Register and Records of Holm Cultram. Originally published by T Wilson & Son, Kendal, 1929.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
6. (C. p. 9).—A tenement in Carlisle granted to Guido the merchant; rent 12d. [c. 1200; part of the charter is lost; see nos. 37–40].
7. (C. p. 10).—Robert de Stutevill grants, as his father did, to Guido the merchant (mercenarius) a tenement near the capital messuage (baronia) of Peter de Tilliol in Rickergate (in vico Ricardi); rent half a mark. [Robert, founder of Rosedale priory, succeeded his father Nicholas in 1206; the younger Peter de Tilliol succeeded about 1204; the date therefore is 1206 or later.]
8. (C. p. 10).—John de Bothilton surrenders to Wydo [i.e. Guido] the merchant a life-interest in the messuage he [John] holds of him in marriage with his daughter Maria, near the capital messuage of Symon de Tyllol; rent 9d. [Simon died in 1201.]
9. (C. pp. 10, 11).—Henry f. William de Carlisle … [Nearly illegible, but see nos. 10, 41, 42. Date about 1200.]
10. (C. pp. 11, 12).—Henry f. William grants land at Carlisle near the castle, on which he had built two houses with houses above them [i.e. of two storeys], to the abbey of Holm, for lights round the altars. [Much defaced; no. 42 seems to be a copy of the same, c. 1200.]
11. (C. p. 12).—The abbey grants a piece of land in Carlisle [between the houses of Thomas Spenser and of Robert] de Tybay. [Defaced, but explained by no. 41. Thomas Dispensator witnessed early 13th century and Robert f. Herbert de Tibay is mentioned 1200 to c. 1240 (Wetheral, 179f., 290). The date soon after 1200.]
12. (C. p. 13; D. art. 53).—Hugh de Morevill grants to Holm abbey the church of Burgh at the next vacancy, to supply lights, wine and necessaries for the sacrament at the altar. Witnesses— Thomas f. Cospatric, Thomas de Brunefeld, etc. [Mr. T. H. B. Graham remarks that this is not a gift of the next presentation but an attempted gift of the advowson void as against the heir, because it did not vest the property instantly; so the defect is cured by no. 15. Date c. 1200.]
13. (C. p. 13; H. 2; D. art. 10).—Richard de Lucy confirms to Holm, for the souls of Hugh de Morevill and others, the church of Burgh which Hugh, the true patron, gave the monks. Note: the church of Burgh was endowed with 24 acres arable on either side of Staynbryg in Burgh and 5 acres meadow on the west of Stainbryg. [See. pedigree p. 2. c. 1203.]
14. (C. p. 13).—Look among the privileges of our lord Pope for the confirmation concerning the church of Burgh. [See no. 282, c. 1200.]
15. (C. pp. 13, 14).—Hugh de Morevill grants to the abbey the church of Burgh and its appurtenances, for providing lights, wine and ornaments in the church of Holm and for the ministry of the altar and the sacraments of Christ. Witnesses—Thomas f. Cospatric, etc. [c. 1200.]
16. (C. p. 14).—B[ernard], bishop of Carlisle confirms [no. 15]. Witnesses—Thomas, prior of Wederhal, etc. [Dated by the bishop 1204–14.]
17. (C. pp. 14, 15).—John, prior of Lanercost, in presence of Hugh [de Bello Loco], bishop of Carlisle, and others, renounces the patronage of Burgh church and 5 marks a year, which Lanercost had received by an agreement with Holm abbey. All documents relating to the case are given up to the bishop in consequence of his judgment that the agreement was uncanonical. Witnesses—Hugh, bishop of Carlisle, etc. [The V.C.H. Cumberland, ii, 160n. dates this 1200.]
18. (C. pp. 15, 16).—H[ugh], bishop of Carlisle, finds that the agreement between Holm and Lanercost [above] was irregular and must be quashed. Witnesses—the prior of Gyseburne, etc. [The date given in the MS. is 1230, but Bishop Hugh died in Burgundy, June 24, 1223, and therefore, as Bishop Nicolson pointed out (p. 1), the date is 1220.]
19. (C. pp. 16, 17).—Hugh, bishop of Carlisle, confirms to Holm the church of Burgh, of which the patronage was granted by Hugh de Morevill, in consideration of the monks' religion and hospitality to the poor and to strangers, with all tithes, fruits, obventions, etc., requiring that they provide a suitable vicar and give him a proper allowance. Witness—R[obert], abbot of St. Mary's, York; vii Kal. Oct. [Here again the MS. is in error in making the date 1230. It must be Sept. 26, 1220.]
20. (C. p. 17).—Walter, bishop of Carlisle, confirms the gift of Burgh church. The monks agree that the vicars they appoint shall receive offerings at the altar, tithes of hay, and land formerly held by William Surrays, but not tithes of wool, lambs and some kinds [not specified] of fish; and the vicars must bear all ordinary expenses. The abbey has presented and the bishop accepts one Peter as vicar. Witnesses—Radulph, prior of Carlisle, Gervase the archdeacon, etc. Dated the day before the Ides of April [1234. The year is entered as 1230, but Radulph was not then prior.]
21. (C. pp. 17, 18).—Radulph [de Barri], prior of St. Mary's, Carlisle [1231–47] confirms the above .
22. (C. p. 18; D. art. 11, 54).—Johanna, daughter of Hugh de Morevill, for the soul of her husband Richard de Gernon and others confirms [no. 20. c. 1240].
22a. (Hesleyside MSS. no. 3).—Richard Gernun, by desire of his wife Johanna, confirms Hugh's gift of Burgh church. Witnesses—Radulph de la Ferte, Richard f. Radulph, Roger Folioth, William de Toresbi, Adam de Wigeton, Thomas de Brumfeld, William de Bochardebi, Fabian de Ayketun and Richard his brother, Alan Buche and the whole chapter of Cumberland. [c. 1204. The following pedigree is kindly communicated by Mr. T. H. B. Graham.]
23. (C. pp. 18, 19).—B[ernard], bishop of Carlisle, confirms Hugh's gift of Burgh church, mentioning Pope Innocent's indulgence to the abbey, and the venerable William, abbot. The vicar of Burgh is to receive offerings at the altar and 3 marks yearly from the hand of the cellarer of the abbey. [William de Coucy resigned the abbacy in 1215 to become abbot of Melrose, where he died 1223. Innocent 111 was Pope 1198–1216. Bernard was bishop 1204–14. The date is 1204 or soon after].
23a. (H. 2).—A[dam], abbot, and the convent of Holmcoltran grant to the convent of Lanercost 10 measures (bled') of salt yearly from their cellar at Martinmas. Witnessed by the chapter. [Adam of Kendal was abbot 1215–23.]
23b. (H. 2).—Gervase, abbot [1274–79], and the convent of Holmcoltran have inspected and confirm the charter of Sir A. de Kendale.
24. (C. pp. 19, 20; D. art. 55).—Hugh de Morevill grants to the abbey one net at Polleburc [Powburgh beck, Burgh] and other places on the Edene, in common with the tenantry of Burg, and one booth (botha) and a place for drying nets, with all easements for the fishery. [1167–1203.]
25. (C. p. 20; H. 2; D. art. 56).—Radulph the prior and the canons of St. Mary's, Carlisle, agree to allow Holm abbey a tithe of the fish caught in the Eden at Fleming halse, Uuerhalse [or Werhalse, ' Weirhause' ?] and Depedraif. The case was tried before the abbot of Calder and others, but finally settled by Walter, bishop of Carlisle, who decided that a tithe of fish caught in the Eden in Routheclif parish belonged to the canons as rectors of [Rockcliff] church; but for the sake of concord Holmcoltran should pay 2s. a year at Pentecost in acknowledgment. Witnesses—Gervase de Louther, archdeacon of Carlisle [1230- after 1234], Walter de Ulvesbi, official of Carlisle [1230–c. 1239] and Masters Robert de Oterington [archdeacon 1230] and John de Noketon [rector of Dalston 1251. These witnesses date the agreement, as Nicolson and Burn, ii, 223, point out, c. 1234.]
25a. (H. 2; Hesleyside MSS. no. 6).—William f. Dermann grants to the church of St. Michael of Burg one rood in Witholm lying low and close on the east to the 3 roods owned by the church. Witnesses—Radulph de Feritate, Gilebert his brother, Robert f. Dermann, Simon de Sabulonibus, Thomas and Nicholas his brother de Turstanfeld, Adam de Dikis, Peter, chaplain of the said church. [Nicolson & Burn, ii, 220, date this 1234.]
25b. (H. 2).—Adam f. Dermann grants to the church of St. Michael of Burgh the land between the dyke on the west and the house of William Laveroc on the east. [c. 1234.]
25c. (H. 2).—Adam f. Dermann grants to Holm abbey land in Burgh named Buttes, near the tower (turellum) of Radulph Wallensis on the east, with the tower occupied by Andrew the chaplain. [Adam and Radulph witnessed 1234–36 (C. & W. Trans. n.s. xxvi, 542) and Peter, vicar of Burgh, was 'then dean.']
25d. (H. 1).—Radulph Wallensis has received all the lands which Adam f. Dermann gave for the lights of the altar of St. Katerine in Burgh church. He is to pay yearly at Carlisle fair two pounds of wax for the same altar. If he fails, Peter, vicar of Burgh, and Adam f. Dermann or their representatives can distrain. He quitclaims all the land he held, formerly belonging to Robert the baker in Burgh, to Adam f. Dermann, within the close which Adam's father made with a dyke at Dykes, for two plots, one half-acre and one half a rood, on Halleflat. Witnesses—Simon de Sandis, Adam Coghel, Reginald f. Uutred, etc. [c. 1237.]
25e. (H. 2).—Simon de Sabulonibus [Sandis] grants to Holm a plot of land 50 feet long and 30 feet broad at Polleburgh on the bank of the Poll [pool, Powburgh] which falls into the marsh of Burgh and into the Eden, at a place near the Polle on the west, where the monks may build a house. Also at the northern end of the said house, towards Burgh, on land nearer the Polle, a plot of 4 feet broad and of the same length for spreading out a net to dry. [c. 1234.]
25f. (H. 1).—At Martinmas 1299 the abbey of Holm let to fee farm to William f. Gilbert of Burgh the land which Reginald del Dikes formerly held of the monks in Burgh-on-Sands; and half an acre which Stephen del Grene formerly held of them between the land of Sir Robert de Wyterigg and that of Radulph f. Peter in the same vill. William is to build a sufficient house on that half-acre at his own cost, and to pay the monks 9s. yearly. If he fails in payment or in keeping up the house or land, the monks can enter and resume possession. [1299.]
25g. (H. 2).—William f. Gilbert of Burgh quitclaims to Holm the land in Burgh-on-Sands which he held on ferm from the abbey, the same that Reginald del Dykes held on ferm from the monks; with half an acre which Stephen del Grene formerly held of them in that vill. [After 1299.]
25h. (H. 2).—After a controversy between Holm abbey and Sir Gilbert de Feritate, rector of the church of Bounes [Bownesson-Solway], it was agreed by the authority of the bishop in the chapter of Carlisle, in the matter of tithes payable for the fishery of one standing net (rete stantivum), that Sir Gilbert allowed the abbey to receive all tithes of fishery, both of this and wherever the parishioners of Burgh fished on the shore of the Eden; and Sir Gilbert should receive all tithes of fishery from his own parishioners of Bounes and Drombogh, wherever they fished, except at Polleburgh. [c. 1225.]
25i. (H. 2).—Inquisition at Burgh before John de Eure, escheator beyond Trent, Monday after Palm Sunday, 8 Edward [I] by Thomas Lefdyman, John Batman, William f. William, William f. Walter, Reginald Pynel and Adam Waleis, jury. They find that all tenants of Holm abbey ought to grind at Burgh mill to the 21st vessel; also that they should not give dry multure [multura sicca, money payment] of their corn sold or to be sold. The tenants are quit of attachments. [1280.]
25j. (H. 1).—Lands forming the endowment of Burgh church when it was first given to Holmcoltran:—one acre on the south side of the vill of Burgh, which was held at the first foundation by a chaplain, one Sir Swain; at Stainbrigg 4 tofts and 24 acres in various places; on the western side of Stainbeck 5 acres of meadow; on the moor 3 tofts and 24 acres of land with meadow ['also 10 acres' is added in another hand]; in the vill of Burgh 10 acres formerly held by Radulph f. Elwin; in Burgh 2½ acres in various places formerly held by Dermann Pride; on the west of the abbey's manor 12 tofts formerly held by Richard Basket and Henry Cock [see no. 1]; in Winmerby 3 acres near the gate to the moor on the west side ['also 2 tofts in Burgh' is added in another hand]. Lands given after the endowment of the church:—by Adam del Dikes a yearly rent of 6d.; by Sir T. de Multon 3 roods of land to enlarge the court [see no. 3] of the abbot, by leave of the king.