Register and Records of Holm Cultram. Originally published by T Wilson & Son, Kendal, 1929.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
114. (C. p. 79).—Elyas f. Adam confirms to Holmcoltran abbey a perch of land in Wygetun which his father granted, in his croft to the south of his house, as the charter of his lord Udard states [no. 115]. Witnesses—Richard f. Aschetill, W[ ] his brother, William de la Ferte, Adam the parson, William, parson of Thoresby [Thursby], Bernard his brother, Adam f. Richard de Waverton, etc. [Udard is probably Odard II f. Adam I, who died in 1208.]
115. (C. p. 79; D. art. 75).—Udard f. Adam confirms to Holmcoltran one perch of land in Wygetun which Adam f. Lambert and Helyas his son granted to the monks, in his croft on the south of his house; also pasture for ten cows and their calves up to two years old, and two horses and ten swine with pigs to one year old, and all easements customary in the vill; [before 1208 ?].
115b. (H. 2).—Award by Richard de Resindon, official of Carlisle, and Robert de Suthayk, rector of Bothecastle [Bewcastle] in a dispute between Holmcoltran abbey, impropriators of the parish church of Wygetone, diocese of Carlisle, and Dan William de Kirkeby, perpetual vicar of the same, as to charges to be borne by each party. [Canon James Wilson in V.C.H. Cumberland ii, 172, quotes from Bishop Welton's register the statement that in 1362 abbot Robert had a dispute with William, perpetual vicar of Wigton about the will of William de Bromfield. But Robert is not named here as abbot, and the award must have been earlier than his election in 1350.]
115c. (D. art. 23).—Inquisition at Wyggeton before John de Louthre, escheator beyond Trent, February 5th, 6 Edward III; jury—Thomas de Redman, Gilbert de Holteclo, Ranulf de Osmunderlawe, Hugh de Bromfield, John de Ireby, Adam de Langrigge, Thomas de Langrigge, Thomas de la Ferte, Ranulph de Daneby, Robert de Vaus, Alan de Arcleby senior, and William del Lathes; who found that it was not to the king's hurt if he allowed John Gernoun and his wife Margaret [de Wigton] to grant to Holmcoltran one acre in Wyggeton and the advowson of the church. The land and advowson are held from Sir Anthony de Lucy for ½d. a year; the acre is worth 6d. a year, and the church £6. Antony de Lucy is mesne lord between the king and John and Margaret, who still have three parts of the manor of Wyggeton held of Sir A. de Lucy by cornage, paying him five marks a year and suit of court at Cockermouth; and the two [? three] parts of the manor are worth £40 a year, and the lands, etc. of John and Margaret, over and above the intended grant, suffice for their customs and services, etc. [Margaret was heiress of John f. Walter de Wigton; she was wife to Sir John Gernon from some date after 1327 (the date of her previous husband's death) until John Gernon's death in 1334 (see Dr. Magrath's detailed account in C. & W. Trans, N.S. xix, 41ff). She appears to have granted the rectory to the abbey in reward for the abbot's help in the great lawsuit regarding her legitimacy. This grant to Holm abbey occurs in F.F. 6 Edward III, 1332.]