The Later Records Relating To North Westmorland Or the Barony of Appleby. Originally published by Titus Wilson and Son, Kendal, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Sir Christopher Wren.
Sir Robert Smirke.
He was the second son of Robert Smirke who was born at Wigton in 1752, became an R.A. in 1793, who executed the famous mezzotint of John Christian Curwen in 1791 and who was noted for the beauty of the innumerable coats-of-arms he painted on coach panels. The eldest son, Richard (1778–1815) became an antiquarian draughtsman of great ability and was employed by the Society of Antiquaries to make facsimiles from ancient paintings in St. Stephen's Chapel at Westminster.
Robert, the second son was born in London in 1781. He entered the schools of the Royal Academy and in 1796 became articled to Sir John Soane who was then occupied with the building of the Bank of England; in 1799 he gained the Academy Gold Medal, was elected A.R.A. in 1808 and R.A. in 1811. He was Knighted in 1832. Most of his works, both public and private were classical, massive in construction, heavy and sombre in treatment. He was employed on the London Mint in 1809; was surveyor to the Inner Temple where he erected the Library and Dining Hall between the years 1814 and 1828; in 1829 he was occupied with the restoration of York Minster after the fire; the east wing of Somerset House; the central portion of the London Customs House; the College of Physicians in Trafalgar Square, and many clubs. But his two finest and best known works were the General Post Office in St. Martins-le-Grand and the main facade of the British Museum.
In his younger days he rebuilt Lowther Castle between the years 1802 and 1808; in 1810 the southern tower of Carlisle Citadel; and in 1812 the cloister to the church of St. Laurence at Appleby. His restoration of Crosby Ravensworth church between the years 1809 and 1816 was not a happy one. He retired in 1845 and died on 18 April, 1867, aged 86.
He was born in 1799, educated at Durham and went up to London as an apprentice to John Nash. So thorough was his work and so high his merit that in after years he became recognised as the greatest authority on medieval military architecture. The Prince Consort chose him to restore the Curfew Tower, the Hundred Steps and Henry vii's Library at Windsor; also the Beauchamp Tower, White Tower, St. Thomas' Tower and the Traitor's Gate at the Tower of London. The castles of Carisbrook, Carnarvon, Bangor, Newark-upon-Trent, Durham, Warwick, Warkworth (1853–8), Dunster and Brancepeth, in turn were restored by him. He almost rebuilt Alnwick Castle. In our district he directed the preservation of Lanercost Priory; he restored the mansions of Greystoke (1840), Newbiggin (1844), Naworth (1845), Hutton-in-the-Forest (1845), Whitehall and Muncaster. He built Patterdale Church, the parsonage houses of Keswick and Denton and the County Hotel at Carlisle. At the age of 82 he died at Haselmere in 1881.
Joseph S. Crowther.
Of the firm of Messrs. Bowman and Crowther of Manchester, who restored Manchester Cathedral. In 1859–60 he built the vicarage at Kendal; built Staveley Church in 1863, and restored Kendal Parish Church between the years 1864–68. But the work that he will be best known by in our district was his wonderful restoration of Crosby Ravensworth Church, under Canon Weston, between the years 1850 and 1886.
Known chiefly as the great architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In 1853 he commenced to restore Carlisle Cathedral and the Canonry in 1856. In 1863 he restored St. Laurence's church at Appleby.
Charles John Ferguson.
He was the younger son of Joseph Ferguson of Carlisle and brother to the late Chancellor. After serving his articles with J. A. Cory he was chiefly occupied in building or restoring the churches of the neighbourhood. But he also did fine work in domestic Gothic architecture as is seen in his restorations of Naworth and Muncaster castles. He built Tebay Church in 1880; restored Ormside Church in 1885-6; and built a new wing to Newbiggin Hall in 1981. He died in 1904 at the age of sixty-four years.