Register and Records of Holm Cultram. Originally published by T Wilson & Son, Kendal, 1929.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
109. (C. p. 76; D. art. 81).—Robert de Brus [le Meschin; see pedigree p. 34] grants to the monks of Holmcoltran that house in the vill of Herterpol which formerly was the capital mansion of Peter le Grant; rent 5d. a year. [Before 1194.]
110. (C. p. 77; D. art. 81).—Robert de Brus, lord of Annandale, grants the abbot and monks of Holm right of way in his lands, both in England and in Scotland, by letters patent dated 1157. [The right of way in Scotland may be explained by no. 133a.]
111. (C. p. 77).—Herbert the miller of Herterpol sells and exchanges to Peter le Grant (magnus), serjeant of Sir Robert de Brus, all his land adjoining that of Robert his brother on the north, for land formerly held by Thebelot the miller, for 10s. paid by Peter. [Before 1194.]
112. (C. p. 78; D. art. 81).—Peter le Grantt, burgess of Herterpol, grants to Holm abbey the land at Herterpol where he dwelt, adjoining that of Robert the miller to the north, with all the easements of a burgage; and the croft fenced with a wall, which belonged to Robert, chaplain of Hert[erpol] with his two tofts. Dues to the landlord for the place where he dwelt, 5d. a year, and for the two tofts and the croft 16d. [Before 1194.]
113. (C. p. 78; D. art. 81).—Roger le Grant, burgess of Herterpol, and his heirs are bound by oath to God and St. Mary and the house of Holmcoltran to pay yearly 20s. in silver at Holmcoltran for land which Peter le Grant his brother granted the monks in the vill of Herterpol adjoining land of Peter the miller on the north, with buildings, etc. and for a croft fenced with a wall, formerly belonging to Robert, chaplain of Hert[erpol] with his two tofts. The abbey to pay the landlord for the place where Peter le Grant lived 5d. a year, and for the two tofts and the croft 16d. yearly. Roger will do forinsec service and will give his best advice and help in every way. [Soon after no. 112.]
113a. (H. 2).—a.d. 1300, Saturday before St. Matthew [Sept. 21st], an agreement was made between the abbot, etc. of Holm and Richard de Baumburgh, burgess of Herterpol, and Agnes his wife, that the abbot, etc. should let to them to fee farm all the abbey's land in Herterpol which Roger le Graunt and William his son held in fee farm; i.e. a place which Gilbert f. Peter formerly held in Northgate between the land of Henry le Archer and the lane (venella) towards the sea, and a place which William le Cracker [? Crocker, potter] once held in Uuirgate, and a croft enclosed with a stone wall between the lane to the mill and the croft of Agnes de Witebi, in length and breadth as William le Graunt once held it. Rent one mark of silver at Martinmas, and all forinsec service to be done. The first rent to be paid at Martinmas, 1301.