and the other to Anthony Reed, from whom it has passed to Mr. Roger Wensley, the present proprietor.
In 1772 there were chapels at Cadbury and Ladywell in this parish, both desecrated, and some remains of chapels at Coleton and Stone. (fn. n60)
The advowson of the rectory, which had, till within a century, been attached to the manor, is now vested in the representatives of the late Rev. Humphrey Aram Hole. It is probable that Chulmleigh was formerly a colle giate church, for there are still in this parish five prebends, the advowsons of which are also in the representatives of Mr. Hole. The institution to these prebends is separate from that of the rectory, and they had been held by different persons till of late years. The present rector holds them all as did his predecessor. They are called the prebends of Higher Hayne, or Higher Line; Lower Hayne, or Lower Line; Pennels, or Pendles; Dennis, or Denes; and Brokeland. It appears by the Chantry Roll of 1547 (fn. n61), that these prebends were founded by certain persons then unknown, "for the better ministry of God's service within the quire;" but it seems that some of them had been diverted to other uses. The prebends of Dennis and Pennels were then applied to the maintenance of two children who had no other means of support; and that of Higher Hayne was held by one Whithalf, an old serving-man in London. Lower Hayne was held by the parson of Kenne. The endowment of Higher Hayne was then valued at 5l. 3s. 4d. per annum. Lower Hayne at 5l.; Pennels at 5l. Denys, or Dennis, at 4l. 6s. and 8d.; and Brokeland at 4l. 11s. 4d.
There is an old-established meeting-house of the Presbyterians at Chulmleigh.
Mrs. Pyncombe gave 10l. per annum for the endowment of a charityschool.
Churchstow or Churstow
CHURCHSTOW or CHURSTOW, in the hundred of Stanborough, and in the deanery of Woodleigh, lies about two miles from Kingsbridge, of which it is the mother-church.
The manor, which had belonged to the abbey of Buckfastleigh, was purchased after the dissolution by Sir William Petre. It was sold by his descendant, Robert Edward, the ninth Lord Petre, about 1790, to Peter Tonkin, Esq., and Christopher Savery, Esq., in whom it is still vested. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. n62)
The barton of Ley belonged to Treby Hele Hayes, Esq., and has passed by successive sales to Aldham and Bickford. Mr. Stephen Bickford is the present proprietor.
Norton, in this parish, is the seat of John Hawkins, Esq. The barton of Osborn-Newton belongs to Abraham Hawkins, Esq., of Alston, in this parish. It belonged formerly to the Osbornes, a branch of the Duke of Leeds's family, which became extinct in 1707. Mr. Hawkins is great grandson of the last of the Osbornes (through the Gilberts). The barton of Elston belonged also to the Osbornes, one of whose coheiresses brought it to Buckley. Mrs. Buckley dying in 1735, bequeathed it to her husband. The son of John Lyde, Esq., his nephew and devisee, sold it to his brother-in-law, the late Walker Palk, Esq., who purchased also a freehold estate called North Parks, which had belonged to the Osbornes. These estates are now the property of Sir Henry Carew, Bart., in right of his wife, the sole heiress of Mr. Palk.
The great tithes which had been appropriated to the Abbey of Buckfastleigh, are now vested in the dean and chapter of Exeter. The Hawkins family had been lessees under the church of Exeter from the reign of Charles II. till the year 1782. The tithes have since been let to several persons as joint lessees. The king is patron of the vicarage.
CHURSTON-FERRERS, in the hundred of Haytor, and in the deanery of Ipplepen, lies on the Torbay coast, about a mile and a half from Brixham. The village of Galmton is in this parish.
This place takes its name from the ancient family of Ferrers, to whom it some time belonged. It was afterwards, for many descents, the property and residence of the Yardes, whose heiress married the late Sir Francis Buller, Bart., late one of the Justices of the King's Bench. It is now held by the trustees of his grandson. The old mansion at Churston is or was lately occupied by the Honourable George Vernon, son of Lord Vernon. The offices have been fitted up as a farm-house for the tenant of the barton.
The manor of Greenway, which had been given by William the Conqueror to Walter de Douay, was for many descents in the family of Gilbert. Sir Humphrey Gilbert, the celebrated navigator, second son of Otho Gilbert, Esq., was a native of this place. Sir Henry's eldest son eventually inherited both Greenway and Compton Castle, the ancient seat of the family. This manor was afterwards in the Roopes. It is now the joint property of James Marwood Elton, Esq.; the trustees of the Buller family; and the representatives of the late Rev. George Taylor. Greenway-house is the seat of James Marwood Elton, Esq.
Churston-Ferrers is a daughter-church to Brixham, and served by the vicar of Brixham or his curate.
CLANNABOROUGH, in the hundred of North-Tawton, and in the deanery of Chulmleigh, lies about five miles from Crediton.
The manor, in the reign of Henry III., belonged to the family of Holsworthy; afterwards to that of Dennis. I understand that no manerial rights are claimed or exercised in the parish. In the parish church is a memorial for Richard Freke, who died in 1800 at the age of 90. The King is patron of the rectory.
CLAWTON, in the hundred of Black Torrington, and in the deanery of Holsworthy, lies about three miles from Holsworthy.
When the survey of Domesday was taken, the manor of Clawton was held in demesne by Joel de Totneis. Upon his banishment it was given to Roger Novant: from the Novants it passed by sale to Chudleigh, and from that family to Sir John Hele, Serjeant at law. John Allyn was lord of the manor of Clawton in 1620. (fn. n65)
The only manor now known in the parish is that of Affaland, which belongs to Sir Arscott Ourry Molesworth, Bart., by inheritance from the Arscotts.
Blagdon gave name to a family who possessed it at an early period; this small estate is now the property of William Cann, yeoman. Kempthorne belonged to the family of Le Pedlear, from the reign of Richard I. to that of Edward III. They were succeeded by a younger branch of the Leys, who were called Ley alias Kempthorne. Both these estates have long been alienated from the families of their original possessors.
The impropriate tithes which belonged to the priory of Cornworthy, were purchased, together with the advowson of the curacy in 1788, by the Rev. Thomas Melhuish. They are now vested in the Rev. Thomas Melhuish, jun. There is neither glebe nor house belonging to the benefice.