A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
These were erected at various points outside the Walls, to mark the extreme limits of the City Liberties, and consisted of posts, rails and a chain. At Temple Bar, these were afterwards replaced by a Gate.
Bartholomew (St.) beside St. Anthony
Bartholomew (St.) by the Exchange
Forms of name : " St. Bartholomew the Less " (H. III. Anc. Deeds, A. 1678), and throughout the 14th and 15th centuries (Ct. H.W.). " Little St. Bartholomew," 1312 (Cal. L. Bk. D. p. 288) and 1355 (L. Bk. G. p. 46). " St. Bartholomew near the Exchange," 1647 (Ct. H.W. II. 764). " lytyll saynt Bathellmuw besyd sunt Antony's " (Machyn's Diary, p. 3, 1550-1). Rebuilt 1438 (S. 186).
Burnt in the Fire 1666 and rebuilt by Wren 1679. Taken down 1840-1 to make room for the new Royal Exchange and the materials sold by auction 1841, the south wall and the chapel above mentioned being reserved to be built into the Sun Fire Office. Some of the carved masonry, the old pulpit, organ, etc., were preserved in the church erected 1849-50 in Moor Lane, in the style of St. Bartholomew by the Exchange.
Bartholomew (St.) Chapel, within the Hospital
Bartholomew (St.) Court
Bartholomew (St.) Moor Lane
Built partly out of the materials and fittings of St. Bartholomew's by the Exchange (q.v.), which had been recently taken down. The tower of the new church was a facsimile of the old one. Church taken down and the parish united to St. Giles Cripplegate, much of the parish having been swept away for the formation of the Metropolitan Railway,1862-5.
Bartholomew (St.) the Great
Originally the church of St. Bartholomew's Priory, West Smithfield, a portion of it was, at the Dissolution, reconstructed for a parish church to remain and be called the parish church of St. Bartholomew the Great in Westsmythfelde, and John Dean the curate was appointed the first Rector, 36 H. VIII. 1544 (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (i), p. 377).
The church is of Norman work, and has in parts been well preserved and restored. It consists of the choir and transepts of the monastic church, the nave having been destroyed at the Dissolution in 1539. The only portion remaining of the west facade is the gateway out of West Smithfield, giving entrance to the church. This is early 13th-century work.
The choir is Norman, commenced 1123, the clerestory Early English. The Lady Chapel 15th-century work. The church was restored in 1863-6 and again in 1885-88, when the Lady Chapel, which had been used as a fringe factory, was restored and reopened for use. One or two bays of the cloisters remain on the south side of the church. The nave extended into Smithfield. The tomb of the founder Rahere is a good specimen of Perpendicular work, but of much later date than his decease.
The parish comprises the site of the ancient priory and its precinct. It is interesting to note that having been at one time a monastic enclosure, there is no great thoroughfare running through the parish and several of the smaller passages were in former times closed by gates.
The origin of the foundation is set out in the monastic chartulary and is ascribed to a vision granted to Rahere the founder, in which St. Bartholomew appeared to rescue him from a winged monster, who in his dream had seized him and was about to destroy him, after which St. Bartholomew directed him to found a church in his honour in Smithfield (Cott. MS. Vesp. B. ix.).
Bartholomew (St.) the Great, Churchyard
Bartholomew (St.) the Less
As the parish church of St. Bartholomew by the Exchange was known in early records as " the Little " it is probable that early references to " St Bartholomew's the Little "refer to that church, and not to this chapel belonging to the hospital. Arnold describes it as " The chapell wythin Bartholomew Spitell," 1521 (Chron. p. 255).
In 1547, after the reconstruction of the Hospital at the Dissolution, it was ordained that the church within the site of the Hospital was to be a parish church called the church of " St. Bartholomew the Little " for all inhabitants within the site and close of the Hospital, 38 H. VIII. (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (1), p. 416).