The Later Records Relating To North Westmorland Or the Barony of Appleby. Originally published by Titus Wilson and Son, Kendal, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
On 12 May, 1800, Mr. John Richardson the Clerk of the Peace made report upon the County Records as follows:—
1. The public Records in the custody of the Clerk of the Peace are the Commissions of the Peace; Bills of Indictments; Recognizances; Rolls of persons who have taken and subscribed the Oaths of Office and Certificates of their having received previously the Sacrament, commencing in 1724; Books containing Orders of Sessions and copies of Indictments, commencing in 1599; Books containing the registry of the names of Papists and their real estates; Copies of Awards of Commissions for inclosing Commons; Rules of Friendly Societies; Treasurer's accounts; Rolls of Orders of removal of paupers and orders in bastardy; Bonds for rebuilding and keeping in repair the public bridges; Lists of persons qualified to serve on juries; Land Tax Assessments etc. etc.
2. The building where the Records are lodged is at Lowther and in good repair, the property of the Custos Rotulorum of the County, held during his Lordship's pleasure without rent being paid for same.
3. The Records are in a good state of preservation and each sort regularly arranged according to their date.
On 28 April, 1813, an additional room was ordered to be built to the Shire Hall "above stairs over the Record Room for the like purpose of containing the Records of the County."
On 15 April, 1822, a Committee of Magistrates examined the Records and reported to the Court:—
(a) That no Sessions Records can be found before 1601.
(b) That they existed from 1601 to 1605.
(c) That from 1606 to 1660 all Records were lost.
(d) That they existed from 1660 onward.
To-day the earliest Indictment Book for the Bottom of Westmorland is for 1661 to 1685.